Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Once a Stones fan...always a Stones fan.
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: December 22, 2010 16:59

It's quite true ..Once a Stones fan..always a Stones fan..It's just something about The Stones..that once people become a fan they never seem to lose their fondness for them.There's different reasons some people who may have stopped going to their concerts or buying their music..but that love and respect they first got for them..it just seems to remain with them right throughout their lives.I don't think I've ever heard anyone say.. I used to be a Stones fan.Its always something along the lines of.. I've always been a Stones fan... ..smoking smiley

Re: Once a Stones fan...always a Stones fan.
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 22, 2010 17:05

i used to be a stones fan....until one day they put out a song called Streets of Love.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 22, 2010 17:09

Yep, and once a Fulham FC fan...always a Fulham FC fan..

smoking smiley

Date: December 22, 2010 17:12

StonesTod
i used to be a stones fan....until one day they put out a song called Streets of Love.
StonesTod.."Streets of Love"..I love the song.. and the video to it as well..smoking smiley

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 22, 2010 18:44

Come On

smoking smiley

It´s really nearly the same. You don´t change your football
team when they suck, and you don´t change your band, even if
the band has made 4 studio albums in 20 years.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 22, 2010 19:30

TooTough
Come On

smoking smiley

It´s really nearly the same. You don´t change your football
team when they suck, and you don´t change your band, even if
the band has made 4 studio albums in 20 years.

Only 4 albums studios in 20 years...
TooTough I know it's too tough saying it ...but yes , how come the Stones dried ?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 22, 2010 19:55

For me the Stones are mainly a dear thing of the past and the music is even still daily available and to enjoy. Besides there were some nice things happening during the last year: the Ya Ya's deluxe, the whole (Stones in) Exile thing, PMS being the apex, and recently the L&G Movie in the theatre and (with especially much better colours) on DVD.

The comparison with being fan of a football club no matter how the team is performing is recognizable, certainly when there's glory from the past. I still love the Dutch and Rotterdam club Feyenoord. They were the first Dutch club to win the Europe Cup 1 in 1970 and the World Cup. Those famous years during the second half of the sixties and especially the first half of the seventies are still enough to have heavy nostalgic feelings for that club and its glorious past. The same goes for the good old Stones. So the affinity with that band is for sure a lifetime matter, already going on for at least 40 years in my case.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 22, 2010 20:04

True--and i even like Streets of Love..
Its in our blood...I can think of only 2 or 3 songs that
i don"t like...

So for me i LOVE the Rolling Stones..We think alike...ha.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 22, 2010 20:28

One friend quit the Stones after the Brian era. I don't understand it, but it happens. I follow the Indiana Pacers because I've followed them since they were in the red, white and blue ball American Basketball Association in the 70s, and they were three time champs. It would seem harder to give up those childhood sports teams than it would be to give up on a rock and roll band. We don't get that choice with most of them because they go out of existence.

The Rolling Stones are still performing at a high level, at least on stage. Their Superbowl appearance was a triumph, as opposed to the Who disaster last year that left them looking as if maybe they should have died before they got old. Yes, this has been a year of nostalgia for the Stones, with a lot of material from the 'golden era'. I don't find myself rushing to the store (well, ITunes) to get a new Stones release anymore. I might listen to a new Stones album once or twice and maybe not again after picking off a couple cuts for a compilation. I can feel them reaching the end, and they might be too. The 50th Anniversary Tour is not something they can run away from, but it has to be more than a Greatest Hits event. It will be interesting to see what they pull off.

Posted by: liveatleeds ()
Date: December 22, 2010 21:08

I think it's true - once a Stones fan, always a Stones fan. That's me; I have all their records on every format since vinyl. Why? Because (for me at least) the band always was able to (to a point, at least) go through these phases over the years and hit on so many sub-genres of popular music while still maintaining their own signature sound, while writing killer and often classic tracks. Hard to beat .

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 22, 2010 21:21

hot stuff
True--and i even like Streets of Love..
Its in our blood...I can think of only 2 or 3 songs that
i don"t like...

So for me i LOVE the Rolling Stones..We think alike...ha.
+1

Blinded by love
New faces
And the worst of all time.......Infamy....... (not surprised if someone's got it Infayou publishing shite like this.....ahh...shocking.)....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-22 21:29 by EddieByword.

Date: December 22, 2010 21:46

"Once a Stones fan ..alway's a Stones fan"...in my case..because I become one at a very early age ..ya' could probably say
its "Cradle to the Grave" stuff with me..yea'..smoking smiley

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 22, 2010 22:46

StonesTod

Oh no, not you again !!!!

