Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

MT CYHMK/No Expectations from 11/30
Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 10, 2012 19:39

Mick in a good mood. At the beginning of CYHMK Mick says it is a song he has not played with the band "yet." During "No Ex" he says "take me to the airport, fly me to you NY" What a tease. But really...Wouldn't CYHMK be a better choice than MR?

Re: MT CYHMK/No Expectations from 11/30
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 10, 2012 19:53

Wouldn't CYHMK be a better choice than MR?

Sure but wouldn't it be a way to acknowledge MT's huge contribution to the song... a song credited Jagger/Richards!

So in order to not open a Pandora's box I guess Jagger will never ask MT to play on CYHMK or MMile.
Otoh MR is safe.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 10, 2012 21:31

Well he certainly didn't write the riff, he doesn't even play it in that video.

What a sad version of "No Expectations" though...how can he do stuff like that? When I think of the version we got at the rehearsals the other day, it's like night and day.

Date: December 10, 2012 21:37

dcba
Wouldn't CYHMK be a better choice than MR?

Sure but wouldn't it be a way to acknowledge MT's huge contribution to the song... a song credited Jagger/Richards!

So in order to not open a Pandora's box I guess Jagger will never ask MT to play on CYHMK or MMile.
Otoh MR is safe.

Taylor plays a beautiful, but simple solo in the ending of a masterpiece track, which he didn´t write! Why on earth should they be afraid of acknowledging his contributions?

Bring it on for the next shows (and the tour next year), I´d say!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 10, 2012 23:19

DandelionPowderman
Why on earth should they be afraid of acknowledging his contributions?

Imagine he sues them (or theathens to do so) and after an out-of-court settlement he finally gets credits for these two tracks... with a reclaim on royalties back to 71 attached.

It's common knowledge Mick & Keith f@ckd Taylor over with these two songs.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 11, 2012 01:44

I do not mind the No Exp rhythm variation at all, but I wonder what happened to the sweet slide solo he used to play during it. That is the part he matters most on.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 11, 2012 06:00

Sad version of No Expectations, ironic lyrics sung by MT, "take me to NY" kind of sad, like he knew it was slipping away again.

Date: December 11, 2012 10:31

dcba
DandelionPowderman

Imagine he sues them (or theathens to do so) and after an out-of-court settlement he finally gets credits for these two tracks... with a reclaim on royalties back to 71 attached.

No it isn't (CYHMK). As Taylor says himself, the ending was just a jam. And on half of that jam, Taylor plays Bobby's horn riff.

On Moonlight Mile, Taylor at least claims to have written the string riff, and not the rest of the song, as keith had written the first riff (aka "the japanese thing" ), and Mick J. the rest:

- I sort of had a hand in co-writing that, in a way. Or at least I wrote the riff the string part is based on.

Mick Taylor 2012

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-11 10:32 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 11, 2012 10:49

Thanks for sharing; it isn't new, but MT is a genius on guitar!

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: December 11, 2012 13:07

DandelionPowderman
dcba
DandelionPowderman

No it isn't (CYHMK). As Taylor says himself, the ending was just a jam. And on half of that jam, Taylor plays Bobby's horn riff.

On Moonlight Mile, Taylor at least claims to have written the string riff, and not the rest of the song, as keith had written the first riff (aka "the japanese thing" ), and Mick J. the rest:

- I sort of had a hand in co-writing that, in a way. Or at least I wrote the riff the string part is based on.

Mick Taylor 2012

Keith, Mick T and Mick Jagger have their own stories to tell about Moonlight Mile.

I doubt they remember it themselves.

Date: December 11, 2012 13:10

VT22
DandelionPowderman
dcba
DandelionPowderman

Mick Taylor 2012

Keith, Mick T and Mick Jagger have their own stories to tell about Moonlight Mile.

They all agree, though. Why doubt them? Everybody says Mick Jagger wrote it, they all agree about Keith creating the opening (aka "the japanese thing" ) and Taylor says he wrote the motif for the strings.

The only thing they don't agree on, however, is whether the latter contribution was sufficient for a song writing credit...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-11 13:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 11, 2012 13:52

DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
dcba
DandelionPowderman

Mick Taylor 2012

They all agree, though. Why doubt them? Everybody says Mick Jagger wrote it, they all agree about Keith creating the opening (aka "the japanese thing" ) and Taylor says he wrote the motif for the strings.

