Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Beats By Dre Headphones Solo
Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: January 7, 2013 19:22

I am thinking about getting the Beats By Dre Headphones Solo and was wondering if anyone on here has them and can share a review or if anyone can recommend a good set of headphones.

Re: OT - Beats By Dre Headphones Solo
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 7, 2013 19:51

Quincy Jones AEGs are my headphones for the cd player.

I hope, at some stage, to invest in Phillipe Starck's headphones too.

Bang & Olufsen make excellent CD players, and televisions, but cannot cut it re: headphones.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 7, 2013 20:49

Do you want good sounding headphones or fancy-looking ones?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 7, 2013 21:03

Koen

This feels like a trick question

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 7, 2013 21:08

Be wary buying headphones made by a rapper/hip hop artist, when they say it will let you hear music the way it's supposed to be heard, they mean bass that drowns out everything else. I bought a pair of headphones off Amazon 5 years ago or so, I forget the name of the rapper, but some rapper supposedly designed them. All the things mentioned on Amazon sounded good, talked about studio quality, etc, etc. Cut to me putting them on and listening to some Humble Pie and being able to hear Greg with extreme clarity, but it drowned out all guitar and quite a bit of the vocals. Whatever gave these headphones their great bass, was apparently built into it, there was no way to turn it down except to play with your EQ settings. But no matter what I did, including turning the bass all the way down and the treble all the way up could not remedy these headphones. At their BEST it sounded like somebody had the bass way too high, at their worst it was just all bass. I had a buddy who liked rap so I gave them to him, and he loved them. But what person who likes rap/hip hop/dance or any other musical genre that relies on heavy bass, and what a person who likes rock music are looking for out of headphones are two different things.

Having said all that I've not tried these particular headphones. They may be great, but when I see headphones developed by a rapper, my first thought is that it's probably going to lean heavily on bass. And in the case of those I had, could not be balanced out.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: January 7, 2013 21:09

The last two sets I've bought have been good but they are noise reduction headphones so you pay extra for that.

Bose Quiet Comfort 3 pricey but very good
GOLDRING NS1000 not as good but lots cheaper

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 7, 2013 21:11

If you want really good headphones and not too expensive go for a Grado or a Shure.
With Beats you will only get a headache for too much money.

Date: January 7, 2013 21:13

NoCode0680
Be wary buying headphones made by a rapper/hip hop artist, when they say it will let you hear music the way it's supposed to be heard, they mean bass that drowns out everything else. I bought a pair of headphones off Amazon 5 years ago or so, I forget the name of the rapper, but some rapper supposedly designed them. All the things mentioned on Amazon sounded good, talked about studio quality, etc, etc. Cut to me putting them on and listening to some Humble Pie and being able to hear Greg with extreme clarity, but it drowned out all guitar and quite a bit of the vocals. Whatever gave these headphones their great bass, was apparently built into it, there was no way to turn it down except to play with your EQ settings. But no matter what I did, including turning the bass all the way down and the treble all the way up could not remedy these headphones. At their BEST it sounded like somebody had the bass way too high, at their worst it was just all bass. I had a buddy who liked rap so I gave them to him, and he loved them. But what person who likes rap/hip hop/dance or any other musical genre that relies on heavy bass, and what a person who likes rock music are looking for out of headphones are two different things.

Having said all that I've not tried these particular headphones. They may be great, but when I see headphones developed by a rapper, my first thought is that it's probably going to lean heavily on bass. And in the case of those I had, could not be balanced out.

This is exactly right....I bought a pair, (not Dre, full disclosure) and to my annoyance the bass is all out of proportion to the rest of the music. It is an awful sound.

