Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: question for johnny winter fans?
Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 23, 2010 12:58

In general I agree with all Johnny Winter fans in their euphoric appreciation of Johnny Winter. He is the greatest guitarist I know (technique and blues feeling) and an outstanding musician. Never saw him live, only live on television in 79 during the legendary Rock Palast Event in the Gruga Halle, Essen, Germany. If I said "bad boots" I mean only the sound quality, not the artistic abilities.

keefriffhard4life: "so which of the official bootlegs do you recommend?" All of this series which are soundboard records, if I remember right Vol. I-IV.

Date: December 23, 2010 13:17

RobertJohnson
In general I agree with all Johnny Winter fans in their euphoric appreciation of Johnny Winter. He is the greatest guitarist I know (technique and blues feeling) and an outstanding musician. Never saw him live, only live on television in 79 during the legendary Rock Palast Event in the Gruga Halle, Essen, Germany. If I said "bad boots" I mean only the sound quality, not the artistic abilities.

keefriffhard4life: "so which of the official bootlegs do you recommend?" All of this series which are soundboard records, if I remember right Vol. I-IV.

so 5 and 6 aren't soundboards?

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 23, 2010 13:43

keefriffhard4life
RobertJohnson

so 5 and 6 aren't soundboards?

Yes, I guess.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 23, 2010 13:54

Did someone mention Winter? Here's one of our dear friend kleermaker's great video offerings. Very seasonal it is too.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: December 23, 2010 17:56

StonesTod
his first CBS record - Johnny Winter - is a great place to start. Also, his Imperial record, Progressive Blues Experiment, which came out in '68 is still a great listen.

i'm very partial to some of his work on the Blue Sky label in the late 70's, when he returned to more basic blues. Nothin' But the Blues, White Hot & Blue and Raisin' Cain are among his best, imo. His subsequent work on the Alligator label was a little more spotty, but they all have their merits.

From his "rock" period in the early-to-mid 70's - Still Alive and Well would be the one to get first - features a couple of killer stones covers, too....

I am in complete agreement with these picks. I am very fond of Progressive Blues Experiment but I love it all, Woodstock Experience and Second Winter are pretty great as well.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: December 24, 2010 04:09

paulywaul
keefriffhard4life
i just started getting into him even though i always knew who he was and was even going to see him live in 2009 until the club he was booked at went under.

what cd's would anyone recommend? only 2 cd's i ever see in the stores are WOODSTOCK EXPERIENCE (first johnny winter album and disc 2 is his performance at woodstock) and SECOND WINTER (which i see the regular and deluxe versions)

The BEST Johnny winter album for live stuff is Johnny Winter and

[en.wikipedia.org]

A very good one indeed!

Date: December 24, 2010 04:30

Hairball
All great stuff mentioned above, but as far as live albums I've always been partial to Captured Live from 1976.
Having Floyd Radford on second guitar made for some mean ass shredding from both himself and Johnny.

?

Another good one. Some of this was taken from the 75 Bill Graham "Day on the Green" in late 75. The "day on the green" shows from the Oakland Coliseum featured some of the best bands performing live from 73 to 92!

Day On The Green #1: Leon Russell, Loggins and Messina, Elvin Bishop, Merry Clayton (August 5, 1973).

Day On The Green #1: Grateful Dead, The Beach Boys, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen (June 8, 1974).
Day On The Green #2 & 3: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, The Band, Joe Walsh, Jesse Colin Young (July 13 & 14, 1974)

