Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Zilker Park Austin, Texas 2006 is on par with current Stones performances
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: December 30, 2012 05:58

There can be no doubt that the Stones are playing at a very high level at this time. But they were truly awesome in Austin, Texas in 2006. Keith's solo guitar work on Under My Thumb and Oh No, Not You Again were near perfect. Also, they played a greater variety of songs that day, including one I had never heard of. Midnight Rambler, at other concerts, was excellent.

We should not dismiss the work in 2006 as having little quality, because this is not true. We need to realize that not every number they have played or will ever play will please everyone. But that night in Austin, Texas was truly special.

Re: Zilker Park Austin, Texas 2006 is on par with current Stones performances
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 30, 2012 06:15

I was at Zilker Park, I had a blast, enjoyed the show, but didn't think it was anything out of this world. Because I was there I obviously enjoyed it more than the PPV special which I watched sitting on my ass at home. But just because I was there I'm not going to put it on a pedestal. To be honest, Keith's set was the highlight of the whole show, with "Learning The Game". "Bob Wills Is Still The King" just isn't my cup of tea, but I guess it was a highlight too because of the fact it's not a concert staple. They had pretty good energy that night, but no version of any of the staples really stood out. It was a pretty damn good show, but I enjoyed Texas Motor Speedway '97 more than Zilker Park.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: December 30, 2012 07:10

Yeah well because the whole Zilker performance has been overdubbed by Pierre de Beauport... that is not actually Keith playing.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: December 30, 2012 09:35

Lorenz
Yeah well because the whole Zilker performance has been overdubbed by Pierre de Beauport... that is not actually Keith playing.

I've been hearing that theory for years on here. What is the origin?

[www.non-filters.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-30 09:37 by nonfilter.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 30, 2012 10:14

nonfilter
Lorenz

I've been hearing that theory for years on here. What is the origin?

[www.non-filters.com]

It says in the credits "Additional recordings by Pierre de Beauport". That could be something else though.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: December 30, 2012 10:42

Was this show before or after Keith's accident?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 30, 2012 11:22

flilflam
Keith's solo guitar work on Under My Thumb and Oh No, Not You Again were near perfect. Also, they played a greater variety of songs that day, including one I had never heard of. Midnight Rambler, at other concerts, was excellent.

That's not Keith's solo's. All his and Wood's parts are overdubbed, as well as Jagger's singing and Chuck's piano.

Mathijs

Posted by: maradona ()
Date: December 30, 2012 11:47

BlackHat
Was this show before or after Keith's accident?

His accident was in spring 2006, just after the concert in Wellington. Austin show was in fall 2006.

Anyway, a boot from Zilker Park would reveal the truth but I doubt there is one existing...

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: December 30, 2012 11:47

Mathijs
flilflam
Keith's solo guitar work on Under My Thumb and Oh No, Not You Again were near perfect. Also, they played a greater variety of songs that day, including one I had never heard of. Midnight Rambler, at other concerts, was excellent.

That's not Keith's solo's. All his and Wood's parts are overdubbed, as well as Jagger's singing and Chuck's piano.

Mathijs

Not to mention Charlie's drumming and Blondies guitar.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: December 30, 2012 11:55

BlackHat
Mathijs
flilflam

Mathijs

Hell, I don't even think it was the Stones that really was on stage either.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 30, 2012 13:22

bobo
BlackHat
Mathijs
flilflam

Mathijs

Hell, I don't even think it was the Stones that really was on stage either.

Yes, this is exactly what I think for 30 years. I guess they are on holidays after playing their last chords in Leeds '82.

Date: December 30, 2012 13:31

... Chuck being their animator ...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 30, 2012 14:59

RobertJohnson

Or Reanimator...? [www.google.fr]

Date: December 30, 2012 15:03

dcba
RobertJohnson

Or Reanimator...? [www.google.fr]

... to a gloomy existence ... Their real reanimator might be Mick Taylor ...

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 30, 2012 15:20

..One of my favourites concerts...whatever play on the tracks...

Date: December 30, 2012 16:38

ALL guitar part are not overdubbed grinning smiley

However, Under My Thumb is probably overdubbed by Pierre and the other guitar tech - hence their credits for "additional recordings".

