Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Era-defining clips
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 9, 2013 13:33

Good Sunday everybody!

To salute the almost 51 years old band of ours, on-going tour and use the sources of our media here, I decided to have fun with something like this.

The deal is to find some peak Rolling Stones performances from each era. That is, to show that kind of live performances that are not just awesome but also peculiar to that era. Here is mine with some notes.

1. Brian Jones Era: "I'm Alright" from NME 1964 Concert

What is striking in this clip is the raw wilderness, the over-whelming energy and that five boys from London/Cheltenham conquering the world together. The sheer joy these guys are having together. The group feeling. Fresh and naive, but powerful. Jagger's non-controlled natural performance, as Keith's as well. Brian Jones's role is still integral to band, almost a second frontman. That the tune is a cover is peculiar to this era. The blues had a baby and they name it rock and roll. And the girls scream.

2. Mick Taylor Era: "All Down The Line" from Texas 1972.

The greatest rock and roll band in the world in the height of their peak no. 2 - they were challenged, and they showed all the "hard rock" bands of the era that the rock and roll stage is their reign. The signature Open G is there keeping that rhythmn down-down, while Taylor brings us unmatchable lead virtuosity with his masterful sharp use of slide. Jagger, the biggest rock star of the day, is, you know, moving like Jagger... Watts and Wyman, the straightest rhythm section of the world. The track is a typical (strong) rocker from greatest rock and roll album ever. There is no way rock and roll could sound and look better.

3. Ronnie Wood Era: "When the Whip Comes Down" from Hampton 1981.

The live peak era vol 3 - after showing everybody who is who by usual standards, the band has discovered a groove unmatchable to any rock band ever. The band is a living organ, always on the edge, but each guy reflecting what's going on, and taking his on share of responsibilities while trusting other's contribution. The golden moment of "ancient art of weaving", and Wyman's unique bass work taking freedoms not seen before - or since. Has a rock band ever sounded like a jazz band by their own means? And oh yeah, Jagger is still Jagger, now, while having biggest balls as ever, taking part to "three guitar attack". A typical (strong) rocker from their "come back" album, and probably their last huge album.

4. Vegas Era: "Gimme Shelter" from Amsterdam 1995.

After 1989 the band - on order to cope with the times - readjusted their sound, and learned a new professionalism in their doings (which also meant some of the old danger kicked out). This captures about the greatest moment when the new elements show their best side. The idea is to recapture the old magic of the original studio versions (of the songs released decades ago), and here it does. Wyman is gone, but the band is loaded with professional side musicians, such as Leavell, Fisher and Jones, who had a big role in the outcome here. But Keith the Pirate sounds majestic, and Peter Pan Jagger has found the secrets of eternal youth. Watts' role imagewise is bigger than ever. The result sounds simply stunning.

Comments? Own Suggestions?!

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-09 13:44 by Doxa.

Re: Era-defining clips
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 9, 2013 13:48

Nice appraisal Doxa.

And for the current era I'd have to stick in this clip of kleermaker's - that joyful version of Midnight Rambler from LA May 2013.

The engines are fully revving again and the old Stonesmobile has just had the motor reconditioned and is rolling down the highway and is gone, just solid gone like the cool breeze.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-09 13:48 by Silver Dagger.

Date: June 9, 2013 13:56

Thanks, Silver Dagger. And a nice addition. Even though I'm not quite sure if we are entering to a new era yet... let the times pass... But it is a damn magnificient and special that "Rambler" of 'ours'.

- Doxa

Date: June 9, 2013 14:03

Makes me wonder if the happenings we are wittnessing now, are going to so short-termed that it is hard to call an era of its own (even there are features that makes it different than 1989 to 2007 period), but more like "Coda" or "Afterword" or something. But it is wonderful, not just the band is still around, but also to follow the development.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-09 14:04 by Doxa.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 9, 2013 14:55

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-09 14:56 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: June 9, 2013 15:02

enjoyed the vids..i agree, the danger slipped out between 89 and 95..as much as I love Mick T's playing like everyone else, when Ronnie's static way of playing is on, it's on..but I do get the feel of Vegas most of the time now except on occasions like the Rambler vid from LA...thanks

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 9, 2013 15:10

I know you specified performance clips Doxa, but I think you can argue that these two clips were definitely era defining.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 9, 2013 18:59

This is not a video, but you would have a hard time convincing me there is a greater performance by the band. The '73 tour for me is like a late summer melon, a touch past its prime, but still thoroughly delicious. This performance is a moment of grandeur. The performance is powerful and almost too slick. It truly is an end of an era.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 9, 2013 20:11

<2. Mick Taylor Era: "All Down The Line" from Texas 1972.>

An absolutely smokin' performance. People complain about the woodeness of the young Taylor, but I would not mind seeing some of that "cool" now. smiling smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 9, 2013 20:15

