Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Three OUTDOOR shows in the UK - any meteorologists among us ?
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 11, 2013 12:11

Not that I'm going to Glastonbury, but it would be nice for those that are if it didn't chuck it down on the night. However I AM going to both Hyde Park shows, as well as Elton John/Ray Davies/Elvis Costello the day before the second one, and I could really do without getting soaked to the f***ing skin in so doing !!

PRAYIN' FOR GOOD WEATHER ......................

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Re: Three OUTDOOR shows in the UK - any meteorologists among us ?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 11, 2013 12:16

Chances are 50/50 whether it will rain or not, I guess. It's England after all...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 11, 2013 12:16

paulywaul

PRAYIN' FOR GOOD WEATHER ......................

That'll make no difference.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 11, 2013 12:25

Date: June 11, 2013 12:40

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh shriek, noooooooooooooooooooooooooo .... that's EXACTLY what I don't want to be prepared for !!

Date: June 11, 2013 12:42

Hey Paulywaul......a bit early to be trying to forecast the weather for July. You know what they say......"there's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing".

Date: June 11, 2013 13:11

Indeed, I do know what they say, but there's a time and a place for everything. And torrential rain during a Rolling Stones concert at an outdoor venue is neither the time nor the place ............. so lets hope we don't get it.

I agree, a bit early really for weather predictions, but the dates will be upon us soon enough.

SUNSHINE please !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-11 13:12 by paulywaul.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: June 11, 2013 13:19

Lets be honest its England, there is a chance of snow. Not the good kind either!!

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: June 11, 2013 13:24

I am going to the 6th July Hyde Park so really hoping for good weather, last week the forecast said a heatwave for Gladstonbury and Hyde Park but things do change here in England. Lets just hope, u can usually get a good idea a week before.

I flew to Toronto last week for the Thursday show, weather was hot here in England then when I arrived in Toronto it was pouring with rain and I didn't even take a coat, Great show tho'

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 11, 2013 13:51

Not sure what's better if you're going to spend the day waiting for the Stones to take the stage, rain or a heatwave...an overcast sky would probably be best!

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: June 11, 2013 14:03

THE STORM AT LONGCHAMP boot
it was very hot july 1st 95. I was completely WET. Such a hard rain (you know that U2 did not play with them because of it)

London june 11&12 - 1999. I bought the Stones Bomber (established 62) because I was cold.

Stones june 22, 1990 Paris : wet !

So I do not expect a sunny july 6 show

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: June 11, 2013 14:38

(you know that U2 did not play with them because of it)
==> U2 finally not showing up was the greatest news of the day !

London june 11&12 - 1999. I bought the Stones Bomber (established 62) because I was cold.
==> the whole European BtB tour was pretty wet and/or cold : Nuremberg, Mannheim, Den Haag, Cologne...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 11, 2013 14:53

Ha - I was there and unfortunately (for her) brought my wife. Early afternoon spent enjoying the er, coffee, and lovely sunshine in Amsterdam. Then off to the station to find all the trains going out to Nijmegen screwed up.

It took us 3 hours to get there and we had to change a few times. The weather became hotter and hotter and we knew it was going to break. As we pulled into the Nijmegen there was an almighty thunderstorm with lightning. Support act Van Morrison fled after 3 songs and we just got wet. But soon after the Stones took to the stage the rain stopped. Not the best of performances.

Date: June 11, 2013 14:57

I've just landed a backstage pass for the entire Glasto event from a journalist friend but on the stipulation that I drive him down on the Thursday and we come back on Monday. Now, I've not done Glasto since 1986 on account of hating cold, rain and mud. What to do?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-11 15:40 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: June 11, 2013 15:00

Hi Mike,

Do it. Message ends.

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: June 11, 2013 15:23

Silver Dagger
I've just landed a backstage pass for the entire Glasto event from a journalist friend but on the stipulation that I drive him down on the Thursday and wqe come back on Monday. Now, I've not done Glasto since 1986 on account of hating cold, rain and mud. What to do ?

What to do ?

What to do is stop dithering and simply GO, that's what to do !!

I mean the thing is, that with a backstage pass, presumably you can simply flee to the sanctuary of the backstage area if the need arises, that's to say the heavens open up and the temperature plummets ? Or not, is that an incorrect assumption ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-11 15:27 by paulywaul.

Posted by: Jackglfc ()
Date: June 11, 2013 15:27

Silver Dagger
I've just landed a backstage pass for the entire Glasto event from a journalist friend but on the stipulation that I drive him down on the Thursday and wqe come back on Monday. Now, I've not done Glasto since 1986 on account of hating cold, rain and mud. What to do?

Give the pass to me?

