Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Once a Stones fan...always a Stones fan.
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 24, 2010 04:15

colonial
It's quite true ..Once a Stones fan..always a Stones fan..It's just something about The Stones..that once people become a fan they never seem to lose their fondness for them.There's different reasons some people who may have stopped going to their concerts or buying their music..but that love and respect they first got for them..it just seems to remain with them right throughout their lives.I don't think I've ever heard anyone say.. I used to be a Stones fan.Its always something along the lines of.. I've always been a Stones fan... ..smoking smiley

I might actually be approaching this point....I hardly ever listen to them anymore. I have no plans of going to see them next time around. I don't wear my No Security varsity jacket anymore, and I've fallen quite behind on their output........I've not picked up L&G, Vintage Winos, Life, Ronnie's new album, the super deluxe of Exile, or the 2011 calendar...........all items that I would have rushed to order the day they came out. Why? I'm not entirely sure, but I do feel like the Stones may have run their course for me. Perhaps some have noticed that I hardly ever even post or sign-on here anymore. After 21 years as a rabid fan, I think I may have reached my zenith.........maybe not. Maybe I'm just in a funk with them, but I feel like I've shelled out all this money onto these people that I deemed to be Gods and for what purpose? I've been left hollow by the thought of it all, like there was no real true pure meaning in any of it, if any of that makes sense to anyone. I don't despise or begrudge anyone their love of the band. I was once there, but quite honestly, I'm not sure that I will/can ever return to the level at which I once was....

I doubt anyone here feels the same as me or will even be able to understand, but for me, I guess I have just reached a point in life (at age 34) where I'm looking for things that leave a more lasting impact on me/in my life. Things that have a greater meaning in general. Something not based in things of this world which no matter how much I acquire or own will never fulfill the inner emptiness I feel......things not necessarily meaning something because they cost $500 a ticket but meaningful because of the thought, care, and love put into them. Perhaps I'm out of touch with reality. Perhaps I live in a dream world, but for me, these are the things I am seeking, and for now anyway, the Stones just don't seem to have any place in it........But again perhaps it is just the loooooooong lull between tours, but I've never gone into this funk before between tours; this utter apathy toward all things Stones, and that alone makes me think that it is something more, something deeper at work this time around.

So perhaps I am the first who might be coming to the point of saying I used to be a Stones fan.....

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: December 24, 2010 04:29

VoodooLounge13
I doubt anyone here feels the same as me or will even be able to understand, but for me, I guess I have just reached a point in life (at age 34) where I'm looking for things that leave a more lasting impact on me/in my life.

I you feel like that, probably a good thing for you. But age has nothing to do with that in general. I've been a Stones "fan" since the early seventies and rock and pop music have had a "lasting impact" on me throughout my life. I have no reason to assume that that will change much.

VoodooLounge13
So perhaps I am the first who might be coming to the point of saying I used to be a Stones fan.....

Maybe not a bad thing, because I think that many people like the Stones and other bands for secondary reasons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-24 04:54 by lsbz.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: December 24, 2010 04:30

VoodooLounge13
colonial
It's quite true ..Once a Stones fan..always a Stones fan..It's just something about The Stones..that once people become a fan they never seem to lose their fondness for them.There's different reasons some people who may have stopped going to their concerts or buying their music..but that love and respect they first got for them..it just seems to remain with them right throughout their lives.I don't think I've ever heard anyone say.. I used to be a Stones fan.Its always something along the lines of.. I've always been a Stones fan... ..smoking smiley

I might actually be approaching this point....I hardly ever listen to them anymore. I have no plans of going to see them next time around. I don't wear my No Security varsity jacket anymore, and I've fallen quite behind on their output........I've not picked up L&G, Vintage Winos, Life, Ronnie's new album, the super deluxe of Exile, or the 2011 calendar...........all items that I would have rushed to order the day they came out. Why? I'm not entirely sure, but I do feel like the Stones may have run their course for me. Perhaps some have noticed that I hardly ever even post or sign-on here anymore. After 21 years as a rabid fan, I think I may have reached my zenith.........maybe not. Maybe I'm just in a funk with them, but I feel like I've shelled out all this money onto these people that I deemed to be Gods and for what purpose? I've been left hollow by the thought of it all, like there was no real true pure meaning in any of it, if any of that makes sense to anyone. I don't despise or begrudge anyone their love of the band. I was once there, but quite honestly, I'm not sure that I will/can ever return to the level at which I once was....

I doubt anyone here feels the same as me or will even be able to understand, but for me, I guess I have just reached a point in life (at age 34) where I'm looking for things that leave a more lasting impact on me/in my life. Things that have a greater meaning in general. Something not based in things of this world which no matter how much I acquire or own will never fulfill the inner emptiness I feel......things not necessarily meaning something because they cost $500 a ticket but meaningful because of the thought, care, and love put into them. Perhaps I'm out of touch with reality. Perhaps I live in a dream world, but for me, these are the things I am seeking, and for now anyway, the Stones just don't seem to have any place in it........But again perhaps it is just the loooooooong lull between tours, but I've never gone into this funk before between tours; this utter apathy toward all things Stones, and that alone makes me think that it is something more, something deeper at work this time around.

