Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 22
Re: Special guests with Ben Waters in London March 9th
Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: March 11, 2011 10:37

The Joker

I don't know if I listened right, but it seems Ben Waters said "E flat" starting Little Queenie - isn't it an unusual tune ? Or has it something to do with piano?

Maybe B flat? Think that's the original key anyway, and fits the piano more naturally than E flat.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 11, 2011 10:52

CindyC
isn' that one called "Bring It on Home to Me"? Of course, that could be deliberate!

:E pass the lady some popcorn :E

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 11, 2011 11:19

Looking at the set list - thanks with sssoul - there is the early Rolling Stones written all over them... especially "Down The Road Apiece" and "Little Queenie" were the songs even Little Boy Blue and The Blues Boys "recorded" for the tapes we can hear first time ever Mick Jagger's voice and Keith Richards' guitar (and I suppose those were the songs the Dartford boys brought to Stu/Brian's band)... I guess these songs also had some special meaning to Stu as well... Be the reasons whatever why the Twins were there not, those would have been perfect songs for Mick and Keith to perform... (in fact, those three last numbers in the second show - "Down The Road Apiece", "Little Queenie" and "Can I Get A Wittness" sound almost like planned for Mick to make an entrance and to "steal" the show...)

Here is Stu plus three guys who were present, and two who were not, playing one of those songs...

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-11 11:24 by Doxa.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 11, 2011 11:53

Down the Road Apiece is a a standard in the ABCD of Boogie Woogie setlist.
there's no (0) reason to imagine anyone on that stage ever expected anyone else to waltz in,
and they stole their own show very raunchily indeed, thank you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-11 12:05 by with sssoul.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: March 11, 2011 12:04

My review here

www.myspace.com/simonjcwright/blog/542353568

Such a night!

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: March 11, 2011 12:27

johnnythunders
My review here

www.myspace.com/simonjcwright/blog/542353568

Such a night!

Very nice, though you may want to correct this bit:

The demon guitar duo of Mick Taylor and his Stones replacement Mick Taylor winking smiley

Date: March 11, 2011 12:48

with sssoul
Down the Road Apiece is a a standard in the ABCD of Boogie Woogie setlist.
there's no (0) reason to imagine anyone on that stage ever expected anyone else to waltz in,
and they stole their own show very raunchily indeed, thank you

Well, I didn't know that (and the song, of course, have a history beyond a Chuck Berry version Mick and Keith were so fond of.) But I hope my argument still holds on "Little Queenie" (that the reason why it was played in that occasion had something to do with the band Stu once upon time ago was founding with certain other guys who are known to play the song before they even met Stu, and who would play this particular Chuck Berry song probably more often than any other in their tours. But, of course, who needs Stu's former band mates - no matter what history they had the guy - when we can have a Mick Hucknall doing the vocals). And the argument was just based on looking at the set list, and reflecing that, not having the privilege being there, thank you.grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-11 12:53 by Doxa.

Date: March 11, 2011 12:53

I suspect they actually played 'Carol' (& possibly 'Around & Around') more often than 'Little Queenie', though I see your point...

Date: March 11, 2011 13:15

Sleepy City
I suspect they actually played 'Carol' (& possibly 'Around & Around') more often than 'Little Queenie', though I see your point...

Probaly yeah... if there is any Berry songs that have "Rolling Stones" written all over them, they are those three...

What makes "Little Queenie" so special is that it was to be found in that very first Little Boy Blue tape they made in Dick Taylor's home; that it was - with "Carol" - a definitive number of the early Taylor years, making even YA-YA'S, plus; and it was a rare Berry song - are there any others? - they actually have played during the 'Vegas' yaers. I think it had a special meaning to Mick and Keith. And seemingly to Stu as well.

(Keith also made a nice version of it with Jerry Lee Lewis back in 1983, Ronnie recently with Jools Holland and Slash - well, that's actually another connection to Stu's tribute)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-11 13:19 by Doxa.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 11, 2011 13:15

The extra boogie-woogie number Axel Zwingenberger played at the second show was Suitcase Blues.

The first number Hamish Maxwell sang was this one: described here as "Roll 'em Pete" - here he is singing it at home in a Dorset pub with his own band:

Date: March 11, 2011 13:17

carlostones10
Thanks for your nice review.

