Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT-Jeff Beck& Cars.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 12, 2010 23:25

What a life this guy must have..

Re: OT-Jeff Beck& Cars.
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 13, 2010 00:00

Date: December 13, 2010 00:22

I bet you like cars and music.....

Date: December 13, 2010 00:45

Amsterdamned

Rock n Roll, dude

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 13, 2010 07:26

One wonders though how much money Beck has to play with. He hasn't had any really big hits??? So he cant be raking in the money to buy a lot of cars???

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: December 13, 2010 08:38

whitem8
One wonders though how much money Beck has to play with. He hasn't had any really big hits??? So he cant be raking in the money to buy a lot of cars???

I've wondered this too. The video is the most I've seen, but I've seen pictures of his garage and cars before, and read numerous times how he works on cars a lot. After seeing more of the pictures over the last few years, I've wondered how he affords them too. Especially after hearing he doesn't/hasn't made the money contemporaries like Page and Clapton have.

I seem to recall something fairly recently about his records selling squat nowadays, and he doesn't make much from live shows. Maybe he saved what he made, or has invested well, or something like that. He certainly doesn't appear broke. Did you get a look at that garage, that alone must have cost a small fortune.

Posted by: Damon ()
Date: December 13, 2010 10:20

Jeff had a mean uncle

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 13, 2010 11:37

and Johnny had a mean guitarsound

Date: December 13, 2010 12:20

bustedtrousers
whitem8

I've wondered this too. The video is the most I've seen, but I've seen pictures of his garage and cars before, and read numerous times how he works on cars a lot. After seeing more of the pictures over the last few years, I've wondered how he affords them too. Especially after hearing he doesn't/hasn't made the money contemporaries like Page and Clapton have.

I seem to recall something fairly recently about his records selling squat nowadays, and he doesn't make much from live shows. Maybe he saved what he made, or has invested well, or something like that. He certainly doesn't appear broke. Did you get a look at that garage, that alone must have cost a small fortune.

In the first place Jeff is a well payed and in demand ( session ) player.
If you can permit to refuse to join the Stones, and Jagger for a solo tour...

He is also known as someone who likes to fix and repair cars/oldtimers himself.
Maybe it's his second job..smoking smiley

There's a nice drawing on his album "Jeff Beck's guitar shop",
illustrating both:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-13 12:21 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 13, 2010 12:41

From these clips it is fairly obvious his first passion is cars and music comes second.He definately sounds more interested talking about cars than his music.I bet he has more mates who are mechanics and hot-rod owners than friends in the music game.A very cool guy. smoking smiley

Date: December 13, 2010 13:18

Damon
Jeff had a mean uncle

Here is his uncle..cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-13 13:21 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 15, 2010 19:55

Edith Grove

I want this car right now.

Date: December 15, 2010 20:17

Amsterdamned

Sure I do .
Can I join the party ? cool smiley

Date: December 15, 2010 20:24

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: December 15, 2010 20:53

here's a little stocking-stuffer for Jeff's holiday season

Posted by: Max Volume!!! ()
Date: December 15, 2010 21:40

When Ronnie appeared on Top Gear, he talked about how Jeff Beck was a great getaway driver back in the day when their band was fleeing gangs at the Blue Boar on the M1. If you haven't seen it, check out

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: December 15, 2010 21:43

Amsterdamned
Damon
Jeff had a mean uncle

Here is his uncle..cool smiley

I remember seeing this years ago. He really is one of, if not THE greatest electric guitar players ever.

Date: December 15, 2010 21:59

SwayStones

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: December 15, 2010 22:01

Looks like someone painted Jim Rockford's car blue.

SwayStones
Edith Grove

Date: December 15, 2010 22:05

1cdog
Looks like someone painted Jim Rockford's car blue.

Rockford's car was a Trans Am, wasn't it?

Mine is the "Esprit" model Firebird.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: December 15, 2010 22:13

I've wondered how Jeff has stayed financially flush over the years as well. He's kept his 15th-century country estate and fleet of hot rods when many of his more successful peers have had to scale back. Maybe he invested wisely. He didn't come from a wealthy family.

Three things in his favor (possibly): he never got in deep with drugs/alcohol, he doesn't have any children, and he was only divorced once.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-15 22:14 by Claire_M.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: December 16, 2010 04:36

Claire_M
I've wondered how Jeff has stayed financially flush over the years as well. He's kept his 15th-century country estate and fleet of hot rods when many of his more successful peers have had to scale back. Maybe he invested wisely. He didn't come from a wealthy family.

Three things in his favor (possibly): he never got in deep with drugs/alcohol, he doesn't have any children, and he was only divorced once.

Thank you. After the lecture I received above for wondering the same thing, it's nice to see I'm not the only one.

Edith Grove

Rockford's car was a Trans Am, wasn't it?

Mine is the "Esprit" model Firebird.

It was a Firebird.

