Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is it all about romantic memories?
Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: January 26, 2013 10:24

Music reminds us of the good times (and the bad as well). You can hear a track on the radio or stick an album on and it transports you to another time and place, perhaps when life was more exciting or less complicated. An album like A Bigger Bang doesn't touch the same bases so will always come off as inferior, cold or meaningless when you listen to it. Is it possible that many IORReans cannot see the value in more recent recordings because they are blinded by the association of older albums with their own past glories.

Many IORReans probably got laid, got high, got married, got rich etc to a soundtrack of Exile, Some Girls, Tattoo You.

It's possible that those same IORReans associate A Bigger Bang with hip replacements, denture cream, prescription medication, fading sexual urges and collecting their state pension.

It's not a level playing field is it? And would any new Stones album be afflicted by a similar malaise amongst the IORR community?

As a relative youngster I take everything as it comes and enjoy it for what it is there and then.

Just saying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-26 10:26 by BlackHat.

Re: Is it all about romantic memories?
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 26, 2013 11:06

BlackHat
As a relative youngster I take everything as it comes and enjoy it for what it is there and then.

Not a relative youngster, but I still take everything as it comes and enjoy it for what it is there and then.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Re: No, it's the Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 26, 2013 11:35

Rolling Hansie
Not a relative youngster, but I still take everything as it comes and enjoy it for what it is there and then.

Yeah baby! :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-26 11:35 by with sssoul.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 26, 2013 12:12

BlackHat
Music reminds us of the good times (and the bad as well). You can hear a track on the radio or stick an album on and it transports you to another time and place, perhaps when life was more exciting or less complicated. An album like A Bigger Bang doesn't touch the same bases so will always come off as inferior, cold or meaningless when you listen to it. Is it possible that many IORReans cannot see the value in more recent recordings because they are blinded by the association of older albums with their own past glories.

Many IORReans probably got laid, got high, got married, got rich etc to a soundtrack of Exile, Some Girls, Tattoo You.

It's possible that those same IORReans associate A Bigger Bang with hip replacements, denture cream, prescription medication, fading sexual urges and collecting their state pension.

It's not a level playing field is it? And would any new Stones album be afflicted by a similar malaise amongst the IORR community?

Just saying.

Quite possibly some truth in that, but then the inescapable truth is that A Bigger Bang is inferior musically to say Let It Bleed or Beggars Banquet. I think there are a few good songs on ABB, but in general, irrespective of there being a possble bias in play as you say (the joyous youthful memories I associate with LIB or Bcool smiley, it simply doesn't stack up against previous works.

I don't think any new Stones album per se would necessarily have to be afflicted by a similar malaise. I think when you shut your eyes and turn the volume up, if what comes in is truly great to your ears, it'll resonate loud and clear with you just as something of 40 years ago did (and still does). The only difference perhaps being that you might be a little stiffer and creakier trying to leap around your living room to it !! winking smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: minorbyrd ()
Date: January 26, 2013 17:50

I consider myself a relative youngster - Was aware of the Stones around B&B, then Some Girls & Tattoo You hooked me. But ABB just didn't grab me - It doesn't matter how old you are - You don't have to like something because it's a certain band who recorded it, you just more on, listen to what you like then hope that what's released next is better. People will always be fond of certain tracks/albums for a reason, but that doesn't mean they stop paying attention. And I have a lot more faith in the Stones than popular 80s/90s bands who keep going & going then breaking up them reforming etc

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 26, 2013 18:56

The problem with the Stones is they started out great, got greater, took a step down but were still great, then they weren't so great as they started to look and sound backwards. Therefore their fans, I guess fans of more than 30 years, know and expect the level they were used to. They pretty much flatlined musically and emotionally after Steel Wheels. It's all a chemistry thing. You can survive Brian Jones because he'd removed himself from the core. It was tougher to survive Mick Taylor because of the musicianship. It was impossible to survive Bill Wyman because something basic, something at the heart of it was being taken away.

It's not all about romantic memories. It's about musical heights. It's about a journey with a group whose studio achievements, or let's say studio progress, ended almost a quarter century ago.

