Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Angelina Jolie
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 15, 2013 02:01

Since she does have a Stones connection, I decided not to make this one off topic.

Angelina Jolie wrote an op ed in The New York Times today to announce that she underwent a preventive double mastectomy. Her doctors told her that since she carries the BRCA1 gene, she had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer. So she decided to be proactive and undergo the surgery.

I think it was very brave of her both to make the decision she did and to go public with it. To be serious for once, ladies I hope you are all diligent about your health and do those annual exams, and guys, please encourage the women in your life to do the same.

Here is the link to Jolie's article:

[www.nytimes.com]

Re: Angelina Jolie
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 15, 2013 02:47

It was brave and probably a good idea for her, but the clinical nature of your thread has puzzled a lot of us...I'm only speaking up because the group vote went badly for me...

My wife was checked out!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 15, 2013 02:49

latebloomer
Since she does have a Stones connection, I decided not to make this one off topic.

Angelina Jolie wrote an op ed in The New York Times today to announce that she underwent a preventive double mastectomy. Her doctors told her that since she carries the BRCA1 gene, she had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer. So she decided to be proactive and undergo the surgery.

I think it was very brave of her both to make the decision she did and to go public with it. To be serious for once, ladies I hope you are all diligent about your health and do those annual exams, and guys, please encourage the women in your life to do the same.

[www.nytimes.com]

Thanks LB, a very worthy topic.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: May 15, 2013 03:03

Thank you for the thoughtful post. I'll respond:

My wife goes annually, no matter how painful the test.

Date: May 15, 2013 03:05

Max'sKansasCity
latebloomer

[www.nytimes.com]

Thanks LB, a very worthy topic.

Oh sure...now you post...

Date: May 15, 2013 03:10

Munichhilton
It was brave and probably a good idea for her, but the clinical nature of your thread has puzzled a lot of us...I'm only speaking up because the group vote went badly for me...

My wife was checked out!

Lucky for you she doesn't check out on you...

Date: May 15, 2013 03:11

latebloomer
Munichhilton

My wife was checked out!

Lucky for you she doesn't check out on you...

Damn straight. I'd likely be right behind...but seriously LB, Wood or Taylor?

Date: May 15, 2013 03:12

Munichhilton

My wife was checked out!

Lucky for you she doesn't check out on you Munich...

Thank you Max...and yeah, nightskyman, they have to invent something less painful..ouch!!

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: May 15, 2013 03:14

latebloomer,post this crap on e entertainment,not here.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 15, 2013 03:21

latebloomer
Munichhilton

My wife was checked out!

Lucky for you she doesn't check out on you Munich...

Thank you Max...and yeah, nightskyman, they have to invent something less painful..ouch!!

I am glad you are taking care of yourself LB too...
and offering good advice to others.... you are THE BEST!

Date: May 15, 2013 03:23

backstreetboy1

Who are you to tell anyone what they can or cannot post here?

But, then I'm sure you love all the wonderful e entertainment stuff about Katie Perry.

Didn't notice you complaining about that.

To quote the immortal words of stonesrule, you owe me an apology. Until then, piss off.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 15, 2013 03:55

latebloomer

I couldn't agree more. It is really important for high-profile people to bring awareness to these issues. I thank Angelina for this. And I'm very glad - and amazed - that this didn't leak out before she went public. I'm glad she had the privacy she deserved when she went through this difficult decision and surgery. As one who was "caught early" I can attest to the importance of prevention. We aren't too young for this stuff anymore people - get checked out!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 03:56 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 15, 2013 04:06

With no National Health Service in USA, and many other countries for that matter, how are those at high risk, but on low incomes supposed to get such an operation?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 15, 2013 04:19

Kristi FUNK ....wow!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 15, 2013 04:55

I think I'm going to chop off my feet because I may someday step on a nail and get tetanus.

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: May 15, 2013 08:48

What was that about? Her Mum had breast cancer and so Angelina was 87% likely to get it too, is that correct?
What if she was the 13% that didn't get breast cancer?
I don't know-I think I would have waited. Maybe she would have got lucky.
Now she'll never know.
I mean, breast cancer is all over my immediate family and so far I've been lucky.
I'm 61, by the way.
Did she have them take the ovaries too?
I don't know, no offense to Miss Jolie, it's her choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 08:55 by WindyHorses.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 15, 2013 09:06

WindyHorses
What was that about? Her Mum had breast cancer and so Angelina was 87% likely to get it too, is that correct?
Now she'll never know.
I mean, breast cancer is all over my immediate family and so far I've been lucky.
I'm 61, by the way.

Very personal decision, she lost her own mother, and has 6 kids so I understand the rationale. Plus, now her breasts will never sag.

