Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

IORR- The pause between ATPTB and IORR - Why the change?
Posted by: tommyquinn ()
Date: February 4, 2013 16:02

On my original vinyl copy of IORR, there was an awesome transition where IORR started up right as Ain't Too Proud to Beg ended. It was almost like they were interconnected.
I have 2 subsequent copies (CD) of the album, and this doesn't happen, there is a lot of space between the 2 songs. It seems like such a small thing, but I used to get such a rush listening to the original album and hearing those 2 songs slide into each other. Does anyone else know what I am talking about? I played both for my roommate, and he just told me to get a life.

Re: IORR- The pause between ATPTB and IORR - Why the change?
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 4, 2013 16:12

Get a life ... smiling bouncing smiley

I know what you mean, the vinyl versions I grew up with are the basics,
I compare any other version to them. On Still Life I still here big cracks
when I listen to the CD, though they are not there. I should get a life...

Date: February 4, 2013 16:36

The IORR vinyl is filled to the brink with music, hence very short gaps between songs - and this may be the reason for the muddy sound as well...

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 4, 2013 19:36

I agree w/the original post. Those two tracks should segue (is that a verb?).

Date: February 5, 2013 16:08

Thanks drbryant, that was the word I was looking for, one should segue(way?) into the other. They flow naturally, and to have a long pause in between just sounds wrong. I grew up listening to albums on vinyl, and have IORR, GHS, both BB's, SF and others memorized from the first note to the last. Hearing them on CD, I notice the little things. But to me, that small space between songs makes a big difference.
I know many people on this board are in bands. You know when you put a set list together, and you find 2 songs that flow together, and when you finally get it right, it's magic? Sometimes it's the little things that make something that is very good become great.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 5, 2013 16:30

Could the space have been built in to make it possible for the song to start cleaner if you just skip to track 3?

I seem to recall some issue around spacing of the songs on the CD of Let It Bleed... can anyone enlighten?

One of my gripes about old records on CD is that I always maintain that a bigger pause ought to exist between the song that ends side one and the first one on side two.

Back in the day, that served as an "intermission" of sorts. On Abbey Road, the immediate start up of "Here Comes The Sun" right after the cut off at the end of "I Want You (She's So Heavy )" takes away a lot of the impact of the sudden silence.

But now I suppose there's an entire generation who expects it that way.

Date: February 5, 2013 16:48

You are right, it was like an intermission. I would lie on my bed getting into the music so much, then I would have to get up and turn the record over, so it was always like 2 distinct acts, or sets, or whatever. Rushing them together ruined the whole idea of the side 1 and side 2 thing that was vinyl's downfall but also, I think, one of it's charms.
And yeah, I guess that the re-mastering probably took into account what you said about being able to skip to track 3, esp. since it was one of their biggest songs (IORR). In a perfect world, the radio would ALWAYS play Ain't too Proud and IORR together with no pause.
The little things that this generation miss out on- the pops and crackling of a well-played LP, phones that are connected to the house, payphones in general,
newspapers and books, concerts that weren't corporate-sponsered and that had an element of danger- going way off-topic here, and sounding really old.
I STILL want my pause-segue-space-whatever you want to call it to be like it was on the album I grew up with.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: February 5, 2013 18:43

tommyquinn
You are right, it was like an intermission. I would lie on my bed getting into the music so much, then I would have to get up and turn the record over, so it was always like 2 distinct acts, or sets, or whatever. Rushing them together ruined the whole idea of the side 1 and side 2 thing that was vinyl's downfall but also, I think, one of it's charms.
And yeah, I guess that the re-mastering probably took into account what you said about being able to skip to track 3, esp. since it was one of their biggest songs (IORR). In a perfect world, the radio would ALWAYS play Ain't too Proud and IORR together with no pause.
The little things that this generation miss out on- the pops and crackling of a well-played LP, phones that are connected to the house, payphones in general,
newspapers and books, concerts that weren't corporate-sponsered and that had an element of danger- going way off-topic here, and sounding really old.
I STILL want my pause-segue-space-whatever you want to call it to be like it was on the album I grew up with.

Great post!

Posted by: minorbyrd ()
Date: February 5, 2013 19:01

Thanks for this - I first heard IORR taped unintentionally given to me on a tape that had an early INXS album recorded on it - IORR was on the other side & I listened to that just as much. When getting the CD (& the tape had long died), I thought something was wrong (since the tape was dubbed from vinyl). It.'s the usual CD issues.

And agree - How can you go from 'She's So Heavy' to 'Here Comes The Sun' without a quick break? Only option is to press pause, then take a break - unless you have a good turntable!

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: February 6, 2013 00:39

tommyquinn
there is a lot of space between the 2 songs

Not nearly as much space as there is between the end of the track listings and a hidden track on some CDs though.

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: February 6, 2013 06:06

Well good thing vinyl is easy to come by again, especally the Stones.

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: February 7, 2013 18:21

I think read that Let It Bleed was released wrong....it was supposed to be released with no breaks between songs.

Did any of you guys ever hear that?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 7, 2013 20:14

anybody else wish the digital age never happened? i think it started the downfall of western civilization...can't just be a coincidence....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 7, 2013 20:29

T&A
anybody else wish the digital age never happened? i think it started the downfall of western civilization...can't just be a coincidence....

True. On the other hand...free music.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 7, 2013 20:30

treaclefingers
T&A

True. On the other hand...free music.

yeah, but free music is in and of itself partly responsible for the downfall. i'm living proof of that....

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: February 8, 2013 01:13

T&A
When it comes to music I agree completely.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 8, 2013 01:51

tommyquinn

I liked that too.....You could always buy the vinyl and play that again or transfer it to CD, that way you'd get the segue and wouldn't have to get up to turn the album over for side 2 ...........

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 8, 2013 01:53

EddieByword
tommyquinn

I liked that too.....You could always buy the vinyl and play that again or transfer it to CD, that way you'd get the segue and wouldn't have to get up to turn the album over for side 2 ...........
Or reburn your CD using a crossfade

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-08 01:57 by EddieByword.

Date: February 8, 2013 10:26

There are other songs, almost without pauses in-between:

Where The Boys Go/Down In The Hole
Imagination/Some Girls

They kept those transitions on the cds and the digital releases.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1430
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home