Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
KEITH IS BACK!
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 17, 2012 01:37

For the first time in years, Keith was finally able to play AND sing at the same time...maybe it was Blondie's absence or lack of extra curricular substances...whatever the reason...I WANT MORE!!!

Re: KEITH IS BACK!
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 17, 2012 01:42

I'm talking the two solo tunes here...just sayin'.

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: December 17, 2012 02:01

I came here to see what people thought of the shows.
I personally am so proud of Keith. He is focused, playing well and sounding excellent. After reading your comments 24, I realize why I don't come here too much. Way to much negativity for me. I thought Keith was Fantastic.

Fred Hardin
Pleased to meet you........

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: December 17, 2012 04:13

24FPS
I've lost a lot of affection for Keith after he front stabbed Jagger in his book

Well, at least that explains your initial response that he's "decrepit" and "running on fumes", which is clearly not the case.

Posted by: drummer_dude ()
Date: December 17, 2012 04:32

I saw the show on PPV and Keith has come back with a vengence and I think he knows that fans thought he couldn't pull this thing off but he surprised us all and performed to the fullest of his ability.

drummer_dude

Date: December 17, 2012 04:37

drummer_dude
I saw the show on PPV and Keith has come back with a vengence and I think he knows that fans thought he couldn't pull this thing off but he surprised us all and performed to the fullest of his ability.

drummer_dude

No doubt Keith is back. The only question now is whether Mick is going to pull the plug on the whole operation.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 17, 2012 05:14

I am proud of Keith also. He is THE MAN and will always be THE MAN.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 17, 2012 05:42

24 - You are out to lunch on this one!! Keith was fantastic last night. He was on all night I have no idea what you were listening to or watching. brown Sugar was awesome. Keith was rock solid on Rambler. No f***ing clue what you were looking at.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 17, 2012 07:00

Sure, he wasn't '69-'78 Keef, and he barely played on a few songs prior to his solo spot. But he was better than he's been in at least a decade.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: December 17, 2012 08:09

He was great and focused, but he was definitely not the star of the show. Given that the expectations were pretty low, he did a fantastic job. But Ronnie played at a whole other level.

Date: December 17, 2012 08:14

Midnight Toker
I am proud of Keith also. He is THE MAN and will always be THE MAN.

Right on! And you can bet he would go into the studio in a heartbeat to record a new Stones album. It's always about having to sell Mick on something. He really didn't want to do the 50 thing.

Date: December 17, 2012 08:18

slew
24 - You are out to lunch on this one!! Keith was fantastic last night. He was on all night I have no idea what you were listening to or watching. brown Sugar was awesome. Keith was rock solid on Rambler. No f***ing clue what you were looking at.

Absolutely! I had five guitar players at my house last night for the PPV and all of them said Keith did a wonderful job.

Date: December 17, 2012 08:21

Can we please change the title of this to The Resurrection Of Keith Richards? Much more dramatic! Keith Is Back just doesn't quite capture the magnitude of his return to form

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 17, 2012 09:26

micwer
He was great and focused, but he was definitely not the star of the show. Given that the expectations were pretty low, he did a fantastic job. But Ronnie played at a whole other level.

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: December 17, 2012 09:28

JumpinJackOLantern
slew

Absolutely! I had five guitar players at my house last night for the PPV and all of them said Keith did a wonderful job.

I don't care if you had five lords a leaping at your house for the PPV. I saw what I saw. I heard what I heard. You heard what you heard. You saw what you saw. Now let's have a beer before this gets stupid. smileys with beer

Date: December 17, 2012 10:16

@24FPS:

Why do you suddenly expect Keith and Ronnie's solo playing to be on the same level? It never was.

Too bad you can't see the beauty of his playing on Midnight Rambler, Before They Make Me Run, I'm Going Down, JJF, Satisfaction and Wild Horses.

It's simple, but better than most guitar players can do thumbs up

Date: December 17, 2012 10:30

DandelionPowderman
@24FPS:

Why do you suddenly expect Keith and Ronnie's solo playing to be on the same level? It never was.

Too bad you can't see the beauty of his playing on Midnight Rambler, Before They Make Me Run, I'm Going Down, JJF, Satisfaction and Wild Horses.

Aye, yi, yi. What a can of worms. I don't mean that Keith is on Ronnie's level playing solos. (He hasn't been on that level since 1965). I mean that Keith's level (which has been rhythm since Mick T joined) is not up to Ronnie's level. Much like Mick Taylor, in the golden era, was on his high level as a soloist, and Keith was on his high level as a rhythm player. Keith is no longer on par with Ronnie. This has been a gradual decline and is probably so apparent now because of the 5 year layoff, and Keith's age. Mick, Charlie, and Ronnie looked fit and ready to tangle with tigers. Keith, no. There were a couple of flashes, but the fluidity isn't there. Maybe it will come back with more playing. I want him to do good. I want him to kick ass. But don't tell me he's on fire right now.