Actually, seems like the way to go!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 15, 2013 10:20

WindyHorses
Now she'll never know.
I'm 61, by the way.

No, she was 87% likely to get it because she had the genetic marker that indicated that, and preferred not to take the risk. The mastectomies now are a lot better than the treatments for breast cancer down the road.

You're right, it's a personal choice, and one I think she was very brave to make.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 15, 2013 10:24

His Majesty
With no National Health Service in USA, and many other countries for that matter, how are those at high risk, but on low incomes supposed to get such an operation?
thru a county facility. They will perform the necessary procedures. They will bill you and if you don't pay it will affect your credit, but that's all.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: May 15, 2013 10:25

my mom's a breast cancer survivor and I've already lived way past the final ages of my dad & grandfather, who died of brain cancer & colon cancer. I've got the genes in spades. Should I cut everything off? sad smiley

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: May 15, 2013 10:36

latebloomer
backstreetboy1

Who are you to tell anyone what they can or cannot post here?

But, then I'm sure you love all the wonderful e entertainment stuff about Katie Perry.

Didn't notice you complaining about that.

To quote the immortal words of stonesrule, you owe me an apology. Until then, piss off.

thumbs up Ms LB

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: May 15, 2013 10:43

DoomandGloom
I think I'm going to chop off my feet because I may someday step on a nail and get tetanus.

This one is nominated now for the IORR award for the most ignorant and idiotic post of the year.

I would even pity you, D&G, but unfortunately I lack all sympathy to do so.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 15, 2013 11:47

For anyone thinking Angelina is now pitifully mutilated, it is not the case. Following this type of operation, breasts are reconstructed with implants, and the results are beautiful. (My friend had this.)

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: May 15, 2013 12:54

DoomandGloom

Obviously that's just a stupid thing to say, but I'll at least respond with something you might learn from rather than just saying what a twat you are...

Jolie has an abnormal BRCA gene which means the risk of both Breast and Ovarian cancer are greatly increased - particularly if there's a family history of cancer. She made the incredibly tough decision to have that operation which deserves nothing but respect in my opinion.

As an aside, the NHS in the UK do everything they can to dissuade people from pre-emptive surgery of this nature. Someone I know was one of the few who did manage to get this done recently and they actually found pre-cancerous cells in the biopsy. So the operation may well have saved her life.

A close friend of mine opted not to have the operation and she sadly died last year after having contracted ovarian cancer (which as I said, is one of the cancers you're more likely to get with a deficient gene).

Not saying, of course that all women who think they 'might' get breast cancer should have their breasts chopped off. But hopefully Jolie's decision will not be used as a scare tactic but rather raise awareness of the need for women - AND men for that matter to get checked regularly and be better informed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 13:01 by Roll73.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: May 15, 2013 13:31

In the USA - still the richest country in the world (bar Switzerland, possibly) - what she's done is brave and worthy but how are people to afford it?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 15, 2013 16:05

I respect her decision, though I don't think much of her as an actress or understand what Brad saw/sees in her when he had Jennifer Aniston, but that's his choice as well. In regards to this, though, I must say, I think I would have waited. There are far more healthy choices, and just because one is pre-disposed to get something doesn't necessarily mean that one will.

Not to turn this into a political thread, but I do firmly believe that the drug companies here in the US are part of the controlling element really running the country. The FDA allows for soooo much Sh!t in our food/drink that is banned in other parts of the world, it's disgusting. And I think a lot of it is so that the drug companies can make a fortune in the treatments. We'll never see a cure for cancer even though it exists because it'd put the drug companies out of business. There are such better ways - proven ways - to treat cancer. Essiac tea for example, but try and grow essiac - a PERFECTLY LEGAL herb root, and the gov't and police will be down on you faster'n if you were growing 100's of acres of marijuana. The drug companies do not want the people to have access to such cheap and less lethal treatment measures. Chemotherapy is NOT good for a person, but yet it is still touted as the best defense for cancer. I just don't get it. There is sooo much that is @ss-backwards about this country. One can get better cancer treatment just south of the border in Mexico than what we allow here in the US. Go figure.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 15, 2013 16:12

latebloomer

you're treading on thin ice. watch it.

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: May 15, 2013 17:16

Ok, I am totally ignorant- what is the Stones "connection"?
I am sorry I am not up on Angelina/celebrity gossip.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 15, 2013 17:22

WindyHorses
Check the Anybody seen my baby video. Guess who is the baby!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 15, 2013 19:06

windmelody
WindyHorses
Check the Anybody seen my baby video. Guess who is the baby!
That's her in the default screen shot for the video below:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 19:08 by Title5Take1.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1562
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home