Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: New Led Zepplelin cd barely makes the US top ten
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: November 28, 2012 22:03

I was really surprised that the new live cd by Led Zeppelin barely made the top ten in the United States. It debuted at #9. I was hoping for a much stronger debut considering it was the first "new" material from LZ in decades.

In comparison "Shine a Light" got to #2 in the UK and #11 in the US, but it wasn't the Stones first new material (even though they are both only live cd's) in decades.

Re: OT: New Led Zepplelin cd barely makes the US top ten
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 28, 2012 22:07

It's a stupid release : why buy the audio of a show when you can have a visual exp of it on DVD/bluray.

GRRReedy Page or GRRReedy label!

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: November 28, 2012 22:08

dcba
It's a stupid release : why buy the audio of a show when you can have a visual exp of it on DVD/bluray.

Because I can play a CD in my car but I can't play a DVD or bluray there. It's also not as easy to rip the audio tracks from a DVD or bluray as it is from a CD. And once ripped, I can put them on my phone and other mobile devices.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: November 28, 2012 22:11

Most copies of the CD come packaged with a DVD or Blu Ray. There are about 7 or 8 different versions of this release, only 1 of which is the 2 CD set. This #9 debut may be taking into account all versions since, I believe, every video version of the concert includes the CDs.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: November 28, 2012 22:15

James Kirk
I was really surprised that the new live cd by Led Zeppelin barely made the top ten in the United States. It debuted at #9. I was hoping for a much stronger debut considering it was the first "new" material from LZ in decades.

In comparison "Shine a Light" got to #2 in the UK and #11 in the US, but it wasn't the Stones first new material (even though they are both only live cd's) in decades.
Not sure what the point of comparing this Zeppelin release to Shine A Light is, but hey, whatever.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: November 28, 2012 22:16

Halup
Most copies of the CD come packaged with a DVD or Blu Ray. There are about 7 or 8 different versions of this release, only 1 of which is the 2 CD set. This #9 debut may be taking into account all versions since, I believe, every video version of the concert includes the CDs.

Ah ha, that makes sense. Sucker that I am I'd probably buy the DVD and the CD version even if they didn't come together, but it's definitely a much better value that way.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 28, 2012 22:47

dcba

Yeah, because we all know The Stones have NEVER done anything like this before.
eye rolling smiley

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 28, 2012 22:53

I've gone into 3 stores to pick up the DVD,(my local Barnes & Noble, Best Buy & Frys) all were sold out. I never had that happen before. Guess I will have to order it from Amazon and wait until I get back from my trip.
...Hmmm, I wonder if Wal-mart will have it?

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: November 28, 2012 22:54

jamesfdouglas
dcba

eye rolling smiley

no, they didn`t do that except for the shine a light soundtrack...

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 28, 2012 23:27

But HD download version is #1 on HDTracks and Qobuz.

Date: November 28, 2012 23:27

Halup

i don't have the numbers in front of me but it only counts the sales for this if its listed as a music release with an extra dvd. if its the other way around and lists it as a video release with a bonus cd you'll have to check the chart that tracks dvd/blu ray sales

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 28, 2012 23:37

The 2CD version has sold 101,000 and debuted at #9, I don't have the numbers yet for the others versions.

Shine a Light debuted at #11 with 36k in April 2008 with a much lower competition around.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: November 29, 2012 01:14

georgelicks
The 2CD version has sold 101,000 and debuted at #9, I don't have the numbers yet for the others versions.

Shine a Light debuted at #11 with 36k in April 2008 with a much lower competition around.

You can't really compare the two. The LZ cd was released on one of the busiest weeks for sales of the year. They had the advantage of being on the market for all the "Black Friday" sales...Sales were up significantly across the board. Beyond that the Stones consistently release all types of new material. This was the first new (I understand it's only a live cd) material in three decades. I'm really surprised Led Zep didn't sell much better.

Date: November 29, 2012 01:27

James Kirk
georgelicks

You can't really compare the two. The LZ cd was released on one of the busiest weeks for sales of the year. They had the advantage of being on the market for all the "Black Friday" sales...Sales were up significantly across the board. Beyond that the Stones consistently release all types of new material. This was the first new (I understand it's only a live cd) material in three decades. I'm really surprised Led Zep didn't sell much better.

first new material in about 3 decades? you don't count how the west was won or the bbc sessions?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 29, 2012 02:17

James Kirk
georgelicks

GRRR was on the shelves on Black Friday. It wasn't selling. It was displayed on a shelf front and center with all the other hot selling CD's at Target....which were all essentially gone....the shelving unit was bare...except for the 8 0r 10 GRRR on display.

Date: November 29, 2012 04:12

ohnonotyouagain
dcba

Because I can play a CD in my car but I can't play a DVD or bluray there. It's also not as easy to rip the audio tracks from a DVD or bluray as it is from a CD. And once ripped, I can put them on my phone and other mobile devices.

Thank you.

Date: November 29, 2012 04:14

BluzDude
I've gone into 3 stores to pick up the DVD,(my local Barnes & Noble, Best Buy & Frys) all were sold out. I never had that happen before. Guess I will have to order it from Amazon and wait until I get back from my trip.
...Hmmm, I wonder if Wal-mart will have it?

Best Buy, Meijer, Target and other big grocery type stores (or to be unfortunately comparative, Wal-Mart-esque stores that may be/are your regigional local big store pre-Wal-Mart invasion...

Date: December 1, 2012 19:22

hockenheim95
jamesfdouglas
dcba

eye rolling smiley

no, they didn`t do that except for the shine a light soundtrack...

