Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: slightly OT: The Black Crowes go out on a Stones high
Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: December 29, 2010 21:07

It's been said before in one of the other myriad "Debate the merits of the Black Crowes" threads (I'm very pro-B.C. for the record)but seems to bear repeating here. I would suggest that the folks who argue that they slavishly imitate the Stones are, I think, way off base and I'm guessing are basing most of those opinions on the first album (which I would suggest is more indebted to the Faces but whatever). I hear a whole lot more Allman Brothers, Delaney and Bonnie, Free, Humble Pie and Zeppelin than Stones, just off the top of my head (6 Stones covers in the final show notwithstanding).

And the criticism that they're derivative and wear their influences on their sleeves: why is that a problem? Who cares? I actually like that about them. I love the bands that they're channeling and since most of those bands are no longer around, I'm all the more pleased to see current groups flying the flag.

I submit that most of what people dislike about the Crowes is based around Chris Robinson, his rather obnoxious personality in the early days and his vocals (I like them, but if there's a weak link, I think it's Chris when he's trying too hard to convey emotion). As for the rest of the band, though, I think they're a pretty smokin' outfit who know to jam....and when they do, they don't sound much like the Stones at all. Again, the most obvious reference point to me would be the Allman Brothers. Last time I saw 'em live, they covered the Bee Gees (To Love Somebody) and Dylan (Mighty Quinn) and both sounded awesome.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: December 29, 2010 21:31

andrewm
It's been said before in one of the other myriad "Debate the merits of the Black Crowes" threads (I'm very pro-B.C. for the record)but seems to bear repeating here. I would suggest that the folks who argue that they slavishly imitate the Stones are, I think, way off base and I'm guessing are basing most of those opinions on the first album (which I would suggest is more indebted to the Faces but whatever). I hear a whole lot more Allman Brothers, Delaney and Bonnie, Free, Humble Pie and Zeppelin than Stones, just off the top of my head (6 Stones covers in the final show notwithstanding).

And the criticism that they're derivative and wear their influences on their sleeves: why is that a problem? Who cares? I actually like that about them. I love the bands that they're channeling and since most of those bands are no longer around, I'm all the more pleased to see current groups flying the flag.

+1 smileys with beer

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 29, 2010 21:33

andrewm

has there ever been a band that has worn its influences on its collective sleeve MORE than the stones?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-29 22:03 by StonesTod.

Date: December 29, 2010 22:02

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-29 22:02 by StonesTod.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: December 29, 2010 22:25

StonesTod
andrewm

has there ever been a band that has worn its influences on its collective sleeve MORE than the stones?

good point.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 29, 2010 23:07

Just bought it off iTunes. Really good gig.

I think we're over analyzing a bit here. It was a special live show that the real fans now have access to buy. Yes, they did a lot of Stones covers but so what. They don't do that every night. It was a treat.

Nobody slammed the Stones for doing two Chuck Berry covers on their US 69 tour for gawdsake and which ended up immortalised on YaYas.

The Crowes' recent albums stand up as extremely fine works. So what if they allow themselves a little indulgence on the road. Really can't see what the fuss is all about here.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 30, 2010 07:04

I bought the last Fillmore show on Itunes. So far I've only heard No Expectations and Torn and Frayed. Well the band palys well and it's nice to hear these songs played live by somebody. But Chris Robinson's voice is quite frankly awful. Shot might be a bit harsh. But extra nasally and whiney wouldn't. Ooooch. Horribly bad vocals on a pro recording......Good luck with that solo career Chris.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: jimjamaica ()
Date: December 30, 2010 23:22

Date: December 31, 2010 00:33

sweetcharmedlife
I bought the last Fillmore show on Itunes. So far I've only heard No Expectations and Torn and Frayed. Well the band palys well and it's nice to hear these songs played live by somebody. But Chris Robinson's voice is quite frankly awful. Shot might be a bit harsh. But extra nasally and whiney wouldn't. Ooooch. Horribly bad vocals on a pro recording......Good luck with that solo career Chris.

i listened to them and his voice sounds fine. very loud and strong

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 31, 2010 00:34

I agree Keefriffhard4life!
Chris has an amazing voice! Not nasally at all! He sings from the diaphragm,full on from the chest. Great singer!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 31, 2010 01:54

"I love the bands that they're channeling and since most of those bands are no longer around, I'm all the more pleased to see current groups flying the flag"

For this you have Youtube and its countless vintage vids. The SOLE reason an artist should make music for is to bring sth new, not rehash what he heard growing up.

