Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Taylor playing current Stones songs?
Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: December 28, 2012 02:59

First off, sorry if this topic has been covered before, I didn't see anything in my searches.

I was thinking about if Mick Taylor was to have a larger roll in a 2013 tour and that got me thinking about what Stones songs, post-Taylor, that would be awesome to hear him add his guitar. I have a hard time seeing Taylor playing on a song like You Got Me Rocking or Rough Justice. Actually, I'm having a tough time imagining him playing ANY of the Ronnie Wood era songs.

Re: Mick Taylor playing current Stones songs?
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 28, 2012 03:11

This already happened to an extent with his guest appearance in 1981, during which he played on several post-Taylor-era songs from Some Girls, Emotional Rescue, and Tattoo You.

Set list including Mick Taylor for guest slot at Kansas City in 1981:
Let Me Go
Time is on My Side
Beast of Burden
Waiting on a Friend
Let it Bleed
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Band Introduction
Little T & A
Tumbling Dice
She's So Cold
Hang Fire
Miss You
Honky Tonk Women
Brown Sugar
Start Me Up
Jumping Jack Flash
Satisfaction

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 28, 2012 03:20

True, but he was hardly audible except for his amp on stage at that show.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: December 28, 2012 03:23

Wow, I did not realize he played the whole show. What a tragedy that there is not a nice boot of this show.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 28, 2012 03:50

spsimmons
Wow, I did not realize he played the whole show. What a tragedy that there is not a nice boot of this show.

Not the whole show, but a good portion of it. Legend has it that MT stayed too long onstage for Mick Jagger's liking, but as he did not have complete control over such matters at that point in time, MT stayed for a good long set. There should be audio somewhere. Here is a clip from December 14, 1981, Kansas City, one of the songs MT played on. See if you can hear his guitar in there somewhere.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 28, 2012 06:31

I don't see why Mick T would have problems with post 1974 Stones songs. Do you think Bill Wyman would have problems playing anything Stones post 1990?

Date: December 28, 2012 10:58

24FPS
I don't see why Mick T would have problems with post 1974 Stones songs. Do you think Bill Wyman would have problems playing anything Stones post 1990?

No, but his "nice" style could have clashed a bit with the Some Girls-tracks. IMO, that was confirmed by his appearance in Kansas 1981. Black Limousine, however, sounded great.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: December 29, 2012 02:50

If you are lucky enough to see MT with the Stones you want to hear him play something that you associate with him. There is no appeal in hearing him on Miss You or Doom and Gloom!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 29, 2012 20:02

If he plays nothing else, he should play " Love In Vain" with the Stones again. I'd love to hear " Can't You Hear Me Knockin" too but that would be greedy of me! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 30, 2012 01:14

BlackHat
If you are lucky enough to see MT with the Stones you want to hear him play something that you associate with him. There is no appeal in hearing him on Miss You or Doom and Gloom!

If Mick Taylor is half the artist he was, then why not hear him on the great Miss You, or Doom and Gloom? He might have something to add you hadn't even thought of.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: December 31, 2012 12:54

24FPS
BlackHat

If Mick Taylor is half the artist he was, then why not hear him on the great Miss You, or Doom and Gloom? He might have something to add you hadn't even thought of.

His melodic lines and sound have changed, not for the better I think, which imo has to do with lack of daily routine or whatever. But when you listen carefully over the years he can virtually play any style, cause he's a very talented player. So there's no reason to assume he cannot play and improve any Stones song...if he only had to.

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: January 1, 2013 01:44

Mick Taylor is a very good guitarist but I don't think he has much input to offer in todays Stones. Those times are gone and he's not the same guitarplayer he once were. But I'm a big fan of Taylors guitarplaying in the 70's.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: January 1, 2013 02:13

Neither are the Stones - not the band they once were. But I'm a big fan of them when they were with Taylor in the early 7-tees. Happy New year.smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home