Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Let Ronnie Wood Play and Sing on the Next Tour
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: December 30, 2010 14:29

Many of us have expressed frustration at the Stones' tendency to stick to a tried and true formula for success: mostly war horses, an elaborate stage, back up singers, and so on. While I am mostly pleased with this arrangement, a few changes would not upset me.

Ronnie has been with the Stones for over 30 yearss and has earned the right to take center stage for at least one song. I would like to see both him and Billy Gibbons play Thing About You from I Feel Like Playing, for instance. Or, Keith and Ronnie could play and sing Happy, while Jagger rested. Or better yet, let Ronnie play one song he wrote and sing a Stones song all by himself.

Ronnie is a great talent. I think this would excite and please most Stones fans.

Re: Let Ronnie Wood Play and Sing on the Next Tour
Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: December 30, 2010 14:43

Haha, I don't think that would work at all to be honest.

Peolpe pay for Stones gigs to see the stones and not just Ronnie.

I hope for a Ronnie Wood solo tour though, even more than a stones-tour.
smoking smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 30, 2010 14:49

haha yourself tongue sticking out smiley - i think it would be excellent for Ronnie to have an LV turn on a Stones LP and in concert.
i'd also love it if the three singing Stones felt like sharing vocals on Am I Groovin You in concert -
that would make a very very hot opener

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-30 16:46 by with sssoul.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 30, 2010 14:55

Why not ?
He could probably sing Black Limousine,at least a stones song he got some credits...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 30, 2010 15:01

All the individual Stones have a track history of good solo efforts - but with a non-Stones band line-up. At the moment the only one who gets to do a solo spot is Keith, and that's restricted to his Stones songs - no Winos or Barbarians stuff.

It's a fun idea in theory to have a Solo Spot - Keith's Winos songs, Ronnie's I Feel Like Playing or earlier things, Charlie's boogie-woogie or jazz friends - even some of Mick's solo work, if he wanted to do that rather than taking a welcome break from being the energetic frontman for a few minutes. But for it to work properly in its own right, rather than as just the Stones doing a cover, they would need to have the right guests (like Billy Gibbons, as suggested) for that part of the show - a lot of work and expense for at most a two-song slot. Maybe worth trying if the right guest(s) happened to be available for a night or two, but not as a regular feature.

This is not a criticism of Ronnie - he's certainly shown us this last few months that he's more than capable of doing credit to a solo slot, but I don't think it's likely to happen.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 30, 2010 15:41

Yees, and Darryl have a wonderful voice btw...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: December 30, 2010 15:48

stones should stuck to theirselves, play blues r&b and a bit of classic stones rock. that´s all. no ronnie, he even can´t sing, and a whole tour with so many dates, his voice can´t stand this, to be serious

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 30, 2010 15:49

Not really! After some 50 years you never change a winning team. Bill Wyman got his fame In Anoter Land and that is about it as it comes to solo raids from others than Mick and Keith. They will continue "as is" for the rest of their lives, simply as that, and that is what I love them for!

Bjornulf

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: December 30, 2010 15:52

It's been an opportunity that they've missed for years. Even just one song (Billy Preston got two!).

Don't think it will happen at this late stage of the game. The shows have become a bit formulaic in recent tours. Would love to get proved wrong, though!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 30, 2010 16:02

This is a great idea - i'd love to see it happen

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 30, 2010 16:31

Woody is such a talent, his songwriting is superb. And one of the finest of slide guitar players. If they ever did Stay With Me, it would bring the house down. However, that said, it would all seem kinda silly and not sit right when you would think about it later; perhaps a song like Breathe On Me might slip through. Like to see Keith do Take It So Hard with the Stones, but, he leaves it for the Winos. So, I guess the same for Woody, save it for the Faces, the New Barbarians, or his solo tours.

Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: December 30, 2010 16:32

Oh yeah I like the idea, I would love to see Ron sing "I Can feel the Fire" with Mick sharing the mic with him on the chorous!

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: December 30, 2010 16:34

teleblaster
It's been an opportunity that they've missed for years. Even just one song (Billy Preston got two!).

Don't think it will happen at this late stage of the game. The shows have become a bit formulaic in recent tours. Would love to get proved wrong, though!

Billy Preston had huge hits with a few songs in the early 1970s - the same cannot be said for Mr. Wood. And dont' forget - Billy could actually sing. Too bad Ron is such a lousy vocalist - he has the look, loves to play - but he cannot sing - ragged moans at best.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: December 30, 2010 17:12

I love the idea, would add another dimension to a Stones show. Don't imagine he'd get away with doing a song from his solo material but handing him the vocals to do a Stones song would be a real highlight of the show for me.

Count me in, I'm all up for it. thumbs up

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 30, 2010 17:15

Only if Mick Taylor can sing "Leather Jacket"...In other words, no.

Date: December 30, 2010 17:23

Shawn20
teleblaster

Billy Preston had huge hits with a few songs in the early 1970s - the same cannot be said for Mr. Wood. And dont' forget - Billy could actually sing. Too bad Ron is such a lousy vocalist - he has the look, loves to play - but he cannot sing - ragged moans at best.

Ron had bigger hits with The Faces in the 70s than Billy Preston did. Your criticism of his vocal style could be levelled at any number of singers including Keith and Dylan, both of whose vocal styles I prefer over Billy Preston's. People pay to hear Ronnie sing and play. I would have loved to have seen Stones shows with a Ronnie spot, such as "I Can Feel The Fire".