Day On The Green #1: Chicago, The Beach Boys, Bob Seger, Richard Torrance, Eureka, Ma Ho Pin (May 24, 1975).
Day On The Green #2: The Doobie Brothers, Eagles, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, Kingfish (featuring Bob Weir) (June 29, 1975).
Day On The Green #3: Robin Trower, Peter Frampton, Dave Mason, Fleetwood Mac, Gary Wright (August 3, 1975).
Called "THE BRITISH ARE COMING" AKA "The INVASION OF THE BRITISH."
Day On The Green #4 & 5: Led Zeppelin, Joe Walsh, Pretty Things (August 23-24, 1975).
(These shows were canceled when Robert Plant suffered serious injuries in a car crash prior to the tour.)
Day On The Green #6: Edgar Winter Group, Johnny Winter, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Earth Quake, Climax Blues Band (September 20, 1975)

Day On The Green # 1 & 2: Peter Frampton, Fleetwood Mac, Gary Wright, Status Quo (4/25 only), UFO (5/1 only) (April 25, 1976 / May 1, 1976)
Called "The British Are Back" show.
Day On The Green #3: Boz Scaggs, Tower of Power, Santana, Jeff Beck, Journey, Nils Lofgren (June 5, 1976)
Jefferson Starship was the originally planned headliner, but were replaced by Boz Scaggs and Tower Of Power.
Day On The Green #4: The J. Geils Band, Jeff Beck, Blue Öyster Cult, Mahogany Rush, Sammy Hagar (June 6, 1976)
Sammy Hagar played much too long, but the crew did an 8-minute set change before Mahogany Rush came out.
San Francisco Kool Jazz Festival Day 1: Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, Nancy Wilson, Harold Melvin, Donald Byrd, Hampton Hawes (June 11, 1976)
(Technically this is not a Day On The Green, but it was in the same location under the same format)
San Francisco Kool Jazz Festival Day 2: Natalie Cole, Smokey Robinson, Staple Singers, Teddy Pendergrass, B. B. King, Archie Bell (June 12, 1976)
(Technically this is not a Day On The Green, but it was in the same location under the same format)
Day On The Green #5: The Beach Boys, America, Elvin Bishop, John Sebastian (July 2, 1976)
This tour marked Brian Wilson's first public performances with The Beach Boys in several years.
Day On The Green #6: Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Loggins and Messina, Renaissance (August 3, 1976)
Day On The Green #7 (planned): Jethro Tull, Electric Light Orchestra, Rory Gallagher, Camel (Camel cancelled) (August 18, 1976).
At the last minute, the concert was moved from the outdoor Coliseum (65,000 capacity) to the indoor Arena next door (19,000 capacity) due to bad weather - thus not considered a Day On The Green.
Day on the Green #7 & 8 (proper): The Who, Grateful Dead (October 9 & 10, 1976)

Day On The Green #1: Fleetwood Mac, The Doobie Brothers, Gary Wright, Steve Gibbons Band (May 7, 1977).
Day On The Green #2 & 3: Eagles, Steve Miller Band, Heart, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Foreigner (May 28 & 30, 1977).
Day On The Green #4 & 5: Peter Frampton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Santana, Outlaws (July 2 & 4, 1977).
San Francisco Kool Jazz Festival Day 1: The Dramatics, Pointer Sisters, Manhattans, Roy Ayre's Ubiquity, Brick, Jimmie Walker (July 8, 1977)
San Francisco Kool Jazz Festival Day 2: Natalie Cole, Little Johnny Taylor, Wild Cherry, Tavares, Mighty Clouds of Joy, John Handy (July 9, 1977)
Day On The Green #6 & 7: Led Zeppelin, Derringer, Judas Priest (July 23 & 24 1977)
Led Zeppelin's performance took place towards the end of its 1977 North American tour. Unknown at the time, these were to be Led Zeppelin's final U.S. shows due to the sudden death of Robert Plant's young son Karac in the UK. The July 23 show was followed by the infamous beating backstage and in a band trailer of one of Bill Graham's crew by Led Zeppelin's road manager and security manager. The July 24 show almost did not occur because of the brawl. Led Zeppelin played only a few more gigs in Europe in 1979 and 1980. A 1980 U.S. tour was announced in support of the new album In Through the Out Door and tickets were sold but the tour did not occur as Led Zeppelin disbanded after the untimely, alcohol-induced death of drummer John Bonham.

