Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: GD Europe 72 Box Set
Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: January 19, 2011 22:00

DEAD REACH BACK TO LEGENDARY 1972 TOUR FOR MASSIVE BOX SET
Due in fall, the 60-plus CD release includes every show from European trek.

On April 1st, 1972, the Grateful Dead arrived in Britain for the opening dates of their first European tour. The timing was perfect - "the feast of fools," guitarist Bob Weir says, laughing. "There was a challenge for us, playing for people not familiar with what we were up to. But we were ready for fresh ears...we were hot."...

In the fall, the tour will be released by Rhino as a limited-edition beast: 22 shows on more than 60 CDs. The lavish set, available by pre-order from the Dead's website, will cost over $400 and is unprecedented even by their archive-box standards.

"By the time we're finished, we'll have put two years into this," says producer David Lemieux, who expects mixing and mastering to wrap by June. "If there was ever a tour that needed a complete release, it was Europe '72. It's one of the top three tours the Dead ever did, and there's a pristine 16-track recording of every show..."

"I remember that tour clearly," says bassist Phil Lesh, noting that no one in the band had been to Europe before. [SIC] "In Hamburg, we played in the hall where Brahms played. In Paris, I literally felt the spirits of Chopin and Debussy. I think that made us play better. I remember being on..."
"Someone would catch fire, and that would spread," Bob Weir says. "I'd catch a riff everyone coalesced around. Then someone else would come up with something that took us another way. It was a collective flash - time to move on."

The Dead were in dramatic transition that spring, emboldened by the jazzy ambitions of new pianist Keith Godchaux. "It was amazing how tuned in he was to our music," Lesh says. "In Paris, he played like a god."

The European tour was also the Dead's last with ailing singer-organist Ron 'Pigpen' McKernan, who died in 1973. "He didn't have as much energy as before," Weir says, "but he was trying his best to deal with it."...

Lemieux says other Dead tours deserve full release, such as the fall of '73 and spring 1990: "It's such a diverse band. You can do boxes from '72 and '89 back-to-back, and there's nothing similar about them, except it's Grateful Dead music."

"It all boils down to, 'Is there a story there?'" says Weir. "If we can find an era like this, with a story line and development - and I have a feeling there is - there would be merit in doing this again."

Re: OT: GD Europe 72 Box Set
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 19, 2011 22:21

yay

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: January 19, 2011 22:24

Very interesting..

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: January 19, 2011 22:44

60-plus CD release...

isn't it the time to release every GD show and sell the pack on some hard drives... makes much more sense to me!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 20, 2011 00:39

...and I still haven´t finished the Winterland ´73 box...

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: January 23, 2011 16:14

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-11 22:52 by misterfrias.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 23, 2011 17:51

7200x450 = 3240000 dollars... Wow!

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: January 23, 2011 19:11

It's funny but I was thinking about starting an OT thread on this very subject which might have been titled: OT - Stones could learn something about opening the vaults from The Dead's Europe 72 release.

Imagine a Rolling Stones complete 1972, and or 1973 tour release with lots of cool stuff? If they don't have all of those shows then release what they have.

Try these links for what the Dead are doing and imagine -- and lobby -- the Stones for something like this!

[www.dead.net]

[www.dead.net]

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 23, 2011 19:44

deadegad
It's funny but I was thinking about starting an OT thread on this very subject which might have been titled: OT - Stones could learn something about opening the vaults from The Dead's Europe 72 release.

Imagine a Rolling Stones complete 1972, and or 1973 tour release with lots of cool stuff? If they don't have all of those shows then release what they have.

i have no doubt that stones/dead fans often ponder the possibilities. you can say what you want if you're not a deadhead...but the dead has always put the fan first....

Date: January 24, 2011 00:16

"the dead has always put the fan first"
True! They put music second btw... grinning smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 24, 2011 02:01

misterfrias
Sadly, I didn't get a notice about this from dead.net until after all 7200 sets were sold out.

Looks like they will be releasing a "non-limited edition" set of just the CDs. Minus the book & other trinkets that the limited edition set contained, yet at the same price as the limited edition set ($450).

Yeah, I will still buy it.

In this case I´m glad to stick to my "Rockin The Rhein" set with the bizarre cover
featuring a fantasy flag...

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: January 24, 2011 03:55

I'm In.

Just received my code and sucessfully placed my order. Interestingly I could have ordered more than one. Best GD Tour Ever?...maybe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-24 07:02 by jabhead.

