Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Johnny Marr & Ronnie Wood
Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: February 28, 2013 10:59

I apologize if it has already been posted

Re: Johnny Marr & Ronnie Wood
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 28, 2013 12:26

Bet Johnny Marr was like a cat who got the milk that night. The Stones are one of his favourite bands.

Date: February 28, 2013 12:31

Great stuff! Always good to see two of your favourites playing together thumbs up

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: February 28, 2013 13:18

Stone601

I couldn't agree more.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: February 28, 2013 14:48

VT22
Stone601

I couldn't agree more.

mee too

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: February 28, 2013 15:45

YES!!!!!

Date: February 28, 2013 15:50

Woody actually adds some nice color to this song with his licks!

Date: February 28, 2013 15:53

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 1, 2013 07:18

No need to apologize. It was so cool it had to posted twice!

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 1, 2013 20:07

I don't mean any disrespect but what so great about Johnny Marr? I am listening to a compilation the Smiths right now and I don't really understand the excitment. Someone can explain it to me? Thankx
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 1, 2013 21:28

Yes, you should apologize! smoking smiley

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 2, 2013 01:24

pretty cool

and a fav of mine, Love Spit Love (aka Psychedelic Furs) covering this:

Date: March 2, 2013 02:47

rollmops
I don't mean any disrespect but what so great about Johnny Marr? I am listening to a compilation the Smiths right now and I don't really understand the excitment. Someone can explain it to me? Thankx
Rock and roll,
Mops

It's a valid question. I think he stood out in the 80s because the world was full of over the top Eddie van Halen wannabees and Eddie Van Halen himself. Having said that, I don't think he began to be appreciated as a guitarist until well after The Smiths disbanded around 1988.

His style is a bit derivative, but so is all of Rock and Roll. Consider this fact about The Smiths "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out":
The song features an ascending F#m–A–B chord sequence that guitarist Johnny Marr took from The Rolling Stones cover of Marvin Gaye's "Hitch Hike". Marr said in 1993 that he included the figure as an "in-joke" to determine if the music press would attribute the inspiration for the part to "There She Goes Again" by The Velvet Underground, whom he contended "stole" the figure from "Hitch Hike". Marr commented, "I knew I was smarter than that. I was listening to what The Velvet Underground were listening to". (wikipedia)

Anyway, to my ears he combines what I like about Pete Townshend, Keith Richards, Buddy Holly and a few others. Just great rhythm playing with just the right amount of extras thrown in. No flash. Just substance. A throwback to earlier times and an melodic genius.

For example:

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-02 02:56 by punkfloyd.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 2, 2013 04:47

punkfloyd
rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops

It's a valid question. I think he stood out in the 80s because the world was full of over the top Eddie van Halen wannabees and Eddie Van Halen himself. Having said that, I don't think he began to be appreciated as a guitarist until well after The Smiths disbanded around 1988.

His style is a bit derivative, but so is all of Rock and Roll. Consider this fact about The Smiths "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out":
The song features an ascending F#m–A–B chord sequence that guitarist Johnny Marr took from The Rolling Stones cover of Marvin Gaye's "Hitch Hike". Marr said in 1993 that he included the figure as an "in-joke" to determine if the music press would attribute the inspiration for the part to "There She Goes Again" by The Velvet Underground, whom he contended "stole" the figure from "Hitch Hike". Marr commented, "I knew I was smarter than that. I was listening to what The Velvet Underground were listening to". (wikipedia)

Anyway, to my ears he combines what I like about Pete Townshend, Keith Richards, Buddy Holly and a few others. Just great rhythm playing with just the right amount of extras thrown in. No flash. Just substance. A throwback to earlier times and an melodic genius.

For example:

Thank you, PunkFloyd. I'll take the time to listen to the clips you posted. I am a guitar player myself and I love Ronnie Wood so I pay attention to what he says about other players.
rock and roll,
mops

Date: March 2, 2013 05:13

Happy to share mops.

In 1988 Marr spent some time with Keith Richards. According to Marr, "That was a fantastic experience because I was so young (24), and he was so gracious and encouraging and quite philosophical, too. That was a very private and quite intense period of about a week. It was an incredibly generous thing that he did, because for 30 years he's had skinny little guitar players wanting to hang out with him, but he made a point of wanting to hang out with me. That was just after The Smiths [broke up], in '88. I met him through [the late, great singer] Kirsty MacColl and [producer] Steve Lillywhite"

I also read/heard somewhere that Marr wanted the song The Queen is Dead to recall the power of Jumping Jack Flash. In 1986, The Smiths were coming out of a turbulent period, not unlike The Stones diversion around Satanic Majesties. Source

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-02 05:14 by punkfloyd.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 2, 2013 13:22

Stone601

Love this, isn't it heavy? Wasn't Johnny on Ronnie's radio show?

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: June 4, 2013 12:05

Here's a proshot clip.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: June 4, 2013 12:38

And the audio for those want it:

[www.wetransfer.com]

www.rsundercover.eu

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 848
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home