Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Just reviews of Taylor's performances on songs in 2013
Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: May 22, 2013 15:02

First, thank you to whomever is taping and posting on Dime and You Tube. Now to the reviews.

Midnight Rambler from each show has highlights but it can get boring hearing the song over and over in the same fashion although MT plays it different each time it seems. It's like listening to the 69 Ya Yas, 71 Leeds, 73 Brussels. Each one got a little better.

Sway- I think MT could have practiced a little more. Ronnie did a nice slide fill, but MT's solo riding the end of the song was cut off by Jagger. I didn't like that. MT would have went a few more measures and then it could have ended like in the studio version.

CYHMK- Wow. Everyone was good. I think Sir Mick should leave the stage as he doesn't know how to react in the video of the 3 minute solo.

Satisfaction- hey, it's Keith's song but would like to see Taylor do some of those fills he did like on the 69 tour.

Ok- review over now requests.

There are 3 guitarists on IORR- the same 3 on stage for this tour. Why not let them all play on this song. Put Ronnie on 12 string acoustic, put Mick on the counter rhythm playing off Keith's Chuck Berry rhythm/lead. It would sound great.

If any other 69-74 era songs (studio or famously live)are played (TD, BS, Wild Horses, ADTL, Happy, Gimme Shelter, YCAGWYW) where MT shined live, then he should start being added to the stage to play with the boys.

As many have stated before, the songs have room to breathe and I do not believe in the old 3 guitars are too much statements.

Re: Just reviews of Taylor's performances on songs in 2013
Date: May 22, 2013 15:18

<There are 3 guitarists on IORR>

I think only Keith and Ronnie played guitar on it. Taylor is singing, though:

Drums: Kenny Jones
Bass: Willie Weeks
12-string acoustic guitar: Ron Wood
Electric guitars: Keith Richards
Lead vocals: Mick Jagger
Backing vocals: Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood & Mick Taylor
Piano: Ian Stewart

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: SundanceKid ()
Date: May 22, 2013 17:23

L.A. Weekly review
Staples Center, Los Angeles - 20 May 2013

[blogs.laweekly.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 22, 2013 17:49

SundanceKid
L.A. Weekly review

[blogs.laweekly.com]

Nailed it.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: May 22, 2013 18:59

SundanceKid
L.A. Weekly review

[blogs.laweekly.com]

perfect ! thanks for posting . a great read .

Posted by: howled ()
Date: May 22, 2013 19:22

Just shows IMO, what went missing in the Stones after Sticky Fingers.

Sticky Fingers is probably the last great Stones album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-22 19:22 by howled.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 22, 2013 19:30

DandelionPowderman

Ahem....

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 22, 2013 21:07

bigmac7895

CYHMK- Wow. Everyone was good. I think Sir Mick should leave the stage as he doesn't know how to react in the video of the 3 minute solo.

Give the man a chance - he hasn't had much practice with three minute solos lately, and it's OK for all those guitarists standing relatively still playing for three minutes while Mick has to dance... The other guitars aren't the only people who need time to adapt to new circumstances.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: May 22, 2013 21:56

I thought Mick's goofing around during the solo was great. Definitely looked like he was teasing Ronnie and Keith, imploring them to to kick it up a notch. When's the last time he got in Keith's face like that during a show? The whole thing was great.

Date: May 23, 2013 04:05

Hold on here... Taylor didn't play on IORR? I don't think Keith played all the electrics and acoustics. The 12 string of Ronnie's stayed for sure.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 23, 2013 06:03

bigmac7895
Hold on here... Taylor didn't play on IORR? I don't think Keith played all the electrics and acoustics. The 12 string of Ronnie's stayed for sure.

I think Keith wiped nearly all the guitars on the demo and did overdubs. I don't think Taylor is on guitar on that track. Taylor also missed some early IORR sessions due to "personal" problems.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 23, 2013 07:25

71Tele
bigmac7895

I think Keith wiped nearly all the guitars on the demo and did overdubs. I don't think Taylor is on guitar on that track. Taylor also missed some early IORR sessions due to "personal" problems.

Absolutely. The only omission is Bowie on vox. The record is basically the demo, with Keith's hands on it....Bowie was present, it is said he sang, doubt he just stood around, so..........It would be interesting to hear the MT leads. I dig the studio versions disjointed, rhythmic feel. Especially the demo quality of Kenny Jones, "feeling out" the beat in the intro and first verse.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 23, 2013 08:53

A great moment for sure.

Is wasn't pretty,but it was beautiful!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 23, 2013 09:07

Green Lady
bigmac7895

Give the man a chance - he hasn't had much practice with three minute solos lately, and it's OK for all those guitarists standing relatively still playing for three minutes while Mick has to dance... The other guitars aren't the only people who need time to adapt to new circumstances.

I think it's great Mick being there during the solo, encouraging the band and the crowd. Plus we got to see a moment of genuinely positive interaction between Mick and Keith--which Mick himself brought about--and this is the first video evidence we have seen thus far on this tour of their "strong working relationship". Those 8 minutes plus add up to one of their finest, most memorbale moments onstage in decades. Can't wait to see them in Boston in June. I'm attending the second show, so it will probably be Mick T as the "special guest" playing on a few extra numbers.

Date: May 23, 2013 14:16

I have heard the story of Keith wiping all the guitars except Ronnie's 12 string, but the rhythm guitar that plays under the main riff after the intro sounds like the sound of the guitar MT uses in Shake Your Hips. Not many chords or notes, just counter rhythm.

I'll take your words but it doesn't sound like Keith's playing. Listen to the studio version. Maybe Keith did do all 3 of the electric parts and weaved with himself overdubbing.

Date: May 23, 2013 14:22

bigmac7895

He didn't, but Keith kept Ronnie's 12 string acoustic. Here's a statement from Ronnie:

- I ended up with just my acoustic guitar that I laid originally. Keith replaced - RIGHTLY SO - the guitars that I'd done electrically.

- Ron Wood, 1982

[timeisonourside.com]

PS: The rhythm guitar is really classic Keith doing a chopped off Berry-boogie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-23 14:24 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 23, 2013 18:29

DandelionPowderman
bigmac7895

He didn't, but Keith kept Ronnie's 12 string acoustic. Here's a statement from Ronnie:

- I ended up with just my acoustic guitar that I laid originally. Keith replaced - RIGHTLY SO - the guitars that I'd done electrically.

- Ron Wood, 1982

[timeisonourside.com]

PS: The rhythm guitar is really classic Keith doing a chopped off Berry-boogie.

In my opinion, it's kind of underrated as some nice studio work......tension and release....etc.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 23, 2013 21:50

DandelionPowderman
<There are 3 guitarists on IORR>

I think only Keith and Ronnie played guitar on it. Taylor is singing, though:

Drums: Kenny Jones
Bass: Willie Weeks
12-string acoustic guitar: Ron Wood
Electric guitars: Keith Richards
Lead vocals: Mick Jagger
Piano: Ian Stewart

[timeisonourside.com]

Lead guitar(s) - several. That's why Keith wanted Taylor to join them, to play the additional guitar part.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1747
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home