Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

When Marie Gillet-a nurse- looked after Brian Jones in 1967
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 30, 2011 11:33

Room Nb 13,CHU of ALBI (France ),1967 Photo DDM, Jean-Marie Lamboley

[www.ladepeche.fr]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marie Gillet was a nurse in the CHU of Albi,France.She remembers

The greyness recovered the "tarnaise " countryside , end of February, 1967. Marie Gillet,a nurse supervisor(guard) in the cardiology care unit of the hospital c of Albi, was on guard. " I bring you a girl ", said the ambulance driver Francis Escaffre by entrusting her a person whith a young face framed by a fair hair. " We could think that it was a girl ", tells today Marie Gillet. But at this time Marie could not imagine that the patient of whom she had just taken care was a living God, the icon of a whole generation. It was Brian Jones, a guitarist and a founder of the most famous rock band of the planet: The Rolling Stones.
Marie Gillet is 80 years old today. And an intact memory. Brian Jones? Say his name, she will say to you the rest. Let's go !
" The weather was grey, it was at nightfall. When he arrived, in a silky satin cremates suit , he looked bad, breathless. I made him an intravenous injection with Cédilanide, a powerfulThe cardiac tonic and I put him alone in a room.

He was accompanied by Anita Pallenberg, his girlfriend, Mick Jagger and Keith Richard, they were heading for the South of Spain but during a week lived in the hotel Saint Antoine to wait for their friend. Brian Jones, I did not know who he was, anyway I was not for the bader there but to look after him, all the patients are the same ".

Marie remembers the phone call to doctor Séréna, her boss. " We have just welcomed a patient, I am told that it is Rolling Stones? - if you had an adolescent child you would know that it is not true ", retorts her the doctor. And nevertheless. Then new must not show up the bulwarks of the hospital. " In town, in the businesses, the leader the hairdresser, we asked for what I knew. I said that he had left to Toulouse. He had to rest ". " A photographer tried to enter his roo, he almost received a bottle of water in the head and it was glass ".

During a fortnight Marie Gillet so lavished attention of Brian Jones, who spoke little French. " He celebrated his 25 years birthday in the hospital by drinking coffee in the milk. Every day, Stéphanie his secretary called him, the telephone was not in his room, then I locked him into the office where it was quiet ". Marie still keeps in memory these moments when Brian Jones composed on his guitar " he did not make noise, did not disturb anybody " and the inspiration of moment moreover led him to write a piece during its of Albi stay. A photo? Most fan of the fans would not have been able to imagine it. " I asked him if my husband could come to make a photo ". Robert Gillet immortalized Marie and Brian in the room(chamber) N ° 13 of the hospital of Albi. " A shy, kind lad ", remembers Robert.

Until the last moment, Marie Gillet will stay up this a little bit special patient. "After two weeks , Anita looked for him, she was leaving him but she was kind, they left taking the plane in Toulouse ". With, a taxi recommended by Marie. Brian Jones will die two years later. Marie Gillet keeps this dedicated photo " For Mrs Gillet, thank you. Brian Jones. Rolling Stones XX (kiss, kiss) ". And she likes it. In February, 1967, Brian Jones, founding guitarist of the rock band The Rolling Stones, victim of an asthma attack while he crossed the Tarn was hospitalized to Albi. Marie Gillet was nursing. She tells.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Jones stayed 2 weeks in the hospital in Albi. It was in February, 1967. Stones, having a walk in Cordes-sur-Ciel, had intercepted an ambulance for Brian Jones victim of an asthma attack.

Marie Gillet,

Hospitable(Hospital) nurse

He was accompanied by Anita Pallenberg, his girlfriend, Mick Jagger and Keith Richard, they were heading for the South of Spain but during a week lived in the hotel Saint Antoine to wait for their friend. Brian Jones,

I had never heard about Anita staying with Brian when he was at the hospital .Did you ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Re: When Marie Gillet-a nurse- looked after Brian Jones in 1967
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 30, 2011 11:53

Thanks for the translation SwayStones.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: January 30, 2011 11:58

Thank you very much!

