Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ranking the Chicago Shows
Posted by: bms941 ()
Date: June 4, 2013 22:04

Living in Chicago and figuring this might be the last time the Stones play here, I decided to attend all three shows. I would definitely rank number 2 (Friday) as the strongest. In my opinion, CYHMK with MT was the highlight of the entire Chicago run. Sheryl Crow sounded and looked great on All Down The Line. Shine A Light and Midnight Rambler were fanstastic. The chemistry between Mick, Keith, Charlie, Ronnie (and MT when on stage) was great, with lots of laughing and camaraderie, manifesting itself with the impromptu singing of "Happy Birthday" for Ronnie and Charlie. It was a great evening with a great vibe and one of the best Stones performances I've seen in the past 15 years.

I'm also biased to number 2 because I took my 7 year old son. It was his first concert ever...by any artist. We had row 1 of section 104, so he was able to see everything clearly without standing. He loved it...and definitely appeared to be one of the youngest people in attendance.

Number 1 and 3 were both strong with their respective highlights, but number 2 was tops for me.

Very interested to hear how others of you who attended all three shows would rank them.

Re: Ranking the Chicago Shows
Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 4, 2013 22:08

bms941
Living in Chicago and figuring this might be the last time the Stones play here, I decided to attend all three shows. I would definitely rank number 2 (Friday) as the strongest. In my opinion, CYHMK with MT was the highlight of the entire Chicago run. Sheryl Crow sounded and looked great on All Down The Line. Shine A Light and Midnight Rambler were fanstastic. The chemistry between Mick, Keith, Charlie, Ronnie (and MT when on stage) was great, with lots of laughing and camaraderie, manifesting itself with the impromptu singing of "Happy Birthday" for Ronnie and Charlie. It was a great evening with a great vibe and one of the best Stones performances I've seen in the past 15 years.

I'm also biased to number 2 because I took my 7 year old son. It was his first concert ever...by any artist. We had row 1 of section 104, so he was able to see everything clearly without standing. He loved it...and definitely appeared to be one of the youngest people in attendance.

Number 1 and 3 were both strong with their respective highlights, but number 2 was tops for me.

Very interested to hear how others of you who attended all three shows would rank them.

It is really great that someone has opportunity to attend three concerts in a row, I'm really jealous...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 22:08 by rollingon.

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: June 4, 2013 22:13

I was at both Tuesday and Friday. I thought Tuesday was fantastic, and I had nosebleed seats for it. Friday night I was in the Pit (which added a whole other dimension to the experience), and I agree that it surpassed Tuesday's great show with the songs you noted above.

I just have to say how good they were both nights. Went back and listened to some of the sound board boots from 2006 that were absolute train wrecks. They've (especially Keith) really brought it this time. I was so happy to see and hear how great they are this time around when everyone was nervous how Keith would sound.

I can honestly see them doing this for several more years if not more, they certainly looked (especially from my close vantage point on Tuesday), to be truly enjoying themselves.

Posted by: jackdog ()
Date: June 4, 2013 22:18

bms941

I didn't see 3 but saw 1 & 2 and no doubt the #2 show Friday was way better than #1. More energy, the mix/sound was better/louder, the MT songs were awesome and Jagger was on fire as was the whole band. Thought Crow was fair and Tumbling Dice was off but one of the best shows I have seen by Stones in a while. Keith was on his game as well.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: June 4, 2013 22:33

I was at show 2 and it was AMAZING!

CYHMK & the Best Rambler of the 3 concerts

Though Rambler night 1 was HOT!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 4, 2013 22:45

Aside from a better sound mix on the 28th, and Keith playing the intro to IORR in the wrong key/chord/whatever, the 31st was definitely the better show. Midnight Rambler on both nights was AMAZING. I described it to others as though an atomic bomb had been dropped.

I really do not care what Jagger says about the 'hits'. NOTHING got frenzied applause of Midnight Rambler or Can't You Hear Me Knocking. NOTHING. None of the 'hits', NOTHING CAME CLOSE. Oh, and everyone in the crowd apparently knows Emotional Rescue. It is not an obscure song. Sway, on the other hand, IS an obscure song.