Date: January 24, 2011 05:05

so when is the next GD release that will be in stores? its closing in on a year since the last retail outlet release

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: January 24, 2011 07:35

Absolutely brilliant tour. I have a deluxe box copy of the original Europe '72 3-LP set with some 8 "new" bonus tracks and it is just an amazing set. One of the 10 best live albums ever. It has magical moments all over. The "China Cat Sunflower" / "I Know You Rider" medley is one of the highlights of live rock music of the last half century.

It must be mentioned that the Dead, much like the Stones did for their amazing Ya Ya's live set, later did massive overdubbing of the vocal tacks when they were mixing the live album in the studio...nevertheless, who can complain...and if this new 60 CD set (or as was suggested - simply a Europe '72 Hard Drive!) can give us the raw concerts without any studio alterations...well so much the better.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 24, 2011 07:41

I pre-ordered my copy this morning. Yippee! When it arrives, I'll unload my boots from that tour, but hang onto the official releases.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: January 24, 2011 08:50

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: January 24, 2011 21:03

This Europe 72 box set sold out the initial 7200 copies in only four days. I'd bet they wish they had offered more because it certainly seems that there is a market for it.

[www.dead.net]

I would bet that the Stones could sell even more. It is time to open the Stones vaults and create something like the Dead's Europe 72 Complete.

I dream about this and salivate like a Pavlov Dog.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-24 21:33 by deadegad.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 27, 2011 01:37

What? They're not including footage of all 22 shows on 60 DVDs, too?

MISSED OPPORTUNITY!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-27 01:38 by tatters.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 27, 2011 01:44

I saw them live on that tour.
But I wouldn't say it made me their greatest fan . .

Date: January 27, 2011 01:50

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-27 01:51 by dcba.

Date: January 27, 2011 01:50

"But I wouldn't say it made me their greatest fan ..."
It's because you were clean when you saw them, admit it!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 27, 2011 02:00

@ dcba

lol not necessarily!

But of course I kinda liked it.And they were very "hip" at that time.
But it just wasn't great enough to make me a big fan of theirs . .

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: January 27, 2011 09:00

Looling forward to seeing pictures of the real deluxe set
The sketck seems nice, but I'd love to see the final result

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 27, 2011 15:43

tatters

MISSED OPPORTUNITY!

They should include the Tivoli Gardens concert on DVD which was broadcast live at the time. About 100 minutes of the show cirulate on bootleg DVD in excellent quality and the whole show just begs for an official release.

Other than that, the only footage I know of from the tour is the Beat Club footage made for German TV. "One more saturday night" and "beat it on down the line" circulates, but I'm pretty sure they played more material there and it's more than likely in the archives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-27 15:46 by vudicus.

Date: January 27, 2011 15:47

There's also a show shot at the Château d'Hérouville for French TV, right?

Date: January 27, 2011 15:50

dcba
There's also a show shot at the Château d'Hérouville for French TV, right?

I think that one is from 1971 if I remember correctly

Date: January 27, 2011 15:58

Hey you're right! confused smiley

Grateful Dead
Chateau d'Herouville (a.k.a "The Honky Chateau" )
Herouville, France
June 21, 1971
Multi Camera Pro-shot

Partial Morning Dew (B&W)
Hard To Handle (Color)
China Cat Sunflower (B&W)
I Know You Rider (B&W)
Deal (Color)
Partial Black Peter (Color)
Sugar Magnolia (Color)
Sing Me Back Home (B&W)
Interviews

The group's most exotic gig in 1971 was a one-shot in France.

"We went over there to do a big festival, a free festival they were gonna have, but the festival was rained out. It flooded. We stayed at this little chateau which is owned by a film score composer who has a 16-track recording studio built into the chateau, and this is a chateau that Chopin once lived in; really old, just delightful, out in the country near the town of Auvers sure Oise, which is where Vincent Van Gogh is buried. …" Garcia said.

"We were there with nothing to do: France, a 16-track recording studio upstairs, all our gear, ready to play, and nothing to do. So, we decided to play at the chateau itself, out in the back, in the grass, with a swimming pool, just play into the hills. We didn't even play to hippies, we played to a handful of townspeople in Auvers. We played and the people came — the chief of police, the fire department, just everybody. It was an event and everybody just had a hell of a time — got drunk, fell in the pool. It was great."

--Jerry Garcia--

Some of the Grateful Dead show at Hérouville were broadcast in France by the "The Second Channel" of the ORTF (French Radio and Television Broadcasting) on the July 24, 1971 edition of the rock program "Pop 2"
A second part of the show has been broadcast in Black & White ( don't know why !) on the November 27, 1971.

