Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Small Faces appreciation thread
Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: December 27, 2010 22:24

For me, the Small Faces are up there with the Stones and a handful of others. Their songs were superb and their sound was superb. So there’s that. But (and watch how I weave this thread into the fabric of IORR) there’s also their long association with the Stones.
1) Kenney Jones was Brian’s drummer for A Degree of Murder
2) Steve Marriott and Ronnie Lane appeared on Their Satanic Majesties Request
3) Steve and Brian had tentative plans to work together before Brian died
4) Steve was one of the potential replacements for Mick Taylor
4b) and had been in Humble Pie with Bill Wyman’s friend and protégé Peter Frampton
4b2) who was another potential Taylor replacement
5) Ian McLagan recorded and toured with the Stones
6) Ronnie, Ian and Kenney were in the Faces with Ronnie Wood
7) Ronnie Lane and Ronnie Wood made Mahoney’s Last Stand together
8) Ian Mclagan was in the New Barbarians with Ronnie Wood and Keith
9) Keith gave Steve and Ronnie money to finish their The Legendary Majik Mijits album
10) Andrew Loog Oldham signed them to Immediate
11) Probably something else

So sit back and watch these, safe in the knowledge that you are entirely on topic:

(with Pete Townsend and Keith Moon enjoying themselves)

Sorry to come over all fannish, but weren’t they bloody brilliant? By 1967/68, the Marriott/Lane partnership was up there with Jagger/Richard and Lennon/McCartney and Ian McLagan was a third writer to rank alongside George Harrison and John Entwistle (Up The Wooden Hills To Bedfordshire above is by him). And the sounds they made, with Steve going from playful mockney to primal howl while beating the hell out of his guitar over the supple rhythms of Kenney Jones; Ronnie Lane's buoyant bass and Ian McLagan's swirling, stabbing organ and their - Ronnie and Ian's - lovely, folky voices. And they sound like such fun. Happy boys happy. A band and story you want to be part of, right? There was a reformation but that was without Ronnie Lane and so I'll have no part of it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-27 22:31 by Squiggle.

Re: The Small Faces appreciation thread
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 27, 2010 22:30

Squiggle
For me, the Small Faces are up there with the Stones and a handful of others. Their songs were superb and their sound was superb. So there’s that. But (and watch how I weave this thread into the fabric of IORR) there’s also their long association with the Stones.
4b) and had been in Humble Pie with Bill Wyman’s friend and protégé Peter Frampton
9) Keith gave Steve and Ronnie money to finish their The Legendary Majik Mijits album

12) Made one of of the best intro of a song Tin Soldier

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 27, 2010 22:32

WHAM BAM!!!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 27, 2010 22:35

Rollin´ Over at 0:48

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 27, 2010 23:19

Other associations are:

The Small Faces' Lazy Sunday features a couple of seconds of the riff from Satisfaction towards the end.

Mick gets a namecheck in their last single The Universal.

Later on in Humble Pie Steve Marriott covered Rollin' Stone on Rockin' The Filmore. Humble Pie also covered Dobie Gray's Drift Away and That's How Strong My Love Is. And they wrote a song called Live With Me...a completely different song though.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 27, 2010 23:22

Reunion lip-sync by one of the best bands ever...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 27, 2010 23:25

Love 'em!

Why posters here yap on about the Faces - the Ronnie connection, perhaps? Or was it because they were bigger in the States - and The Small Faces get overlooked leaves me slightly miffed. They were the 1960's to anyone Brit who followed music at the time. Marriott was a sublime vocalist - far more so than Rod. All those singles, man: Watcha Gonna Do About It, Sha La La La Lee, My Minds Eye, I Can't Make It, All Or Nothing and the ultimate cockney knees-up, Lazy Sunday.

