Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Anyone heard the "De-clipped" Bigger Bang?
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: October 24, 2011 15:51

There is a "Re-mastered" version of Bigger BAng doing the rounds unofficially where somebody has de-clipped the cd using izotope.

Has anybody heard this, and if so, what are their thoughts?

Re: Anyone heard the "De-clipped" Bigger Bang?
Date: October 24, 2011 15:53

This should be good.

Date: October 24, 2011 15:55

steel driving hammer
This should be good.

The thread or the re-master?

Date: October 24, 2011 15:59

vudicus
There is a "Re-mastered" version of Bigger BAng doing the rounds unofficially where somebody has de-clipped the cd using izotope.

Re-re-mastered? ABB was re-mastered last year, wasn't it?

Date: October 24, 2011 16:02

DandelionPowderman
vudicus

Re-re-mastered? ABB was re-mastered last year, wasn't it?

I'm not sure if anyone has done a side by side comparison between the 2005 and 2009 releases to see if it was infact remastered.
Quite often with a re-release that comes that quickly, the digital master is just checked and re-released rather than fully remastered.

Date: October 24, 2011 16:58

I was thinking of the BB alt takes.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 24, 2011 21:11

vudicus

Can somebody explain to us techno-morons what this means?

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: October 24, 2011 21:37

Hmmm I have a hard time believing in what has been lost in the final mastered cd (dynamics, clipping, etc), you can repair with a software program and bring it back there.

That cd needs a new master made from the original mix. A non compressed mix.

Posted by: R ()
Date: October 24, 2011 22:57

barbabang

Indeed. That could prove fascinating. The pre-release mixes are, for the most part, superior to the final album insomuch as they are neither over-edited or too compressed.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: October 25, 2011 02:09

R
barbabang

Indeed. That could prove fascinating. The pre-release mixes are, for the most part, superior to the final album insomuch as they are neither over-edited or too compressed.

In that case, they should release everything in a "De-clipped" version if it's superior to the content on the final album.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 25, 2011 02:28

ABB got one big fault, is way too compressed!!! It's like Keith had nothing to say about the production and mixing.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: October 25, 2011 02:32

MadMax
It's like Keith had nothing to say about the production and mixing.
I doubt it had anything to do with the mixing (much less the production). And why would Keith do anything about it? Has he spoken out against compression in the past?

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 25, 2011 03:16

Allow me to attempt to clarify a few things...

1. The mix that was de-clipped did not really alter the mix. It brought it to a slightly more listenable level, but nothing you can't achieve by turning the volume down at home.

2. The re-mastered release that came out not too long ago had NO sonic differences from the original mix. IMHO (and I am a nerdy audiophile) the differences were minor and completely un-noticeable on a blind test. Both mixes clip, both were mastered way too loud, both have ONNYA mixed poorly.

If I remember correctly the latest re-release has slightly less clipping, but you will never tell the difference because it was mastered to hell.

This is one of my biggest gripes about the album.. Even the bonus tracks which, on DVD are 48kHz (whereas CDs are 41kHz) are the same mix.

My two cents... Whoever did the mastering just mastered it for CD, then handed that mix to the folks who printed the vinyl and special edition ABB that had the bonus tracks... Its all the same mix, the same master, and there is NO, ZERO, difference between the CD and the vinyl.

Usually the vinyl is superior in sound to the CD, but in the case of A Bigger Bang, they got lazy. Its just the CD master put on vinyl, making the vinyl only worthy of being framed, if that...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-12 06:44 by flacnvinyl.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 25, 2011 03:27

On the recent Singles box set (1971-2006) ABB tracks sound slightly better because they are less compressed (when compared to the album version).

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 25, 2011 04:04

Green Lady
vudicus

Can somebody explain to us techno-morons what this means?

Now I"m confused...I thought the techno-morons WERE the ones that knew what this meant.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 25, 2011 05:06

What about that box, deluxe, jumbo, multi-disc, multi-groovy edition with a real live factory girl included, or, for the girls, a real live naughty-and-wild prodigal-son stud. And a real jig-saw puzzle.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 25, 2011 08:31

Title5Take1
What about that box, deluxe, jumbo, multi-disc, multi-groovy edition with a real live factory girl included, or, for the girls, a real live naughty-and-wild prodigal-son stud. And a real jig-saw puzzle.