Day On The Green #1: The Beach Boys, Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton, Elvin Bishop, Norton Buffalo (May 28, 1978)
Day On The Green #2: Steve Miller, Bob Seger, Outlaws, Ronnie Montrose, Toby Beau Band (June 17, 1978)
Day On The Green #3: Aerosmith, Foreigner, Pat Travers, Van Halen, AC/DC, (July 23, 1978) This was the first U.S. tour for Van Halen.
Day On The Green #4: The Rolling Stones, Santana, Eddie Money, Peter Tosh, Toots and the Maytals (July 26, 1978)
Bill Graham had a huge 'Lip & Tongue' Stones Logo built as the stage for this show on Mick Jagger's birthday. As the Rolling Stones finally came on stage 2+ hours after Santana finished playing, two helicopters flew around the stadium dropping blowup dolls and ping-pong balls stamped with the stones tongue logo into the crowd. As everyone looked up to the sky, the Stones appeared out of nowhere, playing Let it Rock from the tongue of the stage.
Day On The Green #5:
Ted Nugent, Blue Öyster Cult, Journey, AC/DC, Cheap Trick (September 2, 1978)

Day On The Green #1: Boston, Sammy Hagar, Eddie Money, Robert Fleischman (May 6, 1979)
Originally the band UK was scheduled to open, eventually being replaced by Robert Fleischman.
Day On The Green #2: Journey, The J. Geils Band, UFO, Thin Lizzy, Nazareth, The Rockets (July 4, 1979).
This show was alternately called the "4th Of July All American Rock 'N' Roll Show."
Day On The Green #3: Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, St.Paradise (July 21, 1979).
Also called "The Monsters Of Rock" show. Aerosmith's set has been bootlegged in video form. This was reputedly the only footage from any of the 1970s Day On The Green concerts to be available (other film footage has been found, but not widely released - Fleetwood Mac from 1976 for one). It was somehow taken from the famous Bill Graham vault sometime in 2006/2007.
Funk On The Green #1: Parliament-Funkadelic, Bootsy's Rubber Band, Brides of Funkenstein, Bar-Kays, Sister Sledge, Confunkshun, Parlet (August 4, 1979)
This was considered an off-shoot of the more rock-music based Day On The Greens.

Day On The Green #4: Foghat, Foreigner, The Cars, Gamma, Bram Tchaikovsky (September 15, 1979).
This show was also called "Stars Of the 80s" and "Rock 'N' Roll Party" in advertisements.

Day On The Green #1: Sammy Hagar, Blue Öyster Cult, REO Speedwagon, Triumph, Randy Hansen (July 4, 1980).
This concert was also called "Cruisin' On The Green" in advertisements. Originally The Babys were scheduled to appear, with Triumph and Randy Hansen replacing them.

Day On The Green #2: Journey, Cheap Trick, Black Sabbath, Molly Hatchet, Shakin' Street (July 27, 1980)
Originally Angel City was scheduled to open the show, but was replaced by Shakin' Street.

Day On The Green #4: Foghat, Foreigner, The Cars, Gamma, Bram Tchaikovsky (September 15, 1979). This show was also called "Stars Of the 80s" and "Rock 'N' Roll Party" in advertisements. "This show was cancelled"

Day On The Green #1: Heart, Blue Öyster Cult, Pat Travers, Loverboy, Ozzy Osbourne, 415 (July 4, 1981).
Day On The Green #2: REO Speedwagon, Kansas, UFO, 38 Special, Gamma (August 2, 1981).

Day On The Green #1: Journey, Santana, Toto, Gamma, The Tubes (June 26, 1982).
Day On The Green #2: Foreigner, Loverboy, Scorpions, Iron Maiden (July 18, 1982).
Day On The Green #3: The Who, The Clash, T-Bone Burnett (October 23, 1982)[1].

