Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122Next
Current Page: 17 of 22
Re: Special guests with Ben Waters in London March 9th
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 11, 2011 16:44

I thought Charlie played his first gig with Rocket 88 back in 1976. Does anyone know for sure?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 11, 2011 17:24

Hooray! somebody did get "You Never Can Tell":

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 11, 2011 17:47

Great to see Mick T., Ronnie, Bill, and Charlie showing the love for Stu and looking to have a great time.

Too bad the other guys can't put eogs aside and get their sh*t together.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 11, 2011 17:50

Gazza
Wuudy
I don't get it. Just because someone is organsing a tribute concert 25 years after someone passed away doesn't mean that everybody who was close to him should travel half way around the world to joing him on stage!
He played on the cd which is a nice gesture already.

If ever there was an occasion where the Stones could suspend their over-inflated egoes and do a few songs outside the 'bubble' of a mega tour, then surely this was it. The fact that it's over three decades since they've done a single non-tour public performance speaks volumes and only adds fuel to the argument that they're a corporation first and being a band comes a very distant second.

Ben Waters, a guy who at 35, never even met Ian Stewart, goes to the trouble of putting together a CD and arranging a concert to honour his memory, yet the man who insists in his recently published autobiography that it was basically Stu who put the Stones together can't even be arsed to perform? Yet he can fly in to do a book signing?

It reflects poorly on any Stones band member - past or present - who chooses to be elsewhere tonight - but, unless there's some pressing personal matters that prevent him from making it, it especially makes Keith's near deification of Stu in 'Life' look very hollow indeed. They were able to do it in 1986 - why not in 2011?

Didn't expect Mick or Keith to be there tonight from the moment this event was announced, which is why I elected to pass on it. If they can't be bothered supporting it, then it doesn't paint a very good picture of what the Stones represent in 2011.

For the sake of the band and the fans who have bought tickets for this event, I really hope I'm proved wrong and that one of both of them show up tonight. The whole band should be there. It's not THAT difficult or too much to ask for, is it?

Excellent post, as usual Gazza!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: March 11, 2011 17:50

did mick taylor not show up for rehearsals? the "you never can tell" video is the second video now i've seen where he's unsure of which key the song is in.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 11, 2011 18:38

ineedadrink
did mick taylor not show up for rehearsals? the "you never can tell" video is the second video now i've seen where he's unsure of which key the song is in.

Picks it up quick enough though.

Date: March 11, 2011 18:54

Elmo Lewis
Gazza
Wuudy
I don't get it. Just because someone is organsing a tribute concert 25 years after someone passed away doesn't mean that everybody who was close to him should travel half way around the world to joing him on stage!

If ever there was an occasion where the Stones could suspend their over-inflated egoes and do a few songs outside the 'bubble' of a mega tour, then surely this was it. The fact that it's over three decades since they've done a single non-tour public performance speaks volumes and only adds fuel to the argument that they're a corporation first and being a band comes a very distant second.

Ben Waters, a guy who at 35, never even met Ian Stewart, goes to the trouble of putting together a CD and arranging a concert to honour his memory, yet the man who insists in his recently published autobiography that it was basically Stu who put the Stones together can't even be arsed to perform? Yet he can fly in to do a book signing?

It reflects poorly on any Stones band member - past or present - who chooses to be elsewhere tonight - but, unless there's some pressing personal matters that prevent him from making it, it especially makes Keith's near deification of Stu in 'Life' look very hollow indeed. They were able to do it in 1986 - why not in 2011?

Didn't expect Mick or Keith to be there tonight from the moment this event was announced, which is why I elected to pass on it. If they can't be bothered supporting it, then it doesn't paint a very good picture of what the Stones represent in 2011.