Date: December 17, 2012 10:36

24FPS
DandelionPowderman
@24FPS:

Aye, yi, yi. What a can of worms. I don't mean that Keith is on Ronnie's level playing solos. (He hasn't been on that level since 1965). I mean that Keith's level (which has been rhythm since Mick T joined) is not up to Ronnie's level. Much like Mick Taylor, in the golden era, was on his high level as a soloist, and Keith was on his high level as a rhythm player. Keith is no longer on par with Ronnie. This has been a gradual decline and is probably so apparent now because of the 5 year layoff, and Keith's age. Mick, Charlie, and Ronnie looked fit and ready to tangle with tigers. Keith, no. There were a couple of flashes, but the fluidity isn't there. Maybe it will come back with more playing. I want him to do good. I want him to kick ass. But don't tell me he's on fire right now.

He was on fire during the songs he was supposed to be on fire: Rambler, JJF, Satisfaction, Before They Make Me Run and I'm Going Down among others.

And yes, I'm telling you that Keith still is a way better rhythm and riff-guitar player than Ronnie. Ronnie's solos, however, were beautiful on the PPV-show.

BTW, Keith was never a rhythm guitar player in the term's usual sense (maybe with the exception of a couple of years during the Taylor era), he's far too versatile for that in his playing style...

I suggest you listen to Midnight Rambler again thumbs up

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 18, 2012 06:01

Keith was on fire for all five shows

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: December 18, 2012 07:43

24FPS
Having a few tokes or not wouldn't change what I thought of Keith's playing. I think if you were looking at him clear eyed you'd have to admit he's not up to speed yet. For the first time there is a wide gap between where Ronnie is and where Keith is at. It's okay. Keith will be 69 on Wednesday. He has terrible arthritis, and I wouldn't be surprised if his health isn't all that great. He has given me more than enough pleasure over the years. But to say he was somehow great last night is not what I heard.

Sorry dude but you are just way off base here. You either, are deaf, have no idea what good guitar is supposed to sound like, are stoned out of your gourd, or just trying to be controversial. Personally, I think you just really wouldn't know good guitar playing if smacked you in the head and that's ok. But in that case, just defer to those who know better.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 18, 2012 08:40

DandelionPowderman
He was on fire during the songs he was supposed to be on fire... I'm Going Down among others.

...and I suggest you to listen again to "Going Down", he looked like he doesn't know how to play after the three other solos (Mayer-Wood-Clark) without being ridiculous which is a kind of premiere.

HMN

Date: December 18, 2012 09:38

Honestman
DandelionPowderman
He was on fire during the songs he was supposed to be on fire... I'm Going Down among others.

...and I suggest you to listen again to "Going Down", he looked like he doesn't know how to play after the three other solos (Mayer-Wood-Clark) without being ridiculous which is a kind of premiere.

I've seen it many times smiling smiley

That simple solo was just what the song needed, after the guitar assaults. Those licks took it down and wrapped it up - the same happened when Biff Jack was guesting thumbs up

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 18, 2012 11:57

HE NEVER WAS GONE

JEROEN

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 18, 2012 12:05

Keith is a lot better now than he was at the last tour, that's good to see, but he really had to be better, otherwise there couldn't had been any 2012 tour. His playing at the PPV was "passable" I'd say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-18 12:21 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: December 18, 2012 14:16

Erik_Snow
Keith is a lot better now than he was at the last tour, that's good to see, but he really had to be better, otherwise there couldn't had been any 2012 tour. His playing at the PPV was "passable" I'd say.

With flashes of the "old" Keith brilliance,and in those moments the band sounded like the Rolling Stones again.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: December 18, 2012 14:24

Much better than in 2007, and at this stage of the game it's quite an achievement, I'd say. He was very consistent, and it was enough to make those shows really good! Go Keith!!!

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: December 18, 2012 14:41

Keith played the role he needed to play to make the show work. He doesn't carry the band on most songs anymore, but he stopped posing and gave us some meaty and thoughtful sounds, and from time to time he raised the energy in the room kind of like he used to. Kudos to Ronnie and Mick, but it all works together. Without Keith doing his thing, they could not have shined.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: December 18, 2012 14:58

24FPS
Glad you liked it. I thought he was decrepit and barely able to keep up with the others. I think Charlie had to goose his tired ass all night. There was a few moments, but mostly he's running on fumes.

Wash out your ears

Date: December 18, 2012 14:58

texas fan
Keith played the role he needed to play to make the show work. He doesn't carry the band on most songs anymore, but he stopped posing and gave us some meaty and thoughtful sounds, and from time to time he raised the energy in the room kind of like he used to. Kudos to Ronnie and Mick, but it all works together. Without Keith doing his thing, they could not have shined.

Listen to IORR, Midnight Rambler, Before They Make Me Run, Happy, SMU, JJF, BS, WH, TD, GS and Satisfaction (I probably forgot some others as well).

That's a good lot of songs, and indeed he is carrying the band on them all thumbs up

Posted by: rvfowler ()
Date: December 18, 2012 15:35

This is definately a different Keith. He is admittedly not as mobile on stage so we've lost the posing and the hamming. What we got back was a competent somewhat solid guitar player. From what I saw he carried a lot of the guitar load and Ronnie did fills and solos. That was more than I expected from 69 year old Keith at this point. They played really really well and if by chance they would like to bring Mick Taylor along on future shows it adds a whole new element. They could carry on a while longer if they wanted and if they don't want to they have given us enough.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1718
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home