Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Graham Parker any love for him on here?
Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: March 17, 2013 22:38

Just been watching a few things about him that were on BBC4 on Friday night 15th March.
An old Sight and Sounds Concert and a documentary.
I had forgotten all about him even though I have at least one of his cds somewhere.
Any one know whats good and bad in his output ,the concert was pretty good,so I thought i would investigate a bit more.

Re: Graham Parker any love for him on here?
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 17, 2013 22:42

Gram Parsons? (joke)

Date: March 17, 2013 22:44

Title5Take1
Gram Parsons? (joke)
yes and a rather old one at that,
its mentioned a lot in the documentary

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 17, 2013 22:52

adotulipson
Title5Take1
Gram Parsons? (joke)

Or how about Gram Parkinson's? I always used to confuse the two names, even before I actually became familiar with Gram Parsons.

I remember a minor hit Graham Parker had with his band The Shot from the mid-80s.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 17, 2013 22:55

adotulipson
Title5Take1
Gram Parsons? (joke)

Well, I've never heard of Graham Parker before. From the Muzak sound of the backing in the video above, I'm not surprised.

Date: March 17, 2013 22:59

yes it seems he is well thought of by Springsteen and Dylan knew his song
''Hey lord don't asak me questions''.
I was wondering if anybody else had any serious thoughts on his music not his name,seems the Gram Parsons sounding name is attributed to his lack of comercial success in US.
Does not however explain where hes rated in Britain

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: March 17, 2013 23:43

First saw Graham Parker 36 years ago at the Glasgow Apollo (March 19th 1977 if I recall correctly).

A great gig with Southside Johhny and the Asbury Jukes supporting.

Loved his first two albums but then drifted away.

It's great to see the cuurent upsurge in interest (due to the new GP+R album - which I have on CD and sounds pretty good).

Thought the documentary was great - especially the part which let us know what the band were now up to.

Here's a slightly less than frantic version of one his early (Stones influenced) songs.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 17, 2013 23:46

I love early Graham Parker, especially Squeezing Out Sparks and it's promo-only live counterpart, Live Sparks. The Rumour, with whom he's now re-united, are such a great band, too. He was just doing some co-headlining shows with Ian Hunter recently, great double bill.

Posted by: millerman60 ()
Date: March 17, 2013 23:58

Love early Graham Parker. The first four albums(before he ditched The Rumour) are all great. Squeezin Out Sparks is a classic.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 18, 2013 00:15

Title5Take1

Well, I've never heard of Graham Parker before. From the Muzak sound of the backing in the video above, I'm not surprised.

Listen to this then. If this doesn't do it for you, then I'm sorry. (For you that is).

Date: March 18, 2013 00:25

Thanks guys I knew there would be someone on here with some sensible replies to my request

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: March 18, 2013 01:05

'The Heat In Harlem' is an absolute classic.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 18, 2013 02:09

adotulipson
Thanks guys I knew there would be someone on here with some sensible replies to my request

I always liked the album Howlin' Wind with his hit single Hey Lord Don't Ask Me Questions... He was one of those angry young men I liked so much thumbs up

To GuessWho; thanks for Soul Shoes!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 18, 2013 02:10

Been a fan for 35 years, looking forward to seeing him and the Rumour next month. To put it mildly, he was not well-served by major labels, but has done just fine on independent labels where no one tried to make him into a hit machine.

Count on him for acerbic wit and raspy vocals. In addition to his excellent early albums with the Rumour, he has made a series of consistent, understated albums over the last 25 years (The Mona Lisa's Sister, Struck by Lightning, etc.). Start with the Rhino anthology, Passion Is No Ordinary Word, and move out from there.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: March 18, 2013 02:11

His backing band from the mid-'90s up through earlier this year - The Figgs, from Albany, NY - are also well worth checking out. Very influenced by Graham and the Kinks but with a harder edge that suggests both the Stones and the Clash. Great lyrics and ridiculously catchy hooks wrapped up in one ass-kicking package.

The Figgs' Website

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: March 18, 2013 02:13

Defo - the "Howlin' Wind" and "Heat Treatment" albums are ace

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: March 18, 2013 04:50

Big Graham Parker fan here, I like all his music and especially his early stuff, Fools Good and Between You And Me are two of my favorite songs from him. I also give 5 stars to his Your Country cd.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: March 18, 2013 05:48

I too love everything up through "Squeezing Out Sparks", but personally my favorite Geep phase was the albums he did on RCA in the late 80s/early 90s -- "Mona Lisa's Sister", "Human Soul" and (especially) "Struck by Lightning". It was a great period for rock by adults (think John Hiatt) and as far as I'm concerned these albums were at the apex. Of course no one heard them. Subtler and more thoughtful than the "angry young man" stuff, but at least as brilliant.

Yeah I'm a fan.

He's playing in NYC next month with the Rumour -- need to get my ticket. Saw them on the Sparks tour -- whatta band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-18 21:31 by Wry Cooter.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: March 18, 2013 06:39

adotulipson
Just been watching a few things about him that were on BBC4 on Friday night 15th March.
I had forgotten all about him even though I have at least one of his cds somewhere.
Any one know whats good and bad in his output ,the concert was pretty good,so I thought i would investigate a bit more.