You're welcome carlostones10.....by the way, you credited bv with one of my photos on your site!!

Date: March 11, 2011 13:23

Green Lady
The first number Hamish Maxwell sang was this one: described here as "Roll 'em Pete" - here he is singing it at home in a Dorset pub with his own band:

There is a version of "Roll 'em Pete" by Stu's band Rocket 88 - with Alexis Korner on vocals ( and Charlie on drums) I recall (album from the early 80's). I have the vinyl somewhere.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-11 13:24 by Doxa.

Date: March 11, 2011 13:34

Newly posted (not by me): The finale of the second show with Can I Get A Witness, Hi Heel Sneakers and the final bow:

Edit: Looking at this I remember that neither Ronnie nor Mick Taylor were in this one at the first show, having skived off early to the bar... At the second show, Ronnie did come back and started the number without MT, who then appeared and joined in: you can see the tech getting his guitar plugged in at the start of the clip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-11 13:38 by Green Lady.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: March 11, 2011 13:34

I like Ron's shirt.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 11, 2011 13:42

Doxa
Sleepy City

Probaly yeah... if there is any Berry songs that have "Rolling Stones" written all over them, they are those three...

What makes "Little Queenie" so special is that it was to be found in that very first Little Boy Blue tape they made in Dick Taylor's home; that it was - with "Carol" - a definitive number of the early Taylor years, making even YA-YA'S, plus; and it was a rare Berry song - are there any others? - they actually have played during the 'Vegas' yaers. - Doxa

Haven't they played Let It Rock recently or was the last time on the 78 tour?

Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: March 11, 2011 13:44

I loved!

First off all how can you get four Rolling Stones on stage so small and near the public?
Jagger, Richards and Brian Jones were the only ones missing, but I do suspect that Brian had more chances to be there in the end!
I just loved both concerts, reallty!

On a personal note , with also very good,to meet some of my fellow IORReans
Matt, who Im forever gratefull, Paul, Andy ( Thanks buddies) BV, Per, Gwen, Green Lady,among others...It was a pleasure!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 11, 2011 13:55

They certainly all look as if they are enjoying themselves.What a great night it must have been for the band,the fans and Stu looking down from above. smileys with beer

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: March 11, 2011 14:02

Now corrected - thank you Sleep City!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 11, 2011 14:15

Gazza
schillid
Maybe Mick and/or Keith chose not to show up because it might have overshadowed the actual tribute to Stu if it had seemed like a big Stones reunion ...

So basically what youre saying is that they're too big and famous for this event?

Hmm.

I can see schillid's point. Besides, sometimes it's best to be conspicuously absent. Adds to the mystique.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 11, 2011 14:22

KeefintheNight82
Charlie looks very frail in these pictures. Is he ok?

He looks the most ok of any of them.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 11, 2011 14:24

Roll 'em Pete ........ Big Joe Turner -- Pete Johnson

ROCKMAN

Date: March 11, 2011 14:30

tatters
KeefintheNight82

I was a bit worried when I saw how slowly he was making his way to the drum kit - until I realised that the tiny overcrowded stage was an obstacle course of instruments, amps and cables on several levels and he was having to do some very careful navigation and mountaineering to get there! It doesn't look to me as if there's anything to worry about.

Date: March 11, 2011 14:41

Green Lady
tatters
KeefintheNight82

I was a bit worried when I saw how slowly he was making his way to the drum kit - until I realised that the tiny overcrowded stage was an obstacle course of instruments, amps and cables on several levels and he was having to do some very careful navigation and mountaineering to get there! It doesn't look to me as if there's anything to worry about.

Charlie has looked a little frail for over two decades now, so I'm sure he's fine (I remember being really shocked at how gaunt he looked during the Steel Wheels era, as he looked so much more robust during the Dirty Work era 3 years earlier).

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 11, 2011 15:41

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: March 11, 2011 15:50

Sleepy City
Green Lady
tatters
KeefintheNight82

Charlie has looked a little frail for over two decades now, so I'm sure he's fine (I remember being really shocked at how gaunt he looked during the Steel Wheels era, as he looked so much more robust during the Dirty Work era 3 years earlier).

Well, I'm glad if he is doing well. But he does not look better than any of the rest as said above. He looks seriously underweight, more so than usual.