Day On The Green #1: Journey, Triumph, Eddie Money, Bryan Adams(Night Ranger),July 30, 1983).
Gary Moore was originally slated to appear but was replaced on the bill by Night Ranger.
Day On The Green #2: Simon & Garfunkel (August 20, 1983) (Billed as "An evening with Simon & Garfunkel" - first reunion tour since breaking up in 1972).
Day On The Green #3: The Police, The Fixx, Madness, Oingo Boingo, and The Thompson Twins (September 10, 1983).
Day On The Green #4: David Bowie, The Tubes, Translator (September 17, 1983).

No Day On The Green held this year.

Day On The Green #1: Scorpions, Ratt, Y&T, Metallica, Rising Force, Victory (August 31, 1985)
Day On The Green #2: Wham!, The Pointer Sisters, Katrina and the Waves (September 1, 1985)
These two concerts were held on the same weekend, making an odd pairing of the very metal-driven D.O.G. #1 vs the very youthful pop oriented D.O.G. #2 following right after.
Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band (September 18-19, 1985)
(Not billed as a Day On The Green, but promoted the same way. There were no support acts).

No Day On The Green held this year.

Day On The Green #1: Bob Dylan, Grateful Dead (July 24, 1987).
Day On The Green #2: Mötley Crüe, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Poison, Jetboy (October 10, 1987).
Day On The Green #3 & 4: U2, The Pretenders, The BoDeans, The Soup Dragons (November 14-15, 1987).

Day On The Green # 1 & 2: Pink Floyd (April 20 & 21, 1988).
Amnesty International Benefit: Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Peter Gabriel, Tracy Chapman, Youssou N'Dour (September 23, 1988) (Not billed as a Day On The Green, but promoted the same way).

In Concert Against AIDS Benefit: Grateful Dead, Tracy Chapman, John Fogerty, Los Lobos, Joe Satriani, Tower Of Power (May 27, 1989) (Not billed as a Day On The Green, but promoted the same way)
Day On The Green #1 & 2: The Who (August 29 & 30, 1989) (Billed as "An evening with The Who").
Day On The Green #3 & 4: The Rolling Stones, Living Colour, (Guns N' Roses were on the bill but did not perform) (November 4 & 5, 1989).
After visiting some areas hit by the infamous October 1989 Bay Area earthquake, Mick Jagger donates $500,000. to the victims.

Day On The Green #1: New Kids on the Block, Perfect Gentlemen, Rick Wes, Chris Pittman (September 8, 1990)
(This was billed as a Day On The Green).

Day On The Green #1: Metallica, Queensrÿche, Faith No More, Soundgarden (October 12, 1991).
The final Day On The Green presented by Bill Graham before his death.

Day On The Green #1: Genesis (June 20, 1992).
Day On The Green #2: Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Body Count (September 24, 1992).
Day On The Green #3: U2, Public Enemy, Sugarcubes (November 7, 1992).

Some really tremendous shows brought to the Bay Area by Uncle Bobo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-24 04:37 by No Expectations.

Posted by: wolfi ()
Date: December 24, 2010 16:46

Thank you very much - I just wish I could have been there ...

Still, life could be worse, I've seen some of those bands in my time (I'm 67 now) - and some of them are still playing live!

Hooray for 2011!

And a Merry Christmas for everybody!

wolfi (now in Hungary at 15 degrees Celsius, around 59 Fahrenheit)

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 24, 2010 19:28

i certainly don't recall those 89 stones shows as being presented as days on the green. nor some of those other concerts from the 80's and 90's....

Date: December 27, 2010 07:00

StonesTod
i certainly don't recall those 89 stones shows as being presented as days on the green. nor some of those other concerts from the 80's and 90's....

Tis certainly possibly some liberties where taken in compiling this list though all shows most definitely were presented by "Uncle Bobo" @ the Oakland Coliseum except 92 of course!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1639
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home