Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: McCartney on Colbert Tonight
Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 12, 2013 18:52

I mention this because the normally 30 minute show will be 1 hour tonight, I assume because of the guest. It should be fun. Colbert's crazy and Paul's a good natured sport.

Re: OT: McCartney on Colbert Tonight
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 14, 2013 20:17

Thanks for alert. I have yet to watch it, but wouldn't DVR'ed but for your alert.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 14, 2013 20:26

It was great to hear For The Benefit of Mr. Kite. Those guys McCartney employs can do just about anything.

Date: June 14, 2013 22:25

24FPS
It was great to hear For The Benefit of Mr. Kite. Those guys McCartney employs can do just about anything.

During this little tribute to John, I was thinking if Sgt. Pepper could have been performed on stage. Perhaps not in the '60's, but later with the advances in electronics. I thought of someone like Garth Hudson surrounded by every type of electronic device he would need.

I thought the "Cheek To Cheek" segment was cute...the little duet with Paul bopping in his chair.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 14, 2013 22:27

Very nice show and generous offering by Paul. Loved it!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 15, 2013 01:20

Yes, it's a pity we never got to see if Lennon ever felt like revisiting his own art and giving it a spin on stage. He was only 40 when he died. Mick was making Undercover at that age.

Date: June 15, 2013 20:42

24FPS
Yes, it's a pity we never got to see if Lennon ever felt like revisiting his own art and giving it a spin on stage. He was only 40 when he died. Mick was making Undercover at that age.

Yes, what would John and George have wanted to do if they agreed to a reunion? Something to daydream about. I mentioned this before...But during that Lennon In NYC show on PBS there is an audio segment where Sean is singing bits of his favorite Beatles song and John's memory is fumbling around trying to remember the title. It was With A Little Help From My Friends. Good grief, John! Half the world knows that song and you helped create it and you cannot remember the title? Sean asked his Dad if that was him singing. John replied, again with incredible nonchalance. "No that is Ringo, but Paul and I are helping." The casualness of the reply...He could have been talking about the weather. It knocked me out.

Good question. How much would he want to revisit?

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 15, 2013 23:27

Thanks for the heads up. I saw Paul at Barclay's last week. Really great show. I had some boots from prior shows and Paul pretty much does the same exact show each night, including the witty banter. Such a great talent. I was close so I got to watch his bass technique, which is quite something.

Here's a link to the Colbert show:

[www.colbertnation.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 16, 2013 01:25

24FPS
Yes, it's a pity we never got to see if Lennon ever felt like revisiting his own art and giving it a spin on stage.

According to Double Fantasy producer Jack Douglas, Lennon was in fact working up two early Beatles songs--She Loves You and I Wanna Hold Your Hand--for his planned 1981 tour. Douglas claims to have recorded versions of these songs from the Double Fantasy sessions. Don't know how reliable that is, though, as Douglas is the only one out of all the technicians and musicians who worked on the album, to be making this claim. These tracks have yet to surface.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 16, 2013 01:52

stonehearted,
They did indeed record a ton of stuff during the Double Fantasy sessions. A lot of old rock standards, and they filmed it all as well. None of the film has surfaced, and I think Yoko is keeping under wraps. I have a boot of a lot of the old rock stuff, but it is recorded from the playback monitors in the booth, and not great quality. Lennon's vocals are good, but the music is very low and murky. I wouldn't doubt it. It would be a great question to ask Tony Levon or Earl Slick!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-16 02:14 by whitem8.

Date: June 16, 2013 03:26

Yoko, too, has confirmed, on her website a few years back, that Lennon was indeed planning on presenting early Beatles songs during his prospective 1981 tour.

"I don’t remember if he was thinking of doing “SHE LOVES YOU.” He definitely was thinking of doing “I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND.” but who knows. He may have changed his mind at the last minute. Don’t count on anything in life. Just enjoy as it happens."

Yoko Ono website: [www.imaginepeace.com]

Story on revelation at: [www.examiner.com]

But even more intriguing is Douglas' mention of the thus far unbootlegged track Street Of Dreams, apparently a song Lennon started writing back in his Beatle days (ca. 1965) and that supposedly exists somewhere on cassette as recorded during the Double Fantasy sessions.

Date: June 16, 2013 03:33

Speaking of Macca, though, has anyone seen these "Paulvana" images?

Which, of course, stemmed from....

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: June 16, 2013 14:39

stonehearted
24FPS
Yes, it's a pity we never got to see if Lennon ever felt like revisiting his own art and giving it a spin on stage.

According to Double Fantasy producer Jack Douglas, Lennon was in fact working up two early Beatles songs--She Loves You and I Wanna Hold Your Hand--for his planned 1981 tour.

During the "Double Fantasy"-Sessions Lennon and the Band played "She's a woman" a few times. I have a recording of that. A late-seventies recording of a slowed down version of "Help" with Lennon on the piano and struggling with the chords has been released on a box set, I think.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1441
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home