I liked him better than Elvis Costello, and they have some similarities I think.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: March 18, 2013 09:05

yes, here

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 18, 2013 18:58

Live! Alone in America on vinyl- Good voice

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 19, 2013 03:56

I have every Graham Parker album ever released! I've always been a huge fan, my first album of his was Stupefaction, which was not long after I got my first Stones album (Some Girls).

My top Graham Parker albums, in no particular order:

Howlin' Wind
Heat Treatment
Squeezing Out Sparks
Stupefaction
Don't Tell Columbus

**edit ** oh yes, we are planning to see him live in a month or so, he's temporarily back w/ the Rumour, his old backing band. I've seen him live at least 2 other times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-19 03:58 by LeonidP.

Date: March 19, 2013 04:42

howled
adotulipson

I liked him better than Elvis Costello, and they have some similarities I think.

Indeed, that's Rumour drummer Steve Goulding on the studio version of Watching the Detectives on My Aim Is True. Rumour guitarist Martin Belmont regularly guested with Costello and the Attractions around 1980-81.

The worst things that happened to Graham Parker's career were (1) My Aim Is True and (2) the destruction of the master tapes of Stick to Me. Just as Parker was about to break in America, along came My Aim Is True in the summer of 1977 to siphon off whatever mainstream rock press attention that Parker was getting. Later that summer, the backing came off the master tapes of Parker's next studio album, Stick to Me, forcing Parker and the Rumour to re-record and remix the entire album in six days. Supposedly, the original master version of Watch the Moon Come Down was killer!

Date: March 19, 2013 10:08

LeonidP
I have every Graham Parker album ever released! I've always been a huge fan, my first album of his was Stupefaction, which was not long after I got my first Stones album (Some Girls).

Howlin' Wind
Heat Treatment
Squeezing Out Sparks
Stupefaction
Don't Tell Columbus

**edit ** oh yes, we are planning to see him live in a month or so, he's temporarily back w/ the Rumour, his old backing band. I've seen him live at least 2 other times.

Nice to have a constructive view I was aware of the first 3 you mention but not familiar with Stuperfaction or Don't Tell Columbus.
Seems to be a couple of official bootleg sets around too, I might try and get one of them.

Date: March 19, 2013 10:26

adotulipson
LeonidP

Howlin' Wind
Heat Treatment
Squeezing Out Sparks
Stupefaction
Don't Tell Columbus

Nice to have a constructive view I was aware of the first 3 you mention but not familiar with Stuperfaction or Don't Tell Columbus.
Seems to be a couple of official bootleg sets around too, I might try and get one of them.

Actually, there is no album called Stupefaction. The album is The Up Escalator (with Nicky Hopkins on piano). Stupefaction was the lead single.

Date: March 19, 2013 11:01

I had a few of his albums; the obligatory "Sparks" album. But he was always my least favorite of the 3 Angry Young Men, who seemed to come along at the same time: Costello, Joe Jackson and Parker.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 19, 2013 11:09

GuessWho
First saw Graham Parker 36 years ago at the Glasgow Apollo (March 19th 1977 if I recall correctly).

A great gig with Southside Johhny and the Asbury Jukes supporting.

Loved his first two albums but then drifted away.

It's great to see the cuurent upsurge in interest (due to the new GP+R album - which I have on CD and sounds pretty good).

Likely due to the "This is 40" Jude Apatow movie where he's well featured too!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 19, 2013 14:01

Graham Parker is one of the best British songwriters ever, if you ask me. I used to see him a lot at the Roundhouse in London just before and then around the punk era. I always thought that Elvis Costello and Joe Jackson copped a lot off him - Costello definitely did up to the Armed Forces album.

Squeezing Out Sparks was his real moment of genius although he's been pretty consistent right up to today. The latest album Three Chords Good is one of his best and as good as anything of those first four magnificent records.

This one is an absolute tearkerin' classic.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 19, 2013 20:00

LeonidP

Howlin' Wind
Heat Treatment
Squeezing Out Sparks
Stupefaction
Don't Tell Columbus

I have the first 3 and saw him several times late '70's. Always loved the demo of Between You and Me and many others
I've also got an album Stick To Me with a blinding version of I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down

So...yes there is love here for GP here!

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 19, 2013 20:16

Silver Dagger
Graham Parker is one of the best British songwriters ever, if you ask me. I used to see him a lot at the Roundhouse in London just before and then around the punk era. I always thought that Elvis Costello and Joe Jackson copped a lot off him - Costello definitely did up to the Armed Forces album.

Squeezing Out Sparks was his real moment of genius although he's been pretty consistent right up to today. The latest album Three Chords Good is one of his best and as good as anything of those first four magnificent records.

This one is an absolute tearkerin' classic.

Love that song, Silver Dagger. I've only seen him live once, solo acoustic, and he encored with this, beautiful. I'll add one more title to the other suggestions: a live set that I have as a bootleg called Pub Rockin'. It's from '77-'78 I guess (no source info on the cover), must be from a radio broadcast so stellar sound and features great versions of classics like White Honey, Back to Schooldays, Silly Thing, etc.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1680
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home