For the sake of the band and the fans who have bought tickets for this event, I really hope I'm proved wrong and that one of both of them show up tonight. The whole band should be there. It's not THAT difficult or too much to ask for, is it?

so gazza chose not to attend this event solely based on the fact that mick and keith weren't going to attend as well? that's not really an excellent post, in my opinion. what happened to going out for the sake of music and having a good time rather than seeing your heroes reunite?
edit: it sucks that mick and keith weren't there, but to chose not to go because of that is just dumb, in my opinion. no offense smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-11 19:20 by ineedadrink.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 11, 2011 19:06

That was a super-duper post by Gazza.Reflects my views like a mirror. smoking smiley>grinning smiley<smoking smiley

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: March 11, 2011 19:13

This is slightly off topic: I saw Ben Waters again on 10 March, one day after the Ambassador gig, playing for no more than 50 people in St Albans. In the interval I congratulated him about the Ambassador concert. While he was obviously very pleased how well it went on the big day, he said that he was still enjoying playing the small places, such as St Albans, and I think he really meant it. He and his small band were excellent and clearly had a lot of fun. It was a great gig, great laugh, and he is a great man.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 11, 2011 19:20

Silver Dagger
Doxa

The idea of a boogie woogie band was forgotten until 1978, when some of England's best musician celebrated the 50th anniversary of boogie woogie...[/i]

- Doxa

I went to what I believe was Charlie's first gig outside of The Rolling Stones, at Dingwalls in 1978. I queued up for several hours beforehand and met Charlie as he was walking in. I asked whether I could take some shots of him and he graciously posed for me, resplendent in a white suit.
But, more memorable, was the site of Stu, whose Landrover Charlie arrived in, lugging Charlie's drums into the venue. I have a photo of that somewhere which I will look for.

Wow! thumbs up

- Doxa

Date: March 11, 2011 20:46

So Cool Silver Dagger. Hope you can find the photo and maybe get it on here.Just been looking at Bens' website and still a lot of Boogie 4 Stu gigs left.My prediction is that one or both of the Glimmers will make an appearance either seperately,which is more likely, or yer never know .............together at the same gig.My guess is that it will be at The Bulls Head,Barnes on 25th April. Could possibly be at a less well known venue that Bens' band will be playing at.Bulls Head is well known to Mick and Charlie,so will wait and see.I do hope I am right and they honour Stu in the way they should,and hopefully the way they want to do it. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 11, 2011 22:16

Here's the main photo of Charlie outside Dingwalls, Camden Lock, North London in summer 78. I'll still trying to find the one of Stu humping the drum kit, taken a few seconds before.

Photo copyright Silver Dagger.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 11, 2011 22:25

A great one, Dagger, Charlie seemed to be amused grinning smiley

Posted by: kath51 ()
Date: March 11, 2011 22:39

it's too bad mick and keith didn't show, but with all those people on stage, mick would have been cramped and keith couldn't do his splits....
i would have given anything to have been there!! mick taylor and charlie and woody and wyman? sheeeeyut......

Date: March 11, 2011 22:43

Thanks for posting SD. A big chuckle on his face and a lovely straight cut on his fringe.Hope you find the piccy of Stu. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: March 11, 2011 23:08

Thanks for posting. Very cool

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: March 11, 2011 23:08

ineedadrink
Elmo Lewis
Gazza
Wuudy

so gazza chose not to attend this event solely based on the fact that mick and keith weren't going to attend as well? that's not really an excellent post, in my opinion. what happened to going out for the sake of music and having a good time rather than seeing your heroes reunite?
edit: it sucks that mick and keith weren't there, but to chose not to go because of that is just dumb, in my opinion. no offense smiling smiley

Almost feel sorry for someone that couldn't enjoy that gig for what it was. Wyman and Watts smiled more in the videos than I'd EVER seen them smile on stage with the Stones. Hell, they NEVER cracked a smile before, but they were livin it up - I couldn't stop smiling watching Mick Taylor go off the way he does. Hey Gazza - it's only rock and roll. Or blues. Or whatever. But it ain't world politics man!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 11, 2011 23:12

That's great Silver Dagger. Thanks for posting

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 11, 2011 23:14

Brue
Almost feel sorry for someone that couldn't enjoy that gig for what it was. Wyman and Watts smiled more in the videos than I'd EVER seen them smile on stage with the Stones.

I feel sorry for myself for not being able to be there smiling smiley
But yes, I get your point, and I agree.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 12, 2011 00:02

ineedadrink

Firstly - they're not my 'heroes'. I dont do hero worship.

Secondly - when the gig was announced, the only band member who was confirmed as playing was Charlie Watts

Thirdly - YOU used the word 'solely'. Not me.

