Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
If Doom and Gloom Had Been Released in an Earlier Year, Then...
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: November 2, 2012 23:48

If Doom and Gloom had been released in an earlier year, then on what CD would it have fit in perfectly. In other words, what CD or album would it fit in really well with the other songs?

I think it could have been on Exile on Main Street, somewhere between All Down the Line and Soul Survivor.

Comments?

Re: If Doom and Gloom Had Been Released in an Earlier Year, Then...
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 2, 2012 23:50

It could have been on A Bigger Bang.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 2, 2012 23:52

woulda fit beautifully on forty licks, snuggled nicely somewhere between don't stop and stealing my heart...

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: November 3, 2012 00:00

Goddess in the Doorway is about the only place I see it fitting. I listened to it 3 times and stopped. No melody or catchy chorus. Very subpar for the Stones

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 3, 2012 00:00

Emotional Rescue.

It would have been the highlight.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 3, 2012 00:03

Even if I know the weaknesses of the the song, Doom and Gloom is rather strong (even if it features Mick only). It has a great and simple groove (of course it is a little vulgar as well), but nobody released a better R'n'R song this year, apart from Dylan who gave us an outstanding album.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 3, 2012 00:05

.......'61 Little Boys Blue rehearsals

ROCKMAN

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 3, 2012 00:13

Exile...or Dirty Work, not a very catch chorus indeed, but it sure has a mean groove and Mick's best lyrics in years.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 3, 2012 00:18

but nobody released a better R'n'R song this year

The Dylan was a bore ... snapped the CD in half and threw it out the indow

Neil Young -- Psychedelic Poo ... another yawn fest ... and that cymbal-crashin drummer should be shot

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: November 3, 2012 00:28

Rockman

Neil Young -- Psychedelic Poo ... another yawn fest ... and that cymbal-crashin drummer should be shot

The Dylan album is grower. Pull it back out and give the first five tunes a whirl. Strong stuff.
T@3

Date: November 3, 2012 00:53

TeaAtThree
Rockman

The Dylan album is grower. Pull it back out and give the first five tunes a whirl. Strong stuff.
T@3

i guess those first five would be on the first half of the disc, terry...see if you can find it....

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: November 3, 2012 05:46

Interesting thread question. With the vocals way too loud in the mix as they are on D&G, and the generic drum sound combined with the homogenized through a computer sounding guitar......i really can't see D&G fitting on ANY previous album in a seamless way. With much more raw production values maybe put D&G on Voodoo lounge right before Mean Disposition.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: November 3, 2012 14:31

TeaAtThree
Rockman

T@3

Its a shrinker. I've tried hard to like but I'm getting more and more angry about it. The lyrics he could have published in a book. There is no voice, no songwriting. The band (good musicians) are noodling the same parts all over again.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 3, 2012 15:59

flilflam
If Doom and Gloom had been released in an earlier year, then on what CD would it have fit in perfectly. In other words, what CD or album would it fit in really well with the other songs?

I think it could have been on Exile on Main Street, somewhere between All Down the Line and Soul Survivor.

Comments?

I don't see «Doom and Gloom» as a typical album track, but rather as single material in the vein of their single A-sides from the later '60s and into the early '70s. The lyrics not considered, as to musical style, with "Doom and Gloom"'s family likeness as finished product (in my perspective) to "Street Fighting Man", but more single oriented than that one, it might have been released as a single in 1970, after "Honky Tonk Women" and LET IT BLEED and before STICKY FINGERS. That is, released following not too tightly after "Street Fighting Man"'s album BEGGARS BANQUET, but with a single release in between them. Released as a double A-side, consisting of the two versions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-03 20:53 by Witness.

Date: November 3, 2012 16:13

Witness
flilflam

Comments?

I don't see «Doom and Gloom» as a typical album track, but rather as single material in the vein of their single A-sides from the later '60s and into the early '70s. The lyrics not considered, as to musical style, with its family likeness as finished product (in my perspective) to "Street Fighting Man", but more single oriented than that one, it might have been released as a single in 1970, after "Honky Tonk Women" and LET IT BLEED and before STICKY FINGERS. That is, released following not to tightly after "Street Fighting Man"'s album BEGGARS BANQUET, but with a single release in between them. Released as a double A-side, consisting of the two versions.

what?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 3, 2012 16:16

GravityBoy
Emotional Rescue.

