Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: The Stones have never Misled their Fans
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 8, 2011 19:07

skipstone
Regardless of how good or bad it is, the Stones will not have misled their fans. They never have.

u should really spend some time reading this thread, skippy; they have.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 8, 2011 19:21

skipstone

Regardless of how good or bad it is, the Stones will not have misled their fans. They never have.

huh? I never found any kind of warning on any of their 'live' albums saying: "not everything on this CD has been recorded live" and/or "some tracks have been overdubbed"

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 8, 2011 20:10

skipstone
the Stones will not have misled their fans. They never have. Fans have misled themselves about the Stones.
skipstone..yea'..Like i've always said if theres any misleading been done..its the fans misleading each other half the time..and of course lets not forget the media they're the real experts when it comes to confusing and misleading the fans and themselves as well..smoking smiley

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 8, 2011 20:26

colonial
Theres one thing about The Rolling Stones they've always been straight up honest with their fans..I just thought I'll put another good word in for them

Had the title of the thread and the first post not been so vague....this thread might not have
gone off on so many tangents.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 8, 2011 20:33

In 1990 I went to a show in Cardiff, it was postponed from 11th July to 16th at the last minute. The official reason was that Keith had speared his finger on the end of a sharp guitar string and it had gone septic. The rumor was that the show was badly undersold and the band wanted time to move the stage forward so the stadium didn't look half empty. Personally I didn't buy this as what would it matter even if a show in a back water like Wales was not taken up when Wembley, Manchester, Glasgow and Newcastle were all sell outs.........but when I eventually got in sure enough the stage was almost a 1/3 of the way up the pitch, only about 20 yards from the half way line....it looked really strange from the stand especially as at the end where it was built there was open terracing behind. ie. there was plenty of room to build it right on the goal line and back into the terrace as they did in Bristol some years before.........The expense of moving it, refunds for people who couldn't make the new date..? I think it probaly was Keith's finger but as I say that stage did look very odd where it was.......hmmmm

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 8, 2011 20:43

er...I think that theory is blown out of the water by the fact that the two - sold out - shows at Wembley that followed it were postponed for the same reason (on one occasion during the soundcheck). Plus the fact that Keith commented on his injury at the Glasgow show that preceded it (which I was at).

Even if the show wasnt a sell out, the stage would have been there for days beforehand anyway.

Now, the DUBLIN show that was originally scheduled for 16th July WAS cancelled due to poor sales (only 5,000 bought tickets I think). The official reason was due to the time constraints on shipping the equipment over to Dublin on time. I wonder who dreamed that one up. Ronnie even made a sarcastic quip about it when he played his solo gig at Vicar Street in December 2001.

Bringing the stage forward isnt that unusual. They still do it. Cant imagine it would cause a show to be postponed, though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-08 21:31 by Gazza.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 8, 2011 21:36

bv
Most of us live in a free country. We can say and write what we like, and we can spend our money as we please. If we have some extra money to spend then we are free to buy a Stones record, and to buy a ticket for one of their shows. If we don't think it is worth it, we can choose to spend our money on pizza and beer instead.

The Stones have been available for the fans for 50 years. They could have retired and lived a quiet family life ages ago, but they keep making new records and tours. I think I have got a lot more than I expected when I became a Stones fan 40 years ago. Thank you for the music, and for all the great moments!

Yes yes quite, all praises to the Rolling Stones for not having retired and be tending their rose gardens, but still being an entity after some 50 years !! But their having been 'available' to us, whether or not we have wished to take them up on what they've been offering, over some 50 odd years; THAT is hardly what is being discussed here. What IS being discussed is whether or not to some extent they've MISLED people. That essentially means .... DECEIVED people. The answer to THAT particular question is undoubtedly yes. They've either (a) promised things and not delivered, (or (b) alluded to things happening, or inferring things might happen, that have subsequently not done so.

I'm one of their biggest fans, but I'm not quite SO blind in my loyalty that I fail to identify a good old fashioned bit of 'misling' when it's staring me in the face !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 8, 2011 21:41

Gazza
Fan of their music? Absolutely - 100%. Doesn't mean I have to approve of their business ethics and how un-fan friendly they've become in recent years. Or defend a statement which is so ludicrous, you could easily dig out dozens of examples to disprove it.

thumbs up

Date: January 8, 2011 21:48

Gazza
er...I think that theory is blown out of the water by the fact that the two - sold out - shows at Wembley that followed it were postponed for the same reason (on one occasion during the soundcheck). Plus the fact that Keith commented on his injury at the Glasgow show that preceded it (which I was at).