That's not to say there aren't personal memories attached to the Stones. But those records used to reflect their times. They were like journalism. When they stopped doing that after Some Girls, at least the music was still okay, though rapidly descending, for a while. And then the records became about imitating past ghosts of themselves. Voodoo Lounge was admittedly so, Babylon was a noble but failed attempt to modernize, and you can take almost every song on A Bigger Bang and think, "Oh yeah, that reminds me of...."

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: January 26, 2013 23:20

Great songs are great songs and crap ones are crap whether older or brand new. At 45 I still hear the odd great rock song and know instantly (yes subjectively) and there isn't any romance involved. The same with older classics, they are great songs first and foremost and you might have nastolgia about them but only because you loved music and heard a great song or album.

BUT, as we get older we may have so much music under our belt that it's harder for new songs to create that same buzz as before. The other thing is old Stones song the band were living them, now they get together every few years to "make" something they don't even have to make and naturally loose the rock n roll edge of youth.

Rock has be explored for 50+ years, few ideas are new and exciting now.....

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 27, 2013 00:23

Markdog
Rock has been explored for 50+ years, few ideas are new and exciting now.....

still competent players in the field, but it's all been said and done a million times already.

there's 30 lifetimes of glorious music to be explored outside of rock...i'm about 4 lifetimes into it so far....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 27, 2013 01:41

Your completely right BlackHat....the problem with aging (IMO) is that in most cases I can't get the excitement of the music produced nowadays......the problem is that it looks like I heard it all before........

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 27, 2013 03:36

Markdog
Great songs are great songs and crap ones are crap whether older or brand new. At 45 I still hear the odd great rock song and know instantly (yes subjectively) and there isn't any romance involved. The same with older classics, they are great songs first and foremost and you might have nastolgia about them but only because you loved music and heard a great song or album.

I've been listening to a Canadian oldies station lately. Some of the records they play were hits in Canada, but not in the United States. Occasionally, I'll have the rather odd experience of hearing a song from the 1960s that I've never heard before. Mostly, they suck, which is why they weren't hits in America, but, once in a while, I find that I am still capable of being completely blown away by a record I'm hearing for the very first time.

It's just that I haven't had that experience with any Rolling Stones record, old or new, for at least 30 years.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-27 16:05 by tatters.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: January 27, 2013 07:36

Basically the Stones songs got weaker and weaker which is why their recent setlist was full of the old standards.

Every band can't keep doing great songs forever and other things come into play like their personal lives, money etc.

If a band doesn't need money much then a sort of slackening off often happens.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 27, 2013 08:21

BlackHat

KEITH RICHARDS iN 1977: "You put a record out and then you get the feeling everybody's disappointed with it...They still compare it with this big moment in the backseat of a car 15 years ago...Because a lot of the time with records it's the experiences that people have been through when that record's been playing that makes it special to them...And although they're interested and they'll buy the new record, it doesn't mean as much to them as the one they heard that magical night when they screwed fifteen chicks."
— (Interview with Victor Bockris.)

Posted by: howled ()
Date: January 27, 2013 08:37

15, hey that's not bad.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 27, 2013 08:45

.....YEAH 15 ... doubt he'd even have time ta listen

ROCKMAN

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 27, 2013 09:30

I remember not expecting much, then reading the 5 star review in Rolling Stone, I remember the excitement on this forum when the album was released and the Tour announced. I associate A Bigger Bang with the Tour. With the rain at Churchill Downs, seeing the boys in the lobby of the Four Seasons in Paris, hitting the jackpot on Ticketmaster and landing a $27 ticket to the Beacon Show, grabbing two 9th row seats for Twickenham for 99 pounds after reading about them here on IORR, watching my 15 year old daughter leap over seats to grab a pick Ronnie threw from the B-stage.

All great memories, triggered by an album that, while not a masterpiece, is some damn good rock and roll.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-27 20:42 by drbryant.

Date: January 27, 2013 15:43

Title5Take1
BlackHat

KEITH RICHARDS iN 1977: "You put a record out and then you get the feeling everybody's disappointed with it...They still compare it with this big moment in the backseat of a car 15 years ago...Because a lot of the time with records it's the experiences that people have been through when that record's been playing that makes it special to them...And although they're interested and they'll buy the new record, it doesn't mean as much to them as the one they heard that magical night when they screwed fifteen chicks."

Oh, I see. The problem with Black And Blue wasn't that it sucked, it was that the people who bought it weren't having as much fun in 1976 as they were in 1971 when they bought Sticky Fingers.

