Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Brits are big time boozers
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 18, 2012 18:07

Thought I would grab your attention with that title, something to discuss on a Sunday.

Found this interesting article about how America's beer industry giants are threatening to "remake America in the image of booze-soaked Britain." I am wondering what all the British members out there, or anyone really, thinks of the drinking problem in England, does it really exist, how bad do you think it is?

The article's long, so don't feel you have to read it all.

[www.washingtonmonthly.com]

The website I found the article on included this fun little video entitled: "Ten Things That Make Us British: Binge Drinking."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-18 18:44 by latebloomer.

Re: OT: Brits are big time boozers
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 18, 2012 18:13

i don't see how you can put drinking and problem in the same sentence....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 18, 2012 18:20

StonesTod

"I have a problem with people who don't enjoy excessive drinking".

It's a finesse thing.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 18, 2012 18:30

I thought the Philadelphia Flyer fans were the biggest drinkers

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 18, 2012 18:30

There's no denying that drinking in Britain is a problem, a huge one actually. It's not exactly a 5 minute discussion this, but my own opinion is that there is regrettably a binge drinking culture that prevails across the UK, and it manifests itself on Friday & Saturday nights across the entire country in towns small and large - wreaking havoc all too often. And equally unfortunately, Britain exports this culture through the hordes that go to the Mediterranean countries in the summer, ski resorts in the winter, not to mention pretty much all the other countries/rest of the world regardless of season.

In the same way that a popular observation about some sectors of American society that visit Europe is that "they don't travel well"; by the same token the face of Britain that is exported through the multitudes that enact excessive/binge (call it what you like) drinking overseas merits much the same observation, that neither do "we travel well". sad smiley

Sad but true

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-18 18:54 by paulywaul.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 18, 2012 18:31

Sting and his wife Trudie once joined Howard Stern on his radio show in imbibing to slight excess (with gin-and-tonics I think). It was sort of the theme of that particular show. That night on Extra (TV) a journalist caught Sting and Trudie leaving the radio studio and asked them about their drinking on the radio, and Trudie said, "All English are alcoholics." Sting just smirked and they kept walking.

Comedian Jake Johannsen has a bit: "I've learned that if you drink from a flask in public, people are so quick to judge you. I've had people say to me, `Uh, Jake, maybe you have a problem.' And I just say, `Maybe I have the solution.'"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-18 20:18 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: November 18, 2012 18:36

I think in Britain the culture is too much about getting pissed. I like the idea of a few pints in the local but that always seems to lead to a club and getting trolleyed.

Date: November 18, 2012 18:42

Beer seems to cause less problems than liquor. Although the Health community states that one beer is equivalent to one beer, I don't think that is really true. At least not in my case. I refuse to drink any liquored drink. But light beer is ok IMHO. Anyone agree that liquor is a different animal that can cetainly lead to moe problems?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 18, 2012 18:49

Chris Fountain
Beer seems to cause less problems than liquor. Although the Health community states that one beer is equivalent to one beer, I don't think that is really true. At least not in my case. I refuse to drink any liquored drink. But light beer is ok IMHO. Anyone agree that liquor is a different animal that can cetainly lead to moe problems?

Is that the Mental Health community?

Date: November 18, 2012 18:51

treaclefingers
Chris Fountain

Is that the Mental Health community?

No i actually meant Anheuser Busch. (sic)

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: November 18, 2012 19:15

Any Brit posting here this afternoon is not worthy of being called a Brit

Everyone knows Sunday afternoon is for drinking heavily

My excuse is i'm working smileys with beer

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 18, 2012 19:33

Well, Sweden, Finland, Canada and Russia is part of the so called Vodka belt. For a long time here in Sweden it was a tradition to get plastered every weekend. And we drank vodka, wine were for women. To a large part that has changed now. We have adopted the continental way of drinking, i e replaced vodka with wine and beer (and more spread over the week). But now we are getting a lot of winos...

