Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

question for guitarists-Mick Taylor fans
Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: April 15, 2013 06:17

anyone out there know what scales or modes Taylor commonly used when with the stones? I'm thinking of his Love in Vain non slide solos in particular which seem to be minor pentatonic with a bit of major or Dorian thrown in? Also Dead Flowers which seems to be major pentatonic with the odd extra note here and there

But I may be completely wrong so welcome any thoughts

Re: question for guitarists-Mick Taylor fans
Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 15, 2013 11:42

ozziestone
anyone out there know what scales or modes Taylor commonly used when with the stones? I'm thinking of his Love in Vain non slide solos in particular which seem to be minor pentatonic with a bit of major or Dorian thrown in? Also Dead Flowers which seems to be major pentatonic with the odd extra note here and there

But I may be completely wrong so welcome any thoughts

You can contact Mike Joiner, he wrote some great and correct transcriptions, Taylor era Stones solos, both in tab and NOTES + the chords. The notes in combination with the chords give you an interesting insight on MT's whats and hows.

Have fun:

jazzguitarist27@yahoo.com

Posted by: howled ()
Date: April 15, 2013 11:48

Date: April 15, 2013 12:36

VT22
You can contact Mike Joiner, he wrote some great and correct transcriptions, Taylor era Stones solos, both in tab and NOTES + the chords. The notes in combination with the chords give you an interesting insight on MT's whats and hows.

Have fun:

Thanks. I have his book (which is excellent) and thats what prompted the query really. I think I would cope with it better if I had some idea of the scales/modes he uses, particularly as they relate to specific songs

Date: April 15, 2013 12:50

ozziestone
VT22

Have fun:

Thanks. I have his book (which is excellent) and thats what prompted the query really. I think I would cope with it better if I had some idea of the scales/modes he uses, particularly as they relate to specific songs

He basically uses the major scale, as all the scales you mentioned (pentatonic, dorian, mixolydian) are hidden in there, + some blue notes, chromatic, guide and approach notes (by bending etc). Just make sure you don't get lost in the fingering type forest. I suggest you visit a music store, there is a lot of blues stuff available that will show you the way, or a competent teacher. But to play it like Mick did...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-15 12:58 by VT22.

Date: April 15, 2013 13:42

Yeah, well, learn the notes and then match them bit by bit to the underlying chords and then what scales/arpeggios passing notes etc he is using will be revealed.

What notes are on the on beats and off beats and why?

Date: April 15, 2013 13:48

VT22
He basically uses the major scale, as all the scales you mentioned (pentatonic, dorian, mixolydian) are hidden in there, + some blue notes, chromatic, guide and approach notes (by bending etc). Just make sure you don't get lost in the fingering type forest. I suggest you visit a music store, there is a lot of blues stuff available that will show you the way, or a competent teacher. But to play it like Mick did...
Thanks again. But to play it like Mick did... Indeed-not even in my wildest dreams I'm afraid. His second solo on Love In Vain in Ladies & Gentlemen is..........well, i'm sure you know what I mean

Date: April 15, 2013 13:58

Date: April 15, 2013 14:05

Date: April 15, 2013 14:10

Thanks howled. Is that you in the vids? Sounding good esp the second one

Date: April 15, 2013 14:44

No, not me.

Chords are

[stonestabs.tripod.com]

[www.tabpower.com]

So just match the notes to the chords and what Taylor is actually doing will become more obvious.

Of course there are other things besides the note/chord relationships, like timing and feeling etc etc.

Date: April 15, 2013 16:43

ozziestone

Thanks again. But to play it like Mick did... Indeed-not even in my wildest dreams I'm afraid. His second solo on Love In Vain in Ladies & Gentlemen is..........well, i'm sure you know what I mean

I sure know what you mean smiling smiley
I hope my answer was not too theoretical then - your question seemed a theoretical one to me. Besides, even if someone could play an exact copy of Taylor's solos (I never ever heard someone doing it), he's always second best, cause it's Taylor that invented these fantastic melodies on the spot back in the 7tees. And that's true art to me.

Date: April 15, 2013 16:58

Yeah, learn what Mick and others are doing and then go your own way using what you have learnt.

Date: April 15, 2013 16:59

howled
Yeah, learn what Mick and others are doing and then go your own way using what you have learnt.

thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1540
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home