You're aware, I take it, that for me to get to London requires a flight, two days off work and a night in a hotel? Its not just a case of 'going out' for the evening.

Its also a long way to go for a show where the line-up is unconfirmed and merely subject to rumours. Personally, I need more than that. I dont see why I should have to make excuses for that to you or anyone.

You dont know me at all, let alone well enough to make assumptions on the reasons I elected to pass on it. Most of which were financial and because I had other commitments.

Date: March 12, 2011 00:08

alright. my apologies.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 12, 2011 00:13

no, you don't owe anyone an explanation, Gazza honey, but be fair: you're the one who wrote (above):
"Didn't expect Mick or Keith to be there tonight from the moment this event was announced, which is why I elected to pass on it"
and people are entitled to take your word for it, aren't we? so it turns out there was more to your absence than meets the eye?
fine - so how about we ALL stop being so judgemental about people who didn't make it??

yeah, it was more than a stroll down the street for a bunch of us who did choose to make it
and were thrilled and honoured to be there for all that joyful glorious raunch. it was a great great night -
thanks and praises to everyone involved

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-12 00:21 by with sssoul.

Date: March 12, 2011 00:17

ineedadrink
alright. my apologies.

No prob. Sorry if I over reacted.

Date: March 12, 2011 00:22

with sssoul
no, you don't owe anyone an explanation, Gazza honey, but be fair: you're the one who wrote (above):
"Didn't expect Mick or Keith to be there tonight from the moment this event was announced, which is why I elected to pass on it"
and people are entitled to take your word for it, aren't we? so it turns out that there's more to your absence than meets the eye?
fine, so how about we ALL stop being so judgemental about people who didn't make it??

yeah, it was more than a stroll down the street for a bunch of us who did choose to make it
and were thrilled and honoured to be there for all that joyful glorious raunch. it was a great great night -
thanks and praises to everyone involved

I know what I said, sssoul, but it wasnt the only reason - being there on the strength of a rumour just wasnt practical. Likewise with the Ronnie show last month. Had it been a Stones gig though, I'd have bit the bullet. Shit, if it had even been on a weekend, I'd almost certainly have gone.

As for the 'judgemental' bit, well I did say that if they had other reasons - which may be health related or something similarly valid - that was perfectly legitimate. Its no hanging matter that they didnt show, I just feel it was a missed opportunity. Thats all.

And to be fair I have said that I'd have loved to have gone, and that it sounded like a great night despite the non-appearance of the Gruesome Twosome. I'm genuinely delighted for everyone who was able to go.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: March 12, 2011 00:28

I think a lot of people - myself included, have got over heated about the issues surrounding this gig.
On balance I'm glad we didn't have the Glimmers there - It would have been about them,which wouldn't have been right IMHO.

We had to pull out of going to the 100 club show in December, so this was a chance to make up for it. I never dreamed that it would turn out as wonderful as it did.

sc uk

shame shame shame!! (sad sad sad)
Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: March 11, 2011 17:04

Ok I'll get to the point! Can anyone tell me why Mick or Keith could'nt make the effort to make an appearance at the Ian Stewart gig on Wednesday night???? I understand it's probably a great effort for Keith given the state of his fingers and the deteriation in his playing these days but come on! Mick was seen days ago at the grammys looking fit, healthy and in great shape! Has Mick forgotten his roots and where he came from? What was a very enjoyable night could have been a night to remember. Well done Charlie, Ronnie, Bill, Mick T and all the other musicians who made the effort. Shame on you Mick and Keith (sad sad sad indeed).

John Nicholls

Re: shame shame shame!! (sad sad sad)
Date: March 11, 2011 17:06

so because mick and keith weren't there, it wasn't a night to remember for you?

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 11, 2011 17:12

Reading the reviews of the show...it's probably better that they didn't show up at all.

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: March 11, 2011 17:19

ineedadrink
so because mick and keith weren't there, it wasn't a night to remember for you?
like I said it was a very enjoyable night.

John Nicholls

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 11, 2011 17:24

Why would you need Mick or Keith struggling to play two notes? The atmosphere seems fantastic here.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122Next
Current Page: 17 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2228
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home