Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones - Dutch to English translation request
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 4, 2011 01:56

Any of our friends from Holland got the time to translate this? It's a bit long so no worries if you can't be bothered.

smileys with beer

Re: Stones - Dutch to English translation request
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 4, 2011 02:17

Interesting story told by Mick about TSMR, a lot of work to translate I must say.

I can quote one thing:

We just tried to do something that we like, but this will not implicit that we don't record any R&R tunes in the future.
We still got 8/9 songs left that more sounded like we did in the past, but we will used them for the next albums.

Date: January 4, 2011 02:23

Thanks for that quote. thumbs up

Posted by: Urban Wheel ()
Date: January 4, 2011 11:26

Last parapgraph:

No TV but Film

"But when are we able to see the Stones live again or at least on TV, like in the good old days? Well, I could go on for years with my act, tells Mick, but I don't want to end like Dickie Valenthine. I don't want to repeat myself over and over again. We've been on TV so many times, the fun will go away for the viewers...
..... What about the movie for the Stones, or the solo project for Mick?
are they going to make a similar movie like the Beatles: magical Mystery Tour?
Mick: Oh no, we never been as close to eachother like the Beatles! (ha,ha)

We're just 5 people comming together to make new albums

Interesting is that in the old days, the Stones were allready saying that they never been close to eachother.

Sincerely,

UW

'Doo doo doo Heartbreaker'

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: January 4, 2011 15:51

Apologies for some loosely translated idioms.

WHAT NOW STONES

"THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST" has been on the market for several months and we believe that the dust the Stones made fly with it has already settled somewhat. Still plenty of questions remain. Why this record, that is suddenly so very different from all the Stones have done before? Will they continue in this direction? And where will it end?!

"WE ARE JUST A ROCK 'N ROLL BAND!"
Mick Jagger plainly declares. "THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST" is just an LP! Certainly, it's different from our earlier LPs and it's also different from the next LP we'll make, but it is an ordinary LP! The material on this album is no milestone or anything of the kind. (Eds. We beg to differ with Mick Jagger on that one!) We've only tried to do something we enjoy, with sounds that have never been made before. It really doesn't mean that we'll never do rock 'n roll or R&B again. In fact we didn't put all the songs we recorded on the LP. We have something like 8-9 songs on tape that sound more like our earlier material. Those will be released on future records one or two at a time. We just don't want to limit ourselves to one particular kind of music. We don't just want blues or soul or I don't know what; we want to play all kinds of music. Some fans say we've betrayed our R&B roots, but we can't play only one kind of music just for a few fans! In turn, others want to hear songs like "Lady Jane". The fans that want to hear our earlier music can buy our earlier records! But as I said, we didn't really completely close the door on the things we've done.

LESS COMMERCIAL
Mick thinks that pop is becoming far less commercial and that instead the room and need for more direct emotion are increasing. "What I noticed most clearly about the LP, after listening to it in its entirety, was its spookyness!" he says. But it's not just the record that made the dust fly, its cover also ruffled some feathers. "We did the best we could. It didn't just have to satsisfy our demands, but others had to like it as well. It gave us a lot of work. You had to watch the entire project closely and as you progressed, you had to compromise once in a while. However, there were a few things we didn't want to put into practice for technical reasons and then we were forced to compromise. But on the whole it came out as we wanted."

TV NO, MOVIE YES
But when will we be able to see the Stones live again or on TV like like in those "good old days"? "Oh, I could continue my act for years," Mick moans. "But I don't want to end up like a Dickie Valentine. I don't want to keep on repeating myself and we've been on TV so many times, it gets old for people... Man, we've been on Top Of The Pops hundreds of times! No, the Palladium TV show was truly the last time! And as for live performances, we've planned a few, but I really can't tell when and where they'll take place." And what about the band's movie plans and Mick's own solo movie? Will they perhaps make something like the Beatles' "Magical Mystery Tour"? "Oh no, we've never been as tight as the Beatles. We're just five people who come together to make records. There are movie plans for the band and myself, but I'd rather not discuss them now. As long as the contracts haven't been signed yet, it's better to keep your mouth shut!" And that's all we'll get to hear for now. In the meantime we'll wait in excitement for a new stunt from the Stones.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 4, 2011 17:02

Great translation FreeBird! And a nice interview as well.
HM, how did you get this article btw and from what paper or magazine is it from?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 4, 2011 18:42

Great Quote from Mick:

"Some fans say we've betrayed our R&B roots, but we can't play only one kind of music just for a few fans!"

Date: January 7, 2011 17:11

kleermaker
Great translation FreeBird! And a nice interview as well.
HM, how did you get this article btw and from what paper or magazine is it from?

I bought quite a few late 60's Muziek Expres papers awhile back, one of them had this article and the pictures I posted in my first post in this thread:

[www.iorr.org]

Thanks for the translation FreeBird! Much appreciated!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1384
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home