Even if the show wasnt a sell out, the stage would have been there for days beforehand anyway.

Now, the DUBLIN show that was originally scheduled for 16th July WAS cancelled due to poor sales (only 5,000 bought tickets I think). The official reason was due to the time constraints on shipping the equipment over to Dublin on time. I wonder who dreamed that one up. Ronnie even made a sarcastic quip about it when he played his solo gig at Vicar Street in December 2001.

Bringing the stage forward isnt that unusual.
> er...I think that theory is blown out of the water by the fact that the two - sold out - shows at Wembley that followed it were postponed for the same reason (on one occasion during the soundcheck). Plus the fact that Keith commented on his injury at the Glasgow show that preceded it (which I was at) <....
ah right... I didn't know any of that...that clears it up....

> the two - sold out - shows at Wembley that followed it were postponed for the same reason <.....
Were these the two that ended up as Steel Wheels shows at the end of August ?

>Even if the show wasnt a sell out, the stage would have been there for days beforehand anyway.<
Well, yes of course, I understand that but if they decided to bring the stage forward at the last minute then they would have needed a few days to do that... but as I said I didn't buy it myself and only commented in fact because I did think it a bit strange for the stage to be so far up the pitch....that's all really....

>Now, the DUBLIN show that was originally scheduled for 16th July WAS cancelled due to poor sales (only 5,000 bought tickets I think). The official reason was due to the time constraints on shipping the equipment over to Dublin on time. I wonder who dreamed that one up.<.....
So that one was a porky then....?..(I didn't even know there was a Dublin show scheduled.)..O.K.Thanks...Eddie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-08 21:55 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 8, 2011 21:57

asking or implying that they have misled their fans is misleading....regardless of their shortcommings they have written some of the best tunes and performed for the better part of 45+ years better than most if not the best. Having said that, I think the Live Licks CD was crap...and I'd like my money back.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 8, 2011 22:00

Yes, Eddie..the two Wembley shows were rescheduled for 24 & 25 August at the end of the tour. It suited me, personally as I'd been to two shows in Paris in June, then Glasgow and figured that was my last one - so the delay made the trip affordable.

Dublin was scheduled for 16th July at Lansdowne Road. I was actually first in the queue to buy tickets! They even had an option on a second show the following day, if the first one sold out. Sales for concerts in the Republic of Ireland were shocking in general that summer, so it wasnt just the Stones - they had qualified for the World Cup for the first time and it seemed hardly anyone was going to concerts. There had been rumours for a while that sales were very slow, but it was still a kick in the teeth that they cancelled. No one I know of bought the 'official' excuse, though.

I think Keith bust his finger while tuning a guitar before the 7/7/90 Wembley show (a string perforated it and it went septic). Playing the show that night and in Glasgow two days later merely aggravated it.

As far as I recall, the Cardiff show and the Wembley show on the 13th were only called off at the time of the soundcheck with fans outside, so they DID actually make the effort to give the show a chance until the last minute, but Keith was in too much pain to play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-08 22:01 by Gazza.

Date: January 8, 2011 22:02

Rip This
I think the Live Licks CD was crap...and I'd like my money back.

+1...Like someone just got a load of titles, pulled them out of a hat and stuck the results togethor with selotape.....dire...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 8, 2011 22:09

I think my rant was more about how they offer nothing in terms of news about what they're doing overall - album, tour. Speculation is pointless, saying 'done deal' and 'it will start in the east' and 'they will play Wembley on their 50th' blah blah blah. It's all bullshit. They've not indicated anything.

They had that little bit last year, the so called "official announcement" about no tour. My actual point was that the Stones have never apologised for anything, they just do - or don't, in this case, and it makes people grumpy for no reason at all really. That's probably what I was aiming at. I just used the wrong word.

Date: January 8, 2011 22:09

Gazza
Yes, Eddie..the two Wembley shows were rescheduled for 24 & 25 August at the end of the tour. It suited me, personally as I'd been to two shows in Paris in June, then Glasgow and figured that was my last one - so the delay made the trip affordable.

Dublin was scheduled for 16th July at Lansdowne Road. I was actually first in the queue to buy tickets! They even had an option on a second show the following day, if the first one sold out. Sales for concerts in the Republic of Ireland were shocking in general that summer, so it wasnt just the Stones - they had qualified for the World Cup for the first time and it seemed hardly anyone was going to concerts. There had been rumours for a while that sales were very slow, but it was still a kick in the teeth that they cancelled. No one I know of bought the 'official' excuse, though.