We had tickets to the third Chicago show but decided to go home instead. My wife and I would have boo'd Taylor Swift had we been there. My better half is from Mississippi (Swift's home state) and she hates her more than I do. Dumb airhead pop singer who wouldn't make it if she looked like Aretha Franklin

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 4, 2013 22:47

flacnvinyl
Aside from a better sound mix on the 28th, and Keith playing the intro to IORR in the wrong key/chord/whatever, the 31st was definitely the better show. Midnight Rambler on both nights was AMAZING. I described it to others as though an atomic bomb had been dropped.

I really do not care what Jagger says about the 'hits'. NOTHING got frenzied applause of Midnight Rambler or Can't You Hear Me Knocking. NOTHING. None of the 'hits', NOTHING CAME CLOSE. Oh, and everyone in the crowd apparently knows Emotional Rescue. It is not an obscure song. Sway, on the other hand, IS an obscure song.

We had tickets to the third Chicago show but decided to go home instead. My wife and I would have boo'd Taylor Swift had we been there. My better half is from Mississippi (Swift's home state) and she hates her more than I do. Dumb airhead pop singer who wouldn't make it if she looked like Aretha Franklin

Shouldn't you be off EQing and mastering instead of wasting time here?
Get to it!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 4, 2013 23:09

Then too, your comments are much appreciated, flacvinyl.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 4, 2013 23:36

Ha! I did not take as much care in recording this time as previous times, but it seems to have come out very decent. The 28th came out best, 31st is a bit distant. Very very happy crowd around me so I am not sure if I will release it. We'll see what happens with other tapers. Hopefully someone had a better location for the 31st.

In years past I really cared but this time around everyone in the world is filming on their phones/cameras, and the setlist isn't really changing much, so I figured I'd record just for the heck of it. Will post a sample soon..

Update: Sample - Chicago 28th - Sympathy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-05 00:07 by flacnvinyl.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: June 5, 2013 00:08

The 3rd night was far superior IMO. Because it was the only one I attended may have something to do with it!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 5, 2013 00:32

flacnvinyl
Ha! I did not take as much care in recording this time as previous times, but it seems to have come out very decent. The 28th came out best, 31st is a bit distant. Very very happy crowd around me so I am not sure if I will release it. We'll see what happens with other tapers. Hopefully someone had a better location for the 31st.

In years past I really cared but this time around everyone in the world is filming on their phones/cameras, and the setlist isn't really changing much, so I figured I'd record just for the heck of it. Will post a sample soon..

Agreed...taping used to be a neurotic exercise in missing the social side of a good show...including the beer! now I couldn't care less...I'll take the beer...if you ain't proud of it, keep it private...thanks for taping

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 5, 2013 05:30

But if you want to send the 31st over to me, I'll be glad to give it a listen, D.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 5, 2013 15:02

angee
But if you want to send the 31st over to me, I'll be glad to give it a listen, D.

Have a look at the buy-sell-trade section of Iorr.

Date: June 5, 2013 15:15

flacnvinyl

The recording is great, Drake - but what the heck is Mick doing??? He's singing totally off key on the first verse grinning smiley

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 5, 2013 15:26

Hey Barry,
First off...congrats to you that you saw all three shows!
Damn. Who would have imagined that the Stones would spend a week in Chicago in 2013?!

Having seen #2 and # 3, I have to rank Friday night as the better of the two.
In fact, it's quickly becoming my favorite Rolling Stones show EVER!

All Down The Line was phenomenal!
Knocking with Taylor was phenomenal!
Start Me Up was phenomenal!
Rambler was phenomenal! (Like it is every night...wow)
The choir was phenomenal!
The $85 Tongue Pit ticket was phenomenal!

More smiles from the stage than I've ever seen...
Happy Birthday to Ronnie AND Charlie...

Holy shit.
Chicago #2 WINS!

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: June 5, 2013 15:56

I saw all three, here is my ranking...

1. Friday 5/31
2. Tuesday 5/28
3. Monday 6/3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1012
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home