Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Let It Rock As A Opener
Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 16:56

It was used on the 78 tour. it was good

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-14 01:50 by Godxofxrock9.

Re: Let It Rock As A Opener
Date: June 13, 2013 16:59

Which one?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 13, 2013 17:09

best show opener ever.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: June 13, 2013 17:20

StonesTod
best show opener ever.

This!

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 17:23

They've already done it though.

I reckon they should start with Respectable.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 13, 2013 17:33

I think there are better Chuck Berry songs, so it isn't just about the idea of starting a show with a song by Chuck, but an obscure song by Chuck.

When they opened the U.S. shows with this song in '78, I guarantee you that at least 98% of the people in the stadium crowd never heard this one before.

It had only been available on the B-side of the import of "Brown Sugar" which was almost impossible to acquire.

If you were a die-hard fan, and knew what it was that they were playing...your head was exploding! YOU knew what it was! And all these other slobs didn't!

Of course you loved it.

It's a fine rocker, but hardly the greatest show opener.

I suspect that among the more elitist fans, it's greatest appeal is that it peaks the smug-o-meter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-13 17:34 by loog droog.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 13, 2013 17:35

loog droog
It's a fine rocker, but hardly the greatest show opener.

I suspect that among the more elitist fans, it's greatest appeal is that it peaks the smug-o-meter.

no, it's actually the greatest show opener ever. i don't fool around with this kinda thing.

Date: June 13, 2013 17:51

A great Chuck Berry opener would be Around and Around. That would just kill.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 13, 2013 17:53

Godxofxrock9
It was used on the 78 tour. They could have used a better song to open the shows with on that tour

I gotta disagree. I loved it. Delivered with much energy as seen in Some Girls Live in Texas.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 17:53

"Come On" 'd be unbeatable!

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: June 13, 2013 20:02

"Come On" was pretty lame. Let It Rock is a classic.

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 20:07

jazzbass
Godxofxrock9
It was used on the 78 tour. They could have used a better song to open the shows with on that tour

I gotta disagree. I loved it. Delivered with much energy as seen in Some Girls Live in Texas.
Yeah it was a good opener for the era

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 13, 2013 20:10

"Let It Rock As A Opener"

* Let It Rock As An Opener

Thanks. Carry on...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 13, 2013 20:22

That song is very weak...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 13, 2013 20:24

dcba

But so is the band (ducks for cover)

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: June 13, 2013 21:42

Anything but get off my cloud

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: June 13, 2013 22:04

I surely would vote for an Aftermath song

Under my thumb

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: June 13, 2013 23:09

Down the Road Apiece!

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 13, 2013 23:17

Godxofxrock9

A relevant argument after 35 years

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 23:20

Wait, everything was great then and everything sucks now. What's wrong with you?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 14, 2013 02:00

dcba

Maybe it should start doing weights

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 14, 2013 02:41

loog droog-[qoute]
'When they opened the U.S. shows with this song in '78, I guarantee you that at least 98% of the people in the stadium crowd never heard this one before.

It had only been available on the B-side of the import of "Brown Sugar" which was almost impossible to acquire.'

-actually i belive chuck berry had released it as well as bob seger and about half a dozen other rock and roll bands around that time.

if you think that "98% " of the people at a rolling stones concert in the united states in 1978 didnt know let it rock you are either from another country,another planet or suffering from some sort of brain damge.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 14, 2013 02:50

Almost wet my pants when they opened with it at the Capital Theater. Great opener.

Date: June 14, 2013 03:09

lem motlow

-actually i belive chuck berry had released it as well as bob seger and about half a dozen other rock and roll bands around that time.

if you think that "98% " of the people at a rolling stones concert in the united states in 1978 didnt know let it rock you are either from another country,another planet or suffering from some sort of brain damge.

I'll admit that I pulled that number out of the sky, (and I forgot about Seger and the Grateful Dead as well) but I maintain that most people at stadium gigs in 1978 had never heard the Rolling Stones version of that song prior to the show.

As far as people's awareness of Chuck's original recording, "Let It Rock" wasn't even included in the two-disc first volume of Chuck Berry's Golden Decade, (which had the biggest hits ). And I have never heard that version ever played on the radio.

Who told you about the brain damage?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 14, 2013 03:14

That's why the 70's issue by Chess "Chuck Berry's Golden Decade Vol 2" was more thought of as The Stone's Chuck Berry! Anyway,as much as I enjoyed the 78 show opener version, the 71 version from Leed's(that is used on the UK b-side multi single Brown Sugar) blows it completely out of the water..

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 14, 2013 05:07

loog droog
lem motlow

I'll admit that I pulled that number out of the sky, (and I forgot about Seger and the Grateful Dead as well) but I maintain that most people at stadium gigs in 1978 had never heard the Rolling Stones version of that song prior to the show.

As far as people's awareness of Chuck's original recording, "Let It Rock" wasn't even included in the two-disc first volume of Chuck Berry's Golden Decade, (which had the biggest hits ). And I have never heard that version ever played on the radio.

Who told you about the brain damage?

No, I think 98% is about right.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 14, 2013 06:29

I like it. It creates tension because it doesn't really have a chorus.....just builds.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 14, 2013 06:38

Fantastic opener! They were playing it dangerous and announcing "this isn't going to be the same old Stones show you were used to..." And Mick announcing backstage, "And now from England the Rolling F U C K I N G Stones!" and hearing the opening chords are exhilarating! THey played it better in 78, with some great punk attitude, and a double loud guitar.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 14, 2013 06:45

The lead break in 78 doesn't come close to 71...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 14, 2013 07:04

It is different. IMO just as good. But different.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1553
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home