But even more important are the eras within the eras, and the eras right before an era changes to another era, and of course examine the era right after an era changes to a new era, and the era when an era begins to wain and starts to change in to another era. This must all be defined, cataloged and analyzed, and once it is all analyzed, it should be overanalyzed, just to make sure it was analyzed correctly the first time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-09 20:20 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 9, 2013 20:52

If I were savvy, and I'm not sure it exists, but a clip of defiant Keith telling the Court, "I'm not concerned with your petty morals"....while Mick cries and Brian begins to crack up, certainly defines the dawn of a new era, as well as the larger than life character Keith became......BALLZ!!!

Date: June 9, 2013 22:33

Maybe not era defining but the menace in this is amazing. For me, it's the start of their dark persona that was later honed to perfection on Paint It Black, Sympathy, Midnight Rambler and Gimme Shelter. I believe it is from the Red Skelton Show.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: June 9, 2013 22:37

video: [www.youtube.com]

HMN

Date: June 9, 2013 22:39

Honestman
video: [www.youtube.com]

Era ending moment that. Not for the Stones but for the Woodstock generation.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 9, 2013 22:55

This rare TV appearance from 1968 fits in between Doxa's choices number 1 and 2.
Important era....where they transformed into something really else, but had yet to take it on to the stage. I should let Doxa do the talking though....words ain't my thang

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-09 22:57 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 10, 2013 21:53

I love this live version of 'Little Red Rooster', possibly more than any of the other Stones live performances on the Ed Sullivan Show, and especially the later ones which were mimed aside from Jagger's live vocal. I think musically this version is extremely fresh sounding with Brian supplying that wonderfully effective slide guitar. Rumour has it that Brian's slide playing on the studio version was overdubbed after the rest of the Stones had finished their parts. However, for me, this live version is my favourite take on this song. The Stones could be really quite subtle when the mood took them, and this relatively uncommercial blues cover was quite a dare for them to release as a single, especially after their previous record 'Its All Over Now' had made the UK no1. The Stones early takes on the blues were rarely truly convincing, because the Stones could never find a way of quite making those songs their own, and standing outside the shadows of the more authentic sounding originals. 'Little Red Rooster', though, proved a wonderful exception, and earned them their second UK no1.

'19th Nervous Breakdown', is perhaps my favourite Stones single. It may not have such a strong riff as many of the other singles they released from this period, but i just love the raw energy of it. It still amazes me how the Stones managed to keep it all together, as it strikes me on several occasions that the song may be just about to veer out of control. I love the slight rockabilly rhythm and Mick and Keith singing in unison on parts of the chorus. I can recall Keith comparing the song to the Everly Brothers, and i think he was especially referring to those joint vocals, between him and Mick. Like 'Paint It Black', 'Mothers Little Helper' etc. i enjoy also the way the Stones reflected a little of what was happening around them too within the song's lyrics. They were a long long way from becoming cliched either, lyrically, or musically, despite a similar raw edge contained within many of their single releases. I love the clip contained in this link too, because there is a rare segment of the Stones performing the song on Top Of The Pops - and badly mimed at that i may add!!

Another one of my all time favourite Stones song. What i loved about the Stones from this period, and what made me such an enormous fan, was the diversity within their music. 'Lady Jane' in a sense was of its time, because the sixties was very much a period when so many of the artists were experimenting with different musical flavourings - almost nothing was off limits. I love the sitar on 'Paint It Black' the marimbas on 'Under My Thumb' and the harpsicord and dulcimer on this song. It's great the way Jagger embraces those olde England references, and how despite a more placid musical palate than many of the Stones more uptempo numbers, there is still that element of menace.

I may be in the minority here, but i just love 'Emotional Rescue'. The song is pretty hard to catagorise in my opinion, because it isn't really a disco song, despite it being described as that. It has a sort of half reggae beat perhaps. Maybe Jagger had been influenced by the Bee Gees at this point with his falsetto type singing, but it has a harshness about it which is hardly repesentative of Barry Gibb (it may be closer to Prince?). I love it when the Stones take chances, but not when they are too derivative, with regards to jumping on the bandwagon of a younger generation. 'Emotional Rescue' may reflect its time, but the song is an amalgamation of different influences - for me that's why it works so well!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 22:00 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 10, 2013 22:01

Doxa
Good Sunday everybody!

To salute the almost 51 years old band of ours, on-going tour and use the sources of our media here, I decided to have fun with something like this.

The deal is to find some peak Rolling Stones performances from each era. That is, to show that kind of live performances that are not just awesome but also peculiar to that era. Here is mine with some notes.