Any kind of dog crap would of been a highlight on ER

Date: November 3, 2012 16:19

More Hot Rocks
GravityBoy
Emotional Rescue.

even a hungarian wirehaired vizsla's??

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 3, 2012 16:35

StonesTod
Witness
flilflam

Comments?

I don't see «Doom and Gloom» as a typical album track, but rather as single material in the vein of their single A-sides from the later '60s and into the early '70s. The lyrics not considered, as to musical style, with its family likeness as finished product (in my perspective) to "Street Fighting Man", but more single oriented than that one, it might have been released as a single in 1970, after "Honky Tonk Women" and LET IT BLEED and before STICKY FINGERS. That is, released following not to tightly after "Street Fighting Man"'s album BEGGARS BANQUET, but with a single release in between them. Released as a double A-side, consisting of the two versions.

what?

That is to say, that the double a sided nature of the musical style, when one does not consider the lyrics, would lend it credence to be released as a single in the period after BEGGARS BANQUET but not extending past STICKY FINGERS.

That is to say most appropriately and more specifically post Honky Tonk Women but not exceeding the period where the Brown Sugar maxi-single makes its premiere.

I hope that clarifies things.

Date: November 3, 2012 16:36

treaclefingers
StonesTod
Witness
flilflam

Comments?

what?

That is to say, that the double a sided nature of the musical style, when one does not consider the lyrics, would lend it credence to be released as a single in the period after BEGGARS BANQUET but not extending past STICKY FINGERS.

That is to say most appropriately and more specifically post Honky Tonk Women but not exceeding the period where the Brown Sugar maxi-single makes its premiere.

huh?

Date: November 3, 2012 16:51

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Witness
flilflam

Comments?

what?

huh?

Sorry, I'm busy right now putting together another new thread. I'm thinking of calling it "365 Days of Rolling Stones - these are a few of my favourite things".

Date: November 3, 2012 17:00

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Witness
flilflam

Comments?

what?

huh?

Sorry, I'm busy right now putting together another new thread. I'm thinking of calling it "365 Days of Rolling Stones - these are a few of my favourite things".

why 365? so random...

Date: November 3, 2012 17:04

If Streets Of Love had been released earlier...

Date: November 3, 2012 17:04

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Witness
flilflam

Comments?

what?

huh?

why 365? so random...

...and we may not get there...I'm up to 45 things.

Date: November 3, 2012 17:17

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Witness
flilflam

Comments?

what?

huh?

why 365? so random...

...and we may not get there...I'm up to 45 things.

mhm. and now you're smack dab in the middle of the christmas rush, too

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 3, 2012 17:18

More Hot Rocks
GravityBoy
Emotional Rescue.

I like ER.

Date: November 3, 2012 17:26

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
If Streets Of Love had been released earlier...

I can't myself see some earlier time that this song hypothetically could have been released, but possibly. Apart from that, have you started to compare "Streets of Love" and "Doom and Gloom"?

Date: November 3, 2012 17:37

GravityBoy
More Hot Rocks
GravityBoy
Emotional Rescue.

I like ER.

Among post-SOME GIRLS-albums I usually rank EMOTIONAL RESCUE as possibly their second best album (UNDERCOVER as a little better). But in all due respect to EMOTIONAL RESCUE and to your view, my own is that the song would not quite fit in there.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 3, 2012 18:05

A tough question, since "Doom and Gloom" is so 2012.

To me it is a first serious rocker for ages when Jagger has used the Stones as his vehicle of expression... in teh sense that he is trying to synthetize the traditional Stones sound to contempoary scene. So in that sense the references to his solo albums are relevant... But I think this one simply is better because, well, the band is better..

So maybe I would locate it to DIRTY WORK... namely that album is the first one Jagger is not 100% present. Could have given a bit focus on the album, and would have been a nice follower to "Undercover of The Night". (But usually I don't like this kind of anachronism, but who cares. let's fool around a bit... )

- Doxa

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 3, 2012 18:09

...it would have gotten tons of radio play. It's a great, straight up rock and roll song, but that kind of music rarely gets much play on the radio anymore.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 3, 2012 18:43

Since this thread deals the song, here is some more praisal...

My favourite moment in the song - a bit that really hits home - is the first time Jagger screams "what is all about!" - it's that straight-forward attitude there, the edge, that really works on this old fan. The fact that there is not much 'melody' or clever hooks going on, doesn't matter. It is actually very rare when that kind of simple musical idea works, but this time it does.

- Doxa

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1736
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home