Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What have The Stones got to gain by anew tour
Posted by: Highwire.uk ()
Date: January 14, 2011 01:30

If the boys get toghether to have talks re a tour is this the question they may ask.
The + side
If it sells well lots more cash in there banks.
The - side If it flops the last 50 years may be forgotten.

I think they could make it the best yet but they would have to work bloody hard.
Lots of rehersals.
Play more places that would suit them as they are today maybe Royal Albert Hall
for 6 nights with nights of beetween shows.
Maybe a few very large shows based on hits only.
And most importantly get the sound right,that means get Bill Wyman back on Bass
and then they may have a chance to sound like The Rolling Stones.
They need to get away from a Vegas show band sound.
Slow it down get more feel into the vocals,get rid of the bloody light show lets have spot lights onto a dark stage.
BRING BACK THE 3 HEADED MIKE.

Re: What have The Stones got to gain by anew tour
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 14, 2011 01:34

They will not do anything we want them to do. They will do what they want to do, and that will happen to coincide with the biggest payday they can manage for what will almost certainly be their last major tour.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 14, 2011 01:36

I really doubt '50 years may be forgotten' if a tour flops, somehow....

The definition of a 'flop' is pretty relative - just a matter of judging the market right.

I seriously doubt for example that any Stones tour aimed exclusively at arenas and with an top ticket price of, say, $100/£65 would be anything but a roaring success, anywhere and any year, recession or not.

Say, 80 shows at arenas averaging 15,000 people at $90 an average ticket price. Total gross from ticket sales alone - $108 million.

Over $1.25 million gross per show. Anyone - the Stones included - who would deem that a 'flop' needs their head examined.

As for this Bill Wyman argument.....'he doesnt fly' and he's moved on. Why cant people get this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-14 01:38 by Gazza.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 14, 2011 01:38

Why would it negate the last 50 years if it flops? That's ridiculous. Aside from what a few diehards would love to hear set list wise, it really doesn't matter what they do - people will go.

In the end, however, it's all and only about the money. The only that concerns the music is it's what they do - to make all the money possible.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 14, 2011 02:14

How about ending on a positive note and going out in a blaze of glory.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 14, 2011 02:43

They could give themselves an easier time lessening the traveling and do a series of nights at Albert Hall and Madison Square Garden, maybe somewhere in South America too.

Yet another massive world tour just seems so pointless, especially without a new album.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 14, 2011 02:46

Midnight Toker
How about ending on a positive note and going out in a blaze of glory.

ah, but it ain't 1973 anymore....

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 14, 2011 06:54

They have nothing to gain beyond a payday that I suspect none of them NEED. At their age, they can't enhance their legacy, and they can't diminish it. They've done all they can reasonably be expected to have done. Say g'night and go home.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: January 14, 2011 09:38

the guy who makes these decisions knows what he's doing,stop worrying about it.you'll find out soon enough.

Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: January 14, 2011 16:19

Was thinking about this driving in to work this AM listening to Handsome Girls boot. How about "Happy" as a tour opener w/ Keith & Mick sharing vocs. That would get things off to an interesting start. As stated previously, would love to hear Keith play some piano as well..

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 14, 2011 17:51

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$miles on their faces, that's what they'll gain!

Posted by: ChrisO ()
Date: January 14, 2011 18:19

If they play the right city...they get to meet me!!!

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: January 14, 2011 19:17

Nothing besides money and Satisfaction

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: January 14, 2011 19:36

It would demonstrate that they truly are a working band as they hit their 50th anniversary - gotta be worth doing. Otherwise its 45 years (or whatever) for me. They dont exist as a band just cause they are all still alive and they have opened the archives. They should do an album and some gigs.

Why not a 15 night residency in each of 4 major world capitals.

Date: January 14, 2011 19:51

Who says they're touring? They most certainly are not a "working band", that's for sure.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 14, 2011 19:52

lem motlow
the guy who makes these decisions knows what he's doing,stop worrying about it.you'll find out soon enough.

Cohl?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: January 14, 2011 19:57

Elmo Lewis
Cohl?

I am really cold. It's only 43F out!

Date: January 14, 2011 20:04

skipstone
Who says they're touring? They most certainly are not a "working band", that's for sure.

I said if they did an album and some gigs it would demonstrate that they ARE a working band. I think we actually agree that as things stand they are NOT a working band. The whole 50th thing only means anything if they do some serious work

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: January 14, 2011 20:16

They don't need to gain or prove anything they can do what they want and if thats touring and playing live for people who want to see them and there enjoying themselves then so be it thats enough and if you don't want to see them stay home.

Date: January 14, 2011 20:26

Okay, but spare me the rounds of Keef interviews when the 50th anniversary arrives if they are not doing proper work. They will NOT have lasted 50 years (as a band) simply because they remain alive. I sincerely hope they do something meaningful, cause it will be such a tough record for anyone else to break

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-14 20:27 by letitloose.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: January 14, 2011 23:00

"I think they could make it the best yet"

erm, i hate to rain on your parade pal, however, that is EXTREMELY unlikely...