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 30, 2010 17:32

i say let him bring his fags on stage and then he can play and singe

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 30, 2010 17:34

I think Jagger can do better.smiling smiley

Posted by: MRJIMMMY ()
Date: December 30, 2010 18:11

i want to hear CHARLIE sing a tune !! drinking smiley

Date: December 30, 2010 19:38

"And now I would like to sing.... but they won't let me!"

(can anyone put me out of my misery and remind me when Charlie said that on stage?)

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 30, 2010 20:06

Ronnie should do more than just sing a couple songs... How about help WRITE a few songs? How about take charge of the guitar reigns? He can handle it. He's such a force when he does the Faces stuff...he's next to Keith and you can barely find him, guitarwise.

Ain't never gonna happen...but its fun to think about.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 30, 2010 21:09

Green Lady, I think Charlie said that at the Circus Krone in Munich 2003.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: December 31, 2010 01:35

teleblaster
Shawn20
teleblaster

Ron had bigger hits with The Faces in the 70s than Billy Preston did. Your criticism of his vocal style could be levelled at any number of singers including Keith and Dylan, both of whose vocal styles I prefer over Billy Preston's. People pay to hear Ronnie sing and play. I would have loved to have seen Stones shows with a Ronnie spot, such as "I Can Feel The Fire".

The only "hit" the Faces ever had in the States was Stay With Me. Preston had multiple hits - you may prefer the Faces to Preston - I certainly do. Would you want Ronnie to sing a Faces song at a Stones' concert? He can't sing - in a small club - okay, he can get away with it, but not much past that. At their best both Dylan and Keith had decent voices - not Woody.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 31, 2010 02:19

Wonder if the Stones ever played/goofed around with any Faces tunes in private in practice/studio? That would be a fun outtake to own!

Posted by: winter ()
Date: December 31, 2010 03:07

There's a couple of things the Stones could do with the talents they have available to enhance a final tour:

Wood's vocals- Ronnie singing a Stones song or well-known blues/rock cover (Muddy Waters/Hendrix/Dylan) would allow Jagger to play harp for a whole song (think Down in the Hole) or rest. I can't see him doing a Faces or Wood solo piece at a Stones' show though. He could also do great old-school Keith backing vox behind Jagger.

Wood's rhythmic ability in open G would allow him to cover the chord-shapes Keith's fingers can no longer play,

Keith could get fitted for a slide to play chords and some of the arthritic challenges would be lessened.

Jagger's harp playing could be more prominant.

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: December 31, 2010 03:24

What makes you think he can play ? cool smiley

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: December 31, 2010 06:56

headly123
What makes you think he can play ?
Evidence provided by members of this board this year proves he can play. I can't say I've seen the same for any of the other members of the "band".

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 31, 2010 11:44

frankotero

maybe he did, but he also said it at a gig we've got on dvd -
one of the 4 Flicks shows, isn't it?

Date: December 31, 2010 12:00

with sssoul
frankotero

maybe he did, but he also said it at a gig we've got on dvd -
one of the 4 Flicks shows, isn't it?

That's probably where I've seen it - but it's a good line so it wouldn't surprise me if he's used it more than once. It's one of those that needs to be brought out just very occasionally for its surprise value: "He can't REALLY be going to..."

Date: December 31, 2010 12:09

Shawn20

The only "hit" the Faces ever had in the States was Stay With Me. Preston had multiple hits - you may prefer the Faces to Preston - I certainly do. Would you want Ronnie to sing a Faces song at a Stones' concert? He can't sing - in a small club - okay, he can get away with it, but not much past that. At their best both Dylan and Keith had decent voices - not Woody.

Fair point. I was referring to the UK, not the States (still think of the Stones as a London band, I'm afraid). The Faces were FAR bigger than Billy Preston in the UK and had more and bigger hits. Woody's a Rolling Stone. Billy Preston wasn't. There's a difference. I thought the Billy Preston features in the Stones shows I saw with him were, in fact, a bit weird and they detracted from the overall experience of seeing the Stones.

I actually like a lot of Ronnie's solo albums, including the vocals. Keith and Dylan have been getting slagged off for their vocal style for as long as I can remamber. Keith, in particular, has been notoriously hit and miss in his live delivery since the early seventies and before that, he didn't get a solo spot. It's still a favourite part of a Stones show for me, though. I remember the official programme for Knebworth in 1976 "Keith will probably sing the first verse of Happy off mike" or similar. He was well known for sloppy live vocals by then. It's still one of my favourite parts of a Stones show, though.

I prefer some of the rough and ready - even ragged stuff - to the computer synced Vegas style shows, regardless of size of venue. I've enjoyed many Stones shows over the years - some more than others. One of the main criticisms has been the predictability of the setlist. For years I would have liked to have heard Ronnie lead a song. No, not a Faces song. This isn't the Faces and I find the Stones' choice of covers puzzling at times (I thought Like A Rolling Stone was a bit naff and Love Train? No thanks). What would have been appropriate would have been something off one of his solo albums, perhaps even one that other Stones featured on, like the aforementioned I Can Feel the Fire.

Pity it won't happen, IMO.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2242
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home