I think Keith bust his finger while tuning a guitar before the 7/7/90 Wembley show (a string perforated it and it went septic). Playing the show that night and in Glasgow two days later merely aggravated it.

As far as I recall, the Cardiff show and the Wembley show on the 13th were only called off at the time of the soundcheck with fans outside, so they DID actually make the effort to give the show a chance until the last minute, but Keith was in too much pain to play.
O.K. Thanks...yes I was just about to leave the house to catch the train up to Cardiff when it was announced on the radio that it was off....that wasn't until about 12.30...so yes, definitely last minute (Reluctant from what you've said) decision...

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 8, 2011 22:40

Rip This
I think the Live Licks CD was crap...and I'd like my money back.

i just paid one (!) Euro for it, but given the fact that I could buy a bootle of coke for the same price, it wasn't that cheap

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: January 8, 2011 23:32

colonial
colonial
Peoples circumstances change all the time it happens to all of us..and im sure The Stones have had to go back on their word a few times..but the way some fans go on about them anyone would think they've deliberately gone out there to try and mislead their fans.Why would they want to do that for?

stonescrow..on a few occasions has even gone as far as calling The Rolling Stones "The Masters of Disception"..or something along those lines..I have to totally disagree on that stonescrow

Colonial,

Hey mate, could have just as easily said "Master Promoters", "Masters of Hype", "Masters of High Drama", "Masters of Mystery" "Masters of Excitement", "Masters of Controversy", or "Master Soap Opera Script Writers" or something along those lines.

As a small scale (amateur) promoter of events/games in my neighborhood now for nearly 50 years I have come to recognize the model (tactics) the Stones use for their pre event/tour build ups. They also use similar tactics within the body of their concert performances which I will detail sometime later today in a response to another member who apparently has become annoyed by my term RSTF (Rolling Stones Tour Foreplay).

My guess is that the Stones have operated this way for such a long time that they have taken it for granted that their fans understand that their pre event/tour actions are just part of the "promotions game" of which they are certainly "masters" at. The way I see it us hardcore fans should have no problem seeing them "winking" at us while they go about their business of setting up the next big event/tour. I am absolutely amazed that so many fans even right here at IORR seem to have no clue as to how our "boys" operate.

The bottom line is that your heart is in the right place by posting this thread, and that the Stones have done nothing to any of us to harm us in any way. The fault lies with us for not being perceptive enough to see them "winking" while they go about building towards their next (and most likely last) world tour. Yes, it's Rough Justice on us, but you know they will never break our hearts, and if you think they will, then, shame on you!

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: January 8, 2011 23:44

stonescrow
As a small scale (amateur) promoter of events/games in my neighborhood now for nearly 50 years I have come to recognize the model (tactics) the Stones use for their pre event/tour build ups. They also use similar tactics within the body of their concert performances which I will detail sometime later today in a response to another member who apparently has become annoyed by my term RSTF (Rolling Stones Tour Foreplay).

I'm not saying it isn't true, just that your repetition of it is annoying. Trust me, I ain't the only one annoyed by it. And I doubt I'll see your response, since I don't remember what thread it was in, so I doubt I'll be returning to it. Especially now.

But go ahead and waste your time with a reply if you feel the need.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 9, 2011 01:20

Misled? Only if you paid to join their web site club and shelled out a bunch of money for mediocre pre sale concert tickets. Not worth it at all.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: January 9, 2011 11:25

What about hiring 18 year old models to appear as 'fans' in the front rows in the film of the Shine a Light concerts? How is that not misleading, making the public think that the average Stones fan is a hot 18 year old girl?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 9, 2011 11:25

Midnight Toker
Misled? Only if you paid to join their web site club and shelled out a bunch of money for mediocre pre sale concert tickets. Not worth it at all.

THAT is very true. That entire ticket pre-sale business was a complete con, there is NO WAY you can look at it objectively and conclude anything other than that. They specifically market that fan club membership business as giving people access to a presale in which BETTER tickets than those that would come on sale later would be available.

Ask yourselves this. What does BETTER for 99.999999999999999999999999 percent of rational thinking Rolling Stones fans mean ? I'll tell you one thing it DOES NOT MEAN, it DOES NOT MEAN "o here's an opportunity to buy myself what I've always wanted, a ticket to see the Rolling Stones from the a** f***ng end of the O2 arena, up in the roof rafters".