Date: January 27, 2013 16:07

tatters
Title5Take1
BlackHat

Oh, I see. The problem with Black And Blue wasn't that it sucked, it was that the people who bought it weren't having as much fun in 1976 as they were in 1971 when they bought Sticky Fingers.

Possibly. The youngster who bought Sticky Fingers in 1971 could well have been married, mortgaged and with kids by 1976.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 27, 2013 16:10

BlackHat
tatters
Title5Take1
BlackHat

Possibly. The youngster who bought Sticky Fingers in 1971 could well have been married, mortgaged and with kids by 1976.

divorced and imprisoned for life, too. don't be so overly optimistic....

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 27, 2013 16:23

BlackHat
Just saying.

That's always a good way to end a post. Folks could think you were actually saying something really important smoking smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 27, 2013 16:32

May I speak of the currrent EST- I got my ass up to watch -Djojokovick defeat Murray. We're talking start time at 3:00 AM- DJ won in 4 sets. Of course it was Sunday - my wife woke up 8:00 and needed to get to church on time. Store is only .5 miles away all I needed was more beer. There was resistance as she had to be church on time ( sounds like a David Bowie Song) Ineeded more beer at the time and she was more concetned about her attemt to get to church at time. I threw 30$ at the floor of the car, I refused to go to church under my conditions, Again I was up at 3:00 Aand and no business being at church. I dislike the folks who pretend that go to church and it redeems their evil doings. I always give money indiscreetly, and I will not be judged if i go to a church with a false pretense- Frick the institution of Church

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-27 16:35 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 27, 2013 16:39

Chris Fountain
May I speak of the currrent EST- I got my ass up to watch -Djojokovick defeat Murray. We're talking start time at 3:00 AM- DJ won in 4 sets. Of course it was Sunday - my wife woke up 8:00 and needed to get to church on time. Store is only .5 miles away all I needed was more beer. There was resistance as she had to be church on time ( sounds like a David Bowie Song) Ineeded more beer at the time and she was more concetned about her attemt to get to church at time. I threw 30$ at the floor of the car, I refused to go to church under my conditions, Again I was up at 3:00 Aand and no business being at church. I dislike the folks who pretend that go to church and it redeems their evil doings. I always give money indiscreetly, and I will not be judged if i go to a church with a false pretense- Frick the institution of Church

Now this is what I call a romantic memory! Beer, church, tennis, and even David Bowie. Bet you won't forget this one, Chris Fountain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-27 16:52 by latebloomer.

Date: January 27, 2013 16:50

Koen
BlackHat
Just saying.

That's always a good way to end a post. Folks could think you were actually saying something really important smoking smiley

Unlike some (not all) contributors on this forum I don't take myself too seriously.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 27, 2013 20:21

tatters
Title5Take1
BlackHat

Well, I cut some stuff for brevity. Here's with the text I replaced above with ellipses:

KEITH 1977: "You put a record out and then you get the idea everybody's disappointed with it. Then two years later you bring out another record and you suddenly realize that they're all holding this other record up and saying,`If only it was as good as this one.' And I know it's not because we're ahead of our time because that's not ever what we're trying to do, it's not avant-garde, no, that's not it. It's just that when you've been around as long as we have, people have got their own fixed idea of what they want from the Stones and it's never anything new, even though they do really want it, they still compare it with this big moment in the backseat of a car fifteen years ago and it's never as good as then. There's so much nostalgia connected with it that you can't possibly fight, so you have to let the record seep into their lives, let them have a good time with it first. Because a lot of the time with records it's the experiences that people have been through when that record's been playing that makes it special to them. [Making a face and putting on a mock upper-class British accent] `It's our song darling.' So that sort of sh*t. And the longer you've been around, the harder it is to fight that one, `cos you got so much other stuff which is somebody else's song, darling. And although they're interested and they'll buy the new record, it doesn't mean as much to them as the one they heard that magical night when they screwed fifteen chicks."

Date: January 27, 2013 20:39

Title5Take1
KEITH 1977: "You put a record out and then you get the idea everybody's disappointed with it. Then two years later you bring out another record and you suddenly realize that they're all holding this other record up and saying,`If only it was as good as this one.'

