Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Respect "Babylon"
Date: December 30, 2010 13:15

The fact that they put together ":Bridges to Babylon" at the very late stage of the game always elates me. To me this is a top Stonesalbum. I wonder if it not considered among the best albums mainly just because it is a late era album.
It reminds me a bit of "Black And Blue".
"Control" and "Saint of Me" deserve warhorse status.
"Flip the Switch", "Anybody Seen My Baby", "Thief in the Night", "How can I Stop" are on the second level where they are very good Stonescuts; even a bit above reg album cuts.
But the rest is so good too. I'm sure that many people have their favorite track among these songs: "Lowdown" a classic Keith opening riff, but coupled with Jagger vocal; Stones alchemy,
"Already Over Me" good Jagger& Richards ballad; much better than the Voodoo or Steel Wheels ballad,
"You Don't Have To Mean It" - could this be Keith's best Stones reggae number? where the horns worked, and it was beautiful on live stage,
"Might As Well Get Juiced" - okay IMO this experiment' worked great; hats off to Jagger; it wasn't a big deal to have synth in there and that kick drum; they could have boosted the blues angle even more
"Always Suffering" - I'm a sap but I love this ballad.

I don't see the different producers and session guys as distraction because there is a unified sound. That is what I meant by the Black & Blue comparison.

Re: Respect "Babylon"
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 30, 2010 13:18

Dito.

But the same status for me has A Bigger Bang.

Both albums knocked me off my feet (in a positive way).

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: December 30, 2010 13:26

Bridges is IMO better than ABB

I like ABB but it sounds like a band who wants to seem "younger" and is IMO a bit too long.

BtB was a more subtle record

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: andreas ()
Date: December 30, 2010 13:27

i totally agree with you, this is a classic stones album!! i cant understand why people dont like their new stuff? i also like that they change a bit for every new album production wise as well..... the artwork is the only thing that doesnt do it for me......undercover is a great album as wellspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 30, 2010 13:52

I love BTB too. I still remember the very first time I listened to "Out of Control". As the song unfolded, I couldn't believe how good it was. One of those songs that was "love at first sight" and I still love it to this day.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: December 30, 2010 13:53

Great album!!!!!!! Always loved it always will! 4 stars!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 30, 2010 13:57

yeah i'll take it, and keep it too! it's not flawless, but close enough
and most of it shines real strong and fine

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 30, 2010 14:00

not a bad song on it and several gems. One of the most underrated Stones albums ever and their best post-1981. Still listen to it far more than any other Stones release since Tattoo You.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: December 30, 2010 15:19

Gazza
not a bad song on it and several gems. One of the most underrated Stones albums ever and their best post-1981. Still listen to it far more than any other Stones release since Tattoo You.

yep...and personally, i even like MIGHT AS WELL GET JUICED....a song that's been
criticized here often.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: December 30, 2010 15:42

A favorite of mine, I love everything about it.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 30, 2010 15:44

A plain 3 out of 5 album...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: JHM ()
Date: December 30, 2010 16:09

I agree -- for me the highlight is How Can I Stop?, which even Bill Wyman in his pseudo-Mick screed about Life acknowledged is one of Keith's greatest songs.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 30, 2010 16:12

Very, very good album. I like the whole album. The album is different and to me fresh sounding. I think that the people who discount the last 4 Stones albums on this board are cheating themselves.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 30, 2010 19:00

Agree wholeheartedly. It feels like the last time they ventured out and took some risks. While I initially disliked ASMB as the single, it makes sense in context of the record.

Keith hit a trifecta with his tunes -- I love the explanation in Life of how the last two came to be coupled as a medley, in order to not really make it three Keith tunes on an album. Thank GOD they were; How Can I Stop is just stunning, complete with that amazing sax line from Shorter.

The only tune from ABB that would hold a candle to that album is Laugh, I Nearly Died, which I would happily substitute for Always Suffering -- the only truly lame tune on that BTB imo.

T@3

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: December 30, 2010 19:24

Bridges To Babylon is the best Stones album of the post-reunification period. Period. Runner-up would be Wandering Spirit, but it's not a Stones album. 3rd place goes to Voodoo Lounge. Four Licks are in 4th place, whilst A Bigger Bang comes in 5th and Steel Wheels finishes last.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 30, 2010 19:31

odd that keith wrote at such length about his songs for this album in Life. But they are good songs.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 30, 2010 19:33

Thought this was about The Rivers of Babylon as an ode to Bobby Farrell (Boney M.):

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 30, 2010 20:04

sweet neo con
Gazza

yep...and personally, i even like MIGHT AS WELL GET JUICED....a song that's been
criticized here often.

"Anybody Seen My Baby" gets a skip from me but it's smoooooth sailing from there---yes even "Gunface" which gets crapped on a lot here. One of my favorite albums totally. Love the sound, the anger--the entire package.

Date: December 30, 2010 21:16

I am glad so many agree; it is just a great Stonesalbum. But I love what Tea@3 said that it was the last time the Stones they took risks; any kind of artistic gamble. And it worked.