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: December 22, 2010 22:52

stones tod::"streets of love"--one of their highlights live in 2006

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 22, 2010 22:52

Not the smoothest ride in the world over 50 years, but the best music and nothing to make me feel bitter or treat them unkind.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 23, 2010 00:21

A very broad generalization colonial and very definitely not true in some cases I know of...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 23, 2010 00:37

Havo
stones tod::"streets of love"--one of their highlights live in 2006

what was the other one?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 23, 2010 01:40

'She Was Hot' was another highlight in 2006. I saw people going for a cigarette when 'Streets of Love' was played.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 23, 2010 02:02

The Licks Tour was probably my peak as a fan. It was my first tour as a fan and whilst A Bigger Bang was great, it just didn't excite me in the same way. I'll look forward to the next tour, attend a few shows - of that I'm sure - but the interest has been on the wane, definitely. There is too music out there to be explored and I just can't give my all to these guys anymore.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: December 23, 2010 07:08

I saw Stonestod cry during streets of Love live. It was touching.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 23, 2010 11:38

colonial
It's quite true ..Once a Stones fan..always a Stones fan..It's just something about The Stones..that once people become a fan they never seem to lose their fondness for them.There's different reasons some people who may have stopped going to their concerts or buying their music..but that love and respect they first got for them..it just seems to remain with them right throughout their lives.I don't think I've ever heard anyone say.. I used to be a Stones fan.Its always something along the lines of.. I've always been a Stones fan... ..smoking smiley

<<< I don't think I've ever heard anyone say.. I used to be a Stones fan >>>

You haven't ? You must live an extraordinarily sheltered life in that case. Furthermore, do you actually bother to READ any of the threads on here, the board is absolutely awash with people who appear to have little good to say about the Stones either post 'Brian Jones era' or 'Mick Taylor' era, eras which ended about 40 and 35 years ago respectively. What a ridiculous statement in my opinion.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: December 23, 2010 12:16

paulywaul
colonial

Furthermore, do you actually bother to READ any of the threads on here, the board is absolutely awash with people who appear to have little good to say about the Stones either post 'Brian Jones era' or 'Mick Taylor' era, eras which ended about 40 and 35 years ago respectively.

That does not really count; you could still be a fan of the Stones of those eras. And I'm sure that there are many people who would call themselves fans of famous dead persons, sometimes from centuries ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-23 12:17 by lsbz.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 23, 2010 12:20

...Yep everytime I bite into an apple I think of Eve and that fig-leaf

ROCKMAN

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 23, 2010 14:38

lsbz
paulywaul
colonial

Furthermore, do you actually bother to READ any of the threads on here, the board is absolutely awash with people who appear to have little good to say about the Stones either post 'Brian Jones era' or 'Mick Taylor' era, eras which ended about 40 and 35 years ago respectively.

That does not really count; you could still be a fan of the Stones of those eras. And I'm sure that there are many people who would call themselves fans of famous dead persons, sometimes from centuries ago.

I disagree, I think there are legions of people who USED to like them/adore them (whatever), and then gradually lost their likeness or adoration for the band as a whole because of any particular direction the band took, or perhaps because Taylor gave way to Wood, there are countless reasons. And certainly on this board alone there is no shortage of people who are scathingly critical of most if not all of what the Stones have done in recent(ish) years, if one can judge people by what they say or the views they express, I think they definitely fall into the category of 'once a fan, no longer a fan'.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-23 14:39 by paulywaul.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 23, 2010 17:24

colonial

You could say the same thing about ANY other band. A person who in 1982 was a 10-year-old Flock Of Seagulls fanatic is, for better or worse, going to be a Flock Of Seagulls fan for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: December 23, 2010 18:24

tatters
colonial

You could say the same thing about ANY other band. A person who in 1982 was a 10-year-old Flock Of Seagulls fanatic is, for better or worse, going to be a Flock Of Seagulls fan for the rest of their lives.
or their rodent

Date: December 24, 2010 03:10

paulywaul
lsbz
paulywaul
colonial

I disagree, I think there are legions of people who USED to like them/adore them (whatever), and then gradually lost their likeness or adoration for the band as a whole because of any particular direction the band took, or perhaps because Taylor gave way to Wood, there are countless reasons.

Stones is also a way of life and a profession; my appreciation of that will never change much.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 24, 2010 03:29

colonial

Simply not true at all. I know lots of people who were once Stones fans but who have for many years considered them a joke who should have quit ages ago.

Date: December 24, 2010 03:32

Gazza
colonial

Simply not true at all. I know lots of people who were once Stones fans but who have for many years considered them a joke who should have quit ages ago.

They probably often still play Stones records from the time they think they used to be good, and then they could still be considered fans.

Date: December 24, 2010 03:32

paulywaul
colonial

You haven't ? You must live an extraordinarily sheltered life in that case. Furthermore, do you actually bother to READ any of the threads on here, the board is absolutely awash with people who appear to have little good to say about the Stones either post 'Brian Jones era' or 'Mick Taylor' era, eras which ended about 40 and 35 years ago respectively. What a ridiculous statement in my opinion.
paulywaul..sad smiley ..Rrr..well...Merry Christmas anyway..cheers mate

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home