Date: November 18, 2012 19:35

I wonder if Keith Richards' alcoholism would have been worse had he lived mostly in Britain, rather than the US. I am sure Patti Hansen's return to her devout Christian roots had something to do with him cutting down on his drinking. Americans do have that puritan streak which is very disapproving of excessive drinking.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 18, 2012 19:38

There is not much worse than making vast generalizations about any group of humans based on one small sample.

Date: November 18, 2012 19:39

Humans are humans no matter where on Earth they are from.

Date: November 18, 2012 19:44

Max'sKansasCity
There is not much worse than making vast generalizations about any group of humans based on one small sample.

What's a little generalization between friends? That's a big word, did we spell that right, Max?

Date: November 18, 2012 19:46

latebloomer
Max'sKansasCity

What's a little generalization between friends? That's a big word, did we spell that right, Max?

I could have made it longer, generaliztionationseions, but it would mean the same thing winking smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 18, 2012 19:54

Yep, we have a problem with binge-drinking here in the UK. Too many youngsters - and a few a little too old, I might add - seem to think it the norm to get plastered on a Friday and Saturday evening. I love a beer on a regular basis, but thankfully, the days of causing havoc in the pubs and clubs and gone. No more getting hauled out of nightclubs by bouncers or coughing my guts up in the alleyway outside. What a pretty picture I paint! These days I may have a few after work or when I attend a local pub quiz on a Sunday. That's my lot.

Date: November 18, 2012 19:55

If the British don't drink, then why do they drive on the wong side of the road?

Date: November 18, 2012 20:04

I have heard that it is not uncommon in some parts of Eastern Europe to see drunks lying in the gutters semi-conscious on a regular basis. I’m thinking ex-soviet nations like the Ukraine, here. I don’t think the UK is the only nation in Europe to suffer from alcohol-related problems.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 18, 2012 20:08

One British thing we have adopted in Sweden (for good or worse) is their pub culture. Now there is a pub (often in British style) around every corner in bigger Sweden cities.
And the "after-work" tradition has grown quite strong here (instead of going home after work you go to a pub with your colleagues).

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 18, 2012 20:16

Big Al
I have heard that it is not uncommon in some parts of Eastern Europe to see drunks lying in the gutters semi-conscious on a regular basis.

Well, it ain't just Eastern Europe:

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 18, 2012 20:16

In London people have been more apt to refill my wine glass than in California.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-18 20:17 by Title5Take1.

Date: November 18, 2012 20:41

Stoneage
One British thing we have adopted in Sweden (for good or worse) is their pub culture. Now there is a pub (often in British style) around every corner in bigger Sweden cities.
And the "after-work" tradition has grown quite strong here (instead of going home after work you go to a pub with your colleagues).

Wow, that's great. Can we have some of our pubs back, though? Too many of ours are closing. IMO, there is nothing wrong with a few post-work drinks.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: November 18, 2012 20:56

Does this thread have a Springsteen agenda? No, they why is it on IORR?!!!

Date: November 18, 2012 20:58

Edith Grove
Big Al
I have heard that it is not uncommon in some parts of Eastern Europe to see drunks lying in the gutters semi-conscious on a regular basis.

Well, it ain't just Eastern Europe:

Lee- the guy is only looking in shoe to find change to purchase a USA Today. They have a great Sports section!!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 18, 2012 20:58

treaclefingers
StonesTod

"I have a problem with people who don't enjoy excessive drinking".

It's a finesse thing.

I don't have a drinking problem, I only have a policeman problem...or something.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 18, 2012 21:00

Chris Fountain
Lee- the guy is only looking in shoe to find change to purchase a USA Today. They have a great Sports section!!

That sounds reasonable.

I thought he might have had too much Mardi Gras !

-
Date: November 18, 2012 21:04

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-18 21:40 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 18, 2012 21:28

latebloomer
I wonder if Keith Richards' alcoholism would have been worse had he lived mostly in Britain, rather than the US. I am sure Patti Hansen's return to her devout Christian roots had something to do with him cutting down on his drinking. Americans do have that puritan streak which is very disapproving of excessive drinking.

We exported most of our Puritans to the colonies in the seventeenth century, and all the wicked reprobates got left here.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2253
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home