Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones on vinyl vs. Stones on CD
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 6, 2013 00:06

Here's a nice story about re-discovering Stones music on vinyl.

From Analog Planet website [www.analogplanet.com]

-----------------------

Analog Corner #34
By Michael Fremer

(Originally published in Stereophile, May 12th, 1998)

I've got this friend Shirley. Married with two kids, she appears to be your typical suburban middle-aged housewife—but somehow her music genes got short-circuited. While most of her neighbors have become Yanni-fied (if they pay attention to music at all), Shirley is a Rolling Stones fanatic.

You are too? Really? Have you been on the Stones' "Bridges to Babylon" tour, attending concerts on the schedule throughout North America, and some in Europe too? Shirley has. (Her husband, Jerry, stays home—he's more of a Kinks aficionado.) Do you spend every spare minute on some kind of internet Stones "Glimmer Line''? Shirley does. Do you own every CD the Stones have ever released, plus stacks of live bootlegs? Do you play them constantly, memorizing who plays what on every track? Do you have a set list from every show on the current tour? Do you have the Stones' lips'n'tongue logo lovingly painted on your fingernails—a different visual and color combo on each one? Shirley does.

Recently she forwarded me an e-mail she'd received from someone who wanted to know if the new British 180gm pressing of Sticky Fingers was sourced from a digital master—as if that was a good thing. (It is from a digital source, by the way.) I e-mailed her that, rather than explaining why the opposite was true, she should come over and I would play an analog version for her vs Bob Ludwig's recent Virgin Records CD remaster.

Last week she showed up with her friend Pat, another Stones fanatic. I sat them down for a serious listening session. Pat was skeptical as I took out an original British Decca pressing of Beggar's Banquet. "How many plays before the needle ruins the grooves?" he asked. "Well, Pat, I'm going to play you a record I've owned and played incessantly for 31 years."

When "Jigsaw Puzzle" ended, Pat and Shirley were wobbly with pleasure. "It's a different song," Pat exclaimed. "I've never heard half of that stuff, and that sounds like a real electric guitar." And, and, and!—when the evening was over, and after some direct comparisons between ancient, oft-played LPs and the highly praised CD remasters, both Shirley and Pat agreed: there was no comparison between LPs and CDs. I don't have to tell you which won out, or why, or by how much.

What really amazed me was how these nonaudiophiles expressed what they heard and how it differed from what they were used to hearing. Without using any of the worn-out audiophile vernacular, Pat and Shirley were each able to describe the sensation of hearing instrumental lines laid out with ease—allowing them, for example, to follow Bill Wyman's bass throughout a tune. Both were struck by how much more of the intent behind what the musicians were playing came through. And, of course, both heard instruments (especially the difficult-to-delineate piano) buried for decades of listening on nonaudiophile gear. Neither could believe, for example, that Brian Jones actually plays harmonica throughout "High and Dry," not just at the beginning and during a few scattered breaks.

I played them German, Japanese, and American pressings of Exile On Main Street, and they were able to hear and describe the differences though neither had ever spent a minute of their lives listening this way. Shirley said, "I can't believe I can hear differences between pressings from different countries." Both described the sound from the CDs as being "all mooshed together," and both noted that just when the music reached what should have been a dynamic peak, it "pooped out." Both were really surprised to hear that analog bass was more harmonically complete and much better focused than digital—and believe me, it wasn't the CD player (a Bow-tech ZZ-8) that was at fault.

What's sad is that both Pat and Shirley have original vinyl pressings. They just haven't bothered playing them for the past decade because they thought—well, you know what they thought. They don't think it no mo'! Will they invest in audiophile-grade analog playback gear? Stay tuned. [...]

Continue reading here : [www.analogplanet.com]

Re: Stones on vinyl vs. Stones on CD
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 6, 2013 00:11

What a load of wank!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 6, 2013 00:13

Nice story. Vinyl is definitely my favourite format, but like many others here I'm sure, I mainly listen to the digital releases. I haven't even listened to a CD in an age. It's the iPod all the way and that saddens me a little, I must say.

Date: April 6, 2013 00:15

Keep in my mind this was written in 1998. ie before the ipod invasion.

Date: April 6, 2013 00:17

People who can't hear Brian play harmonica through High And Dry on CD need their ears tested.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-06 00:19 by His Majesty.

Date: April 6, 2013 00:30

grinning smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 6, 2013 00:39

The ABKCO SACD releases blow away anything I've ever heard.