Jagger was a mockney - these guys - Maclagan aside - were all from the East End.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 27, 2010 23:30

Squiggle: Are you English? Being a Yank I never heard or saw much of The Small Faces (excepting the subversive Itchycoo Park). I got a good look at them last year with the 'SMALL FACES, All or Nothing' DVD. I came away from it a Steve Marriot fan and will try and dig up more on him. But the rest of the band's appeal leaves me shaking my head. They seem a little UK-centric. Some of the videos are with this older man and it all seems daft, but I don't get it. And I know a teenage guitarist who is a Ronnie Lane nut. Were they popular outside of the U.K.? Because I don't think they made much of an impact here.

Date: December 27, 2010 23:48

24FPS, no, they certainly didn't make a huge impact in the States: like you correctly stated - they were a little UK-centric. But then again, so were the Kinks... and they seem to have a following amongst the Americans here. Going by their appearances on euro shows like Beat Club, I would say the Small Faces had a following in Europe, definitely.

It's also worth pointing out that the early Who had zero impact in the States - by that I mean the 1965-'67 Who that released classics like My Generation, The Kids Are Alright, I'm A Boy, etc. It was only after Montery Pop that Townsend and co got a little recognition.

Date: December 28, 2010 00:28

The little cockney geezer himself - knees up mother brown!

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: December 28, 2010 00:44

I agree completely, The Small Faces were great, although not so sucessful in the States. My ranking of British 60's groups is this :
1.Rolling Stones 2.Small Faces 3.Kinks 4.Who
(I like The Beatles too, it's just that I like these 4 groups more)
To those of you who say "getouttahere", let me remind you that in the period
66-68, The Small Faces were also actually more sucessful in Europe than The
Kinks and The Who. They had both a number no. 1 single and LP in the UK, which is
not true for Kinks or Who. Unfortunately, when they broke up, the Marriott-Lane magic was gone; Humble Pie and Faces were both good, but none of them were great.
I had the great fortune to talk to the group for about one hour at Oslo Airport.
Think it was early '67. They were sitting in the cafeteria and invited me and my friend to join them. Very nice people! They were pissed off with Decca records and very optimistic about their future with Immediate, with whom they had just signed. (Of course, we now know, Immediate also ripped them off.) Here are some of my favourite SF tunes:
1.All or nothing (Belongs to all-time top 10 singles!)
2.Tin Soldier (Intro almost as good as Gimme Shelter)
3.I'm only dreaming (one of an array of great b-sides, including all those
early Booker-T like)
4.Afterglow (Best song off their greatest album Ogdens Nut Gone Flake)
5.What's a matter baby (another great b-side, an old Timi Yuro song)
I highly recommend the DVD that was released 1-2 years ago!

Date: December 28, 2010 00:50

If push came to shove, the Small Faces are probably my No.3 behind The Stones and Beatles. I love Zep, but dont view them as a 60's act - despite the Yardbirds connection and their first two LP's being released in '69 and the Who, well, I like 'em a lot, but the sheer Englishness of The Small Faces just gives them the nod.

Date: December 28, 2010 06:32

Big Al:
Happy Jack got some airplay on American radio. I Can See For Miles, and a B-side 'Call Me Lightning' I liked a lot. The Kinks were on a different level. They were early enough to be part of the original British Invasion and appeared on Hullabaloo and Shindig. Plus they had some monster hits. It was their later work that became more UK-centric. The Who had to compete with the 1967 explosion of British and American Groups. I think it took 'Tommy' and their appearance in the Woodstock movie to elevate them to the American audiences. Until then they were known as the group that blows up their equipment.

Watching the Small Face videos on the documentary I see a group that wasn't sure what kind of band to be. They started out a smart little r&b group then went into all these different directions in an effort to have hit records. Humble Pie with Steve Marriott was quite successful in the States, being bigger than the Small Faces. (Who really are only known in America for Itchycoo Park).

I'm still trying to think of an American group that was big here but not in the U.K.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: December 28, 2010 07:56

Squiggle

Kenney Jones played drums on Its Only Rock ' n' Roll.