A mediocre show, imo. Learning The Game and Bob Willis Is Still The King are cool, though.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 30, 2012 16:40

it's one of pierre's more inspired shows, i think. prolly one of his top 10 of the tour.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 30, 2012 16:45

flilflam
There can be no doubt that the Stones are playing at a very high level at this time. But they were truly awesome in Austin, Texas in 2006. Keith's solo guitar work on Under My Thumb and Oh No, Not You Again were near perfect.

Hmmm.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 31, 2012 01:20

.....great version of "she's so cold" too....

Posted by: maradona ()
Date: December 31, 2012 01:27

jp.M

Indeed, the whole concert sounds great. But listening to other boots from 2006 you may wonder why Austin is so extremely different. And spending 60€ on a DVD-Box I should get what I really want - The Rolling Stones (and not a "Cover-Version" of Mick, Keith and all the others)

Posted by: BustedButton ()
Date: December 31, 2012 02:12

I was in Durham, NC in 2005 (Wallace Wade), Austin, TX in 2006 (Zilker Park), and Newark 2012 (Pru 12/15/12 PPV). They were all very good shows. Here's what I remember from the shows:

The Durham show was great, very basic, very fun, and there were hardly any flaws. I enjoyed hearing the usual warhorses, but Lisa Fischer was great on Night Time is the Right Time. The setlist wasn't my favorite since there was no Midnight Rambler and there was no Paint it Black, but it had great versions of Sympathy (it was at the Duke bLUE devils football stadium and everyone was really into this song, especially the band). It also had Satisfaction on the B-stage (which I liked b/c it wasn't drawn out. I love shorter versions of "vegas" satisfaction). They ended the show with IORR. This was my first Stones concert. I always liked the Rolling Stones, but I become obsessed with them after this show. That should tell you about it's quality. It was a quality show. Excellent version of Miss You on the way to the B-STAGE, and a very good version of Dead Flowers are some more songs that really stood out. All other songs were played well, and no surprises, just a well-executed show. I sat very close to the side of the b-stage. Tickets were $95, and I had "front row" for 3 songs.

I had really good seats for the Austin show. They set up bleachers on the side with a great view of the stage and a great view of the venue, Zilker Park. Most everything else was general admission. The Austin show was really fun, they played to the Texan audience with Honky Tonk W, Learning the Game, Bob Wils is Still the King, etc... Bob Wils is Still the King was great, the crowd went nuts. I've never seen a crowd dance like they did in Austin during Honky Tonk W. The DVD doesn't quite capture the excitement of the crowd during that song. EVERYONE was dancing. One of the most rocking songs from Austin was Bitch, and they don't even have it on the Biggest Bang DVD (I think they play it in the credits, but no video). They also took out Start Me Upon the DVD. I don't recall it being an excellent version but Mick gave 100% effort on the B-stage in Austin and Start Me Up was no different -- great dancing (you can see his effort of Get Off My Cloud). With all that being said, Austin had a lot more flaws than the 2005 Durham show. This could be due to Keith's "accident." For example, they messed up on Sway. I'm not really sure what happened or who messed up, but there was about a 30 second period where Chuck was playing piano and the whole band was lost. They recovered, and I'm guessing something was said or heard in Mick's microphone and he picked up the pace for strong finish to the song, but overall, Sway was really sloppy. Not sure if they cleaned it up in the DVD, or if they added some piano, or guitar, but it was a mess up live. The rest of the show was great. Good versions of Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice, HTW, GetOMCloud, Satisfaction. I wasn't really impressed with JJF, OhNoNYA. Anyway, the show was great, i loved it, but it had more noticeable flaws than durham and the PPV.

The PPV show was worlds above both concerts. I'm going to credit the band for doing it right. The Durham and Austin shows were both done during a giant tour. The band is old now, but they were old then too! I think the lengthy tour had them playing less than 100% (especially Keith and Ronnie) Also, Keith was impaired by his accident. My point is, at their age, the quality and drive diminishes when they do a lot of shows. They are GREAT when they are not tired, and are healthy, and this is how they should perform in the future (like the PPV), one-two-three- or four shows at a time. Not 20 or 30. Lastly, the gust appearances helped in the ppv, and i (MY OPINION) wouldn't mind seeing more guests in the future. But with that being said, two of the most memorable songs for me from the concert were Paint it Black and YCAGWYW -- no guests. yes, there were certainly others that stood out, like One More Shot - I thought it was great live. I also thought they were playing mixed Emotions for the first 10 seconds, and I am really good at knowing Stones songs within the first second. What stood out to me from the PPV was Ronnie. He was GREAT. Ronnie played a million times better than 2005, 2006.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: December 31, 2012 03:19

flilflam
We should not dismiss the work in 2006 as having little quality, because this is not true.