Exactly, because GHS was not as good as EOMS, IORR was not as good as GHS, and BAB was not as good as IORR. As for the rest of what he said, I think he's really just talking about himself, and about why he'd never be able to get off on a new Chuck Berry album ever again.

Date: January 27, 2013 21:19

Title5Take1
tatters
Title5Take1
BlackHat

Well, I cut some stuff for brevity. Here's with the text I replaced above with ellipses:

KEITH 1977: "You put a record out and then you get the idea everybody's disappointed with it. Then two years later you bring out another record and you suddenly realize that they're all holding this other record up and saying,`If only it was as good as this one.' And I know it's not because we're ahead of our time because that's not ever what we're trying to do, it's not avant-garde, no, that's not it. It's just that when you've been around as long as we have, people have got their own fixed idea of what they want from the Stones and it's never anything new, even though they do really want it, they still compare it with this big moment in the backseat of a car fifteen years ago and it's never as good as then. There's so much nostalgia connected with it that you can't possibly fight, so you have to let the record seep into their lives, let them have a good time with it first. Because a lot of the time with records it's the experiences that people have been through when that record's been playing that makes it special to them. [Making a face and putting on a mock upper-class British accent] `It's our song darling.' So that sort of sh*t. And the longer you've been around, the harder it is to fight that one, `cos you got so much other stuff which is somebody else's song, darling. And although they're interested and they'll buy the new record, it doesn't mean as much to them as the one they heard that magical night when they screwed fifteen chicks."

I agree with Keith to a certain extent. My all time favorite Stones album is Satanic. It's the Stones album I listen to the most. Christmas of 1967 was a magical time for me. in fact, the entire decade of the sixties was magical. On the flip side, there are songs from that era that I don't like as much as later productions. I would take Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, Like A Thief In The Night, Don't Stop, Doom And Gloom, and One More Shot over Satisfaction, HTW, and Brown Sugar any day of the week. I actually can't stand HTW. The "times" definitely have an impact but are not the total story. There are far more sheep in this world than there are shepherds. The masses love Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, and HTW. These songs received a lot of play time.

Date: January 27, 2013 21:34

JumpinJackOLantern
Title5Take1
tatters
Title5Take1
BlackHat

I agree with Keith to a certain extent. My all time favorite Stones album is Satanic. It's the Stones album I listen to the most. Christmas of 1967 was a magical time for me. in fact, the entire decade of the sixties was magical. On the flip side, there are songs from that era that I don't like as much as later productions. I would take Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, Like A Thief In The Night, Don't Stop, Doom And Gloom, and One More Shot over Satisfaction, HTW, and Brown Sugar any day of the week. I actually can't stand HTW. The "times" definitely have an impact but are not the total story. There are far more sheep in this world than there are shepherds. The masses love Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, and HTW. These songs received a lot of play time.

Why don't you ask Joe Namath what his favorite Stones album is and make that one your favorite?

Date: January 27, 2013 21:47

tatters
JumpinJackOLantern
Title5Take1
tatters
Title5Take1
BlackHat

Why don't you ask Joe Namath what his favorite Stones album is and make that one your favorite?

Namath became the first QB in history to throw for over 4,000 yards that season. 4,007 to be exact.

Date: January 27, 2013 21:50

JumpinJackOLantern
tatters
JumpinJackOLantern
Title5Take1
tatters
Title5Take1
BlackHat

Namath became the first QB in history to throw for over 4,000 yards that season. 4,007 to be exact.

Yes, but shouldn't Beggars Banquet really be your favorite Stones album then? It was brand new when the Jets won the Super Bowl.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 27, 2013 21:56

Every successful artist has a golden moment in time when he or she finds their muse, when they say what they have to say. No one escapes that. Not even Dylan. After that it is a question whether what they are doing is inspired, honorable, honest and competent. Whose expectations are they pursuing? Theirs or yours? Are they artists or merely performers? Where that line is drawn may or may not be subjective. Time will tell.

Date: January 27, 2013 21:58

pmk251
Every successful artist has a golden moment in time when he or she finds their muse, when they say what they have to say. No one escapes that. Not even Dylan. After that it is a question whether what they are doing is inspired, honorable, honest and competent.

It wouldn't be inspired. It could still be all of those other three things, but it's the absence of inspiration that signals that their moment has passed.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-27 22:01 by tatters.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1452
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home