I love the BC's 2nd album BUT I keep thinking that if the music hadn't been given such a forced 70's feel it would have stood the test of time better.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: December 31, 2010 03:05

"For this you have Youtube and its countless vintage vids. The SOLE reason an artist should make music for is to bring sth new, not rehash what he heard growing up."

Your opinion, and all power to you, but I couldn't possibly disagree more. What I want is a great song, sung and played with conviction, regardless of the genre it can most readily be slotted into. I'm reminded of a quote by Steve McBean, leader of Black Mountain, current stoner rock mavens and darlings of the Brit critics (who grew up here in Victoria, B.C.) and I'll have to paraphrase, but it went something like this: "Why is it necessary to constantly be striving to reinvent the wheel?" I would suggest that, at this point, it's pretty much impossible for a band comprised of the classic two guitars, bass and drums, to "bring something new".

Date: December 31, 2010 03:32

andrewm
"For this you have Youtube and its countless vintage vids. The SOLE reason an artist should make music for is to bring sth new, not rehash what he heard growing up."

Your opinion, and all power to you, but I couldn't possibly disagree more. What I want is a great song, sung and played with conviction, regardless of the genre it can most readily be slotted into. I'm reminded of a quote by Steve McBean, leader of Black Mountain, current stoner rock mavens and darlings of the Brit critics (who grew up here in Victoria, B.C.) and I'll have to paraphrase, but it went something like this: "Why is it necessary to constantly be striving to reinvent the wheel?" I would suggest that, at this point, it's pretty much impossible for a band comprised of the classic two guitars, bass and drums, to "bring something new".

bingo.

let me add, that if writing songs or creating new tunes was the definition of a music artist, frank sinatra (to name just one of the greats) wasn't an artist.

Date: December 31, 2010 06:31

And again, how did the Stones start? By channeling all their favorite blues, vintage rock, and r & b...

Date: March 11, 2012 19:51

Rich Robinson just covered "Winter" at the Feb. 16 London show...

Date: March 12, 2012 04:04

Very cool! Where you there?

Date: March 12, 2012 04:05

I am not usually a fan of his voice solo, but not bad...

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 12, 2012 11:00

Rich plays a nice guitar.

Date: March 12, 2012 12:25

whitem8
Very cool! Where you there?

Errr no... I travel thru time and space with the file-sharing/p2p site Dimeadozen.
And I just got "Love In Vain" from the 2011-11-08 Vancouver show. Interesting version as RR plays like Keith and MT in the same song. He starts the song in restrained fashion (à la Keith) only to wail away at the end (à la MT circa 1972).

I also got some Chris Robinson solo shows : lots of covers played too but no Stones tunes. So now we know who's a Stones fan in the band. winking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-12 12:39 by dcba.

Date: March 12, 2012 14:34

Oh they both are. I have read quite a few interviews where Chris talks about how Exile was their brother album, they memorized it, soaked their pores in Stones.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 12, 2012 17:15

Great stuff.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 12, 2012 18:52

Funny, the Black Crowes were always regarded as Led Zeppelin impersonators. But, did you notice that almost all Stones songs are from the period when Led Zep were the No.1 band on this planet?!

Date: March 13, 2012 04:03

Hmmm. I never thought they were compared more to LZ than the Stones, Faces, and Humble Pie. In fact after their team up with Page, Chris had some harsh things to say about Robert Plant's vocal style and he seemed to want to distance himself from the entire affair. I suspect a lot of that was due to the fact that Live at the Greek sold better and gave them more exposure than any of their studio albums since Southern Harmony. Lions for sure is their most Zep sounding record in many ways. But there recent live run they didn't really do any Zep covers on a regular basis, unlike Dylan and The Stones covers they consistently pulled out (and Neil Young).

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1304
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home