True, they were just erratic. Keith could be really on one night and amazingly off the next, same with Ronnie, but we expect that of him. Keith not so much, so the bad shows really stuck out.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: December 31, 2012 03:23

fliflam you are 100 percent right,anybody who says this and that was overdubbed and keith was not playing is nuts.i saw them in ft lauderdale AND ATLANTICCITY IN 06,both shows were awesome.zilker which i have only seen on bb dvd is awesome as well,and yes great setlist.i just saw the stones in newark,amazing show----ooh i forgot that wasnt keith playing that was blondie hiding under the stage.lol,the stuff some people come up with.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 31, 2012 05:27

I was there....we were standing by the lighting crew and my friend nudges me and says 'That's Lizzie and James'
Sure enough - they were both standing just a few feet away - they kept going back and forth somewhere...and would brush by us...
I told my friend: this may be the closest we ever get to meeting a Jagger....

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: December 31, 2012 07:32

backstreetboy1
fliflam you are 100 percent right,anybody who says this and that was overdubbed and keith was not playing is nuts.i saw them in ft lauderdale AND ATLANTICCITY

I think they're saying that the Austin show as you see it on the Bang DVD has overdubbed parts. I haven't watched much of it, but Mick's vocal on Cloud surely is, as well as some guitar. Very little overall, but a bit of doctoring went on.

Date: December 31, 2012 09:17

maradona
jp.M

Indeed, the whole concert sounds great. But listening to other boots from 2006 you may wonder why Austin is so extremely different. And spending 60€ on a DVD-Box I should get what I really want - The Rolling Stones (and not a "Cover-Version" of Mick, Keith and all the others)

Shows like Saitama and Glascow are much better than Austin, imo. And those shows certainly have no overdubs smiling smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 31, 2012 11:01

Official releases are almost always doctored. And so they should be.
Bum notes and mistakes are gone in a flash and lost in the vibe of a live performance...but you don't want to hear them over & over again .

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 31, 2012 12:02

Spud
Bum notes and mistakes are gone in a flash and lost in the vibe of a live performance...but you don't want to hear them over & over again .

Excellent point, Spud!
Except that I don't want to hear obviously overdubbed nasalities - ewyasss! ohright! -
uglifying the intro to Under My Thumb over and over again either, do I :E

Keith's set isn't overdubbed, and it is beautiful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-31 12:03 by with sssoul.

Date: December 31, 2012 12:03

with sssoul
Spud

Excellent point, Spud!
Except that I don't want to hear obviously overdubbed nasalities - ewyasss! ohright! -
uglifying the intro to Under My Thumb over and over again either, do I :E

Keith's set isn't overdubbed, and it is beautiful.

thumbs up

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: December 31, 2012 13:04

Spud

Good point. But I'll never buy the claim that because the notes say,"additional recordings by..." means that almost all of Keith's parts were overdubbed. Or Ron's. And by their roadies for God's sake! Talk about a jaded theory. All I know is that I saw the Stones in 2006 at Giants Stadium in NJ at a time very close to the Austin gig and he was in great form that night; classic Keith-honors-Chuck Berry licks were slicing through the air all night. So I think it's a sweeping generalization to claim that Keith was never any good again post-head thump. We also now are hearing that Keith was drinking way too much (even for him!) by the latter part of the ABB Tour which surely contributed to the shows where he was reported to have played badly. Plus, Keith was under doctor's advice to avoid alcohol as it would react badly with the Dilantin he was required to take after the surgery. But we all know Keith...The point being, I'm sure keith had some bad shows after the acccident but that doesn't mean he totally lost it from that point. On a good night, like I was lucky enough to catch, he sounded like...drumroll please....Keith Richards! So anyway, I don't care if The Biggest Bang has overdubs. So does Ya Ya's. But they're damn fun to watch / listen to!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home