Audio has been captured in Mono

The interview conducted with Jerry is really interesting but overdubbed in French.
That overlay doesn't allow English speakers to truly hear all that's being said. Of course, if you speak fluent French then you might be able to understand all that Jerry is talking about and all that the translator dude says afterwards.

Btw, if you don't speak a little French : shame on you !

The Band
-----------
Jerry Garcia - Lead Guitar, Vocals
Phil Lesh - Bass, Vocals
Bob Weir - Guitar, Vocals
Ron "Pigpen" McKernan - Keyboards, Percussion, Vocals
Bill Kreutzmann - Drums

Video:
Lineage: VHS master > Roxio VHS to DVD > iMovie'08 7.1.4 > iDVD 7.0.4 > PAL

Audio: (shnid 94356)
SBD -> Master Reel -> Dat -> CD

Transfer Info:
CD -> Samplitude Professional v10.1 -> Adobe Audition v1.5 -> FLAC
(2 Discs Audio / 2 Discs FLAC)

All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller
charliemiller87@earthlink.net
July 18, 2008

Complete Setlist for show:
d1t01 - Truckin'
d1t02 - Loser
d1t03 - Me And Bobby McGee
d1t04 - Next Time You See Me
d1t05 - Morning Dew
d1t06 - Me And My Uncle
d1t07 - Hard To Handle
d1t08 - China Cat Sunflower ->
d1t09 - I Know You Rider
d1t10 - The Promised Land
d1t11 - Deal
d2t01 - Playing In The Band
d2t02 - Big Boss Man
d2t03 - Black Peter
d2t04 - Bertha
d2t05 - Casey Jones
d2t06 - That's It For The Other One ->
d2t07 - Wharf Rat
d2t08 - Sugar Magnolia
d2t09 - Sing Me Back Home
d2t10 - Johnny B. Goode

Audio Notes:
-- Disc change is seamless
-- The intro to Truckin' is cut
-- First few notes to Me And My Uncle are cut
-- Thanks to Rob Eaton for the discs
-- Thanks to Joe B. Jones for his help with the pitch correction

Notes
- Video assets courtesy of hbtoulouse from PAL version seeded at TTD.
- SBD audio courtesy of the LossLess Legs.
- Audio synchronization by Kevin Tobin using Adobe Audition to compress/expand the audio in multitrack mode to match the original audio.
- Video patches created with Ulead VideoStudio 9 by Kevin Tobin.
- Multiplexing via TMPGEnc MPEG Editor by Kevin Tobin.
- DVD authoring via DVD Architect 4.5 by Kevin Tobin.

Audio\Video Faults:
I'm not going to begin to document the massive number of cuts that I found in this amazing video - the POP 2 editors did a fairly good job in most places where the cuts were almost seamless but when compared to the Miller soundboard, large chunks of every song were missing. Morning Dew and Black Peter were left incomplete, however missing footage between existing clips were filled in to allow for the music to flow and short lead-in or lead-out footage was added. The rest of the songs are now complete. I spent almost 40 hours matching the existing video and filler with the intent of making it as close to possible - this was after the time I spent syncing the existing video to the Miller soundboard. I enjoyed and appreciate the original footage supplied by hbtoulouse and have made these modifications with his blessing. I also put the songs in the correct order and moved the Jerry interviews to a seperate section. I only hope you enjoy this as much as I do as it doesn't really get much better than this.

This is the un-encoded PAL version.
[www.thetradersden.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-27 15:59 by dcba.

Date: January 27, 2011 15:59

[www.youtube.com]

This guy has uploaded all the cirulating footage from the Tivoli Gardens concert on you tube. If you want to watch the clips in the correct order, see below.

Me & Bobby Mcgee
Chinatown Shuffle
China Cat Sunflower / I Know You Rider
Jack Straw
He's Gone
Next Time You See Me
One More Saturday Night
It Hurts Me Too
Ramble On Rose
El Paso
Big Railroad Blues
Truckin'

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 27, 2011 17:23

vudicus
tatters

MISSED OPPORTUNITY!

They should include the Tivoli Gardens concert on DVD which was broadcast live at the time. About 100 minutes of the show cirulate on bootleg DVD in excellent quality and the whole show just begs for an official release.

Other than that, the only footage I know of from the tour is the Beat Club footage made for German TV. "One more saturday night" and "beat it on down the line" circulates, but I'm pretty sure they played more material there and it's more than likely in the archives.

I won't be satisfied until every note of recorded music that's ever been played by anyone is available for purchase. And I want it all on DVD, too!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 11, 2011 01:52

Good news, I put in a preorder for the Music only edition and I just got notice there were some extra of the numbered box set and they let me order!! YAY! Looks amazing!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1574
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home