Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: new amp
Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: December 28, 2010 22:34

Hi guys,

I want to buy a new guitaramp and I don't know which way to go yet.
I prefer tubes amps. What do you guy think is the way to go?
I have a Strat and a ESP telecaster (Ronnie signature) to play on.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Re: OT: new amp
Posted by: dancingmisterd ()
Date: December 28, 2010 22:46

the marshall 1962 bluesbreaker is a good choice for the budget conscious

Date: December 28, 2010 22:52

What is the average price of the marshall, dancingmisterd? Budget wise I was thinking of around 1000 euro.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: December 28, 2010 22:54

Ampeg gu-12.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: December 29, 2010 01:34

dancingmisterd

??????

A 62 Bluesbreaker is well over $2,000.00, even through the online/catalog discounters. Not exactly "budget conscious".

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: December 29, 2010 01:46

I just got a Fender Blues Deluxe reissue 1-12 40 Watts and it is awesome..I have played 2-12s for years and it was getting a bit heavy over the last 3 years...so I went with this amp...and with my pedals I can get any sound I want.

Coming Down Again

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: December 29, 2010 14:23

A 65 Princeton Reverb will get you a great tone, apartment friendly, and easy to mic if you have a loud drummer. Reverb and tremolo built in of course, and as with most Fenders, throw in a stomp box for those ferocious ovevrdrive moments.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 29, 2010 14:33

RobberBride
A 65 Princeton Reverb will get you a great tone, apartment friendly, and easy to mic if you have a loud drummer. Reverb and tremolo built in of course, and as with most Fenders, throw in a stomp box for those ferocious ovevrdrive moments.

This is the very one i'm thinking on. I am saving money for this purpose. What i do not like is that both reverb and vibrato are not tube driven as in the 65 deluxe reverb

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 29, 2010 14:56

What's your budget? (edit: I see you already posted that)

Where are you going to use it, at home, with a band, etc?

Smaller tube amps (say < 25W) are nicer since they break up sooner and give you that characterisctic tube sound, which is I think what you are looking for. And 25W is already more than enough, even when playing with a band.

For instance, have a look at the Peavey Deltablues series. Or if you have some more money, the Fender 65 deluxe reverb reissue. The Fender HotRod series (and also Blues reissue) seems a good deal, but many players get rid of them after using for a while, since they are very loud (even when playing with a band), and it is very difficult to get a nice tubesound out of them). And they weigh a ton.

And if you're handy, there's a whole DIY world out there, where you can buy a kit, and build your own amp (often based on classic Fender models), for much less money. That's what I did, best purchase I've made in years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-29 15:19 by Koen.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: December 29, 2010 19:45

Koen

For instance, have a look at the Peavey Deltablues series. Or if you have some more money, the Fender 65 deluxe reverb reissue. The Fender HotRod series (and also Blues reissue) seems a good deal, but many players get rid of them after using for a while, since they are very loud (even when playing with a band), and it is very difficult to get a nice tubesound out of them). And they weigh a ton.

I always like to keep at least two stage amps and for years I had a Peavey Classic 30 and a Peavey Delta Blues. They are really similar amps. I think maybe one has a built in tremolo and the other doesn't. The Classic 30 was a 110 and the Delta Blues a 112 but both were 30 watts. I usually miked whichever one I was using but have played indoor venues before without miking. My only real gripe with these amps are that neither one of them has a standby switch. I also bought a Fender Hot Rod Deville 410 back in the Summer. As Koen said, it's really massive. I had the opportunity to buy it second hand for $400/and change and had always wanted a Fender tube amp so I went ahead and bought it. I haven't used it live yet, preferring to stick with the amps that I was used to on stage. It would probably be a good amp to use if I were playing larger venues, but it's tough to get a good sound out of it at low volumes as others have said. It's quite sensitive. That's my two cents on the afore mentioned amps.

I no longer have the Classic 30. I traded it in, along with some other stuff, on a Gibson ES-335. It (the amp) had developed a bit of a buzz or hum over the years, but otherwise was still in good shape. It was always durable and was the amp that I used the most out of the two Peavey's. My decision to trade it was based on the miles and wear and tear I had put on it in comparison to the Delta Blues which had been used less and was in better shape.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-31 22:05 by Tumblin_Dice_07.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: December 29, 2010 20:04

A Fender Blues jr. 15W is all you need.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: December 29, 2010 20:20

It really depends on if you just want to play around the house or if you're giggin' with a band.

5(tube) watts are plenty loud at home. I have three of 'em, all different flavours.
a modded 40 watts Fender Blues Deluxe for gigs or a 100 watts Solid State Solton.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 29, 2010 20:36

@Tumblin_Dice_07: would you mind fixing that quote, I think all you need to do is to add a "[" before "quote]"

So you get all the credit of those excellent points. thumbs up

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: December 29, 2010 21:38

hiwatt!!

Date: December 29, 2010 22:40

Thanks for all the information guys, I apreciated it!!!

For the next year I think I'll only use the amp at home or in a rehearsal place. If gigs will come I can always get a bigger one I think. What you think is good enough to play in a rehearsal room?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: polythene sam ()
Date: December 30, 2010 03:35

Try a Fender Blues Jr. Great tone without pissing off your neighbors.

Date: December 30, 2010 12:05

Thanks, Polythene sam, I thought that one indeed.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: December 31, 2010 22:04

Koen
@Tumblin_Dice_07: would you mind fixing that quote, I think all you need to do is to add a "[" before "quote]"

So you get all the credit of those excellent points. thumbs up

yeah that's what I was trying to do in the first place, sorry about that. I'll see if I can fix it.

edit: I tried fixing it but couldn't get it the way I wanted it, but at least I got it separated from your quote.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-31 22:11 by Tumblin_Dice_07.

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: December 31, 2010 23:24

Look for a used Carr Rambler 1 x 12.

[www.carramps.com]

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: December 31, 2010 23:55

For a new amp, I just got a new 60w Fender Supersonic with the upgraded bass circuit. It truly does is all.

Very happy with it.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: January 1, 2011 01:23

The best tube value around is probably the Epiphone Blues Custom 30. I got one two days ago and I'm in love. It has 5 12ax7s for the preamp, two 5881 power tubes (or 6L6s depending on what year it was made), and even a tube rectifier. It has a gain channel, or some damn good overdrive on the regular channel if you turn it up. The best part is the 15 or 30 watt switch. I'm playing on 15 at home, then gonna switch it up to 30 for our next gig. They discontinued them a few months ago. I got one off Guitar Center online used for $299 USD. You might wanna change tubes, or might not. They come with some pretty harsh sounding Sovteks from the factory I've heard. Mine got changed.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: January 1, 2011 05:07

bustedtrousers
dancingmisterd

??????

A 62 Bluesbreaker is well over $2,000.00, even through the online/catalog discounters. Not exactly "budget conscious".

With the exchange rate what its is, 1000 euros is almost $2000.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1487
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home