Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tour based around just one album
Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: March 13, 2013 15:52

Another band celebrating 50 years in the business is Manfred Mann and I went to see the latest incarnation of the band, known as The Manfreds, a few days ago. The band features Paul Jones and several other original members.

The show is based around their album The Five Faces of Manfred Mann and they played virtually every track from that album and a few hits, solo items too. The show was fabulous. It was held in a small provincial theatre seating about 2-300 people, the musicianship was outstanding and all the guys are masters of their instruments, especially Jones who blew the harp like a teenager (he is now 71 years old). The band came out into the bar area during the interval and signed autographs and posed for pictures. PJ even brought a mug of tea on stage with him for the second set!

My question is: if the Stones were ever to base a tour around just one album, which one would you want it to be? It would need to be a mixture of hits, rockers, ballads and require faithful reproduction of the studio sound without resort to backing tracks and trickery. Could the band do it even if they wanted to? My choice would be for Rolling Stones No 2 just to see how they managed on Down Home Girl, What a Shame (great bass lines from Bill on the album).

What would be your choice and why?

Should they join fans in the bar and should Mick bring tea on stage?

Re: Tour based around just one album
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: March 13, 2013 16:01

The most obvious albums would be Exile & Some Girls considering both their popularity and recent reissues. Even though they both contain a lot of great songs it still leaves a lot out! But their catalog is so extensive it appeals to so many different people and eras I personally don't see it being a successful tour except to the die hards and fans of these particular albums.

It would be cool though. My choices would be Brdiges to Babylon just to hear the amount of diversity on that album and how it would sound live...& Exile! Wow...what a concert that would be yeah?

Cool post

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 13, 2013 16:09

So this is based on the fact that were tired of them continually touring the "jumpback" CD?

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: March 13, 2013 16:10

That would be lame

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: March 13, 2013 16:15

Elmo

My question is: if the Stones were ever to base a tour around just one album, which one would you want it to be?

The GRRR! Super Deluxe 5 CD GRRR! box set.

Play all 80+ songs at each show.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: March 13, 2013 17:01

1 album aint long enough if its top dollar, id expect a minimum 2hr gig goddamit!!

Exile
Sticky Fingers
Let It Bleed

thats all i want, not a big ask..

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 13, 2013 17:04

If the stones played 80+ song set a night that would
either kill them or kill me standing and cheering!!!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 13, 2013 17:14

"Faithful reproduction of the studio sound" is not something I would want. Ya-Ya's is their greatest live album because they didn't recreate the studio versions.

For me, it would be loads of fun to hear Goats Head Soup in its entirety. With Mick Taylor on board of course. drinking smiley

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 13, 2013 21:34

I'd like Black & Blue as it is an album that could seriously be improvised upon.

Date: March 13, 2013 21:37

Marhsall
The most obvious albums would be Exile & Some Girls considering both their popularity and recent reissues. Even though they both contain a lot of great songs it still leaves a lot out! But their catalog is so extensive it appeals to so many different people and eras I personally don't see it being a successful tour except to the die hards and fans of these particular albums.

It would be cool though. My choices would be Brdiges to Babylon just to hear the amount of diversity on that album and how it would sound live...& Exile! Wow...what a concert that would be yeah?

Cool post

A possible album could also be Ya Yas - it also got the de luxe-treatment...

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 14, 2013 02:06

DandelionPowderman
A possible album could also be Ya Yas - it also got the de luxe-treatment...

Haha, Ya-Ya's done Vegas style. That would be so lame.

Date: March 14, 2013 13:04

Remember, they peeled off much of the vegas sound for the 50 & counting-shows...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 14, 2013 14:11

And a tour based on just ONE SONG will be THE TELL ME TOUR! and I'm pretty sure they would choose the LONG version ....(4:07 is it...)

2 1 2 0

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1463
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home