Date: January 7, 2013 21:26

Koen

I've been reading through the reviews on Amazon out of curiosity, and many of them, including one of the top rated reviews, seem to think this is the case. Many people seem to think that these headphones don't really do anything that other cheaper pairs can, they're just more stylish and have Dr. Dre's name attached.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 7, 2013 21:35

NoCode0680

Ah, so that's it! the person who mixed the pay-per-view gig must have been wearing them or was plainly used to them.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 7, 2013 22:07

When it comes to headphones there is only one brand for me, Sennheiser. And this has been so since over 40 years. Tried lots of other stuff but always return to Sennheiser.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: January 7, 2013 22:37

open-g
NoCode0680

Ah, so that's it! the person who mixed the pay-per-view gig must have been wearing them or was plainly used to them.

LOL, nah, with those headphones Chuck would have been drowned out as well.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 7, 2013 22:42

Yeah ya should try some of the top range Sennheisers....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 7, 2013 22:47

Rolling Hansie
When it comes to headphones there is only one brand for me, Sennheiser. And this has been so since over 40 years. Tried lots of other stuff but always return to Sennheiser.

But your ears are so old, how are we to trust them?

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 7, 2013 23:00

Anybody who would buy a pair of $300 to $400 headphones, sold like overpriced tennis shoes, made to listen to MP3s is out of their damned mind

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 7, 2013 23:51

I listen to MP3, IPOD, with cheap headphones.

RE: The Bang & Olufsen: more expensive headphones. I prefer kicking back in my room, with the expensive player and the nice headphones. The Quincy AEGs are smooth, but I have fallen in love with the Starcks. I would never dream of walking around Reading, with £300 worth of headphones - you'd soon get mugged.

Date: January 8, 2013 00:49

Has anyone in this thread actually tired Dre's Phones? there is a lot of conjecture. I have them, and they are very good. Love them.
But yes - they are outrageously overpriced. But then so is my favorite band.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: January 8, 2013 01:46

I love my Sony MDR-V6s. Studio monitor 'phones but they block out enough noise to wear on the subway and have a very natural bass level. Great bang for the buck at around $70 and they sound great on the home system as well as the iPod.

Date: January 8, 2013 02:08

treaclefingers

HUH ???

-------------------

Date: January 8, 2013 02:08

Rolling Hansie

Bought Sennheiser HD598 a few months ago and love them.

Scotty

Date: January 8, 2013 02:16

R
Anybody who would buy a pair of $300 to $400 headphones, sold like overpriced tennis shoes, made to listen to MP3s is out of their damned mind

A couple of weeks ago their was a test of rather expensive headphones on Dutch TV. The jury was testing the headphones with MP3 players and Ipods. I said about the same thing as you posted here smiling smiley

-------------------

Date: January 8, 2013 02:24

Rolling Hansie
treaclefingers

HUH ???

you old dog you!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 13, 2013 21:40

I own a pair of Pro's by Dr Dre. Whilst I did have qualms with the hefty price-tag - £350.00, or so - they are the best-sounding, most awesome headphones I have ever heard. They can handle any genre. I really do recommend them.

Date: January 13, 2013 22:21

JohnnyBGoode
I am thinking about getting the Beats By Dre Headphones Solo and was wondering if anyone on here has them and can share a review or if anyone can recommend a good set of headphones.

Solo's are fine, but can sound muffled, apparently. The bass is very good, but the sound can be muddy with some genres. They're probably best for bass-heavy rap and hip-hop, but perhaps not so good for rock, classical, etc. IMO, the Pro's are the best and well worth the investment. Headphones usually only last me a short while due to high usage, but these are incredibly solid and well-built. Oh, and the Stones sound fantastic through them. I'm listening to the Charlie Is My Darling bonus disc, Live In England, right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-13 22:23 by Big Al.

Posted by: mitchmitchell ()
Date: January 14, 2013 00:22

[email protected]
Rolling Hansie

Bought Sennheiser HD598 a few months ago and love them.

Scotty

+1

except they aren't real heavy on the bass line if you love that. I mainly listen to classical and jazz anyway.

Date: January 14, 2013 01:07

Sennheiser headphones are great. I have an in-ear pair I use for my journey to and from work. The Beats are solely for home-use.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1657
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home