"They didn't except for", umm... means they DID.

I guess other than that you're ri- hold on, what's this?

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: December 1, 2012 19:23

keefriffhard4life
James Kirk
georgelicks

first new material in about 3 decades? you don't count how the west was won or the bbc sessions?

Or the 2003 DVD set...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: December 1, 2012 19:47

How the West Was Won was amazing. while this new LZ albums is just forgettable!

Date: December 1, 2012 20:04

dcba

Not sure what the point of comparing this Zeppelin release to Shine A Light is, but hey, whatever. - GumbootCloggeroo

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 1, 2012 21:11

I bought the set with the DVD/Blu Ray/CD. I haven't listened to it yet, as I must say, I'm not all that excited. Reunion shows don't do much for me. Even Cream, who had all their original members back, didn't do a lot for me with their reunion. It's just not the same. It's just not Led Zeppelin to me without John Bonham. Having his son drum is cool, and the only way to do it I think, but it's still not Zeppelin.

Now I realize that sounds a little hypocritical to be a Stones fan and talk about another band not having the original lineup, or to say "it's just not the same" about other bands when clearly the Stones aren't the same as they used to be. But the Stones had the benefit of never breaking up, and their decline gradually happened over the years, where these other bands ended comparably young, and so we remember them that way, then they come back and it's not the same guys we're used to from all the archive material.

Date: December 1, 2012 21:21

Seeing and listening to what I have on youtube I am looking forward to getting this album and the video. To listen to that and think of the Stones live performances over the years, well, there isn't a decline compared to the Stones.

I think you have to keep in mind what it was, really, more than what it seems. It's not a reunion per say, it was a benefit and tribute for Ahmet. Perhaps this will soften your position.

Inspired by the original Stateside memorial concert, Ertegün’s wife Mica and Phil Carson, who formerly managed Atlantic’s worldwide operation, decided it would be a good idea to stage a similar tribute in London, and asked Harvey Goldsmith to assemble a bill of artists to represent Atlantic’s rich catalogue.

On Goldsmith’s radar was Led Zeppelin, and he wrote a letter to each member, asking them to consider reforming for the event. “We were all taken by surprise when they agreed,” said Goldsmith, who promoted their final European tour. “We originally planned two nights at the O2, with each act [including Cream] performing for 40 minutes. But after a week in rehearsal, Led Zeppelin decided to perform a full set — that’s when it turned into a Led Zep-centric one-nighter and we sat down with their individual managers to work out the approach.”

Both Goldsmith and Robert Plant’s manager Bill Curbishley realised that such a concert would be the perfect medium for raising cash for the Ahmet Ertegün Educational Fund, which was set up to pay for annual music scholarships in the UK, America and Turkey, Ertegün’s homeland.

[www.tpimagazine.com]

Date: December 1, 2012 21:32

NoCode0680
I bought the set with the DVD/Blu Ray/CD. I haven't listened to it yet, as I must say, I'm not all that excited.

Pardon me, but why the #$%& did you buy it then???

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 1, 2012 22:15

jamesfdouglas
NoCode0680
I bought the set with the DVD/Blu Ray/CD. I haven't listened to it yet, as I must say, I'm not all that excited.

Same reason I bought Grrr I guess, support my favorite bands. I didn't say there was no merit to it, or that I wouldn't like it. I'm just not all that motivated to watch it is all. The price on Amazon was good, and I figured just go ahead and pull the trigger on it, I own everything else Zeppelin has put out.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 2, 2012 00:58

It's a great set. Highly recommended on Blu-ray! I have one question - it has also been released in blu-ray audio only. Will this give me anything different from the blu-ray video?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:18

drbryant
It's a great set. Highly recommended on Blu-ray! I have one question - it has also been released in blu-ray audio only. Will this give me anything different from the blu-ray video?

Blu-ray audio has the tracks encoded in 24bit/48kHz PCM stereo and 24bit/48kHz DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound.
I think Blu-ray video has the tracks in 16bit/48kHz PCM and 16bit/48kHz DTS 5.1 only.

So you may notice a little difference due to the 24 bit encoding on blu ray audio.

------------

Blu-ray video
DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz, 16-bit)
LPCM 2.0 (48kHz, 16-bit)

[www.blu-ray.com]

Blu-ray audio
DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz, 24-bit)
LPCM 5.1 (48kHz, 24-bit)
LPCM 2.0 (48kHz, 24-bit)

[www.blu-ray.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-02 01:25 by kowalski.

Date: December 2, 2012 01:20

NoCode0680
jamesfdouglas
NoCode0680

Same reason I bought Grrr I guess, support my favorite bands. I didn't say there was no merit to it, or that I wouldn't like it. I'm just not all that motivated to watch it is all. The price on Amazon was good, and I figured just go ahead and pull the trigger on it, I own everything else Zeppelin has put out.

Well the good news is that I have it too, and It's great! If you love what Live Zep is about, you'll love this.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: December 2, 2012 01:24

jamesfdouglas
NoCode0680
jamesfdouglas
NoCode0680

Well the good news is that I have it too, and It's great! If you love what Live Zep is about, you'll love this. I'll admit they don't get their full-on awesome groove until the 4th song, but it's a great document of an amazing show by The Best Rock Band in the World. winking smiley

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:50

This album got 3 out of 6 points
in my local newspaper. I chose to trust it
and not buy it. All the same it got
8 out of 10 points in UNCUT magazine.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1958
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home