The only thing they don't agree on, however, is whether the latter contribution was sufficient for a song writing credit...

I am referring to your first link [www.timeisonourside.com]. According to Keith It's all Mick's (Jagger). Keith claims he had nothing to do with MM at all. Who knows, maybe Keith's memories (if he has any at all) of a late night session with Jones: This "Japanese thing" is a terribly vague musical hint to me. The late 6-tees and early 7-tees were drenched in drugs. I doubt Taylor did the string arrangement btw, more likely Jim Price. Anyway, I haven't ever seen the score of the song written by the Stones yet. IMO it's basically Jagger having big guitar and vocals fun, so lets just enjoy the song. It's one of their best ever, a masterpiece actually.

Date: December 11, 2012 16:49

VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
dcba
DandelionPowderman

Mick Taylor 2012

I am referring to your first link [www.timeisonourside.com]. According to Keith It's all Mick's (Jagger). Keith claims he had nothing to do with MM at all. Who knows, maybe Keith's memories (if he has any at all) of a late night session with Jones: This "Japanese thing" is a terribly vague musical hint to me. The late 6-tees and early 7-tees were drenched in drugs. I doubt Taylor did the string arrangement btw, more likely Jim Price. Anyway, I haven't ever seen the score of the song written by the Stones yet. IMO it's basically Jagger having big guitar and vocals fun, so lets just enjoy the song. It's one of their best ever, a masterpiece actually.

He talks about the recording of MM there. He correctly states that he didn't play on the track, but that they used his idea "the japanese thing (Jagger on acoustic) on the recording. I've seen several interviews where he's been saying that.

It is indeed one of their best ever, my favourite Stones track thumbs up

Date: December 11, 2012 18:00

DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
dcba
DandelionPowderman

Mick Taylor 2012

He talks about the recording of MM there. He correctly states that he didn't play on the track, but that they used his idea "the japanese thing (Jagger on acoustic) on the recording. I've seen several interviews where he's been saying that.

DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
dcba
DandelionPowderman

Mick Taylor 2012

Pfffffff.. "I remember Mick Taylor playing that song. Real dreamy kind of semi-Middle Eastern piece. Yeah, that's a real pretty song - and a nice string arrangement". Mick Jagger, 1995.

Seemingly Japan is located in the Middle east. Your guess is as good as mine, let's leave it at that.

Date: December 11, 2012 18:03

VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
dcba
DandelionPowderman

Mick Taylor 2012

DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
dcba
DandelionPowderman

Mick Taylor 2012

Pfffffff.. "I remember Mick Taylor playing that song. Real dreamy kind of semi-Middle Eastern piece. Yeah, that's a real pretty song - and a nice string arrangement". Mick Jagger, 1995.

Seemingly Japan is located in the Middle east. Your guess is as good as mine, let's leave it at that.

Yeah, he confirms what I said. I don't know whether Mick or Keith has the best geographical skills, though - I think Keith reads the most, actually - who knows? thumbs up

Date: December 11, 2012 18:07

No, he doesn't.

"Moonlight Mile was all Mick's. As far as I can remember, Mick came in with the whole idea of that, and the band just figured out how to play it".

- Keith Richards, Life (2010)

I still question Keith's memory. Would be great if you post Keith's original version here though, problem solved smiling smiley

Date: December 11, 2012 20:07

As you know well, I've done that several times smiling smiley I'm listening to my daughter violin concert now, but will get back to you on this one smiling smiley

Date: December 11, 2012 21:35

No, I don't know what you're talking about. Would be great to hear that.smiling smiley

Date: December 12, 2012 10:16

VT22
No, I don't know what you're talking about. Would be great to hear that.smiling smiley

Not hear, read!

This is the original interview statement (from 1971):

"I thought I wasn't on Moonlight Mile but the last riff everybody gets into playing is a riff I'd been playing on earlier tapes before I dropped out".
- Keith Richards, 1971

"Taylor had taken a short guitar piece recorded by Richards (entitled "Japanese Thing" ) and reworked it for the session".

"It was Taylor's idea to add a string arrangement by Paul Buckmaster to the song".

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-12 10:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1757
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home