Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Deep Purple
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 18, 2013 21:20

spoke with Ian Gillan the other day - lovely guy - thought I would share -

[www.noisecreep.com]

Re: OT - Deep Purple
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 18, 2013 21:44

Good one Chris. Am tempted to see them at the Roundhouse in London but not sure what they will be like without Jon Lord and Ritchie Blackmore.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-19 15:19 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 18, 2013 21:46

Silver Dagger
Good one Chris. Am tempted to see them at the Roundhouse in London but not sure what they will be like with the Jon Lord and Ritchie Blackmore.

You certainly mean withOUT Lord and Blackmore. I'm sure there are threads like Jones/Taylor/Wood and Hopkins/McLagan/Leavell on these issues on Deep Purple websites...

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: March 18, 2013 21:55

hbwriter, here's a video you may enjoy. Deep Purple with Philip Sayce (a guitarist you saw awhile ago, we had a discussion about him one time here):

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 18, 2013 22:01

Had the pleasure of meeting Ian Gillan back in the mid 80's. I was doing a photo shoot for a friend who was a huge Gillan fan and had managed to get himself on the guests list, he wanted me to take photo of him with Gillan and his fraedt-shirt. He was a true gent, no hint of ego, he took us to a room back stage and said take as many a you like. When we had finished he asked if I nted to stand at the edge of the stage to take photos! Top bloke and great singer.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 18, 2013 22:51

I too had the pleasure to meet him after a concert in Koln 1996. Indeed a regular guy. I hope the new album is a cracker. Though I'm not too impressed with the first song released, already on the highway star site for those interested. Also, I'm a big Blackmore fan but I will say they're doing fine with Steve Morse. And Don Airey ain't a bad replacement for Jon. They were friends also if I'm not mistaken. At any rate they're still a great band. I definately recommend seeing their concerts.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 18, 2013 22:52

Thanks Chris ...great as always ..............................

B.t.w. It's Cliff Bennett & The Rebel Rousers winking smiley

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: March 19, 2013 01:40

Groovy.

I am one of the few people who likes the Born Again album he cut with Black Sabbath.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 19, 2013 01:55

Oh the tour where he apparently damaged his stellar voice never to get it back? Just read about the other day in YT comments...

@hbwriter - Nice interview, thanks, no video of it this time? Good to hear he's a top bloke...not according to Blackmore who said having him around was like dealing with "Benny Hill"!

That first single is a bit "mellow", here is the other "A side", "Hell to Pay" :

A bit "cleanish" too (thanks Bob ?) but the guitar solo is great!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-19 01:58 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 19, 2013 06:20

NICOS
Thanks Chris ...great as always ..............................

B.t.w. It's Cliff Bennett & The Rebel Rousers winking smiley

Nicos- THANK YOU! I submitted it as Rebel Rousers and it was changed - but i just had them fix - nice catch!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-19 16:50 by hbwriter.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 19, 2013 07:40

Smoke on the Water...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 19, 2013 07:56

Nice one hb! Saw Purple twice in Singapore, and it was fantastic! Gillian still has his chops and could still sing Child of Time. Spine tingling!

Posted by: howled ()
Date: March 19, 2013 08:23

Ritchie Blackmore is a huge part of Deep Purple to me and if he's not there then I lose interest.

Preferably Blackmore/Gillan/Lord/Glover/Paice but they couldn't stick together.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-19 08:25 by howled.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: March 19, 2013 09:31

I have their latest album Rapture of the Deep on vinyl and it sounds good. Don Airey has filled Lord's boots well. Steve Morse is technically better guitarist but Blackmore has that Purple feeling on his fingertips. But all in all, Morse is fine replacement.

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: March 19, 2013 15:08

Thanks, hbwriter, I had already read your article at a DP fan site. Very well done. As you can tell from the name I use here, that I am a fan of the band. They are one of the hardest working band, today. Averaging around 75+ shows a year since '93. Yes, Blackmore left that year and Jon retired from the group in '02. Steve Morse and Don Airey have filled some big shoes, admirably.
Living here in the State of Georgia in the US, I have seen and met Steve over 20 times with the 'Dixie Dregs' and his solo band. Plus, 6 of the 8 times I have seen him with DP.
Don Airey has played with everyone. Dig through your record collection. You will be surprized on how many of them he appears on. Ozzy, Rainbow, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Whitesnake, Michael Schenker, Uli Jon Roth,and a host of others. Not to mention the work he did with his friend, Gary Moore.
The tickets in the UK are only $60 US. They are $30 in Poland. Germany, a country they play at least 12 shows a year, tickets are $120. They tend to base prices on their desire to let the average fan afford to see them. How many other groups do that? I just wish they were more popular here. They have only tour here, once since '07. A small tour, at that. With a new album coming out, their first since '05, you would think they would.
Go see them. You will come away a fan. Here is a clip from earlier this month.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 20, 2013 17:49

Wow, just heard "Hell To Pay" earlier today. Had to play it seven times because I absolutely love it. Haven't been this excited by a new Purple song since the Perfect Strangers album. Didn't care much for "All the time in the World" but this one is rocking hard! If there's more of this on the album it will be outstanding. By the way I read there will be a single with these 2 songs plus 2 live tracks released on the 29th. A proper single in my opinion.smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1468
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home