Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: So now rock 'n' roll is officially dead
Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 12, 2011 14:50

It is not dead but it really isn't the music of choice of young people anymore, Hip Hop and R&B have replaced rock as the sound and culture of youth.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: January 12, 2011 18:41

Beast
RIP rock'n'roll? Professor of pop reads the last rites
Rock songs in the charts fall to lowest level in 50 years, with only three tracks appearing in the top 100 best-sellers

So that is why the Rolling Stones are a funk band these days. Well, at least Bob Dylan says so.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: January 12, 2011 18:44

Yes, that's why I cringe when I listen to Mick talking about Champagne & Reefer in SAL, none of those young model girls in the front rows have no idea who's Muddy Waters, who's Buddy Guy, and don't really care.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 13, 2011 00:33

This has no significance whatsoever - it's been said for eons. And it is certainly not true and never has been.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: January 13, 2011 01:16

Yeah, agree with skipstone. I remember watching one of those History of Rock 'n' Roll series things about 20 years ago (maybe more), where Sting and Bono were pompously pronouncing rock 'n' roll dead. "What a couple of knobs", I recall thinking.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 13, 2011 02:10

Rock and roll will always be. It'll go down in history.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 13, 2011 02:11

I don't care what people say. Rock and roll is here to stay.

Date: January 13, 2011 02:14

Comercially speaking, rock 'n' roll is maybe doing well. But artistically speaking, it has nothing new to say.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 13, 2011 02:23

treaclefingers
24FPS
The last band that brought anything new to rock? Was there a power duet before the White Stripes?

I'm just depressed because that Robert Plant article hit home. The Stones have stopped rolling in the studio. I just listened to cuts from Voodoo Lounge and there's nothing new. Bridges to Babylon had some new sounds but it didn't sound like the Stones had touched them. A Bigger Bang had a pretty cool sound update with 'Rough Justice', but the rest was rehash. Somewhere along the line they lost the ability to meld their sound with something current, ala 'Miss You'. It's beginning to look like there will no future glory, only a celebration of the past.

Unless they go the Robert Plant route, and do an album of duets with say, KD Lang (whom they've already found inspiration from on Bridges).

Hey, maybe a whole album of duets with various artists...I don't think that's ever been done!

BB King did it a few years ago. One of the acts on the album happened to be the Stones themselves.

Date: January 13, 2011 02:25

Most of the duet albums by any artists are pretty bad. I can't imagine what a Stones duet album would sound like.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 13, 2011 02:28

stones78
Most of the duet albums by any artists are pretty bad. I can't imagine what a Stones duet album would sound like.

Pretty bad!

The BB King one was very good, actually.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: January 13, 2011 02:31

I think it's folly to expect it to have anything new to say at this late date. I interviewed the great Andy Shernoff, mastermind of the mighty Dictators, a few years ago. He had written a ripping tune called Who Will Save Rock 'n' Roll? I asked him if anyone or anything would save rock 'n' roll and his response was "Not a chance". He went on to opine that the 50's, 60's and 70's represented a unique time that would never, could never be duplicated, given what's come since. I agree but I would argue that just because it's no longer "dangerous" doesn't mean it can't continue to thrive. There are lots of great bands out there, it just takes more of an effort perhaps to find them and there are always going to be talented young people falling in love with the music and channeling that into their own beautiful noise.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: January 13, 2011 02:33

They took the roll out of the rock way back in the mid sixties with the demise of top 40 radio, to make way for art, heavy, progressive, metal and all those other rock labels. FM radio and AOR radio stations didn't help either and it got a little too complicated for my liking. Rock'n'Roll is music to dance to and sound good over your am car radio.

Date: January 13, 2011 02:38

I don't know if what's being said is that rock music will be kept alive by bringing new ideas to the genre or if it simply will live on as long as it sells no matter how bad it is.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: January 13, 2011 03:23

Rock'n'roll is dead?

That explains the Zombeatles.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 13, 2011 16:48

Keith's opinion:

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: January 13, 2011 17:57

treaclefingers
Rip This
...I like the Black Keys...

great

Ditto!

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: January 13, 2011 18:02

paulywaul
The problem lay, in part, with shortsighted record labels investing less in the talent of the future and more in instantly profitable acts such as former X Factor stars, said Gambaccini. "I feel sorry for rock artists today, because record labels have started chasing the quarter-term profit rather than long-term development."

How true, & how sad

"Promoters are panicking, because in 10 years these artists will retire and then where will they be?" said Gambaccini.

Well, they've only got themselves to blame, the dickheads they are

About the record companies, Zappa was commenting on that with 'Tinsel Town Rebellion.' Find the live version to listen too with slightly altered, but more precise and cutting lyrics.

The future of Rock might have to be more of a Phish, Dead approach, just keeping playing live and acquire a reputation for being a live act with growing crowd numbers and hopefully the music industry will come to you.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 14, 2011 01:38

Love the Phish, Dead approach, as long as it's not the Phish or the Dead playing.

Posted by: tomzen ()
Date: January 18, 2011 10:45

According to Keith (in Life), by the early sixties rock'n roll had died and gone pop, which is why they called their music rythm'n blues.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: January 18, 2011 22:05

Carnaby
Once a form of music is here, it's here. May not always be front and center, but it's still here.

But it's not vital and moving forward, it's fossilized like classical music. I understand there are contemporary classical composers, but when you go to see a symphony or chamber music concert, you expect to hear the old masters. What they play on classical music stations is predominantly music composed hundreds of years ago.

Rock music has long been moving in this direction. It didn't have to be this way. I blame the music industry for not promoting or developing new talent, and seemingly not being able to recognize quality musicians. But it's too late now, the music industry is dead on its feet. Nirvana - and the crop of bands that came in with or just after them in the early 90's, like Pearl Jam & AIC - was the last gasp of rock 'n roll.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 18, 2011 22:21

Claire_M
Carnaby
Once a form of music is here, it's here. May not always be front and center, but it's still here.

But it's not vital and moving forward, it's fossilized like classical music. I understand there are contemporary classical composers, but when you go to see a symphony or chamber music concert, you expect to hear the old masters. What they play on classical music stations is predominantly music composed hundreds of years ago.

Rock music has long been moving in this direction. It didn't have to be this way. I blame the music industry for not promoting or developing new talent, and seemingly not being able to recognize quality musicians. But it's too late now, the music industry is dead on its feet. Nirvana - and the crop of bands that came in with or just after them in the early 90's, like Pearl Jam & AIC - was the last gasp of rock 'n roll.

depending on how you definite "rock'n'roll" - it is a very limited form of music, which arguably ran its course within 15 years. i've cited this before - but the liner notes to an early jeff beck group album indicated as far back as 1968 that rockn'roll had ceased to evolve. i tend to agree.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 20, 2011 11:34

Elmo Lewis
Due to the 3-headed monster:

1. Rap
2. MTV - formerly a music channel
3. Kobain and other grunge crap

...back in 1985...

"... too much is never enough..."

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 20, 2011 14:13

Wasn't Grunge the last struggle in Rock'n'Roll? OK Strokes had 1 OK rock-album after that, and Dinosaur Jr's Beyond and Subways, babyshambles...eh Hey! Rock'n'roll isn't Dead!

2 1 2 0

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1481
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home