Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ot: The Beatles " "Magical Mystery Tour"
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 19, 2012 18:13

Any fans of the movie, or album, here?

Re: ot: The Beatles " "Magical Mystery Tour"
Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: December 19, 2012 18:27

Paul seemed to like it

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 19, 2012 18:38

Great album! Although, the album is a bit of an artificial creation. But the double EP is fantastic as well. One of Lennon's favorite albums by The Beatles. Worth it for the epic I am the Walrus. Also great instrumental Flying. And the eerie Blue Jay Way. Great stuff, and some great psychedelia.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: December 19, 2012 18:42

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 19, 2012 18:43

Going back in time... just found the video Magical Mystery Tour
I do remember the film and it was great fun "psychedelic" and my fav track is I am the Walrus

Cheers

Date: December 19, 2012 18:49

The reason I ask is because I recorded the movie over the weekend and I was trying to watch it last night, and i found it pretty (too) weird (maybe Brithish humor I dont get). I know (thought) it is famous, and popular... but it sure is odd.. anyway, I almost deleted it, but thought that maybe I should ask music experts / Beatles fans here for some insight before doing that. I guess that MMT was kind of "lost" for years, but then they re-released it last year, and that is why it is on TV now.

Any words of wisdom/insight to make it seem more enjoyable would be appreciated (I mean besides dropping some acid, that might work). Thanks for any tips

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-19 18:51 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: December 19, 2012 18:55

I am a big Beatles fan, and I do not like the movie. I find it boring and pretty chaotic. Ok, there are a few scenes that are good, like I am the Walrus and John's dream. But it is a pretty dull movie.

The album though and the music is great!

Date: December 19, 2012 18:58

whitem8
I am a big Beatles fan, and I do not like the movie. I find it boring and pretty chaotic. Ok, there are a few scenes that are good, like I am the Walrus and John's dream. But it is a pretty dull movie.

The album though and the music is great!

Thanks whitem8

That is what I found, I thought the songs, which I fast forwarded to, were kind of cool (waaaaay pre MTV) but the other stuff, like the regular folks on the bus.... I dont get it.

Date: December 19, 2012 19:00

Maybe its cause I am a Stones fan I do like the movie

Cheers

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 19, 2012 19:01

I've mentioned this many times before, but although MMT has some great tracks, it doesn't rock AT ALL.

Date: December 19, 2012 19:03

runaway
Maybe its cause I am a Stones fan I do like the movie

Cheers

Thanks for your input runaway...
although I think being a Stones fan is making me like it less.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 19, 2012 19:17

Spend the entire summer of -68 with that double-EP...Strangely enough, I found 'Fool on the Hill' being the album's highlight then...

2 1 2 0

Date: December 19, 2012 21:13

Thanks for the input.... D E L E T E D to make room for
"The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across the 8th Dimension"
only the greates movie ever made, now playing of MGM channel.

Date: December 19, 2012 21:20

Deleted..

What about the new James Bond movie...I liked that one

Date: December 19, 2012 21:23

runaway
Deleted..

On the list!! smiling smiley
I am going to see that on a day when we are the only ones in the theater, I like best like that.... gotta time it just perfect... but I do want to see it on the BIG screen.

Date: December 19, 2012 21:25

Max'sKansasCity
runaway
Deleted..

On the list!! smiling smiley
I am going to see that on a day when we are the only ones in the theater, I like best like that.... gotta time it just perfect... but I do want to see it on the BIG screen.

smileys with beer Grrrr Movie

Date: December 19, 2012 21:29

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 19, 2012 21:32

Max'sKansasCity
The reason I ask is because I recorded the movie over the weekend and I was trying to watch it last night, and i found it pretty (too) weird (maybe Brithish humor I dont get). I know (thought) it is famous, and popular... but it sure is odd.. anyway, I almost deleted it, but thought that maybe I should ask music experts / Beatles fans here for some insight before doing that. I guess that MMT was kind of "lost" for years, but then they re-released it last year, and that is why it is on TV now.

Any words of wisdom/insight to make it seem more enjoyable would be appreciated (I mean besides dropping some acid, that might work). Thanks for any tips

As you may know, I'm a huge Beatles fan and like most everything they've done including solo works. I hadn't seen this film in many years and so I recently bought the DVD reissue. Apart from the music, I find the film atrociously bad on an amateurish scale. The scenes simply do not blend, and the scenes themselves are mostly flat. However, the comedy attempts in the segments with military officers, you can see how that may have influenced Monty Python.