The story as far as I remember it is that Anita and Keith (and Tom Keylock and Deborah Dixon, Donald Cammell's girlfriend) waited with Brian until he convinced them to carry on. Then he started to worry about Anita and Keith being together without him and asked Anita to return, which she did, and the two of them flew out to join Keith, Mick and the others in Morocco.

Date: January 30, 2011 12:13

Good memory Squiggle.

Marie Gillet montre la photo réalisée par son mari en 1967, dans la chambre N° 13 du CH Albi où était hospitalisé Brian Jones.
On reconnaît Marie à gauche, Brian Jones et sa guitare et une infirmière./Photo DDM, Jean-Marie Lamboley

I only see Brian in that picture ?

-------------------

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: January 30, 2011 12:16

Note there are some more in the table....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-30 13:08 by Ricky.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 30, 2011 12:28

Thanks Sway ......looks like there's also a shot of Brian leaving or entering the cardiology unit .......

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-30 12:29 by Rockman.

Date: January 30, 2011 12:41

I see it now, thanks

-------------------

Date: January 30, 2011 13:49

Squiggle
Thank you very much!

The story as far as I remember it is that Anita and Keith (and Tom Keylock and Deborah Dixon, Donald Cammell's girlfriend) waited with Brian until he convinced them to carry on. Then he started to worry about Anita and Keith being together without him and asked Anita to return, which she did, and the two of them flew out to join Keith, Mick and the others in Morocco.

That's it,Squiggle ,thanks for clariflying smiling smiley

Date: January 30, 2011 13:51

Rockman
Thanks Sway ......looks like there's also a shot of Brian leaving or entering the cardiology unit .......

Yes,I wish she showed all of them ....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 30, 2011 14:19

Thanks for posting that!

Some other photos taken whilst he stayed appeared in a magazine soon after. Brian, Anita and a nurse/nun walking in grounds of hospital.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 30, 2011 15:27

First time I have heard that Mick Jagger was there! Given that Mme Gillet clearly didn't know much about the Rolling Stones at the time could she have misidentified somebody else as Mick?

Marie remembers the phone call to doctor Séréna, her boss. " We have just welcomed a patient, I am told that it is Rolling Stones? - if you had an adolescent child you would know that it is not true ", retorts her the doctor. Nevertheless, it didn't take long for the news to get outside the walls of the hospital. " In town, in the businesses, at the hairdresser's they asked me what I knew. I said he had left for Toulouse. He had to rest ". " A photographer tried to enter his room, he almost received a bottle of water in the head and it was glass ".

That cover-story was very effective: most accounts to this day say that Brian was in hospital in Toulouse.

Thanks very much for posting this, Swaystones.

Date: January 30, 2011 19:16

Green Lady
First time I have heard that Mick Jagger was there! Given that Mme Gillet clearly didn't know much about the Rolling Stones at the time could she have misidentified somebody else as Mick?

First time for me as well .smiling smiley
The following sentence :<<He was accompanied by Anita Pallenberg, his girlfriend, Mick Jagger and Keith Richard, they were heading for the South of Spain but during a week lived in the hotel Saint Antoine to wait for their friend. Brian Jones<<

To be honest, I can't imagine Mick staying & waiting a whole week in an hotel room "the so-called " Saint -Antoine "....
Who else could have it been ?

<<After the Redlands bust, members of the Stones decided to travel abroad to escape from the hassles of the local police. Brian fell ill on his birthday, February 28, and stayed behind near Toulouse to recuperate from pneumonia.<<

[www.rockontour.net]

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 30, 2011 19:26

SwayStones
Green Lady

First time for me as well .smiling smiley
The following sentence :<<He was accompanied by Anita Pallenberg, his girlfriend, Mick Jagger and Keith Richard, they were heading for the South of Spain but during a week lived in the hotel Saint Antoine to wait for their friend. Brian Jones<<

To be honest, I can't imagine Mick staying & waiting a whole week in an hotel room "the so-called " Saint -Antoine "....
Who else could have it been ?