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 15, 2011 01:44

To close the final chapter on their epic carrers. Kick our asses with a great recording of new material (2 CD's are a must) and the final 50th Anniv. Tour. They don't need the $ but they do play for it! It is what they do and who they are. The big Q- Can Keith hold up for 2 yrs/2 hrs per night on the road?? I have my doubts, but I pray he can and will.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 15, 2011 08:53

letitloose
It would demonstrate that they truly are a working band as they hit their 50th anniversary - gotta be worth doing. Otherwise its 45 years (or whatever) for me. They dont exist as a band just cause they are all still alive and they have opened the archives. They should do an album and some gigs.

Why not a 15 night residency in each of 4 major world capitals.

<<< They dont exist as a band just cause they are all still alive and they have opened the archives. They should do an album and some gigs. >>>

Very true. They need to actually DO something !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 15, 2011 10:03

What do the Stones have to gain by a new tour? Simple. Enjoying themselves. Don't they deserve to play and enjoy each other's company? Sure they do! And they will revel in the memories and share their extended families, and follow that moonlight mile one more time.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 15, 2011 11:19

whitem8
What do the Stones have to gain by a new tour? Simple. Enjoying themselves. Don't they deserve to play and enjoy each other's company? Sure they do! And they will revel in the memories and share their extended families, and follow that moonlight mile one more time.

Simple. Enjoying themselves. Indeed

Don't they deserve to play and enjoy each other's company? Sure they do! Completely agree

And they will revel in the memories and share their extended families, and follow that moonlight mile one more time They sure will

BUT, they still really oughta GET OUT and DO SOMETHING if this whole impending 50 year thing is to have any validity or credibility as being something of significance, or worth, and more importantly - something worthy of celebration. The mere fact that MJ, KR, CW and RW are still alive and walking the face of this planet somewhere or other simply isn't cause enough to go completely ape over "50 years of Rolling Stones", that's horseshit. 50 years of Rolling Stones with them currently OUT THERE alive and well and rockin' for others to see and enjoy and share amongst, now THAT would be something for sure. And so for better or for worse ... that's actually what they need to do. Of course, if they don't want to, no big deal ... fine by me too. They had a great run, I had a great run with them, I was there at the O2 in August 2007, they were memorable shows, and so be it. Fankyew an' goooooooooooooooooooooooood night !! Shame they couldn't make the big FIVE O though, 50 is a nicer rounder figure than 45, or so I think anyway.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-15 16:35 by paulywaul.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: January 16, 2011 09:10

It's all about achieving 50 years and going out in a blaze of glory with a new dynamite album and a final wave goodbye kind of like what Jack Nicklaus did at the 2005 British Open closing out his major championship career at St. Andrews with a birdie on his final hole. Great performers deserve great endings, of course there is always the risk that you might stumble off the stage (Brett Favre) when you keep waiting to improve the script to the end of your career. Hopefully the Stones have one final "birdie" in them!

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: January 16, 2011 09:29

It will not flop unless the world wide economy gets tremendously worse. Even if it is not as lucrative as they would like, or previously, they will, if physically able, take full advantage of the 50th anniversary thing/Olympics because they can always use more money.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: January 16, 2011 17:45

24FPS
They will not do anything we want them to do. They will do what they want to do, and that will happen to coincide with the biggest payday they can manage for what will almost certainly be their last major tour.

Of course, the Stones will try to get as much money from the tour as possible. Do you think the Stones are stupid? Are you trying to suggest that the Stones play for free? Are you serious? Last major tour? I do not believe that either.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 16, 2011 18:24

24FPS

so i guess that stuff about the fans being important and we would not be here without them means nothing

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 16, 2011 20:21

I don't believe my short statement had anything in it to suggest the Stones are stupid; quite the opposite.

Like athletes in their twilight (see the aforementioned Brett Favre, for the Brits, Beckham) they know their big paydays are coming to an end and they want to wring out the last dollar/pound/euro/peso/yen/yuan they can get. That will require pleasing the largest fanbase, meaning the casual fan, who want familiar warhorses blared for the zillionth time.

Where the Stones can differ from other bands is that they have an incomparable catalogue to keep themselves, and harder core fans interested. But make no mistake, IMO, this is not going to be a tour heavy with 'I'm A King Bee', 'Sad Day', or 'Doncha Bother Me'. I would be there in a heartbeat, but at this time, in this economy, there will be some 'Come hear the Stones deliver their classics for the Last Time' salesmanship involved, even if the group doesn't do it directly.

And yes, I believe they care about their fans, to an extent. They seem to just do what they do, and hope the fans respond well. Where the fans and group come together are those special small gigs they do in cities, where the repertoire is more varied. Unfortunately most of us can't catch them in those settings due to the sheer lack of seats. This final, or near final tour, is the perfect chance for them to really dig deep into their archives and deliver rarities, but I wouldn't count on it in any significant way.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1530
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home