Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Pete Best
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 6, 2013 15:46

Here's a show that sounds like fun. Or does it?

[freedomhill.net]

Re: OT: Pete Best
Date: June 6, 2013 15:47

According to Pete's website, he sits in with the Beatlemania band for five songs. How weird is that? The phony Ringo gets kicked out of the phony Beatles so that the very real, 71-year-old Pete Best can replace him.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-06 16:04 by tatters.

Date: June 6, 2013 15:51

You even get a meet and greet with the purchase of a VIP ticket. What would anyone have to say to Pete Best that wouldn't be weirdly awkward and inappropriate? "Thanks for all the great music?" What music?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-06 16:01 by tatters.

Date: June 6, 2013 15:58

Date: June 6, 2013 16:37

You know what would be funny? If someday at a Paul McCartney concert, when Paul had his back turned, Abe got up from his drums and allowed Pete Best to fill in. The WTF expression on Paul's face when he noticed that "Abe" had suddenly become inept would be priceless, not to mention the WTF expression on his face when he whirled around and saw who was playing the drums.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 6, 2013 18:07

tatters
You know what would be funny? If someday at a Paul McCartney concert, when Paul had his back turned, Abe got up from his drums and allowed Pete Best to fill in. The WTF expression on Paul's face when he noticed that "Abe" had suddenly become inept would be priceless, not to mention the WTF expression on his face when he whirled around and saw who was playing the drums.

If Paul recognized Pete Best at this point. I doubt they've seen each other in 51 years.

Posted by: Des ()
Date: June 6, 2013 18:26

He moved to our town many years ago in western Canada. As my dad was the town percussionist of choice they got to know each other. Pete even got religion here and quit the drumms for some time. My biggest musical regret was that my dad considered rock drumming beneith him so when I pushed him for lessons he declined anything but a classical approach but announced he would ask Pete to write me out some rock drum sheet and a couple of weeks later came through. Yes I lost them.

Date: June 7, 2013 01:56

24FPS
tatters

If Paul recognized Pete Best at this point. I doubt they've seen each other in 51 years.

It's possible there could have been some business meetings having to do with Pete's one-time only, lump sum cash payout for the use of 10 tracks on Anthology 1 that feature his drumming. Then again, I guess that could all have been worked out by their lawyers without either of them being present.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-07 15:44 by tatters.

Date: June 7, 2013 15:33

Pete's got some pretty cool merchandise for sale at his official website. I kinda like these autographed posters advertising pre-historic Beatles gigs. I wonder if anyone has tried getting Macca to add his signature to one of these. Since some of them also mention Rory Storm and the Hurricanes as an opening act, I suppose you could even get Ringo to sign it, and then you'd have the signatures of all three living Beatles. Yeah. Good luck with that.

[www.petebest.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-08 18:01 by tatters.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 7, 2013 15:46

Poor fella, really feel bad for him, getting kicked out on the cusp of world domination.

Watching what happened must have hurt bad!

Date: June 7, 2013 16:06

Supposedly, at the height of Beatlemania, he did seriously consider suicide. You have to give the guy credit for hanging in there. I'm not sure I could have gotten out of bed every morning and gone to work in a bakery, or whatever, knowing my former associates were now the four most famous people in the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-07 16:08 by tatters.

Posted by: Beast of Babylon ()
Date: June 7, 2013 16:11

tatters
You even get a meet and greet with the purchase of a VIP ticket. What would anyone have to say to Pete Best that wouldn't be weirdly awkward and inappropriate? "Thanks for all the great music?" What music?

I laughed out loud this morning at this comment, very funny!

Posted by: Beast of Babylon ()
Date: June 7, 2013 16:15

Can't Imagine, like playing the same lotto numbers for life, and forgetting to get a ticket one night, and your numbers hit....... i give pete all the credit in the world...... there is also only a few in the world that can say they played and recorded with the beatles......Pete, Clapton,Billy Preston.....and the orchestra on Day in a life lol

Date: June 8, 2013 17:37

Pitiful. The camera person is more interested in the right-handed twenty-something "Paul" than in the actual Beatle playing the drums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-08 17:43 by tatters.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 8, 2013 18:40

This is a peculiar new book about a racing horse named Never Say Day—born in Kentucky—who, when he raced in England, was predicted to lose against the English-born horses. So The English were shocked when Never Say Die won. Except for one Mona Best, who'd bet everything she had on the horse and won enough to buy a large Liverpool house, in the basement of which she put the Casbah Coffee Club, where the Beatles would hang and play. The book thus posits that if Never Say Die had never won that race, the Beatles wouldn't have happened.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: June 8, 2013 18:59

I actually have a 45 single from 1964 from the Pete Best Band (billed on the label as 'Best of the Beatles" )
believe it was a cover of an Ike Turner tune called "I'm Blue' -- wasn't half bad as I recall......

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: June 8, 2013 19:11

Lissen, this is funny!! Very "beatly"

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 8, 2013 19:30

Why is he still ridding on the coattails of his Beatles association? It isn't as if he were dismissed during the height of Beatlemania.

Date: June 8, 2013 20:00

Title5Take1

This is a peculiar new book about a racing horse named Never Say Day—born in Kentucky—who, when he raced in England, was predicted to lose against the English-born horses. So The English were shocked when Never Say Die won. Except for one Mona Best, who'd bet everything she had on the horse and won enough to buy a large Liverpool house, in the basement of which she put the Casbah Coffee Club, where the Beatles would hang and play. The book thus posits that if Never Say Die had never won that race, the Beatles wouldn't have happened.

