Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Youtube Stones guitar lessons
Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: December 20, 2012 12:24

There are many guitar players on Youtube having a crack at stones songs, here is an interesting Winter guitar solo.1:05, nice lick.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-20 12:27 by lapaz62.

Re: Youtube Stones guitar lessons
Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: December 20, 2012 12:26

Very good - and love the Asics muscle top!

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: December 20, 2012 17:07

Y mas! Play like Keith:

There are so many interesting guitar vids on YouTube, and from diverse people too: little kids, old people, of various nationalities and genders.

Date: December 21, 2012 05:56

Date: December 21, 2012 06:00

Date: December 21, 2012 06:01

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 21, 2012 13:52

lapaz62

Ab..so..lute..ley.... fantastic.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: December 21, 2012 15:17

lapaz62

it's from L&G movie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-21 15:22 by straycat58.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: December 21, 2012 15:45

This one's pretty good too (by forum member Justin, I believe):

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 21, 2012 15:53

lapaz62

This guy has an unbelievable amount of absolutely useless lessons. 99% of his videos is him trying to look and speak cool. He goes on and on about absolutely obvious things. I mean if someone doesn't know a thing about guitar, then he might find it useful, but once you learn your first three chords, try to find other lessons, there are many really good ones on youtube, but this is just crap. I remember seeing one video of this guy explaining how ridiculously simple it was to tune a guitar by ear. After about three minutes of crazy tweaking he ended up with the guitar absolutely out of tune, but he managed to say about 50 "cool" sentences about how to tune a guitar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-21 15:54 by Happy24.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: December 21, 2012 15:55

Darryl likes it I guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-21 15:57 by VT22.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 21, 2012 16:00

xke38
This one's pretty good too (by forum member Justin, I believe):

...yes...and he also has a nice simple lesson of how to play JJF in standard tuning (like in R'n'R Circus) really good and straingt to the point

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 21, 2012 16:47

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 23, 2012 03:02

Date: December 23, 2012 09:11

Happy24
lapaz62

This guy has an unbelievable amount of absolutely useless lessons. 99% of his videos is him trying to look and speak cool. He goes on and on about absolutely obvious things. I mean if someone doesn't know a thing about guitar, then he might find it useful, but once you learn your first three chords, try to find other lessons, there are many really good ones on youtube, but this is just crap. I remember seeing one video of this guy explaining how ridiculously simple it was to tune a guitar by ear. After about three minutes of crazy tweaking he ended up with the guitar absolutely out of tune, but he managed to say about 50 "cool" sentences about how to tune a guitar.
Yeah, your right about this guy but like you say, if you didn't know anything, he is probably ok.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: December 24, 2012 03:36

Essen 1970, not as subtle and fluid as Mick, but still a great job.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: December 24, 2012 11:18

Any more? These are good!

Posted by: PhilipStaniforth ()
Date: December 24, 2012 13:51

Youtube has made guitar playing a lot easier and cheaper.

The Mick Taylor clips are very good. It really does show you how good he was.

I suspect the fat guy in the hat isn't a very good player.

Posted by: Shade ()
Date: December 24, 2012 17:33

I have a hard time learning guitar by watching YouTube. Privetricker is an excellent player and has many good videos but he doesn't, respectfully, teach very well. The guy with the hat is Marty Schwartz, who is much better than I am at guitar, but a lot of his videos are more oriented towards beginners.

I'm at that awkward intermediate stage where I know my major and minor chord shapes but I can't play a lick or scale to save my life. It's frustrating but I keep trying. And as always, buying another guitar doesn't help, but it doesn't hurt either. smiling smiley

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 24, 2012 17:49

Shade
I have a hard time learning guitar by watching YouTube. Privetricker is an excellent player and has many good videos but he doesn't, respectfully, teach very well. The guy with the hat is Marty Schwartz, who is much better than I am at guitar, but a lot of his videos are more oriented towards beginners.

I used to have a hard time learning on YouTube also, but I've gotten used to it. It's hard because I'm not used to looking at somebody else playing and figuring out their fingering. I'm used to seeing how a chords looks from my point of view, not watching somebody else playing it. Plus some people have different fingerings for chords, which can be confusing, but after a while it has started to click some.

