Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Favourite Stones Films?
Posted by: bennyboy ()
Date: July 30, 2013 13:39

Am a recent convert to the Stones, so currently trying to absorb as much quality stuff of theirs as I can.

Filmwise, I've currently got and watched

Stones in Exile
C*cksucker Blues
Shine A Light
Crossfire Hurricane

Which others would you recommend?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-30 13:43 by bennyboy.

Re: Favourite Stones Films?
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 30, 2013 13:41

Get "Ladies & Gentlemen, the Rolling Stones". The top of Mount Rock. Pure concert, no filler. The Some Girls Live video is quite good. Gimme Shelter is a fine film but somewhat depressing with the Altamont stuff. The concert sequences away from Altamont are worth seeing though.

Posted by: bennyboy ()
Date: July 30, 2013 13:43

crholmstrom
Get "Ladies & Gentlemen, the Rolling Stones". The top of Mount Rock. Pure concert, no filler. The Some Girls Live video is quite good. Gimme Shelter is a fine film but somewhat depressing with the Altamont stuff. The concert sequences away from Altamont are worth seeing though.

Cheers - was looking at Ladies & Gentelemen, so will grab that one next.

Date: July 30, 2013 13:46

I would also add 'Stones in the Park' (Hyde Park 1969 gig) and Rock 'n' Roll Circus as essential viewing!

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: July 30, 2013 13:51

The Live At Hampton '81 bootleg (widely available) is also a must - with great backstage footage as well as an awesome performance on stage.

Or the official, but not quite as good, document of the '81 tour - 'Let's spend the Night together'.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 30, 2013 13:55

I've got to get Crossfire Hurricane on DVD.

Otherwise, there's these:

Charly is my darling
One Plus One (aka Sympathy for the devil)
Gimme Shelter (all-time fave)

Honorable mention - Stones in Exile

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 30, 2013 14:00

none of them. they're all over-edited, or the performance is too hyper or its a context they don't thrive in..(Altamont, or the Hal Ashby one)

live in Texas is fun but a good concert film, not comprehensive..

the movie about them or film, would have to be a long form documentary that re-enacts several key event and does so without histrionics..

I like Crossfire for the co-operation from the Stones, though..

Posted by: dannyhowells ()
Date: July 30, 2013 17:15

Gimme Shelter .. probably my favourite movie ever. Depressing, yes, but an incredible movie. Still never fails to take my breath away.

25x5 was (and is) a great documentary .. well worth tracking down. There are VHS rips out there somewhere.

Ladies & Gentlemen, of course!
and .. let's not forget ..

C.O.C.K.S.U.C.K.E.R BLUES!
I initially thought this movie was really dull .. couldn't really tell what was going on, kind of overrated due to the more controversial scenes. But the more I watched it, the more I've grown to truly love it. For me, this and Ladies & Gentlemen are perfect partners and give an amazing insight into life in the Stones in 72, both on AND off stage.

The others mentioned are great .. Crossfire Hurricane and Exile I enjoyed, though still think I enjoy 25x5 and also the three part Let It Bleed docco more.

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: July 30, 2013 17:39

The biggest bang is pretty good the bridges to babylon dvd is also good a bit on the harder to find side. Also check out charlie is my darling you really need to watch some girls live in texas 78 it is fantastic

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-30 18:44 by Godxofxrock9.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: July 30, 2013 17:56

Charlie Is My Darling is a killer !!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 30, 2013 19:22

Check out 25x5, it was made two decades ago yet it covers more ground than Crossfire Hurricane!

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 30, 2013 19:34

bennyboy
Am a recent convert to the Stones, so currently trying to absorb as much quality stuff of theirs as I can.

Filmwise, I've currently got and watched

Stones in Exile
C*cksucker Blues
Shine A Light
Crossfire Hurricane

Which others would you recommend?

I misread this initial post. I do have my own personal favorites, but to recommend...

Definitely 'Gimme Shelter.' An excellent (although highly edited one) document of the 1969 American tour, with a killer ending.

And:
Charly is my darling (or is it 'Charlie is my darling'?).

One Plus One (aka 'Sympathy for the devil')

I wish someone would put all those youtube videos of the early press conferences, group interviews from 1963-1966 on one dvd...they're all great, fascinating to watch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-30 19:35 by nightskyman.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 30, 2013 19:38

25x5 was updated and improved in 2002. Let It Bleed is the title - best documentary to date.
Stripped is another one I'd call indispensable, and the documentaries that accompany Four Flicks are quite good too.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: July 30, 2013 20:03

Live in Texas, Charlie is my darling, Ladies and Gentlemen, Gimme Shelter and C Blues.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: July 30, 2013 20:16

with sssoul
25x5 was updated and improved in 2002. Let It Bleed is the title - best documentary to date.
Stripped is another one I'd call indispensable, and the documentaries that accompany Four Flicks are quite good too.

does anyone know where one could find Let It Bleed documentary... Youtube ???

Posted by: dannyhowells ()
Date: July 30, 2013 22:46

I've got the AVI files from here but I think there were also links to a dvd. Don't know where they are though or whether they're still active.
Great docco though. Would like to get the dvd version as I think the AVI was a tiny bit out of sync.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 992
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home