Bill actually has aged better than any of the Stones. And he is the oldest!

Date: March 11, 2011 15:52

Surprisingly I find my ROCKET 88 vinyl and it is truely a treasure as far grasping Ian Stewart and his musical taste, and I guess, the tribute gig and ABCD of Boogie Woogie, goes. The album is produced by Stu, and is seemingly his brain child. The albums consists of:

A
1, Rocket 88 (Pete Johnson)
2. Waiting For The Call (Jack Bruce & Peter Brown)
3. St. Louis Blues (W.C. Handy)
B
1. Roll 'em Pete (Pete Johnson & Joe Turner)
2. Swindon Swing (Colin Smith)
3. Roadhouse Blues (Pete Johnson)
4. Talking About Louise (Alexis Korner)

At least "Roll 'em Pete" and "Roadhouse Blues" had made the set list - maybe some other not yet recognized?

Anyway, the text in the back cover is made by Stu, and it is a great little personal history of boogie woogie in England. But among others, one more testimony why Keith Richards talks bollocks in claiming Stu having the "vision" of the The Rolling Stones. Stu writes:

My first love, musically speaking, was the sound of boogie woogie piano... I soon discovered Albert Ammons and Pete Johnson... From that point it was a natural progression to... Joe Turner, Sippie Wallace... thd Bluebird Label recordings of Bob Call and Big Maceo; Milt Buckner with unbeliavable Lione Hampton (in the late Forties); the bands of New Orleans pianists Fats Domino and Amos Milburn; Sammy Price backing blues and gospel artists for U.S. Decca; and the great R&B artists of the Fifties, such as Wynonie Harris and Louis Jordan - in whose and the pianos played eight to the bar and the saxes ruled. I dreamt of one day organizing a band with these influences.

When I first met Brian Jones in 1961, he said that he wanted to form a rhythm & blues band; and I had hoped that he had a Wynonie Harris sort of thing in mind. I was little disappointed at the time that his idea of R&B was Slim Harpo, Jimmy Reed and Muddy Waters - styles that did not always leave too much space for pianos and tenor sax.

The idea of a boogie woogie band was forgotten until 1978, when some of England's best musician celebrated the 50th anniversary of boogie woogie...

Seemingly, it was Brian Jones who determined the nature and musical style of the band they were calling later The Rolling Stones, and thereby killed Stu's dream to organize a boogie woogie band...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-11 15:55 by Doxa.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: March 11, 2011 16:02

It was a great fun evening. I think everyone enjoyed themselves a lot.

Date: March 11, 2011 16:25

Green Lady
Something that was great to me was the effect of hearing some of the very early Stones numbers like Can I Get A Witness, Down The Road Apiece, Don't Lie To Me etc. with an excellent boogie-woogie piano (or two) as an strong and essential part of the mix - probably something like how the band really sounded in the early days before Andrew Loog Oldham started editing Stu out. I also wonder how big a part Stu had in selecting the songs they covered.

This is a good and intersting point. If one reads above my last posts and especially Stu's quote of Brian Jones not having such a big role for piano in his idea of R&B, it might have sounded nice for Stu to have two huge Chuck Berry fanatics to the band - namely those Berry songs always have a room for a swingin' boogie woogie piano!

- Doxa

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 11, 2011 16:36

Doxa

The idea of a boogie woogie band was forgotten until 1978, when some of England's best musician celebrated the 50th anniversary of boogie woogie...[/i]

- Doxa

I went to what I believe was Charlie's first gig outside of The Rolling Stones, at Dingwalls in 1978. I queued up for several hours beforehand and met Charlie as he was walking in. I asked whether I could take some shots of him and he graciously posed for me, resplendent in a white suit.
But, more memorable, was the site of Stu, whose Landrover Charlie arrived in, lugging Charlie's drums into the venue. I have a photo of that somewhere which I will look for.

Posted by: tomzen ()
Date: March 11, 2011 16:43

Just a thought: There are more shows comming up at various UK theathers under the label "Boogie for Stu" which are also advertised to be "with special guests". I guess there may also be some kind of a release party when the record finally comes for sale. Could it be that ..... I mean, just like when doing the recordings they did all contribute, though not at the same time. Could be many reasons for doing it like that. So maybe there is still a chance for a little glimmer...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1800
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home