VoodooLounge13..I can sort of see where ya' coming from..but I'll never stop been a Stones fan..no matter what..cheers matesmiling smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 24, 2010 05:12

I guess it's like Andy Warhol said - everything is dependant on how you look at it. You could say a person who loved and bought into the Stones for their first 3 albums but has hated everything since is no longer a fan........on the other hand you could equally say that if that person who loved and bought those first 3 albums still loves those albums (And personally I don't see why that's not possible - I can't think of many songs that I fell in love with when I first heard them and and can't stand now), anyway if that person still loves those first albums you could justly, I think anyway, say that person is a fan of those albums and therefore he or she is a fan of the Stones albeit old Stones and despite hating everything they do or represent now......so you have a paradox......paradox in time and space is established as real and inescapable part of the scheme of things so I'm not surprised to be honest that there should be paradox attached to the band that bought you the Biggest Bang........!thumbs downsmiling smiley>grinning smiley<sad smileythumbs up
Admittedly it's hard to justify the label of fan to someone who only likes a couple of songs but what if you're a fan of a whole album ? (Even if it is only one out of 20+) Are you then a fan of the band..? Or is it 15 albums or....why not 12 ..or 7...or.........all of them....every single song....so that's the first thing...what is the definition of a fan.? Where's the line....wherever it is, personally I wouldn't have thought there's many that like something, cross the line into becoming a fan (wherever & whatever that is) and then on reflection think "On reflection this is shit", some maybe but in my experience most people seem to recognise what they like aesthetically pretty quickly and stick with it,(maybe not so true in terms of personal relationships because they can be as we all almost certainly know much trickier). Personally and for those reasons although Colonial's statement might not be 100% true I don't think it's that way out by any means.....for what it's worth, EddieByword

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-24 05:28 by EddieByword.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 24, 2010 05:22

Somewhere out there(not me) lurks a human whose 3 favorite Stones releases are Satanic, Dirty Work, and Bigger Bang....and they consider themselves a big fan. I think statistically this must be possible.

Date: December 24, 2010 05:24

EddieByword
Admittedly it's hard to justify the label of fan to someone who only likes a couple of songs...

I think that one should judge bands at their best level. Good professional reputations can be based on even one track only.

Date: December 24, 2010 05:41

lsbz
EddieByword
Admittedly it's hard to justify the label of fan to someone who only likes a couple of songs...

I think that one should judge bands at their best level. Good professional reputations can be based on even one track only.
Yeah I get your point about that...One song, Hit me with your Rhythm Stick (their breakthrough track)eventually established Ian Dury (In Britain at least) as a cut above most, so yes I agree with that in essence but what I meant really was this....for example for some reason I really really like Hotdog by Led Zepplin but as I'm not really that bothered by the rest of their stuff (Although I'd never decry them, it's just not my cup of tea) I would never call myself a Zep fan....that's the context I meant it in....

Date: December 24, 2010 05:52

EddieByword
lsbz
EddieByword

for example for some reason I really really like Hotdog by Led Zepplin but as I'm not really that bothered by the rest of their stuff (Although I'd never decry them, it's just not my cup of tea) I would never call myself a Zep fan....that's the context I meant it in....

In my opinion Led Zeppelin were not a very good band, but I still respect them for what they could do. That always remains the most important thing. Fan is very relative; as you wrote, a matter of definition. But professional reputation is much independent of the quantity of what you actually achieve. A better angle to judge music from.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-24 05:56 by lsbz.

Date: December 24, 2010 06:32

VoodooLounge13
colonial

Sounds to me (Voodoolounge13) like you're adjusting your perspective to a healthier one..much as I love dancing to Stones music I've never considered them to be Gods....from what you've said it sounds like you've moved away from that position too.....that can only be good because they're not. As John Lennon* once told a fan...."it's just a song". Being a long term fan myself I don't see any harm in buying CDs ,DVDs, tickets (when affordable) etc but ultimately the Stones are an add-on; If my life is out of sorts then the Stones don't mean F*%kall, if my life is in good shape then they are a fine band to dance to....so yeah, personally to me it sounds like you're seeing the Stones from a healthier perspective by understanding you need something more personal and fulfilling. Again personally although I like a lot of what the Stones offer...to me it's still an arms length virtually silent relationship......bit like visiting time at a prison you see on US TV....through a glass screen....but in reality even less personal if the truth be acknowledged...to think it's more than that especially for the band is IMO not advisable..real relationships need conversation to sustain them....There's a communication at a show but it (even the so-called adlibs are rehearsed & repeated) is fleeting.........IMO anyway...EddieByword

* mick said it himself of course....It's only rock'n'roll

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-24 13:58 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 24, 2010 08:42

Well, I can go weeks without listening to the Stones but I don't have any hostility towards them nor do I think I've climaxed my fandom. I've just loosened my grip on the band and focused on other areas of music. Years ago, I was 24/7 about the Stones but that eventually wore off when I wanted to explore other areas of music. Just because I did move on that didn't mean that I had less love for them. VoodooLounge13, I hope you are not confusing that for what you are expressing. But from the sound of your post, it may sound like you may have more things going on in life than just your recent indifference towards the Stones. Is this in any way a reaction to anything else going on? (no need to actually answer)

Regardless, the Stones can make it easy for their fans to give up on them. Before this year, we get bupkis when it came to archival releases. Ridiculous prices to attend a show and warhorse ridden set lists can make it real old, real fast.

I myself, would like to see them live again but if they did call it a day...I'd be happy too. I'd be even more happy if they called it a day and just focused their attention on opening the vaults. I'd just be happy seeing them in whatever capacity they see fit...as a band, in pairs or fragmented. Just seeing them around is fine by me. The Stones and I have come to this point together.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2086
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home