Posted by: MrHappy ()
Date: December 30, 2010 22:52

Seems like the "Bridges" Appreciation Society - but I couldn't agree more.
I'm not a fan of "Flip the Switch," but if I skip that track from the get-go I can sit back and enjoy the best Stones album since "Undercover."
I love the experiments, unlike ABB which sounds like the Stones trying to sound like the Stones.
"Control" is the highlight, but to me, "Juiced," "How Can I Stop" and "Gunface" aren't far behind.
I, too, have seen this album dumped on here often and couldn't believe it.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 30, 2010 23:06

I have always loved BTB! I remember getting it when it first came out, which was no mean feat, living in Caracas Venezuela at the time. But I finally found it, and was captivated by the art work, and music. All in all a great record of the later years. Some classic grooves and I think that when they are in some personal turmoil they tend to release stronger music. I think the battles between the two souls of the band make BTB an interesting release with one foot in the past and another looking at the now. Some very strong songs on it! Keith's are all wonderful! He finally gets another great reggae song after Too Rude... You Might As Well Get Juiced was never one of my favs but it has grown on me, and the live version is fantastic. All in all, I think all the live versions of the BTB songs are better than the studio, except for Anybody Seen My Baby, they never seemed to get that one right live...Mick always sounded a tad bit flat on that one live. But it is a great song! I love the creepy atmosphere and the haunting vibe. Already Over Me is a fantastic song that really reminds me of the Stones in the 70's. Lowdown and Gunface are great rockers with some wonderful guitars.
Yes, this is a great album!

Posted by: JHM ()
Date: December 31, 2010 16:36

I think Keith spent so much time on it in Life because he's trying to get people who didn't buy any albums after Tattoo You (obviously not the IORR crowd) to give them a try -- and this is the best one. (That he had input into -- I agree Wandering Spirit, along with BTB, the best Stones-related album since 81.)

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 31, 2010 17:46

I listen to this album more than Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge and A Bigger Bang combined. But I've also edited it down so it's a better album. And these rankings are only in the aspect of the album, not their career:

Flip The Switch ***** Great rocker, excellent guitar, hilarious lyrics.

Anybody Seen My Baby? **** The 1990s Miss You/Emotional Rescue - I actually like it. The video is even better ha ha.

Low Down ***** Nice riff, a clanky rocking tune, obviously Keith having fun with his A riffage ala Wicked As It Seems/Love Is Strong...

Already Over Me *** The only worthy ballad on this LP but a bit flat. Pales incredibly to Out Of Tears from Voodoo...

Gunface * Horrible. But it is a bit funny. Not sure if that's a good thing though. The lyrics just aren't believable. I've removed this one for the edited LP.

You Don't Have To Mean It ***** Fantastic great tune period. I love this song. The musicianship of this tune is great. Keith could do a whole album of songs of this style and I'd love it.

Out Of Control **** Lyrically a bit weak but musically fantastic. Edit version replaces the LP version.

Saint Of Me *** Don't care for the subject matter, Stones-by-numbers tune. Single edit is better but regardless, this one is removed.

Might As Well Get Juiced - Crap. Tossed off.

Always Suffering - Awful EXCEPT for Keith's guitar. This one has gone missing as well.

Too Tight **** A surprise. A nice rocker. A bit 'ordinary', something they could just toss off any time. But what the hell, it works.

Thief In The Night ***** Fantastic tune that is sweeeeet.

How Can I Stop? ***** This is the sound of a smoky bar with a piano and sax. Possibly the greatest song Keith has ever done. A true pure personification of soul blues or jazz blues or just whatever this genre is called.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 13, 2011 09:05

Keith has not closed every Stones-album with 2 songs...I'm looking forward to the next one with Keith having the 3 starter-numbers..

I wonder how low Keith is holding his guitar riffing on 'Low down'...

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: January 13, 2011 09:17

I like this album - certainly wish they would have played Out of Control in a live setting more often than they have.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: January 13, 2011 09:23

Glad to see BTB gettin' some love here - easily my favorite cd they've released in the past 21 years (other than STRIPPED, that is).

Date: January 13, 2011 11:33

Full respect for the effort, but imo it didn't turn out so well. Some of the songs weren't nearly as good on record as they were live (OOC, FTS, MAWGJ). Some songs are simply not good enough - like Gunface, Always Suffering, Too Tight (I love the first 30 seconds of it, though), and the variety in a way kills the wholeness of what could have been a brilliant album with lesser songs, imo.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 13, 2011 11:44

DandelionPowderman
Some of the songs weren't nearly as good on record as they were live (OOC, FTS, MAWGJ).

You think "Might As Well Get Juiced" was better in it's sole live performance than on record? Interesting.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: January 13, 2011 12:07

Out of Control is just great Stones song. I like this perfomance, espessially on 5.23-5.50 when Mick starts to play the harmonica and Keith approaches him and they play together for a while. It's real spontaneous moment, not staged one like their hug on SHINE A LIGHT

Date: January 13, 2011 12:43

Glam Descendant
DandelionPowderman
Some of the songs weren't nearly as good on record as they were live (OOC, FTS, MAWGJ).

You think "Might As Well Get Juiced" was better in it's sole live performance than on record? Interesting.

It blew the album version away! The NYC-performance was bluesy, raunchy and sexy. The B2B-version is interesting at best, imo.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1804
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home