Privettricker is more of a demonstrator, though he does have a few videos that are more toward beginners and more instructional. He doesn't seem to have a lot of patience with his audience. I've asked him a few questions, and his reply was usually pretty short and sharp. He doesn't seem to have a lot of patience for people who aren't as knowledgeable as him. But I realize he probably gets tons of questions. Plus he has to deal with some idiots, some of the comments on his videos do merit copping an attitude. Then you have the TONS of people who know just enough about Keith and the guitar to know that Keith often plays in Open G with 5 strings, and think that he does it for ALL songs, then go around commenting on every video that isn't in Open G (as many Stones songs are) telling them they're doing it wrong and it's supposed to be in Open G. Even for songs recorded before Keith discovered Open G. I'd get pretty tired of that too. But when it comes to privet, I just stopped asking questions. The last time I did (regarding the tuning of Star Star, as the way he plays it doesn't sound at all like the studio version though it works for live versions) he kind of went off on me and told me to figure it out myself. Maybe he took it as a criticism of his video, but I was really just wanting to play the song.

Speaking of which, does anybody know of a good instructional video for the studio version of Stray Cat Blues? His version (it's in Open D, and may be the right tuning, I don't know) works pretty well, but doesn't sound exactly like the studio recording. His video is the only thing I've found (video or tabs) for the studio version, seems most everybody else likes to tab/teach Keith's rhythm part for the Ya-Ya's version.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: December 24, 2012 18:02

It's true that all the "teachers" on youtube get TONS of emails and (stupid) comments. So why answer them?

Remember they do it all for Free.

So either you're o.k. with the way they do it or you'll have to go and pay a private teacher for one on one lessons.

And btw figuring out by ear yourself is still the best way to learn. It's pretty hard in the beginning but you get the most benefit out of it.

Date: December 24, 2012 18:25

Roadster32
It's true that all the "teachers" on youtube get TONS of emails and (stupid) comments. So why answer them?

Remember they do it all for Free.

So either you're o.k. with the way they do it or you'll have to go and pay a private teacher for one on one lessons.

And btw figuring out by ear yourself is still the best way to learn. It's pretty hard in the beginning but you get the most benefit out of it.

Yeah, I understand that much. But when they put up those videos, and take on the role of instructor, they are doing so knowing people are going to ask questions. Not that they HAVE to answer them, but they shouldn't be surprised by questions. It's not like a home invasion and we're bursting in on a jam session to ask them how they're doing that, they put themselves out there. They decided they wanted to teach people how to play a song, and sometimes people will need clarification.

I always try to figure it out myself if I can. And if I do have a question, look through the comments and see if somebody else has asked it, and usually it has been.

Don't get me wrong, privet is cool, he's just (and understandably due to some of the comments) a little rude sometimes. I asked another YouTube instructor who put up a video of the Ya Ya's version of SFM what he was playing at one point, and within 5 minutes he politely answered me. Had he just not answered me I would have been cool with that too. But had he actually taken the time to reply just to tell me to figure it out myself, I would have found that kind of silly. And to be fair privet has politely answered some questions as well. But I've also seem him post a few tirades for seemingly innocent questions.

I don't think you have to either be "o.k. with the way they do it or you'll have to go and pay a private teacher for one on one lessons", it's not against the law to ask questions. And if somebody just wants to put up some videos and take no role besides just posting them, I can understand that.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 24, 2012 18:44

People have it too easy these days..when I first was learning guitar, I had to tune it with one of those pitch pipes until I had trained my ear. Also, learning Stones songs was done by repeatedly lifting the turntable arm back to the bit you were learning, time and time again...this usually ended with a scratched record. I used to nick bits of playing off friends and go to live shows and get as near the front as possible to see how things were really done.

Finding out about Keith's 5 string tuning was a revelation and I couldn;t believe that what I was playing now actually sounded like what Keith played. Guitar magazines were helpfula s they had articles on what tunings guitarists used and they had tab, but otherwise it was a fairly long job learning songs correctly.

It's amazing that now you pick a song you want to learn and 9 times out of 10 it's on YouTube as a lesson and there is usually some fairly accurate tab out there somewhere.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: December 24, 2012 19:03

crumbling_mice
People have it too easy these days..when I first was learning guitar, I had to tune it with one of those pitch pipes until I had trained my ear. Also, learning Stones songs was done by repeatedly lifting the turntable arm back to the bit you were learning, time and time again...this usually ended with a scratched record. I used to nick bits of playing off friends and go to live shows and get as near the front as possible to see how things were really done.