<<After the Redlands bust, members of the Stones decided to travel abroad to escape from the hassles of the local police. Brian fell ill on his birthday, February 28, and stayed behind near Toulouse to recuperate from pneumonia.<<

[www.rockontour.net]

The two men we know were there were Keith and Tom Keylock - who would be very difficult to mistake for Mick! Very mysterious.

Date: January 30, 2011 19:27

Rolling Hansie

Ah,thanks for making the pic bigger, Rolling Hansie ,because now we can see Brian 's autograph .
What did he write after his signature ? Brian Jones XX ?

Date: January 31, 2011 19:16

Green Lady
The two men we know were there were Keith and Tom Keylock - who would be very difficult to mistake for Mick! Very mysterious.

Did you ever read about this "event",that is to say Brian in the CHU of Albi in any book about the Stones ?
I even don't recall which book gives a large part to Brian's staying in France .

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: January 21, 2024 13:58

I'm bringing up this old topic to update the timeline of the Brian / Keith / Anita affair.
The Albi nurse who gave the interview in 2003 made a few mistakes.
Of course, Mick Jagger is not present in Albi. In addition to the trio, Debbie Dixon and the driver were also present in the Bentley that had come from Paris via Bordeaux.
Brian was only hospitalized in Albi from February 27, 1967, and was never transferred to Toulouse.

Keith, Anita, Debbie and the driver spent two nights at the Hôtel Saint-Antoine.
I was in Albi for business ant I met the person in charge of this hotel two weeks ago. The hotel has been in the family for decades, and it was the mother of the current manager who had received these strange English people in 1967, not knowing at all who they were.
She found out the very next day from the number of journalists trying to get informations and trying to enter in the hospital.
(The hotel received prestigious guests, they have a guest book but no trace of Keith and Anita).

The nurse died at a fairly old age 7 or 8 years ago.
The hotel manager told me that two years ago, a small TV crew came to shoot some footage (I assume it was the BBC for the documentary) and tried to contact the heirs of nurse Marie Gillet to put her photos in the documentary.
The nurse's husband had taken many more photos than the one signed by Brian (some with Anita too). The heirs kept the autographed one and sold the others to a collector.
So there's nothing in the documentary about Brian's hospitalization in Albi.

Two days later, Keith and Anita leave for Spain (Debbie Dixon is not mentioned in KR's Life) with the story of the BJ in the back of the Bentley between Barcelona and Valencia.
The couple stay a few days on the Spanish coast (I think it's Marbella), Anita returns to Albi to stay with Brian, and Keith continues his journey south to catch the ferry to Tangier.

Anita and Brian fly back to London via Paris. Brian has a check-up in hospital for a few days.
A few days later, Mick, Marianne, Brian and Anita fly to Tangier (Anita and Marianne gave Brian acid on the plane to keep him quiet). And then drive to Marrakech.
This is where the animosity towards Keith and the violence towards Anita begin.
The rest is history.
Brian is left behind in Marrakech, while Anita and Keith take the Bentley back to Spain by night. Mick and Marianne return to London.

This hospitalization is crucial in the history of the Rolling Stones.
It marked the beginning of Brian's descent into hell, his deeply plunge into drugs, his gradual disengagement from the band, all of which ended with his death.

Other pictures belonged to Marie Gillet :

On the day of his departure from Albi hospital, Brian signs autographs for the young ladies from the nursing school:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-21 14:04 by Massimo68.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: January 21, 2024 15:21

We have also a photo of Anita....

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: January 21, 2024 16:19

And finally it was nurse Janet who let him down…

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 21, 2024 22:50

What does she mean, “composed on his guitar “? Must mean plays his guitar

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: January 22, 2024 19:21

I bet she shagged him. Or at least gave him a handy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1503
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home