Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bobby Keys Fall From Favor
Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: January 8, 2011 19:26

skipstone
diego
Ian Stewart plays practically in EVERY song in the film. Never took notice of this before. He was actually THERE always, not just for some ocasional numbers.

According to...it was one of 'em - Mick, Keith or Bill - he wouldn't play on all the songs, he'd sit there and chime in here and there and the songs he hated and did not play on at all he'd read some golf magazine.

Something along those lines. So yeah, he was there, ha ha...

Ian Stewart refused to play in minor keys, he once said "When I'm on stage with the Stones and a minor chord comes along, I lift my hands in protest."

That's why Jim Dickinson plays piano on Wild Horses, it starts out with a B minor.

BTW, very intersting thread, I'm a huge Bobby Keys fan. Best rock 'n'roll sax player ever, IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-08 19:27 by Keefan.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: January 8, 2011 19:28

The Sicilian
Does anyone know what Bobby was arrested for in Sweden when Keith had to bail him out as he mentions in the above video just past the one minute mark.

Never heard of this before, would be interesting to know what went down, and when.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 8, 2011 22:11

Right - Ian only liked the boogie songs. He hated ballads.

Posted by: diego ()
Date: January 10, 2011 16:31

I previously read about the bath story in Nick Cowan´s book, but i thought it was later , not in 73.
He also tells a story about Bobby going out to a bar in Tokyo, loosing his way back to the hotel and ending up with a taxi fee bigger than what he got paid for the Japan leg of the tour.
What a chatacter!! That´s rocanrroll!!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 10, 2011 22:49

by Dom Tarle

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: May 8, 2011 12:19

Just read this thread, I agree the sax solo is a bit long on YCAGWYW but its ok, some of the earlier boots from the 70s there is sometimes sax at the start of Gimme Shelter, always sounds out of tune to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-09 09:20 by lapaz62.

Date: May 8, 2011 14:58

Bobby keys hired by Ron Wood as musical director for Woody's on the beach in the 80's. Surely part of the great fall; the ending of an era.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 8, 2011 19:58

Mathijs

BS and Let it Bleed.

Mathijs

and HTW

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 8, 2011 22:21

My favorite YCAGWYW sax solo from that tour is from the Sept. 8, 1st show. :-)

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 8, 2011 22:25

pmk251
My favorite YCAGWYW sax solo from that tour is from the Sept. 8, 1st show. :-)

It's Bobby on this one! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 9, 2011 08:59

From Barbara Charone's book KEITH RICHARDS: LIFE AS A ROLLING STONE p. 130:

"`Bobby Keyes certainly wanted to be a Rolling Stone,' Jo Bergman says of a comment many repeated. 'He was the one having baked potatoes stuffed with caviar. Mick wasn't even having that. They get addicted to the lifestyle. Why can't you be a Rolling Stone? Because you're not. The thing is the Stones move real fast,' Bergman adds...

"Bill Wyman remembers Keyes ordering Champagne and caviar on the road. `That guy cost us more than he made,' Wyman smiles. But the effects on the Texan were long-lasting.

"Bobby used to tell everyone he was a Rolling Stone,' Alan Dunn confirms. `He wound up broke at the end of it. Broke in mind, body and pocket. The only unfortunate thing with some of these people is they can't cope with friendship from someone as big as Keith. Bobby could never cope that he was a musician, not a Rolling Stone.'

"Keyes himself is not hesitant to admit he was acutely affected by the group and its lifestyle...`Being with the Stones turned my head around completely. For a minute I lost track of who I was `cause I wasn't a Rolling Stone and never would be a Rolling Stone, but I wanted to.'"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-09 09:04 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 9, 2011 09:07

find Bobby >>>

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 9, 2011 10:10

ROCKMAN

Date: May 9, 2011 10:20

that was my choice too...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: May 9, 2011 10:37

That was my guess too! Not to get off topic, but Keith Moon is directly below Bobby, and the guy to the right of Keith, if I'm not mistaken, is the driver/minder he ran over and killed, in a panic outside a club in the early 70's. I think that haunted him for the rest of his life, and is likely a big reason why he really went off the rails in the mid-70's.

The guy to the right of Bobby looks like Jim Gordon, the infamous session/Derek and the Dominoes drummer who murdered his Mom.

The guy on Bobby's left looks like Jim Price. Is that Billy Preston next to Clapton, and then George Harrison at the opposite end of Clapton?

Delaney and Bonnie are in the upper right corner, this must be backstage at one of their shows from the tour with Clapton and Harrison.

Date: May 9, 2011 10:41

--yeah, and then there's a famous couple in the front row...grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 9, 2011 10:47

ROCKMAN

Date: May 9, 2011 11:00

Mmmm intressting photo-session...Clapton got a 2 signed photos from John for his guitar-work on 'Love and Peace in Toronto'...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 9, 2011 12:47

That photo is in the original Sometime in New York City from the London Lyceum Ballroom gig. They do probably the definitive version of Cold Turkey. Stunning! Bobby also played on Well (Baby Please Don't Go) with Lennon in the studio. A track they cut as a personal b'day present to Yoko. That as well is a fantastic track and found on the Lennon Anthology.

Posted by: alonestone ()
Date: May 16, 2011 01:26

top: Price, Keys, Gordon, Voormann, Bonnie Bramlett, Delaney Bramlett.
middle: Harrison, White, Moon, Neil Boland, Eric Barrett, Preston, Clapton.
bottom: Ashton, Lennon, Ono.

Boland was Moon's 'minder', Eric Barrett was a roadie who formerly worked for Hendrix. The hand with the cigarette at the far right is unidentified.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 20, 2013 21:19

Mathijs
71Tele
tornandfrayed72
Hey All...quick question regarding the standing of Bobby Keys in the band in the early 70s. It seems that he was a staple in the Stones camp starting with his solo on Live With Me. He toured with them in '70-'73, stayed at Nelcotte, and even (according to Keith in Life) served as Mick's best man in his wedding to Bianca in '71. He was obviously tight with Keith too...so what happened? I know the bathtub story on the European tour in '73 caused him to be given the boot from the tour, and that he didn't tour with them again until '89, but given his prior standing that seems pretty harsh. Anybody know more of the story?

He came out on the '81 tour to play Brown Sugar, but that's all.

BS and Let it Bleed.

Bobby was kicked out of the '73 tour because he was too deep into heroin, and the champaign bad in Rotterdam was the limit for Jagger. He was supposed to play several shows on the '75 tour, but had obligations with (if I remember correctly) Joe Cocker.

Mathijs

(BV sorry I didn't realize this is an old thread. Sorry for posting on it)

[gloriousnoise.com] <<<<<< About Bobby's champagne bath.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-20 21:28 by triceratops.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 20, 2013 21:23

I like the story about him showing Charlie how to play VB......FUNNY

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 20, 2013 21:28

Bobby is my favorite Rolling Stone... He is the star of Exile. Yes he's a bad boy among some very bad boys... I am so glad to have seen him once again on this tour and can hardly wait for Philly.. If he were left out I wouldn't buy tickets, he's the best soloist on their stage, that's a fact... Long live Bobby Keys!!!!!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home