Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best version of SFTD: Rock & Roll Circus
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 12, 2013 09:44

Hands down, this is my absolute favorite version of this. I don't actually think many of the songs they do nowadays sound that bad, but Sympathy seems like one thats always been hard for them to actually play well. It always comes out sounding pretty bland to me, or just plain bad, and never comparing with the strong studio track.

However, they friggen nail it with the Rock And Roll Circus performance. Mick Jagger at the top of his game relatively early in their career, blistering guitars from Keith Richards with a tone that sounds outstanding, and very true to the original recording. Its elongated but doesn't drag, and truly shows them expanding successfully from the studio track without making the song sound less powerful than it actually is (which IMO the versions 90s and on mostly have). One of my favorite Stones songs and this performance never gets old to me. Easily beats Ya Yas for me. And to think it was done at probably 1 or 2 AM and they have this much energy.

Anyone else think this is the best version by a country mile? Is it just me? IMO, this performance which is luckily on video, is one of the definitive Rolling Stones performances. If people were to ask me "who are the Rolling Stones", this is one of the top 3 clips that would pop into my head. Just perfection that everyone should revisit if you haven't recently.

[lockerz.com]

Re: Best version of SFTD: Rock & Roll Circus
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 12, 2013 10:22

My two faves are the GYYYO and LYL ones. It's true that since 89 it never gets all it deserves. It's good versions and they have their merit, but I think it's a mistake to try to remake the studio version on stage. Listen to the Stockholm club gig 2003 version. When Keith restarts it, THAT'S how they should do it. He plays like a slow version of the 69 riff.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 12, 2013 16:16

My favorite is from GYYYO but the Circus version is a close second and MJ's performance is stunning at the circus. I have no idea why the Stones thought they were subpar at the circus I like all of the songs they did on that.

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: May 13, 2013 01:32

GYYO. Not even close. The SFTD solos between KR and then MT is generally considered one the best exchanges of solos in Rock History. Frankly one of the highlights of live music.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 13, 2013 01:39

I agree. But I love all the 1969 tour versions as well too.

Rock n roll circus is just Godly cool. Never to be repeated live.

Sad they can't play it like that again.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 13, 2013 01:51

Mick is amazing at the R&R Circus, but Keith's soloing is a bit iffy... and Brian is too rhythmically unsteady with the maracas. grinning smiley

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: May 13, 2013 03:25

GYYYO is the pinnacle, greatest version of all time where it sounded dangerous and rebellious while they were still top innovators. I also like LYL with Ronnie.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 13, 2013 03:32

duffydawg
GYYO. Not even close. The SFTD solos between KR and then MT is generally considered one the best exchanges of solos in Rock History. Frankly one of the highlights of live music.

Hell yes. Couldn't agree more.

That being said, the RnR Circus version is pretty damn cool and a highlight from the Brian era.

Date: May 13, 2013 05:07

sanQ
GYYYO is the pinnacle, greatest version of all time where it sounded dangerous and rebellious while they were still top innovators.

That'd be the studio version. cool smiley

Posted by: Beast of Babylon ()
Date: May 13, 2013 06:50

AC 89 and Vegas 99

Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: May 13, 2013 14:13

This is the one version of Sympathy live where Brian still plays with them.
It is unique for this reason!

Date: May 13, 2013 14:16

Best version is the original studio version, imo. R&R Circus is pretty true to the original, and it's very good, too. So is both the Ya Yas-version and the LYL-version.

Date: May 13, 2013 14:30

Christopher
This is the one version of Sympathy live where Brian still plays with them.
It is unique for this reason!

Well, he is there, but not sure I'd say he's really playing with them.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 13, 2013 14:50

2013, for Keith solo.

smileys with beer

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: May 13, 2013 14:53

His Majesty
sanQ
GYYYO is the pinnacle, greatest version of all time where it sounded dangerous and rebellious while they were still top innovators.

NO. Its the YaYa's version. cool smiley

Date: May 13, 2013 14:58

VT22
His Majesty
sanQ

It's not even the complete song and you only really like it because of Taylor's guitar solo.

Date: May 13, 2013 15:01

His Majesty
VT22
His Majesty
sanQ

It's not even the complete song and you only really like it because of Taylor's guitar solo.

I like it because it is not the complete song, and the band is on fire, and indeed, that includes top noodler Taylor.

Date: May 13, 2013 15:06

It's good, but Taylors boring strumming of chords doesn't match the aceness of the piano on the studio version, Micks vocal is perfect on the studio version and the sound and feel of the soloing on the studio version is pretty unique and cool as @#$%&!

Date: May 13, 2013 15:10

His Majesty
It's good, but Taylors boring strumming of chords doesn't match the aceness of the piano on the studio version, Micks vocal is perfect on the studio version and the sound and feel of the soloing on the studio version is pretty unique and cool as @#$%&!

That is true. It's a good version, though, albeit incomplete.

Keith's riffing makes up for the standard chord-rhythm in places, imo.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 13, 2013 15:14

I saw a great version played at the last night of the 6 Earl's Court shows in 76. The only night the did an encore, as far as I can remember. And I believe it was the first time they'd played it live since 1970?

Date: May 13, 2013 15:14

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

If Taylor's strumming wasn't good enough for Keith, he would have wiped it.
He's not dumb though, Taylor's strumming is very delicate and effective.

Date: May 13, 2013 15:17

VT22
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

If Taylor's strumming wasn't good enough for Keith, he would have wiped it.
He's not dumb though, Taylor's strumming is very delicate and effective.

Ok.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 13, 2013 15:20

Here's the complete song and best version of SFTD ever. Enjoy His M:

Date: May 13, 2013 15:24

Even complete it's still not as good as the studio version.

Date: May 13, 2013 15:27

Topping the studio version is impossible...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 13, 2013 15:31

Silver Dagger
I saw a great version played at the last night of the 6 Earl's Court shows in 76. The only night the did an encore, as far as I can remember. And I believe it was the first time they'd played it live since 1970?

They did SFTD as an encore on 4 of the 6 London shows. They also did it in Newcastle 1971 and 10 times in 1975.

My favourite version is the GYYYO one, as well as some other 1969 versions. I like them better than the official studio version. Worked terrific in LA 1975 also....not so well in NYC 1975.

Date: May 13, 2013 15:43

Erik_Snow
Silver Dagger

They did SFTD as an encore on 4 of the 6 London shows. They also did it in Newcastle 1971 and 10 times in 1975.

My favourite version is the GYYYO one, as well as some other 1969 versions. I like them better than the official studio version. Worked terrific in LA 1975 also....not so well in NYC 1975.

The version with Clapton? That one was bloody awful!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 13, 2013 15:49

Erik_Snow
Silver Dagger

Thanks for this correction Erik.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 13, 2013 15:53

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
Silver Dagger

The version with Clapton? That one was bloody awful!

That's the first of the 5 NYC versions, it became slightly better later in NYC, tho' not as good as in LA.

Not so strange that the first version was a trainwreck....they hadn't played it in 4 years, and one get the impression they had difficulties hearing oneanother on stage on that first NYC show, especially on the encore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-13 15:54 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 13, 2013 15:56

Vegas 2013 smoking smiley !

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1731
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home