Don't they have that in the U2 Achtung Baby Uber Deluxe box? I'm not even joking.

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: October 25, 2011 08:37

Since I've flushed my copy in the toilet, never heard anything about A Bigger Bang, unless it was my own Bigger Bang, a load of shit

Date: October 25, 2011 08:46

treaclefingers
Title5Take1

Don't they have that in the U2 Achtung Baby Uber Deluxe box? I'm not even joking.

That's interesting. But I feel stupid now because I read the title too quickly so that I thought it read BeGGaR's BANquet not BiGGeR BANg. Oops. (People were probably wondering what the frick a factory girl and a prodigal son and a jig-saw puzzle had to do with A Bigger Bang.)

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: October 25, 2011 13:13

flacnvinyl
Usually the vinyl is superior in sound to the CD, but in the case of A Bigger Bang, they got lazy. Its just the CD master put on vinyl, making the vinyl only worthy of being framed, if that...
You have an interesting choice of words. Shouldn't both formats sound good (to the best of their respective abilities) in an ideal world? Personally, I think it's even worse when an LP is mastered properly and the CD is not, because then they know and admit they're doing something wrong. If both are the same they can at least claim ignorance.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 25, 2011 16:07

FreeBird
Shouldn't both formats sound good (to the best of their respective abilities) in an ideal world? Personally, I think it's even worse when an LP is mastered properly and the CD is not, because then they know and admit they're doing something wrong. If both are the same they can at least claim ignorance.

100% agree with this. They should know that most people will go after the retail CD. The ABB CD sounds like it was "locked in". There's no more space left to let the music breath.

Posted by: R ()
Date: October 25, 2011 17:59

flacnvinyl

It's the same with last year's "Exile'" reissue. The vinyl was from the CD master. They actually took "the muddiest sounding album of all time" and made it worse.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 25, 2011 18:36

The album was mastered for CD, and then that master was used for everything. Bonus tracks on the DVD special edition... CD bitrate and depth. HOWEVER, Vinyl has a much shallower depth and noise level. So... Vinyl = CD bitrate and SHALLOWER depth.

In reality, this recording is so d@mn compressed that most of us would never notice the shallow depth and noise floor. So they sound virtually the same, except that with vinyl you get the added noise and slightly less bass (Frequency response was not adjusted to compensate for the vinyl response. It was mastered for 44.1kHz 16bit, not Vinyl which is lossless).

So, from every single possible perspective, the CD sounds better. This has bothered me ever since I bought the record. There is NO advantage to buying this record on vinyl except for the nostalgia/collector factor, which is the rational applied to most of us on this forum.

The audiophile in me knows that the CD sounds better, which it does, only due to the fact that it was not MASTERED for vinyl. There are different EQ patterns that get used to compensate for the highs and lows that are so dramatically different on vinyl as compared to CD. Compare Emotional Rescue from vinyl to CD and the difference on tracks like She's So Cold is staggering. But on this record, there is NO improvement.

Right now I am in the process of moving and my studio is in pieces all over our basement. Once I get moved I would be happy to provide an A/B sample for comparison. Let Me Down Slow on CD sounds full and beautiful, whereas on the vinyl it sounds more 'brittle' with less bass. If you just put the record on, you wont notice. If you listen to them back to back, you will notice.

Date: November 21, 2011 01:36

Are the "new" releases going to be "De-Clipped"?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 21, 2011 19:29

Some (or is it the same) guy did Brussels Affair too...

Date: November 21, 2011 20:45

Before ABB was officially released, I gleaned what I could from other sources, and downloaded a radio broadcast version of STREETS OF LOVE. When I finally got the actual album, I didn't like its mix of SOL as much (yes, I like SOL) because my "radio version" had Mick's vocal more upfront and rawer sounding (even though it was the same vocal performance).

I ended up uploading both versions of SOL onto my iPod, because I like that that slightly rawer version.

But I am curious why that radio version had that rawer mix than appeared on the album.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: November 21, 2011 22:33

When does the plain English translation of this thread come out?

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 21, 2011 22:46

dcba
Some (or is it the same) guy did Brussels Affair too...
why? a bigger bang i can understand but brussels affair doesn't sound bad to my ears at all

Date: January 12, 2013 01:26

Long John Stoner
When does the plain English translation of this thread come out?

We're still waiting........

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 12, 2013 05:51

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2017
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home