There is one musical moment toward the end that obviously didn't make it onto the Beatles MMT album/EP--the striptease scene with The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, and if you listen carefully you can hear where the indie-rock band Death Cab for Cutie got its name.

Date: December 19, 2012 21:37

stonesnow
Max'sKansasCity

As you may know, I'm a huge Beatles fan and like most everything they've done including solo works. I hadn't seen this film in many years and so I recently bought the DVD reissue. Apart from the music, I find the film atrociously bad on an amateurish scale. The scenes simply do not blend, and the scenes themselves are mostly flat. However, the comedy attempts in the segments with military officers, you can see how that may have influenced Monty Python.

There is one musical moment toward the end that obviously didn't make it onto the Beatles MMT album/EP--the striptease scene with The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, and if you listen carefully you can hear where the indie-rock band Death Cab for Cutie got its name.

Thanks buddy, I know you know your movies, always appreciate your input smileys with beer

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 19, 2012 21:39

My 11 year old watched it on PBS with me the other night and said "I Am The Walrus" was going to give him nightmares. :-)

Date: December 19, 2012 21:44

I know my movies...send your dvd's to me

merry...

Date: December 19, 2012 21:45

kovach
My 11 year old watched it on PBS with me the other night and said "I Am The Walrus" was going to give him nightmares. :-)

That is what I recorded... what did you think of it?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 19, 2012 22:13

Yes, me! I saw the new vesrion in the theter recently. Fantastic. The Beatles were much maligned for the film at the time but when you see it now you can see shades of Monty Python. This film was very influential, even if it wasn't a commercial success. The performance of "Walrus" is worth the price of admission alone! Goo goo goo joob!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 19, 2012 22:43

alhavu1
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9, No. 9.

Date: December 19, 2012 22:47

Yes, I agree the film was influential among budding writers and directors. Speilsburg said he was fascinated by it and it influenced him to make his own films. But I still find it to be quite boring and not well made. I too am a huge Beatles fan, and like most everything they did, including solo... and I think MMT EP and album are wonderful. Yet the film is more of a novelty of the times, with little draw for repeated viewing. That said, the new MMT box set that just came out is beautiful! As is the Stereo vinyl box set, stunning!

Date: December 19, 2012 23:35

whitem8
Yes, I agree the film was influential among budding writers and directors. Speilsburg said he was fascinated by it and it influenced him to make his own films. But I still find it to be quite boring and not well made. I too am a huge Beatles fan, and like most everything they did, including solo... and I think MMT EP and album are wonderful. Yet the film is more of a novelty of the times, with little draw for repeated viewing. That said, the new MMT box set that just came out is beautiful! As is the Stereo vinyl box set, stunning!

Heard some bad reviews on the vinyl quality of the US released vinyl box whitem8.

I haven't opened mine yet...do you have the box set and have you encountered any problems?

Date: December 19, 2012 23:40

hmmmm. No, what did you read? So far I think they sound fantastic. Very quiet, no pops, and very well mastered. Not dense and great bass and acoustics sound beautiful. Especially Abbey Road.

Date: December 20, 2012 01:45

whitem8
hmmmm. No, what did you read? So far I think they sound fantastic. Very quiet, no pops, and very well mastered. Not dense and great bass and acoustics sound beautiful. Especially Abbey Road.

Go to the Amazon.com listing for it...it seems a 50/50 split for either excellent or horrible and a lot of anger out there.

People with warped records, skips, thumbprints, scratches, excessive noise.

Abbey Road is usually the worst, so it seems you lucked out.

I haven't opened mine yet. Got a new cartridge and was going to do the 'inspection' over the holidays. Wish me luck!

Date: December 20, 2012 02:08

Oh wow! sheezbot. No so far no problems. I haven't listened to them all though... GOOD LUCK with yours!

Date: December 20, 2012 02:28

whitem8
Oh wow! sheezbot. No so far no problems. I haven't listened to them all though... GOOD LUCK with yours!

Well, in the reviews I've read the two problem children are Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road, however a lot of the other albums as well.

Yes, good luck to you as well!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2676
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home