Finding out about Keith's 5 string tuning was a revelation and I couldn;t believe that what I was playing now actually sounded like what Keith played. Guitar magazines were helpfula s they had articles on what tunings guitarists used and they had tab, but otherwise it was a fairly long job learning songs correctly.

It's amazing that now you pick a song you want to learn and 9 times out of 10 it's on YouTube as a lesson and there is usually some fairly accurate tab out there somewhere.

What a flashback! Especially this 'lifting the turnable' part! You brought me back, a good thirty years at least!

Date: December 24, 2012 19:05

crumbling_mice

Even when I first started to learn in the mid-90's it was pretty difficult. Pretty much the same as you, except with CDs instead of records. And no pitch pipe. Around the time I was learning OLGA was around, and there were tons of tabs around, but back then they were almost all wrong. Seems like serious guitar players didn't start transcribing until 2000 onward. To this day when looking for a tab you usually have to sift through 3-4 incorrect tabs before you find one that works. I mainly use tabs/YouTube videos as a jumping off point. Once I know the basics of a song (basic chords, key, etc) I can usually figure out or improvise the rest.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 24, 2012 22:41

NoCode0680
crumbling_mice

Even when I first started to learn in the mid-90's it was pretty difficult. Pretty much the same as you, except with CDs instead of records. And no pitch pipe. Around the time I was learning OLGA was around, and there were tons of tabs around, but back then they were almost all wrong. Seems like serious guitar players didn't start transcribing until 2000 onward. To this day when looking for a tab you usually have to sift through 3-4 incorrect tabs before you find one that works. I mainly use tabs/YouTube videos as a jumping off point. Once I know the basics of a song (basic chords, key, etc) I can usually figure out or improvise the rest.

Yes, that's the best approach, as you say there is an awful lot of very incorrect tab on the net and you need to have rough idea of where abouts on the neck something is played at least.

Posted by: Shade ()
Date: December 26, 2012 04:06

Anybody have any luck with those apps on iTunes that show the tab? I'm drawing a blank on its name, but I guess you can buy a less for like $3 per song and its supposedly includes the correct tab. I haven't tried it because I've bought tab books in guitar shops before which were inaccurate and I don't want to get burned again.

I've also tried guitar lessons to improve but stopped after 3 visits. For $20 per half hour, it was too expensive for me. Also by the time you sit down, get your guitar tuned, and finish exchanging pleasantries with your instructor, you have about 15 minutes left in your lesson. Frustrating. Wish I started playing sooner.

Date: December 26, 2012 07:23

Shade
Anybody have any luck with those apps on iTunes that show the tab? I'm drawing a blank on its name, but I guess you can buy a less for like $3 per song and its supposedly includes the correct tab. I haven't tried it because I've bought tab books in guitar shops before which were inaccurate and I don't want to get burned again.

I haven't tried it, and while it sounds interesting, I too am skeptical. I've bought a few books over the years (most of them are bass books from the 90's when I was mainly a bass player and internet tabs were much worse than today), in fact I just ordered the Ya Ya's book (armed with the knowledge it isn't perfect and is missing the CB tunes), but at least with a book you have something physical that you can keep/collect.

Besides, I'm sure most of those tabs will be copied and put up on UGTA with somebody else taking credit for the work, so I'll probably pass on buying any.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 26, 2012 08:10

crumbling_mice

Damn, that doesn't half take me back! Nostalgia! That's how I did it as well. I had a turntable with speed settings of 16, 33.3 and 45 RPMs. I would set the speed to 16 (never knew what records were designed to play at that speed but no matter) so I could hear transitions better. It was not to exactly to pitch but that was easily fixed. I wore out Get Yer Ya Yas and a few other LPs learning songs this way. I repeated songs over an and over again until I got it as right as I could. I drove my mom and brother crazy! And when I found out in the late 70s that Keith was using alternate tunings for many Stones classics a whole new world opened up for me! It is because I learned many Stones songs in standard tuning that were originally played in open G, D or E that I still tend to play many of them in standard tining to this day. (Many, not all!) It was a hard way to learn but dammit, it was fun! Thanks for the reminder of how it used to be for many if us crumbling_mice!

Date: December 26, 2012 12:14

God it is made so easy nowadays.
The Mick Taylor guy is incredible. But there is something off with his backing tracks. Are they part of a new amp or something? The "love in Vain" in particular was off. But great guitarist.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1401
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home