If that's your's in the photo, I really dig it. I like those whitewalls.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 16, 2010 14:48

Amsterdamned
bustedtrousers
whitem8

illustrating both:

Just to be historically correct: Beck was never offered a position in the Stones, and Jagger turned his back on Beck as he demanded too much money for the tour.

Anyways. Beck to this day is, incomprehensibly, a name able to play on festivals and the like. Average earnings for a name like Beck on a festival with 10.000 paying visitors would be in the $30K range. If you do 10 of them each year, plus some short scale tour, guest spots with Clapton and the like, add some session work and his income is in the $400K - $500K range.

Sufficient to have a good life and waste your time on cars.

Mathijs

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 16, 2010 16:50

Nothing beats a nice 1970 - 1972 Cutlass Supreme...

Date: December 16, 2010 18:14

Edith Grove
SwayStones

smiling bouncing smiley

I didn't know Elton sang such lyrics ....

<<Let me be your car for a while child

I wanna shift me into gear and I'll be there

Fill me up with five star gasoline girl

Come on I'll be your car, I'll take you anywhere

Let me be your car, come on and drive me

I'm a speedy little boy down deep inside

I got bucket seats and two speed window cleaners oh yeah

Oh just let me be your car, oh come on and ride

Well my physique just don't look

The way the physiques really should

But then again I've got an engine

Underneath my hood

When I'm cutting up the road yeah

With a sports car on my tail

Frankenstein's inside my mind

And the wind's inside my sails

Let me be your car, come on and drive me

I'm a speedy little boy deep inside

I got bucket seats and two speed window cleaners yeah

I'll be your car, oh come on and ride oh ride me now

Well I'm cruising in the fast lane

And stuck behind the wheel

Well Jekyll and Hyde going on inside

When I'm your automobile

Well let me be your car for a while child

Shift me into gear, I'll be there

Fill me up with five star gasoline girl yeah

Oh I'll be your car, I'll take you anywhere

Come on let me ride you.

Come on let me ride you.

Oopssss...hope bv won't think I offended you .
I am just talking about cars ....what else ?smoking smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: December 16, 2010 19:22

Mathijs
Amsterdamned
bustedtrousers
whitem8

illustrating both:

Just to be historically correct: Beck was never offered a position in the Stones, and Jagger turned his back on Beck as he demanded too much money for the tour.

Mathijs

I understand it the other way around, according to Jeff Beck ofcourse, both on joining the Stones as well as touring with Jagger.

Date: December 16, 2010 19:41

Someone did a nice job on this video:

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 17, 2010 10:26

Amsterdamned
Mathijs
Amsterdamned
bustedtrousers
whitem8

illustrating both:

Mathijs

I understand it the other way around, according to Jeff Beck ofcourse, both on joining the Stones as well as touring with Jagger.

Both the Stones (Wyman, Richards, Jagger) and Beck have stated that it really didn't fit, and that they didn't get along at all in '75. Beck mentioned that the Stones couldn't 'funk it up', and that he left after three days waiting for Keith. The outtakes of Beck with the Stones aren't exactly inspiring. With Jagger he had a row about money, Beck demanded more than Jagger would give him.

Mathijs

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 17, 2010 10:47

Mathijs
Amsterdamned
bustedtrousers
whitem8

illustrating both:

Anyways. Beck to this day is, incomprehensibly, a name able to play on festivals and the like. Average earnings for a name like Beck on a festival with 10.000 paying visitors would be in the $30K range. If you do 10 of them each year, plus some short scale tour, guest spots with Clapton and the like, add some session work and his income is in the $400K - $500K range.

Sufficient to have a good life and waste your time on cars.

Mathijs

<<< Sufficient to have a good life and waste your time on cars >>>

Classic quote ! Entirely agree, what's with this car thing ? Did he have a deprived childhood, not enough dinky toys in his Christmas stocking ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: December 18, 2010 00:04

Mathijs
Amsterdamned
Mathijs
Amsterdamned
bustedtrousers
whitem8

illustrating both:

Mathijs

Both the Stones (Wyman, Richards, Jagger) and Beck have stated that it really didn't fit, and that they didn't get along at all in '75. Beck mentioned that the Stones couldn't 'funk it up', and that he left after three days waiting for Keith. The outtakes of Beck with the Stones aren't exactly inspiring. With Jagger he had a row about money, Beck demanded more than Jagger would give him.

Mathijs

Jeff Beck stated Jagger offered him a fee.

Keith Richards didnt's show up when Jeff Beck was there.
Simular story with Rory Gallaghar btw.

I cannot imagine players like Beck and Gallagher went to Rotterdam to beg for Taylor's job. At least they where welcome for an audition.It can imply a job offer.They din't need the Stones,as their where very succesful themselves already.
Nothing wrong with a nice jam?

Beck has stated several times that the Stones workflow was too slow for him,and that he probably would get bored very soon anyway. The reason that Keith didnt'show up for Jeff likely had something to do with mutual musical disagreements,such as playing skills/approach and life style imo. Btw not showing up is quite arrogant and inert behaviour,to say the least. I don't blame Beck. Junkies suck.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1780
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home