YES .... of course the Rolling Stones HAVE misled their fans - on countless occasions. You're an idiot if you think therwise. I'm not apportioning blame to individual members obviously for this kind of thing, but at the end of the day ... THEY are what their entire large unwieldy cumbersome machine that the Rolling Stones per se have become - actually revolves around. In that respect, they could actually quite easily instigate changes if they so wished. It WOULD actually be well within their capabilities to make specific demands to whomsoever they delegate ticket sales responsibility to, that particular 'undesirable' practices shall we say, are not pursued, and that more agreeable, fairer, and fan friendly ones are adopted and enacted.

But maybe they're all just so far removed from those kind of menial tasks, (if you can call selling tickets/putting bums on seats a menial task) that they don't really give a toss ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: January 9, 2011 12:46

skipstone

Regardless of how good or bad it is, the Stones will not have misled their fans. They never have. Fans have misled themselves about the Stones. Even with the lack of output and the overindulgence of reissuing the same songs live again ad nauseum on another live DVD set or live album or another movie I still buy it, still go see it - because, as much as I don't like it in terms of not being convinced, I do like it. Selectively, of course, ha ha. "Ahh, whatever, it's the Stones." That's just what fans do. I don't attempt to convince those around me. It doesn't change anything. It means nothing. It's already been done.

bv

The Stones have been available for the fans for 50 years. They could have retired and lived a quiet family life ages ago, but they keep making new records and tours. I think I have got a lot more than I expected when I became a Stones fan 40 years ago. Thank you for the music, and for all the great moments!

...and for the many more to come, bv.
At the risk of solely agreeing with others in this thread, without adding something new to the cause:
another "+1" on my part for both quoted here above!

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Date: January 9, 2011 12:50

Bliss
What about hiring 18 year old models to appear as 'fans' in the front rows in the film of the Shine a Light concerts? How is that not misleading, making the public think that the average Stones fan is a hot 18 year old girl?

Bliss..yea'..That "Rent a crowd" thing spoiled that whole movie.I forgot about thing.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: January 9, 2011 15:02

Hey, colonial!

Suggestion for title of your next post: "The Stones Aren't Interested in Money".

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: January 9, 2011 15:13

Harlem Shuffler
Hey, colonial!

Suggestion for title of your next post: "The Stones Aren't Interested in Money".

>grinning smiley< haha

Date: January 9, 2011 15:40

colonial
Bliss

Bliss..yea'..That "Rent a crowd" thing spoiled that whole movie.I forgot about thing.
Well, it was a movie as well as a show and you do have actors in movies.....5 'grey haired grizzlies' on stage was probaly a hard enough sell without a couple of dozen more dribbling their lager on the stage...so.......there's a pretty hot 25 year old at the stables I go to who's a huge fan... called her horse 'Start me up'.........

Date: January 9, 2011 17:05

Bliss

3 years later and people continue to refuse to understand that this wasn't a filmed concert or a documentary but a film. It was scripted...from the get go re: drama over set lists, to fear of burning Jagger with the lighting, to the casting in the front, and yes... even the singing into the mic between Mick and Keith. They were smart enough to go through some fan web sites and get some real fans involved in the balcony. That was very generous of them....You want to see a filmed concert I suggest you rent Ladies & Gentlemen.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 9, 2011 17:16

Rip This
Bliss

3 years later and people continue to refuse to understand that this wasn't a filmed concert or a documentary but a film. It was scripted...from the get go re: drama over set lists, to fear of burning Jagger with the lighting, to the casting in the front, and yes... even the singing into the mic between Mick and Keith. They were smart enough to go through some fan web sites and get some real fans involved in the balcony. That was very generous of them....You want to see a filmed concert I suggest you rent Ladies & Gentlemen.

you're very helpful

Date: January 9, 2011 17:22

I understand...sometimes facts get in the way

Date: January 9, 2011 19:06

Harlem Shuffler
Hey, colonial!

Harlem Shuffler..yea'..Just lately i've been starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel a bit..for some good thread titles.But with that one I'll probably word it a wee bit different to something like."The Stones Are'nt Interested in Money so much Nowadays"..yea' that will do just nicely..cheers mate..smoking smiley

Posted by: skullring72 ()
Date: January 9, 2011 19:27

The Glasgow concert was the first Stones concert I went to. It may have been near the start of Vegas era Stones - but it was an incredible concert. Don't think I was too sober - but loved it. I remember some guy dancing on the roof of the stand above the Rangers end to Sympathy for the Devil. It felt real.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1038
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home