Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Robert Cray Band at The Bridgewater Hall, Manchester, Friday 15th March 2013
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: March 16, 2013 12:26

Hello,

I had been looking forward all week to seeing Mr. Cray and his band all week, especially after reading Gotdablouse's post concerning a recent RC show.

I decided to drive down to Manchester (done this journey approx. a gazillion times) instead of taking the train and having a drink or two...and 20 miles into the trip I see that my preferred route has a road closure so I sail on down the M6 to avoid that. No problem. At least not until the motorway matrix boards tell me that there are 'queues ahead'. Okaaaaay...

Queues my arse! Motorway closed in both directions and I sat there for over an hour with no mobile reception either. None of my fellow drivers had a Scooby either as to what was not going on, and all the while I was missing the support act (Jon Allen) and beginning to sweat slightly. I did wonder if I had been too smug about having literally the best seat in the house for this show but no, there had been no pre-match showboating just anticipation: no mate, this was just a traffic jam, hah-hah!

Anyway it clears and I drive at a fair rate, park and run like Forrest to arrive at The Bridgewater at 8.35pm which is both 5 minutes after Bob starts and a minor miracle in itself. Of course I cannot waltz to my seat until the first song ends so I get the pleasure of seeing it via CCTV. Close but no cigar, hah-hah!

Anyway the other 90% of the show was just wonderful. The man's touch and control on any of his three Strats was something else, and of course his three band-mates were top-drawer too and there is plenty of between song patter and general bonhomie. Oh yeah, and the bloke can sing a bit too!
The audience was respectful and appreciative rather than raucous but the 90 minutes raced away and after the obligatory encore it was time to brave a free-flowing motorway home.

Thing is, as a Bob Cray-newbie I have no clue as to where to start so I'd welcome any advice both for a live set as well as studio work. How about...

[www.amazon.co.uk]

I'm all ears!

Cheers,

Simon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-16 13:08 by SimonN.

Re: O/T Robert Cray Band at The Bridgewater Hall, Manchester, Friday 15th March 2013
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 16, 2013 12:39

Simon, thanks for your reports! Always a good read!
Manchester seems to be a good spot for concerts!

Re: O/T Robert Cray Band at The Bridgewater Hall, Manchester, Friday 15th March 2013
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 16, 2013 13:04

Hey that's cool and the hectic trip will provide some lifelong memories! Yeah great strats, the purple one is particularly cool!

Since you mention my post, here's the link for those who had missed it: [www.iorr.org] and my 3D video :

As for stuff to listen to, you could go with his recent "Cookin' in Mobile" or his latest "Nothing But Love". I bought the signed limited edition at the gig actually.

I have a decent recording I need to edit and put on Dime actually if you can wait a bit. That's what he played the other day : [www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: March 16, 2013 20:16

Hi Gotda & Thomas,

Thanks for the comments...I have ordered accordingly!
Man, what beautiful sounds from than purple Strat...just so joyous to hear.
Come back soon Mr. C..

Cheers,

Simon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1562
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home