Buy a good sleeping bag, tent, wellies and big bag. Make sure you have spare clothes that are kept dry for Monday

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 11, 2013 15:30

Go for it Mike.
Has he got a yurt or a tent?
I wouldn't mind roughin' it at all with that sort of access,even in my advanced years. winking smiley

Talking about rain at Glasto,the only time I saw The Stones in the rain was in Prague.
The summer when the Czech President came on stage and introduced the band.
Thunderstorm and torrential rain just before the gig and cleared up nicely when The Stones came on a bit later than normal. Great show. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 11, 2013 15:37

toomuchforme
it was very hot july 1st 95. I was completely WET. Such a hard rain (you know that U2 did not play with them because of it)

Stones june 22, 1990 Paris : wet !

So I do not expect a sunny july 6 show

If I remember right, at the Paris 22nd June show it stopped raining just before the Stones came on. The following day it rained throughout the gig.

The first Longchamp show (30th June) was probably the hottest day of the year. The second day was hot too until just before the Stones came on, then it absolutely pissed down.

Date: June 11, 2013 15:40

crawdaddy
Go for it Mike.
Has he got a yurt or a tent?
I wouldn't mind roughin' it at all with that sort of access,even in my advanced years. winking smiley

Talking about rain at Glasto,the only time I saw The Stones in the rain was in Prague.
The summer when the Czech President came on stage and introduced the band.
Thunderstorm and torrential rain just before the gig and cleared up nicely when The Stones came on a bit later than normal. Great show. >grinning smiley<

It's a tent but apparently the backstage tent area is not too bad and only a 30 minute average wait for showers. Yep, I guess I'll have to invest in proper rainy weather gear. It's all that partying that goes with it - not sure my heart could stand 4 days of it.

Date: June 11, 2013 15:42

paulywaul
Silver Dagger
I've just landed a backstage pass for the entire Glasto event from a journalist friend but on the stipulation that I drive him down on the Thursday and wqe come back on Monday. Now, I've not done Glasto since 1986 on account of hating cold, rain and mud. What to do ?

What to do ?

What to do is stop dithering and simply GO, that's what to do !!

I mean the thing is, that with a backstage pass, presumably you can simply flee to the sanctuary of the backstage area if the need arises, that's to say the heavens open up and the temperature plummets ? Or not, is that an incorrect assumption ?

Yep, you're right Paul and I couldn't live with myself missing that opportunity. Guess I need to approach it like a runner approaches a marathon...although a mental endurance test of partying for 4 days.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 11, 2013 15:49

It sounds like 5 star luxury compared to the masses.
I thought at first the backstage tent area was literally back stage.
Some of the performers rolling out of their tent and going on stage.
Mick and the lads will come in by helicoptor maybe, although Mick mentioned the family will be taking the Glasto scene in.
We will have to wait and see. smoking smiley

Date: June 11, 2013 15:58

Silver Dagger
I've just landed a backstage pass for the entire Glasto event from a journalist friend but on the stipulation that I drive him down on the Thursday and we come back on Monday. Now, I've not done Glasto since 1986 on account of hating cold, rain and mud. What to do?

Nice one, Mike - as backstage passes go, the Glasto weekend has to be the jackpot! We look forward to your reports from the inner sanctum and a photo of you with Farmer Eavis at the very least!

Date: June 11, 2013 16:01

crawdaddy
It sounds like 5 star luxury compared to the masses.
I thought at first the backstage tent area was literally back stage.
Some of the performers rolling out of their tent and going on stage.
Mick and the lads will come in by helicoptor maybe, although Mick mentioned the family will be taking the Glasto scene in.
We will have to wait and see. smoking smiley

I can't really imagine him mucking out with the hoi polloi, even if they have a £3000 yurt in a fairly private field Tony. As soon as he goes anywhere he'll be mobbed. Unless of course he dons a disguise.

Re: any meteorologists among us ? walk to the main entrance
Posted by: DECCA61 ()
Date: June 11, 2013 16:31

this could be the only walk to the main entrance or even to the pit area ....

[youtu.be]

Posted by: DECCA61 ()
Date: June 11, 2013 16:34

or maybe this is something likely, we could do in hyde park when it rains...

[youtu.be]

Date: June 11, 2013 16:53

Manofwealthandtaste
Silver Dagger

Nice one, Mike - as backstage passes go, the Glasto weekend has to be the jackpot! We look forward to your reports from the inner sanctum and a photo of you with Farmer Eavis at the very least!

Haha, I'll see what I can do Chris. Hope we can meet up for the Hyde park shows although I've still not secured a ticket for either show. I have a hunch that those ticket prices will really fall come the day of the show.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 11, 2013 17:17

It is the Stones. They perform better in rain. No worries. Lise throw away her shoes, they might not bring on any acoustic guitars, but the show will be great still.

Bjornulf

Date: June 11, 2013 17:20

bv
It is the Stones. They perform better in rain. No worries. Lise throw away her shoes, they might not bring on any acoustic guitars, but the show will be great still.

I've no doubt THEY'LL perform just fine .......... it's MY performance I'm concerned about !! winking smiley I just HATE open air gigs when the weather doesn't cooperate sad smiley

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 11, 2013 17:21

Nevertheless, let's hope it won't be raining!!

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1281
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home