Date: April 6, 2013 00:47

24FPS

Sure, but even on the cd releases from before then Brian's harmonica on High And Dry is there throughout and the electric guitar on Jigsaw Puzzle sounds like a real electric guitar.

Seems these people have @#$%& up ears.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 6, 2013 01:24

His Majesty
24FPS

Sure, but even on the cd releases from before then Brian's harmonica on High And Dry is there throughout and the electric guitar on Jigsaw Puzzle sounds like a real electric guitar.

It seems odd to come to the conclusion that people hearing 'more' thru vinyl have 'messed up' ears.

Does this mean people who don't hear any difference have superior hearing?

Date: April 6, 2013 01:42

treaclefingers
His Majesty
24FPS

It seems odd to come to the conclusion that people hearing 'more' thru vinyl have 'messed up' ears.

Does this mean people who don't hear any difference have superior hearing?

What they can't hear on the CD versions of Aftermath and Beggars Banquet implies they have @#$%& up hearing or they aren't listening very well because the notes/instruments they single out are quite clear and sound like the instruments they actually are on all officially released CD versions of Aftermath and Beggars Banquet.

The article is silly though and probably this sillyness is just people exaggerating.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-06 01:52 by His Majesty.

Date: April 6, 2013 02:09

I don't think it's silly to hear differences between an original vinyl pressing and a CD remaster.

Stones classic albums have been reissued on CD at least four times with each time a different mastering. I can single out any of these mastering by listening and it's true that the Bob Ludwig remasters (those that were used for the comparison with vinyls according ot the article author) sound very different and quite "processed".

It really fits with my own listening experience when he says "Both described the sound from the CDs as being "all mooshed together," and both noted that just when the music reached what should have been a dynamic peak, it "pooped out."

Date: April 6, 2013 02:26

My points are about Aftermath and Beggars Banquet.

Differences? Of course there are differences, there's differences due to a whole number of things even with the same record, tape or cd played on different gear.

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: April 6, 2013 09:10

I can always tell vinyl from CD. To me vinyl is far better.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 6, 2013 17:09

I don't know but my best sounding Stones-album is 'Shine a Light' on CD...faboulus sound...second comes 'Out of or Heads' Mono-LP vinyl....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: nick ()
Date: April 6, 2013 17:11

That story sounds like what people experienced in the mid-80's listening to CD's for the first time.

Date: April 6, 2013 17:11

Come On
I don't know but my best sounding Stones-album is 'Shine a Light' on CD...faboulus sound...second comes 'Out of or Heads' Mono-LP vinyl....

We're working on creating an IORR Help Desk to answer questions and direct users to the appropriate services to deal with issues such as yours.

Don't worry, we're all getting older...sometimes these afflictions can be treated with a simple change in diet, multivitamins or more exercise.

In rare cases medication is prescribed...surgery is also an option.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 6, 2013 17:15

The ABCO SACD versions are far superior to any vinyl pressings I've ever heard in fact when I first heard the Stones on CD I heard things clearly that I'd NEVER heard on my vinyl pressings.
And I never miss scratches, crackles and skips!!

Date: April 6, 2013 17:33

slew
The ABCO SACD versions are far superior to any vinyl pressings I've ever heard in fact when I first heard the Stones on CD I heard things clearly that I'd NEVER heard on my vinyl pressings.

They wouldn't be strange voices would they?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 6, 2013 18:24

treaclefingers
slew

They wouldn't be strange voices would they?

Okay, I didn't have 5 speaker surround sound when I listened to Beggars Banquet on vinyl. But playing the ABKCO SACD version of Sympathy For the Devil is beyond anything I've heard previously. I can hear Rocky Dijon's conga clearly. I remember at the time of the SACD releases in 2002 that Keith was quite knocked out, saying he heard things on the recordings he'd never heard before. And no, it wasn't strange voices.

Date: April 6, 2013 18:45

mikeeder
I can always tell vinyl from CD.

It's not hard. grinning smiley

Can you tell between vinyl and vinyl recorded to CD?

Date: April 6, 2013 19:22

His Majesty
mikeeder

Or can you tell between vinyl made from analogue master and vinyl made from digital master (2003 ABKCO vinyl reissues are made from DSD masters).

Date: April 6, 2013 19:36

kowalski
His Majesty
mikeeder

Or can you tell between vinyl made from analogue master and vinyl made from digital master (2003 ABKCO vinyl reissues are made from DSD masters).

Indeed.

Date: April 6, 2013 20:08

His Majesty
mikeeder

that's what she said

Date: April 6, 2013 20:19

treaclefingers
His Majesty
mikeeder

that's what she said

grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1918
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home