The Casbah didn't open until 1959. John, Paul, and George were already performing as The Quarrymen by then. If the Casbah had never existed, they would have found somewhere else to hang out.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-08 20:22 by tatters.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 8, 2013 20:22

tatters
Title5Take1

The Casbah didn't open until 1959. John, Paul, and George were already performing as The Quarrymen by then. I'm sure that if the Casbah had never existed, they would have found somewhere else to play.

I haven't read Never Say Die but have read Mojo's book The Beatles: Ten Years That Shook the World, which say this on p. 15-16: "On July 2, 1958, The Quarry Men decided to make a record at Percy Philips' studio...Buddy Holly's That'll Be The Day and an original number...The session would be the summit of the Quarry Men's career. They played their last gig together, at the Woolton Village club, and then went their separate ways—John and Paul to work at becoming a songwriting team, while George joined the Les Stewart Quartet...

"The next act of the drama opens in August 1959. A new club, the Casbah, was opening in the West Derby area of Liverpool. The Les Stewart Quartet were offered the residency, having been tipped off by George's girlfriend Ruth Morrison. Stewart didn't take up the residency—he was in a pique because guitarist Ken Brown had been missing rehearsals to help prepare the Casbah for the opening. Brown suggested to George that they form another group and go for the residency, so George contacted John and Paul. Mona Best, who ran the Casbah, gave them the job and they revived the name The Quarry Men. But for this turn of events, George would have gone his separate way, and The Beatles would never have existed."

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: June 8, 2013 20:54

A friend of mine did play with Pete Best on the argentine cover band The Beats. That was funny, I always thought the Beatles were right leaving Pete Best, he was painful. What a loser

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: June 8, 2013 21:19

His Majesty
Poor fella, really feel bad for him, getting kicked out on the cusp of world domination.

Watching what happened must have hurt bad!

And to make things worse, the Beatle's roadie knocked up Pete's Mom!eye popping smiley

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: June 8, 2013 22:05

I font think Pete was a loser! He just wasn't the guy for that band!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 8, 2013 23:16

Pete always sounded like he was building a shed.

Date: June 8, 2013 23:34

Wikipedia sheds some light on Pete's considerable shortcomings as a drummer (though the mere fact that Ringo was considered to be much better should tell you everything you need to know).

Musically, Best has been judged to have had a limited rhythmic vocabulary that was seen as holding the other three band members back from their collective musical growth. Martin (see above), deemed Best's drumming to be inadequate for a recording. As stated in Bob Spitz's 2005 biography: "All Pete could do was play 'Fours'", a style of drumming that uses kick drum notes on every quarter note to hold down the beat. Spitz's book also contains engineer Ron Richards' account of his failed attempts to teach Best somewhat more complicated beats for different songs. Critic and Beatles historian, Richie Unterberger, described Best's drumming at the Decca session as "thinly textured and rather unimaginative", adding that Best "pushes the beat a little too fast for comfort". Unterberger thought Starr to be "more talented". Beatles' critic Alan W. Pollack compared the Best, Starr, and Andy White versions of "Love Me Do", and concluded that Best was "an incredibly unsteady and tasteless drummer" on his version. Beatles' historian Ian MacDonald, recounting the Decca audition, said that "Best's limitations as a drummer are nakedly apparent". MacDonald notes of the 6 June EMI recording session that "...this audition version [of "Love Me Do"] shows one of the reasons why Pete Best was sacked: in moving to the ride cymbal for the first middle eight, he slows down and the group falters". MacDonald incorrectly notes that the session was an audition, which it was not, being the first recording for a single release.
All the other Beatles went on record about the dismissal of Best. McCartney: "It was a strictly professional decision. If he wasn't up to the mark... then there was no other choice." He also pronounced Best to be "a bit limited". Harrison said that "Pete kept being sick and not showing up for gigs" and admitted, "I was quite responsible for stirring things up. I conspired to get Ringo in for good; I talked to Paul and John until they came round to the idea." For his part, Starr said: "I felt I was a much better drummer than he [Best] was".
Lennon, McCartney, and Harrison all later stated that they regretted the manner in which Best was sacked. Lennon admitted that "we were cowards when we sacked him. We made Brian do it." McCartney stated: "I do feel sorry for him, because of what he could have been on to." Harrison: "We weren't very good at telling Pete he had to go. Historically it may look like we did something nasty to Pete and it may have been that we could have handled it better." Starr, on the other hand, feels he has no apology to make: "I never felt sorry ... I was not involved." Mark Lewisohn concluded that "Despite his alleged shortcomings, it was still shabby treatment ... the most underhand, unfortunate and unforgivable chapter in The Beatles' rise to monumental power."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-09 00:17 by tatters.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 9, 2013 00:00

Ringo was a good drummer.

He's been unfairly maligned because of a piss-take comment by John when John hated everyone.

The drumming on A Day in the Life is exceptional.

The drumming on Rain is superb.

The "Ringo is crap" nonsense is just that.

Date: June 9, 2013 00:16

Buddy Rich, who knew a thing or two about drumming, deemed Ringo to be "merely adequate, nothing more." He did allow that Ginger Baker was "good" however.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: June 9, 2013 00:18

Pete drumming on an early take of "Love Me Do". Not all that good. He really botches the middle eight.

Date: June 9, 2013 00:19

TippyToe
Pete drumming on an early take of "Love Me Do". Not all that good. He really botches the middle eight.

Is he playing drums or tuna fish tins?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 9, 2013 01:38

tatters
According to Pete's website, he sits in with the Beatlemania band for five songs. How weird is that? The phony Ringo gets kicked out of the phony Beatles so that the very real, 71-year-old Pete Best can replace him.

It would be perfect if Beatlemania then kicked out Pete Best and replaced him with the real Ringo.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1372
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home