Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: PAUL McCARTNEY on Saturday Night Live (SNL)
Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: December 14, 2010 06:35

They played the Apollo tonight and Ronnie and Keith went and sat together-good sign

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 14, 2010 22:46

the quality gap between Maccas Beatles and post-Beatles stuff is amazing, isn't it

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 14, 2010 23:42

slewan
the quality gap between Maccas Beatles and post-Beatles stuff is amazing, isn't it
Not really. I think he did some really great stuff solo. No to mention the success he had with Wings and to his credit he focuses on his whole career during his live shows and doesn't just trot out the Beatles stuff.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: December 15, 2010 00:47

We have here a OT!!!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: December 15, 2010 00:53

Who really cares if the thread aint titled OT???

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 15, 2010 03:27

sweetcharmedlife
slewan
Not really. I think he did some really great stuff solo. No to mention the success he had with Wings and to his credit he focuses on his whole career during his live shows and doesn't just trot out the Beatles stuff.

If his solo stuff is so great, how come the newest song he played on SNL is thirty-seven years old?

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: December 15, 2010 03:42

tatters
sweetcharmedlife
slewan

If his solo stuff is so great, how come the newest song he played on SNL is thirty-seven years old?

As a solo performer he hasn't been very consistent in terms of quality of his releases but there are couple of gems in his discography which are hardly inferior to his Beatles work.This can especially apply to the albums that came out in the wake of The Beatles break up.RAM is the prime example of what Paul is capable of when inspired enough and The Band on The Run is not far from it either even if it deviates from The Beatles sound more so than the aforementioned RAM.Other albums worth noting are Tug of war which may be too slick for some folks but contains some wonderfully heart-felt performances and a couple of filler tracks which prevent it from being on par with his best work and Flaming Pie and Chaos and Creation are totally worth owning as well.To be quite honest I haven't really paid much attention to his other albums even though I own most of them.There's a lot of worthy tracks to be found amidst them but the filler factor might be too high.

Date: December 15, 2010 03:43

tatters
sweetcharmedlife
slewan

Because he got three songs to do. In concert he does 27. Plenty of time to stretch out and not have to pander to network TV Execs. Plus he's trying to promote the Band on the Run reissue. So technically it's new.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: December 15, 2010 03:46

I forgot to mention Mccartney which is a great record despite sounding like a demo recording that Paul wasn't compelled enough to complete,

Date: December 15, 2010 03:54

sweetcharmedlife
tatters
sweetcharmedlife
slewan

Because he got three songs to do. In concert he does 27. Plenty of time to stretch out and not have to pander to network TV Execs. Plus he's trying to promote the Band on the Run reissue. So technically it's new.eye rolling smiley

Last time I saw him (2005), he acted as if Band On The Run was his CURRENT album. Almost nothing he played was recorded later than 1973. When I saw him in 1976, he was playing more post-BOTR songs than he did in 2005. Maybe it's different now, I really don't know.

Date: December 15, 2010 04:03

I dunno he always does a fine amount of new material when he has a new record out and last I remember he also did Flaming Pie and Calico skies on his recent tours which are relatively recent songs.The thing is people wanna see McCartney because he is the only act that can perform The Beatles' song with some authority and authenticity and as a performer he is not afraid to acknowledge that fact despite the possibility that some people might label him as a nostalgic act.As long as he does those songs well enough for the Beatles fans to hear their favorite songs in a live setting the way they are meant to be heard, there's really nothing wrong with it.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 15, 2010 05:05

he certainly sounds a bit flat at times, but recall that SNL's sound is always poor. I don't know how they continue to bring in top artists when the bands always sound like they're playing in a closet. Or why they don't upgrade.

but it's true, his guitarists look like they're in Bon Jovi or Cheap Trick. Could do without the self-satisfied looks every time they successfully reproduce a lick from the (ancient) records.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-15 05:37 by cc.

