Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Great way to save youtube clips
Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: January 17, 2011 16:44

I thought I would share this information with everyone here. Maybe it will help someone. I recently discovered a great free application called "Streamclip" that saves high-quality clips from Youtube to your desktop. I searched for ages, trying to find the best free software for this, and "Streamclip" is miles ahead of the rest IMO. It is very fast, the clips are high quality, and there is a tremendous range of technical options (eg: file format, audio compression). Link is here-

[www.squared5.com]

"Streamclip" has an option to paste a URL from a website. So I copy the Youtube clip URL into that field, and output the video to AVI format. I ask for the video to be "100% full quality" and the sound to be "uncompressed". It works in under 1 minute for most clips, and the results are incredible. These AVI files are compatible with Final Cut Pro, so you can edit them or make huge compilations of your favourite music clips. I then export from Final Cut Pro to "iDVD" and make my own music DVDs. Heaps of fun! So far I have made great compilations featuring Small Faces, Taj Mahal, Stones, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Bachmann Turner Overdrive, Screaming Jay Hawkins, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-17 16:45 by bolexman.

Re: OT: Great way to save youtube clips
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 17, 2011 18:04

[keepvid.com]
[www.downloadvanyoutube.nl]

do the trick as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-17 18:12 by Amsterdamned.

Date: January 17, 2011 18:38

Cool, I'll check it out! I've had some spare time lat couple of days and have been making great comps of rare video clips, you never know when they'll disappear from the net...

Date: January 17, 2011 19:02

Hi, Bolexman & Amsterdamned!
So great - I was thinking about/ lookin' for somethin exactly along these lines... Thanks, Bolexman, for bringing it up; and thanx, Amsterdamned, for elaborating.
'A', I think the "downloadvanyoutube.nl" is in Dutch!? Might come in handy for me, because I'm (a) a bit of a PC-dummy and (b) a native Dutch/ Flemish-speaker.

Any other advices concerning these 3 (or more?) applications (both of) you might give me, that would fit my (ahum) 'profile'??...

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Date: January 17, 2011 19:07

If you have software for editing home movies, once you save the files from Youtube try to import the files into your editing software. By doing this, you can make a big video file (from lots of different clips) and copy it to DVD. The video clips are very watchable on a TV screen. You'll be pleasantly surprised!

Posted by: maarisathena ()
Date: January 21, 2011 09:01

Hey, bolexman! This is great. Thanks so much. I downloaded it and it works great--so many options (I'm still learning).

So good of you to share!

Best!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 21, 2011 09:12

Anyone know how to burn saved You Tube clips to DVD?

Date: January 21, 2011 09:25

Silver Dagger
Anyone know how to burn saved You Tube clips to DVD?

If you use a Mac:
Save your clips as .Mov,import them to I-movie HD, and ready you are.

Date: January 21, 2011 09:46

Thats great people here are saving the clips for the first time. By the way, Amsterdamned's advice on making the DVD sounds like a good way to do it. I have been doing it a different way that took much more time:
-saved as AVI file
-imported into Final Cut Pro
-adjusted the sound levels and visuals to my liking
-rendered everything
-export as a Qtime file, for use in iDVD (dvd maker).

The other way probably saves time. One big tip for everyone: When I save a Youtube file with the "Streamclip" application, I export it at 100% and sound as "uncompressed". This always got the best result. But "Streamclip" has so many options it is always worth experimenting.

Date: January 21, 2011 09:55

bolexman
Thats great people here are saving the clips for the first time. By the way, Amsterdamned's advice on making the DVD sounds like a good way to do it. I have been doing it a different way that took much more time:
-saved as AVI file
-imported into Final Cut Pro
-adjusted the sound levels and visuals to my liking
-rendered everything
-export as a Qtime file, for use in iDVD (dvd maker).

The other way probably saves time. One big tip for everyone: When I save a Youtube file with the "Streamclip" application, I export it at 100% and sound as "uncompressed". This always got the best result. But "Streamclip" has so many options it is always worth experimenting.

Right, your extended fine tuning is the creative part of the job.
Not everybody can or spends his money on final cut pro though.

Date: January 21, 2011 10:38

True, Final Cut is quite expensive. If someone is really keen to get it I recommend "Final Cut Express" the cheaper version: it really has all you need. It has less features, but you honestly don't really need them. Apple let you update from Final Cut Express, to full Final Cut Pro, for a sum of money... But I don't know anyone who has done that yet! Most are happy with Express. It really is an amazing software. But there's plenty other editing softwares, yes, all you need is something that works. smiling smiley I have enjoyed making my Youtube dvds

Date: January 21, 2011 11:51

I have a PC not a Mac Amsterdamned. I've assembled a good collection of clips from You Tube - maybe about 30 Stones songs and interviews. I want to compile them all on a DVD so how do I do that on a PC?

Date: January 21, 2011 12:19

Hi SilverDagger, I don't have a PC but I'm sure all you need to do is find two things:
-software for editing video file.
-software for burning DVD.

This might sound obvious but best to approach it this way. Software for editing videos should be easy to find, because many people want them for making DVDs of their home movies. Think of your saved Youtube video as a home movie. The steps are to import the video into the editing software, tidy it up, and then export it as a big video file for a DVD maker... For example, PC software such as "Magix Movie Edit Pro" is a cheap program, starts around $30. Best to google for more on that topic. Importantly, read the tech specs of the software before you buy it, and make sure it can use AVI files or MOV files. Best wishes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-21 12:21 by bolexman.

Date: January 21, 2011 12:27

Free shareware PC video editing software exists.
I have not used them, but maybe the links are helpful?

Free software:

"VirtualDub for Windows" (supports AVI format)
[www.suite101.com]

"Avidemux" (supports AVI format)
[www.suite101.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-21 14:05 by bolexman.

Date: January 21, 2011 13:27

bolexman
Hi SilverDagger, I don't have a PC but I'm sure all you need to do is find two things:
-software for editing video file.
-software for burning DVD.

This might sound obvious but best to approach it this way. Software for editing videos should be easy to find, because many people want them for making DVDs of their home movies. Think of your saved Youtube video as a home movie. The steps are to import the video into the editing software, tidy it up, and then export it as a big video file for a DVD maker... For example, PC software such as "Magix Movie Edit Pro" is a cheap program, starts around $30. Best to google for more on that topic. Importantly, read the tech specs of the software before you buy it, and make sure it can use AVI files or MOV files. Best wishes!

Many thanks. Was hoping there might be some free software out there. I have a Nero burning programme so will see what that will let me do.

Date: January 21, 2011 18:19

Silver Dagger
I have a PC not a Mac Amsterdamned. I've assembled a good collection of clips from You Tube - maybe about 30 Stones songs and interviews. I want to compile them all on a DVD so how do I do that on a PC?

My last experience with a windows computer was in 1999,so I cannot help you with that.
I see good reactions from bolexman here, so you will cope.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-21 18:20 by Amsterdamned.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1719
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home