1. Brian Jones Era: "I'm Alright" from NME 1964 Concert

What is striking in this clip is the raw wilderness, the over-whelming energy and that five boys from London/Cheltenham conquering the world together. The sheer joy these guys are having together. The group feeling. Fresh and naive, but powerful. Jagger's non-controlled natural performance, as Keith's as well. Brian Jones's role is still integral to band, almost a second frontman. That the tune is a cover is peculiar to this era. The blues had a baby and they name it rock and roll. And the girls scream.

2. Mick Taylor Era: "All Down The Line" from Texas 1972.

The greatest rock and roll band in the world in the height of their peak no. 2 - they were challenged, and they showed all the "hard rock" bands of the era that the rock and roll stage is their reign. The signature Open G is there keeping that rhythmn down-down, while Taylor brings us unmatchable lead virtuosity with his masterful sharp use of slide. Jagger, the biggest rock star of the day, is, you know, moving like Jagger... Watts and Wyman, the straightest rhythm section of the world. The track is a typical (strong) rocker from greatest rock and roll album ever. There is no way rock and roll could sound and look better.

3. Ronnie Wood Era: "When the Whip Comes Down" from Hampton 1981.

The live peak era vol 3 - after showing everybody who is who by usual standards, the band has discovered a groove unmatchable to any rock band ever. The band is a living organ, always on the edge, but each guy reflecting what's going on, and taking his on share of responsibilities while trusting other's contribution. The golden moment of "ancient art of weaving", and Wyman's unique bass work taking freedoms not seen before - or since. Has a rock band ever sounded like a jazz band by their own means? And oh yeah, Jagger is still Jagger, now, while having biggest balls as ever, taking part to "three guitar attack". A typical (strong) rocker from their "come back" album, and probably their last huge album.

4. Vegas Era: "Gimme Shelter" from Amsterdam 1995.

After 1989 the band - on order to cope with the times - readjusted their sound, and learned a new professionalism in their doings (which also meant some of the old danger kicked out). This captures about the greatest moment when the new elements show their best side. The idea is to recapture the old magic of the original studio versions (of the songs released decades ago), and here it does. Wyman is gone, but the band is loaded with professional side musicians, such as Leavell, Fisher and Jones, who had a big role in the outcome here. But Keith the Pirate sounds majestic, and Peter Pan Jagger has found the secrets of eternal youth. Watts' role imagewise is bigger than ever. The result sounds simply stunning.

Comments? Own Suggestions?!

- Doxa

grinning smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 10, 2013 22:25

Edward Twining

I love this live version of 'Little Red Rooster', possibly more than any of the other Stones live performances on the Ed Sullivan Show, and especially the later ones which were mimed aside from Jagger's live vocal. I think musically this version is extremely fresh sounding with Brian supplying that wonderfully effective slide guitar. Rumour has it that Brian's slide playing on the studio version was overdubbed after the rest of the Stones had finished their parts. However, for me, this live version is my favourite take on this song. The Stones could be really quite subtle when the mood took them, and this relatively uncommercial blues cover was quite a dare for them to release as a single, especially after their previous record 'Its All Over Now' had made the UK no1. The Stones early takes on the blues were rarely truly convincing, because the Stones could never find a way of quite making those songs their own, and standing outside the shadows of the more authentic sounding originals. 'Little Red Rooster', though, proved a wonderful exception, and earned them their second UK no1.

'19th Nervous Breakdown', is perhaps my favourite Stones single. It may not have such a strong riff as many of the other singles they released from this period, but i just love the raw energy of it. It still amazes me how the Stones managed to keep it all together, as it strikes me on several occasions that the song may be just about to veer out of control. I love the slight rockabilly rhythm and Mick and Keith singing in unison on parts of the chorus. I can recall Keith comparing the song to the Everly Brothers, and i think he was especially referring to those joint vocals, between him and Mick. Like 'Paint It Black', 'Mothers Little Helper' etc. i enjoy also the way the Stones reflected a little of what was happening around them too within the song's lyrics. They were a long long way from becoming cliched either, lyrically, or musically, despite a similar raw edge contained within many of their single releases. I love the clip contained in this link too, because there is a rare segment of the Stones performing the song on Top Of The Pops - and badly mimed at that i may add!!

Another one of my all time favourite Stones song. What i loved about the Stones from this period, and what made me such an enormous fan, was the diversity within their music. 'Lady Jane' in a sense was of its time, because the sixties was very much a period when so many of the artists were experimenting with different musical flavourings - almost nothing was off limits. I love the sitar on 'Paint It Black' the marimbas on 'Under My Thumb' and the harpsicord and dulcimer on this song. It's great the way Jagger embraces those olde England references, and how despite a more placid musical palate than many of the Stones more uptempo numbers, there is still that element of menace.

thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2413
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home