I love the Small Faces! I only ever knew of 'Itchycoo Park' for a very long time, until I got 'All or Nothing' on a compilation. That made me seek out more, and the more I heard, the more I loved'em! I've always been a huge fan of the British Invasion, and its a shame that the Small Faces are so unknown here in the US.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-28 08:08 by Keefan.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 28, 2010 09:21

Small Faces was the band without hits (in Sweden)...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 28, 2010 11:46

Big Al
Love 'em!

Why posters here yap on about the Faces - the Ronnie connection, perhaps? Or was it because they were bigger in the States - and The Small Faces get overlooked leaves me slightly miffed. They were the 1960's to anyone Brit who followed music at the time. Marriott was a sublime vocalist - far more so than Rod. All those singles, man: Watcha Gonna Do About It, Sha La La La Lee, My Minds Eye, I Can't Make It, All Or Nothing and the ultimate cockney knees-up, Lazy Sunday.

Jagger was a mockney - these guys - Maclagan aside - were all from the East End.

Great points Big Al. thumbs up

Date: December 28, 2010 12:13

24FPS

I'm still trying to think of an American group that was big here but not in the U.K.

The Rascals, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Tommy James & The Shondells. Come to think of it, The Doors weren't really huge in the UK either. And thinking even more, I cannot recall that any American group was really big in the UK.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-28 13:44 by walkingthedog.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: December 28, 2010 12:52

Does"nt PP Arnold look peachy on Tin Soldier.

Date: December 28, 2010 14:21

walkingthedog
The Rascals, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Tommy James & The Shondells. Come to think of it, The Doors weren't really huge in the UK either. And thinking even
more, I cannot recall that any American group was really big in the UK.

Well, The Beach Boys had 13 top-20 singles on the British Charts throughout the 1960's - so they were pretty popular. Mr. Tambourine Man was a No.1 for the Byrds on the British charts, too. I think some of the early 60's surf instrumentals may have been hits here, too: Pipeline, Walk Don't Run, Wipeout, etc.

Generally peaking, the reason that the U.S. acts had a lesser impact in the UK was because the British acts were so dominant circa 1964-66 - even in the States.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: December 28, 2010 14:36

Absolutely top band, brilliant. Ogden's Nut Gone Flake is an album to rate with Village Green by The Kinks and, as some of you have said above, Marriott had some voice - R'n'B influenced, but with a huge amount of soul in it's own right. Some of the live BBC sessions demonstrate his power and range and it leaves me, a singer myself, feeling entirely inadequate.

They were a huge influence on Paul Weller, Noel Gallagher, Blur, Supergrass and the british mid-nineties scene. And, relevant to us here; do any of you remember a couple of years ago, youtube did an 'Ask Mick and Keith'? I was delighted to hear Keith, when asked which bands he liked, say something like "From an English perspective, I always liked Steve Marriott's mob, the Small Faces". Never realised he'd been a fan.

Ace band, proper.

Declan

Date: December 28, 2010 14:53

The great Alexis Korner and Steve Marriott reworking a Stones classic >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-28 14:54 by Big Al.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: December 28, 2010 15:33

24FPS
Squiggle: Are you English? Being a Yank I never heard or saw much of The Small Faces (excepting the subversive Itchycoo Park). I got a good look at them last year with the 'SMALL FACES, All or Nothing' DVD. I came away from it a Steve Marriot fan and will try and dig up more on him. But the rest of the band's appeal leaves me shaking my head. They seem a little UK-centric. Some of the videos are with this older man and it all seems daft, but I don't get it. And I know a teenage guitarist who is a Ronnie Lane nut. Were they popular outside of the U.K.? Because I don't think they made much of an impact here.

I'm South African but I'm not sure how popular they were here. Itchycoo Park is pretty well known, though. And I think they did quite well in some other European countries (they recorded with Johnny Hallyday and they remind me quite a bit of Jacques Dutronc).
For me they have a wonderful balance of playfulness and seriousness, prettiness and power, with imaginative lyrics slightly evocative of fairy tales in their last couple of years.