Date: December 15, 2010 06:05

tatters
sweetcharmedlife
tatters
sweetcharmedlife
slewan

Last time I saw him (2005), he acted as if Band On The Run was his CURRENT album. Almost nothing he played was recorded later than 1973. When I saw him in 1976, he was playing more post-BOTR songs than he did in 2005. Maybe it's different now, I really don't know.
Seen a Stones show in the last 20 years. Tell me how many of their songs are current?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 15, 2010 06:08

tatters
sweetcharmedlife
tatters
sweetcharmedlife
slewan

Tatters you saw him in '76? Where, and how as it? I love Wings Over America! Great live show. And yes, he was playing ton of his recent stuff, mainly because it was his first tour of the US since The Beatles and he wanted to be defined as Paul McCartney and the Wings...hence he only did five Beatles songs during the 76 tour... But now he is packing his shows with lots of Beatles a few Wings and a few solo stuff...I for one wish he would do more Wings! But I was very happy that he did a few off of Electric Arguments, that is a great album, but is now a few years old!

Date: December 15, 2010 08:45

tatters
sweetcharmedlife
slewan

I think as was said above this is because he is promoting Band on the Run...when he was on Letterman doing the roof top concernt he did two songs from his latest album, Electric Arguments. And for my money that might possibly be his best solo album he has done. Not a bad track on it.

Date: December 15, 2010 17:11

sweetcharmedlife
tatters
sweetcharmedlife
tatters
sweetcharmedlife
slewan

Seen a Stones show in the last 20 years. Tell me how many of their songs are current?

On the next tour, everything they play from EOMS will be current because, technically, it's new!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 15, 2010 17:14

whitem8
I think as was said above this is because he is promoting Band on the Run...when he was on Letterman doing the roof top concernt he did two songs from his latest album, Electric Arguments. And for my money that might possibly be his best solo album he has done. Not a bad track on it.

that's right. And Electric Arguments is quite good--a lot of the credit probably goes to his collaborator Youth, from Killing Joke.

Date: December 15, 2010 17:20

whitem8
tatters
sweetcharmedlife
tatters
sweetcharmedlife
slewan

Tatters you saw him in '76? Where, and how as it? I love Wings Over America! Great live show. And yes, he was playing ton of his recent stuff, mainly because it was his first tour of the US since The Beatles and he wanted to be defined as Paul McCartney and the Wings...hence he only did five Beatles songs during the 76 tour... But now he is packing his shows with lots of Beatles a few Wings and a few solo stuff...I for one wish he would do more Wings! But I was very happy that he did a few off of Electric Arguments, that is a great album, but is now a few years old!

I saw Wings at the Nassau Coliseum on Long Island, New York, May 21, 1976. It was very, very exciting. Paul's first New York concert since Shea Stadium. You weren't just seeing a former Beatle then. You were seeing someone who, potentially, could STILL be a Beatle. There was a level of electricity that just isn't there now. Wings Over America doesn't really capture it. The crowd noise is mixed WAY down on that album. In reality, it was the loudest crowd I've ever been a part of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-15 17:27 by tatters.

Date: December 15, 2010 17:38

Very cool Tatters! Yeah, Wings Over American is a mixture of stuff from the US tour, but a good live album none the less... I can't even imagine how intense the atmosphere must have been...great description you offered, thanks! Do you have a program or pics?

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: December 15, 2010 21:05

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 15, 2010 21:27

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 15, 2010 23:04

Missed it, but thanks for posting these. Saw Macca a few years ago and I was like a little kid.
Macca always looks like he's enjoying it. I agree about the band - love how they're faithful to the songs, but still give it some edgier sounds.

Date: December 16, 2010 02:57

whitem8
Very cool Tatters! Yeah, Wings Over American is a mixture of stuff from the US tour, but a good live album none the less... I can't even imagine how intense the atmosphere must have been...great description you offered, thanks! Do you have a program or pics?

I bought the program, but it's long-since vanished. I think the atmosphere had a lot to do with seeing him in New York, where an appearance by John Lennon COULD conceivably have been just a taxi cab ride away. Wings Over America doesn't capture that electricity, but what it does very accurately capture is the performances, and the way in which they played everything with a much harder edge than the audience (who had only previously heard the studio versions) expected. There was no getting around the limitations of some of the material, though. A live version of "Silly Love Songs" that rocks a little harder than the studio version is STILL "Silly Love Songs", after all. I read recently that he had considered doing "Hey Jude" as an encore in '76. That would have been incredible. If he had done "Hey Jude", he could have made it the only Beatle song in the set and it would still have satisfied the crowd. We would have gone deliriously beserk. As it was, the roar that erupted each time he began one of the five Beatles songs he did do was unlike anything I've ever heard at any other concert I've ever been to. I think the crowd was trying to send Paul a message. "Get the Beatles back together!"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-16 17:10 by tatters.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1303
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home