Some Small Faces sites:

[www.wappingwharf.com]

[www.makingtime.co.uk]

[www.freewebs.com]

Ian McLagan's site:

[www.ianmclagan.com]

[www.macspages.com] (Mac/Bump Band/Faces/Small FAces)

The Faces site:

[www.the-faces.com]

A Humble Pie/Steve Marriott site:

[www.humble-pie.net]

A Ronnie Lane site:

[www.angelfire.com]

Original organist Jimmy Winston later formed Winston's Fumbs:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-28 17:00 by Squiggle.

Date: December 28, 2010 15:37

Definitely worth a watch

Date: December 28, 2010 15:43

For those who don’t quite ‘get’ the Small Faces due to their Englishness – or whatever else – you may need reminding that they started off as quite a soulful, rhythm and blues act, quite similar in vein to the early Who. This recording was the flip-side to their debut single, Watcha Gonna Do About It.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: December 28, 2010 16:37

Phenomenal band,as were so many of the uk bands then. Marriott,along with Burdon was probably the best white soul/blues shouter of the era,maybe ever. I love 'em.

Here's a blistering radio performance of If I Was A Carpenter

And my favourite SF song,the beautiful The Autumn Stone

And while i'm here a mod classic

What is interesting to me is that in terms of chart positions at the time,The Who were not that much more popular in the States,but they toured heavily there and eventually hit with Tommy,whereas the Small Faces didn't tour and couldn't build on the success of Itchycoo Park.

Date: December 28, 2010 16:51

Big Al
walkingthedog
The Rascals, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Tommy James & The Shondells. Come to think of it, The Doors weren't really huge in the UK either. And thinking even
more, I cannot recall that any American group was really big in the UK.

Well, The Beach Boys had 13 top-20 singles on the British Charts throughout the 1960's - so they were pretty popular. Mr. Tambourine Man was a No.1 for the Byrds on the British charts, too. I think some of the early 60's surf instrumentals may have been hits here, too: Pipeline, Walk Don't Run, Wipeout, etc.

Generally peaking, the reason that the U.S. acts had a lesser impact in the UK was because the British acts were so dominant circa 1964-66 - even in the States.

Oops, I forgot the Beach Boys. They were big, of course. The Byrds were more "one hit wonders", their albums did not sell much in the UK. I think they're great though. And of course Bob Dylan and Simon and Garfunkel were big names too.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 28, 2010 18:06

Silver Dagger
Other associations are:

The Small Faces' Lazy Sunday features a couple of seconds of the riff from Satisfaction towards the end.

Mick gets a namecheck in their last single The Universal.

Later on in Humble Pie Steve Marriott covered Rollin' Stone on Rockin' The Filmore. Humble Pie also covered Dobie Gray's Drift Away and That's How Strong My Love Is. And they wrote a song called Live With Me...a completely different song though.

On the Pie album EAT IT! there is a live version of "Honky Tonk Women" with an introduction where Steve says. "We'd like to do a tribute to the ROOOO-OOOOOO_LLLLLING STONES!"

Date: December 28, 2010 20:33

Would it be fair to say that The Small Faces were the English rock band's 'rock band', much like comedians have a fave comedian who might not have wide appeal?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-28 20:33 by 24FPS.

Date: December 28, 2010 21:27

24FPS
Would it be fair to say that The Small Faces were the English rock band's 'rock band', much like comedians have a fave comedian who might not have wide appeal?

I know what you mean, but I'll disagree on the basis that The Small Faces were huge in the UK - and still have a following to this day. They were probably bigger than the Who and the Kinks circa 1966-67 over here and are probably associated with the 1960's - here in the UK, that is - more so than any act outside of the Beatles and the Stones.

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: December 28, 2010 21:36

Wonderful band I love them. As far as the UK bands go they are up there with the Beatles, Stones and the Who. They were only together for a short time so their was no decline (not counting the reunion) and almost all the stuff is good. Steve is one of the best singers I ever heard.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1566
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home